Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Destiny 2 PC Review In Progress - Destiny 2 Columns

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited October 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageDestiny 2 PC Review In Progress - Destiny 2 Columns

Destiny 2 is finally out on the PC, and we spent a good chunk of yesterday toying around with the new shiny shooter from Bungie. There are two main gripes we have about the PC version so far, but neither are absolutely debilitating. Read on for our Destiny 2 PC review in progress.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• DeadSpockDeadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 403
    You didn't mention the music it's EPIC even some of my friends that didn't like the game much loved the music.
    ZenJellyjgDuffayonelesslightOctagon7711[Deleted User]ElvocJemAs666TintagillaxieMrMelGibsonand 1 other.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    I don't know why they removed the ability to see player activity. I really hope that doesn't mean numbers are going to drastically fall. Usually them removing that means they want to hide how good or bad something is doing, and it's almost always not good.
    PhryZandogAlomar
  • DineohmightDineohmight Member UncommonPosts: 6
    Does MMORPG have a destiny 2 clan?
  • yphanh2002yphanh2002 Member UncommonPosts: 57
    I believe they do based on this sentence

" That’s only usable on the companion phone app or in the browser (that’s our MMORPG clan, if you want to join up)."
    Phrydjnj2000
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    So no in game chat again, come on Bungie its current century ffs, why is it out of game for chat or on a phone app of all things how backward/retarded can they possibly get by not having those things in game, or is the game so limited in multiplayer options that even the chat functionality isn't even up to standards you would expect to get from an MMO as a minimum, though i guess if further proof that Destiny 2 is not an MMO was needed, then that is probably it. I guess this means Guilds etc. will have no other option than using third party voice chat options such as Discord, as i doubt the voice chat in Destiny 2 is any better than it was in Destiny 1, which was bordering on completely useless.
    Phry said:
    So no in game chat again, come on Bungie its current century ffs, why is it out of game for chat or on a phone app of all things how backward/retarded can they possibly get by not having those things in game, or is the game so limited in multiplayer options that even the chat functionality isn't even up to standards you would expect to get from an MMO as a minimum, though i guess if further proof that Destiny 2 is not an MMO was needed, then that is probably it. I guess this means Guilds etc. will have no other option than using third party voice chat options such as Discord, as i doubt the voice chat in Destiny 2 is any better than it was in Destiny 1, which was bordering on completely useless.
    That was something that I'm glad got changed a bit originally. I remember back when the game launched there was no functioning voice chat. Even then they way they added it was almost 100% useless. I don't think I've ever heard anyone using voice chat, most people just join party chats outside of the game on the consoles. That includes Xbox and PS4, I've played on both quite a bit. 

It's actually really strange when developers do this. The same thing happened with Splatoon 2 and having a phone only voice chat, or the fact that you could only report someone with the phone app, and not in game. I wonder what causes developers to make strange decisions like this. Just like the fact that you cannot match make for nightfalls or raids, or anything that is slightly difficult at all. I wonder if it has something to do with getting people more involved than pushing a button causing some thought process that makes you want to play the game more. I don't know. With a company that size there's gotta be some reason.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Phry said:
    That was something that I'm glad got changed a bit originally. I remember back when the game launched there was no functioning voice chat. Even then they way they added it was almost 100% useless. I don't think I've ever heard anyone using voice chat, most people just join party chats outside of the game on the consoles. That includes Xbox and PS4, I've played on both quite a bit. 

It's actually really strange when developers do this. The same thing happened with Splatoon 2 and having a phone only voice chat, or the fact that you could only report someone with the phone app, and not in game. I wonder what causes developers to make strange decisions like this. Just like the fact that you cannot match make for nightfalls or raids, or anything that is slightly difficult at all. I wonder if it has something to do with getting people more involved than pushing a button causing some thought process that makes you want to play the game more. I don't know. With a company that size there's gotta be some reason.
    The only problem is that players are less likely to get involved, maybe this is one of the reasons why players on the console versions abandoned the game so quickly, maybe once you have completed the single player aspect of the game, there just isn't the support there for the multiplayer parts, which was also a huge problem for Destiny 1, many of the raids were just not an option because you couldn't find people to do them, if Destiny 2 has the same problem, and it looks very much like it does, then there is really little to no longevity in this game, its not just short sighted, its a design decision that suggests a staggering degree of incompetence, surely this can't be right? they must know that on PC this kind of thing is not really tolerated? :o
  • ZandogZandog Member UncommonPosts: 97
    So let me get this straight from what's been posted so far:

- Global player tracker removed that was present before the PC release.
    - No chat system to communicate in raids?
    - No match making or raid listing system?

I haven't played a Destiny game yet but all the salt this second installment is getting keeps me from buying it.
    AlomarPhixion13Joseph_Kerr
    Every time Goonsquad/SA/DS post salt on Star Citizen, I spend more money on it. Every time a mentally disturbed former backer or Elite CMDR toxic emo comments, I spend more money on it. Every time they refuse to answer why they spend so much time arguing about a game they don't even like, I spend more money on it. Want to watch the world burn because you can't have your way? You got whats coming to you.
    Phry said:
    Phry said:

The only problem is that players are less likely to get involved, maybe this is one of the reasons why players on the console versions abandoned the game so quickly, maybe once you have completed the single player aspect of the game, there just isn't the support there for the multiplayer parts, which was also a huge problem for Destiny 1, many of the raids were just not an option because you couldn't find people to do them, if Destiny 2 has the same problem, and it looks very much like it does, then there is really little to no longevity in this game, its not just short sighted, its a design decision that suggests a staggering degree of incompetence, surely this can't be right? they must know that on PC this kind of thing is not really tolerated? :o
    Well the thing is, the population didn't leave on the console versions. They stayed extremely high population in everything. You could go on looking for group sites and see hundreds of groups advertised at any time of day. Most queues for anything would pop within seconds. I had a lot of friends who dumped thousands of hours into the original Destiny and are pretty much going at that rate for Destiny 2. It's weird how high the retention was/is for the series. 
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    That long slow walk seemed exactly like the one in Mass Effect 3 with Shepard at the end, which got me to noticing how a lot of the game seemed to be taken from ME.

Also it was interesting to see all those scenic views but try to actually walk around in them and you instantly get a red screen and a countdown telling you to go back in a few seconds or else, so look but don't touch. Serving as a constant reminder of what built on rails means.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• rertezrertez Member UncommonPosts: 230
    Zandog said:
    So let me get this straight from what's been posted so far:

- Global player tracker removed that was present before the PC release.
    - No chat system to communicate in raids?
    - No match making or raid listing system?

I haven't played a Destiny game yet but all the salt this second installment is getting keeps me from buying it.
    Regarding the raid as far as I've seen it the raid can't be completed without continously using voice communication. Chat would be just too slow for immediately making calls on randomly popping symbols and targets. The whole raid is designed around constantly solving quick puzzles over voice com. The puzzle mechanics can make the encounters really frustrating or even impossible for groups that lack proper communication tools and skills.

I do agree that text chat is a must have feature in a game like this but I think it wouldn't help raids but communication outside of combat.
    Zandog
  • RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    edited October 2017
    the game is not nearly good enough yet for me to be interested.
    Phixion13ValanarrMarian1979
  • Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    That’s it, that was Destiny 2, hope you enjoyed it, thank you for your business, please watch for our DLC content which should be available next week, for only $40.
    forcelimaPhixion13Keldor837ShodanasJoseph_KerrValanarr
  • HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    edited October 2017

DeadSpock said:

You didn't mention the music it's EPIC even some of my friends that didn't like the game much loved the music.

Agree the music is amazing, defo one of the high points of this game, but at times it's as if the person who implemented it didn't really care where it went and threw it in even if it doesn't fit :/
    [Deleted User]Octagon7711
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    edited October 2017
    no chat , no way ingame to socialize , and thats a mmofps? lol
    klash2defMarian1979
  • exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    Sorry but there is no Destiny 2 yet, you have been sold as fool. Beside watching some streams, this game lacks quality. Its a quick money grab with Destiny 1 engine and assets.
    Phixion13
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    For the record - there IS in-game chat, just not CLAN chat. I tried to make that clear. Plus VOIP.
    [Deleted User]Octagon7711jgDuffay

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    I was lucky enough to get almost a full day in thanks to my wife conveniently taking our daughter to meet her mother and sister :)
    For what Destiny 2 is I think it does it very well. The combat is the most satisfying experience I've found in a game in a while. I don' t think it will vary enough between the classes to make the replay as fulfilling as it could be though.

About clan chat . . . how much is that still used? Most guilds I have been in used voice primarily, even for casual banter. With all the overlays provided by different social apps and the popularity of Discord it might not have been seen as a worthwhile effort to add it in.

I would have liked the world to be more open as well, but that isn't what this game is, and I think I'd prefer the warning to an invisible wall, I definitely prefer it to a visible wall.

My wishlist is allowing 3rd person all the time and add helmets off all the time n top of that. For now when I'm running around I just equip a sword to get my preferred view. Then I have to look at the back of the helmet though . . .

After a while doing events and quests on Earth I decided to do the main story first and unlock my other 2 subclasses. On the 3rd world now and I love it, very fantastic and alien, and even the enemies act very different that the Fallen and Red Legion. There is still so much to explore on all the worlds, and there is stuff to find while exploring, just some chests with common mats and reputation items, but better than nothing.

I am still waiting for someone else to realize that they could put a lot more money into a game and still get as good of an RoI. Despite Destiny 2 being a great game, I find myself constantly thinking it could have been so much more and attracted a lot more players.
    Octagon7711[Deleted User]
  • spidiispidii Member UncommonPosts: 143
    Gameplay is excellent, particle effects are superb but unfortunately, there's nothing to do. Not worth the price tag by any means. Wait until a few DLCs are out and they sell it all in a package on sale. So disappointed at the missed opportunity.
    Phixion13MikehaBananaSoupMarian1979
  • cesmode8cesmode8 Member UncommonPosts: 431
    edited October 2017
    Gameplay is smooth. No bugs. No lag.

Gunplay is smooth and visceral.

Music is epic.

Graphics, world design, skyboxes are amazing.

Voice acting is top knotch (and I mean it...hardly any game can actually make me laugh).

Very nice play through. The game teaches you a decent amount as you go in a pretty clear way. There are system flaws though that I can point out. But one big issue for me is lack of classes and build diversity. But I guess every game doesnt need it.

For this launch...because its scary to give a 10/10, Ill give an 8.5-9 / 10.
    [Deleted User]exile01BananaSoup
  • kreakrea Member UncommonPosts: 237
    Realy liking the game but realy want to have clan chat and maybe a general chat channel , if they put this in i will be very happy.
    [Deleted User]BananaSoup
  • MurmelixMurmelix Member UncommonPosts: 53
    i want to remove my helmet :( always :(
    esc-joconnorBananaSoup
  • justanothergamerjustanothergamer Member CommonPosts: 11
    Could be the best game ever, but since you cannot bind anything to the numpad keys, I got a refund.

2017, PC game, and you cannot bind to the numpad keys.
    NordicApacheMaelzraelBananaSoupMarian1979
  • Phixion13Phixion13 Member UncommonPosts: 190
    This game is pure hype imo and made to milk. You want a good Destiny 2? Wait for a DLC bundle. You get your fix and then you realize you are ankle deep in content. The UI's functionality and little missing bits prove this wasn't a "lets do the PC version right" and more of a double dip console port. It's got some great elements and the gunplay is smooth but in the end you will wonder how much some of these reviewers actually played.

- PC players with controllers get aim assist in PvP (Hand cannon + controller = gg)
    - Story feels meh and out of place in an "epic" setting
    - No REAL chat to socialize.
    - Campaign is 7-10 hours with some grinding to meet mission lvl reqs
    - Can top out gear power in a week or two...
    - More exotic drops, but more duplicates as well
    - Them one time use shaders, assume to sell them micros more.
    - Banned players before they hit the menu...
    NordicApacheMaelzraelPhry
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Could be the best game ever, but since you cannot bind anything to the numpad keys, I got a refund.

2017, PC game, and you cannot bind to the numpad keys.
    Showing its console roots perhaps?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon