Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ashes of Creation - Why I’m Excited, But Avoiding Hype - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited October 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageAshes of Creation - Why I’m Excited, But Avoiding Hype - MMORPG.com

Enter Ashes of Creation. Here is a game that is marketing itself to someone in my exact shoes; people missing that wonderment and immersion and most importantly the sense of community that comes from grouping being a primary means of getting things accomplished. A part of me would love nothing more than to run into an area and should ‘camp check’ like my days of yore. Despite my own misgivings I find myself excited at the prospect - which is why I simultaneously try to and try not be.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    I miss the days of not really knowing anything about a game until it was about to actual release. I guess that was also the time when you couldn't pay to get into alphas/beta. The lack of patience in today's generation continues to open the flood gates to greed and lazy development. Companies takes your money first before you give to them. How they've went about trying to get your money has never changed. They've always pitched key words/phrases and showed teasers, its just the desperation and impatience that exists more now than in the past that leads to so many failures in this particular industry.
    TokkenaxtrantiLeFantomeTekaelonBlacklabelcalibeebop500[Deleted User]mmrvcielyChaserzand 6 others.
  • axtrantiaxtranti Member UncommonPosts: 95

Albatroes said:

I miss the days of not really knowing anything about a game until it was about to actual release. I guess that was also the time when you couldn't pay to get into alphas/beta. The lack of patience in today's generation continues to open the flood gates to greed and lazy development. Companies takes your money first before you give to them. How they've went about trying to get your money has never changed. They've always pitched key words/phrases and showed teasers, its just the desperation and impatience that exists more now than in the past that leads to so many failures in this particular industry.

inb4 founder pack white knights dislike your comment.
    Blacklabelcali

asdasdasd

• RhygarthRhygarth Member UncommonPosts: 259
    I can remember going to my local software shop back in the good old 2001 and buying anarchy online from just looking at the box, none of the hype/alpha/beta BS, I played AO for a good part of 6 years, bring back the days when you could walk into a software shop and come out with a game you know nothing about.
    Xoph
  • KnyttaKnytta Member UncommonPosts: 414
    edited October 2017
    I would still like an explanation on how they will balance PVP with what that seems to mostly be a game that target a PVE customer base. Lots of people will hate to have all the stuff they toiled for being destroyed.

Chi puo dir com'egli arde é in picciol fuoco.

He who can describe the flame does not burn.

Petrarch

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    While reading the article it was impossible to know which game you were talking about, it could have been Pantheon, Chronicles of Elyria, Bless, Saga of Lucimia or countless other games you were excited about. 

I honestly don't understand why Ashes of Creation is going to be better. The creative director has no experience in making games, its just recently they managed to recruit a lead designer and they aren't remotely close on having an AAA budget. The living world is something lots of others have promised and none of them have ever delivered on it.

Why is this game going to be different?

pantaro[Deleted User]KyleranAlomarsakerMadFrenchieJamesGoblinwinghaven1
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    This looks great and if it comes out I will play it for sure.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Hope it works out for you.
    YashaX
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    edited October 2017
    Paying in advance sucks for sure, but the alternative is no alternative at all. People who invest are no longer throwing it at mmorpgs. As a consumer, if you're unhappy with the status quo of this genre and complain about crowdfunding, you don't have a leg to stand on. Put up or shut up.
    [Deleted User]OzmodanYashaX

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    This game is so far down the road I am not even worrying about it.  If it comes out in 2018 I would be shocked.  It is probably a 2019 or 2020 title.  Who knows what it will look like when it is released.  

Usually what happens with these games, promised features either don't make it in at release or never do.  So they can talk about the game all they want, but it is just hot air for now.
    BruceYeeAlomarSadfist
  • DaranarDaranar Member UncommonPosts: 392
    Is this title going to be old-school in the sense of a subscription or is it going to whore itself to the cash shop?  Might have to add this to my radar along side Pantheon.

If I want a world in which people can purchase success and power with cash, I'll play Real Life. Keep Virtual Worlds Virtual!

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Seems like this article should be about Pantheon, not Ashes, which I'm guessing would resemble ArcheAge more than EQ1.
    YashaX

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Nothing impressive at all. Still just smoke and mirrors right now.
  • acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    edited October 2017
    Backed Ashes on KS, so I'm optimistic, but cautious at the same time. Not sure I really want to know much more until it’s close to release*... but if I had to pick something, I would want to know about the feel of the world; does it inspire adventure? Does it beg to be explored? Or is it just another pseudo-randomly generated field with a bunch of stuff dropped on it?

* Feedback is important in any creative process, but I'm not a believer in 'design by community', so if the Devs don't have a clear vision of what they are creating, and / or aren't smart enough to solve their own problems in good ways, the game probably isn't worth the text editor it's written in.
  • JacobinJacobin Member RarePosts: 1,009
    All AoC has proven is that a feature list and a few scenes in Unreal Engine 4 can be passed off as AAA quality MMO gameplay and will convince a few thousand people to give you hundreds of dollars.

I am sure Sharif wants to believe he can 'rebirth' a multi-billion dollar genre just like Xango revolutionized the health food industry with 40$ a bottle orange juice.

JamesGoblinYashaX
  • sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458
    I hope no one actually looked at that video and thought it was "game play"... Seriously, I know there are all-too-many who can be so easily enthralled by pretty pictures and propaganda (especially it seems these lunatic-days). "pre-alpha footage", um...
    YashaX
  • SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498

Rhygarth said:

I can remember going to my local software shop back in the good old 2001 and buying anarchy online from just looking at the box, none of the hype/alpha/beta BS, I played AO for a good part of 6 years, bring back the days when you could walk into a software shop and come out with a game you know nothing about.

Crap, I just miss the days I could walk into a software shop.
    Kyleranobii
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

Samhael said:

Rhygarth said:

yep I remember around 1983 walking into a Computer Store and their little 1 shelf of games and seeing Wizardry 2, and getting so excited, I never even knew they were making a second one
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    acidblood said:
    Backed Ashes on KS, so I'm optimistic, but cautious at the same time. Not sure I really want to know much more until it’s close to release*... but if I had to pick something, I would want to know about the feel of the world; does it inspire adventure? Does it beg to be explored? Or is it just another pseudo-randomly generated field with a bunch of stuff dropped on it?

* Feedback is important in any creative process, but I'm not a believer in 'design by community', so if the Devs don't have a clear vision of what they are creating, and / or aren't smart enough to solve their own problems in good ways, the game probably isn't worth the text editor it's written in.
    There is value in having players entering your world finding out game solutions that work and when developers did things poorly. There is simply not enough time for developers to check out the design on their own, they have to keep building new things and improve on old things.

Game development has always been an iterative process and the idea of genius developers that can have full control over everything doesn't exist for big games unless you can find someone feeding you $2M every month for 10 years.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    edited October 2017
    Shaigh said:
    While reading the article it was impossible to know which game you were talking about, it could have been Pantheon, Chronicles of Elyria, Bless, Saga of Lucimia or countless other games you were excited about. 

I honestly don't understand why Ashes of Creation is going to be better. The creative director has no experience in making games, its just recently they managed to recruit a lead designer and they aren't remotely close on having an AAA budget. The living world is something lots of others have promised and none of them have ever delivered on it.

Why is this game going to be different?

how about they have almost half the former team of EQ1 and EQ2? Does this qualify as experience?
  • Possum6381Possum6381 Member CommonPosts: 8

Shaigh said:

...and they aren't remotely close on having an AAA budget.

Are you basing this statement on the Kickstarter funding? Because that's just the icing on the cake. They stated several times that the game was fully funded before Kickstarter. The Kickstarter campaign was only to allow the community to be a part of the game and to include additional things beyond the base game. These things may have been something that got added later, but the KS campaign enables their inclusion when the game goes live.

Shaigh said:

...and they aren't remotely close on having an AAA budget.

Are you basing this statement on the Kickstarter funding? Because that's just the icing on the cake. They stated several times that the game was fully funded before Kickstarter. The Kickstarter campaign was only to allow the community to be a part of the game and to include additional things beyond the base game. These things may have been something that got added later, but the KS campaign enables their inclusion when the game goes live.
    Stating you have access to $30M for the base game is a far cry from actually having the money in hand.

Of course, developer's never lie so I can see why you have such strong faith on its delivery.

;)

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Myrdynn said:

Samhael said:

Rhygarth said:

yep I remember around 1983 walking into a Computer Store and their little 1 shelf of games and seeing Wizardry 2, and getting so excited, I never even knew they were making a second one
    I remember buying Baldurs Gate, so many discs. I was so impressed. I miss huge boxes that smell funky. Manuals in color with a 100+ pages. Seperate maps. I miss discovering 'gems' like Harvester or the great Nox. So many surprises and loveable stuff...

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    SamhaelSadfist
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    This article should have been a forum post, got to have some standards mmorpg.com.

Jacobin
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    I really miss going to game shops and looking at huge cardboard cutouts and feeling excited or looking at the shelves and going through them hoping to find the game you're looking for. I found Everquest like that it was in a wire basket sitting there with this lady elf and I picked it up wondering whether I would like to play it. Little did I know it would take over my life. In retrospect may be I should have left it in the wire basket.

Now I just troll sites like Humble Bundle and Steam or GoG looking for games but it is nowhere near that tactile experience looking for games once was.
    Kyleran

lahnmir said:
    Myrdynn said:

Samhael said:

Rhygarth said:

I remember buying Baldurs Gate, so many discs. I was so impressed. I miss huge boxes that smell funky. Manuals in color with a 100+ pages. Seperate maps. I miss discovering 'gems' like Harvester or the great Nox. So many surprises and loveable stuff...

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    What I don't miss is bringing the game home from the store and one of the installation "floppy" disks (5 1/4 at first) had a bad sector (or you had a slightly imperfect drive).

You had to either return to the store for another copy, or once they stopped accepting returns wait for the publisher to ship you a new disk or disk set.

Some games had 8 or so disks, greatly increasing the chance of one failing, CDs were a huge improvement in game delivery.