Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Grim Dawn - The RPG Files - Grim Dawn - Ashes of Malmouth is An Excellent Expansion - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited October 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageGrim Dawn - The RPG Files - Grim Dawn - Ashes of Malmouth is An Excellent Expansion - MMORPG.com

With it’s new expansion, Ashes of Malmouth released earlier this month, Grim Dawn had a pretty high bar to reach in regards to content and features if it was going to live up to its name. After spending several hours with the expansion I’m here to share my experience and thoughts. So grab that coffee, sit back and check out our review of Grim Dawn: Ashes of Malmouth.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    Nice review. I agree!
    NordicApacheValanarr

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Amazing game. Totally underrated. I know it's recognised.. but with Blizzard's marketing power behind Diablo and Path of Exiles being 100% free.. this game gets overlooked by a lot of people. It shouldn't.
    NordicApachec0796etharnValanarr
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • CazrielCazriel Member RarePosts: 419
    Agree. Fabulous. Necromancer is a blast to play. Summons are swift and deadly, especially crossbowmen and mages. Lots of synergy with older classes as well, occultist and shaman being the most dead on. Yeah, pun. Cheers!
    NordicApachePurplePoloPlayer
  • UNH0LYEV1LUNH0LYEV1L Member UncommonPosts: 571
    Grim Dawn is a sweet game. Wish it got more attention. The guys that made Titan Quest also made this game and its a real gem.
    NordicApachePurplePoloPlayer
  • acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    My one issue with Grim Dawn is that I can never decide what class combo to play; too many fun and interesting options... Anyway, I agree with the review, Grim Dawn is truly an excellent ARPG and Ashes of Malmouth only makes it better.

PS. And although it's a bit sad to say, it also helps that Grim Dawn is pretty much the only top tier ARPG without an online requirement, cash shop, or microtransactions.
    NordicApachec0796
  • cmacqcmacq Member UncommonPosts: 331
    Have to admit the expansion has me playing again. Well done Crate!
  • time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    its great. but i wish it was an mmo. or lobby game at least.
    etharn

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
  • EldrachEldrach Member RarePosts: 416
    I'm just hoping the funding from Grim Dawn gives them enough resources to make a working closed server sequel with ladders etc.
    [Deleted User]
  • TheelyTheely Member UncommonPosts: 430
    I wish it had some type of end-game grind like D3's rifts and PoE's maps. The Crucible just doesn't sit well with me for some reason. Great game though, it is my go to when I'm done with a PoE league and still craving some arpg fun.
  • ElthiumElthium Member UncommonPosts: 88
    I think I've put more time into this game than anything else over the years. Cracker of an expansion (lot of games would classify this expansion as a full game), started my Warlock on Elite and got sent back to Veteran with my tail between my legs. Playing my Necro as a Cabalist and having a ball watching the skelies wrecking anything that moves.
  • NordicApacheNordicApache Member UncommonPosts: 134
    I am absolutely loving this game and the expansion. Great review for a great, low key and humble game.
  • PurplePoloPlayerPurplePoloPlayer Member UncommonPosts: 145
    Only buy it if you plan on playing single player. Multiplayer is an awful experience.
    Check out my stream at www.twitch.tv/purplepoloplayer!
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    Finally an ASHES game that I can enjoy :)

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    man I have played GD for a couple years now, I really have a problem with the expansion, is that I am so used to playing Grimmest/Grimmer that playing Vanilla is just so boring and unrewarding
  • AgeniAgeni Member UncommonPosts: 44
    I am playing it whole week already and that expansion is just perfect! Playing Necro with Arcanist and my lifesteal is so nice! I am enjoying it so far!
  • sibs4455sibs4455 Member UncommonPosts: 369
    Just hit 1100 hours on this arpg which is not bad for a go to game.
    I really wish GD had seasons with online monitoring and server side saves, i would willingly pay for that.
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    You can literally finish this game while holding the left mouse button and pressing 1 every now and then with a pet build.
    Ozmodan

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    I wish game developers would stop using distributors that force you to install a third party app just to download and play the game. Also, GoG is pretty bad since hardly anyone uses it - so you will have slim pickings for people to do multi-player with.

They should just put this on the Windows Store and use Xbox Live.

Also, they need to bundle. Game is going to be $100 just to buy with all the content, soon, due to the base game and expansions all costing $30-50 each.
  • doodeskaderdoodeskader Member UncommonPosts: 32
    edited October 2017
    It has been a while since i played a game this good.My nr 1 game ever is stil Ferentus but Diablo 2 is now nr 3 cause Grim Dawn is my new NR 2.What a fantastic feeling. You cant go wrong buying this game.
  • berlightberlight Member UncommonPosts: 345
    This is the "true" ARPG. Best in years for anyone that trully loves this category.
    Until we have acces to Lost Ark, Wolcen and Lineage eternal there is nothing on the market currently that can match this game, and even those will have to prove them selfs.
    PoE comes in second atleast for my personal choice. I have more the 1000hrs in both GD and PoE, and at least for me, the attention on detail on GD is superior. I greatly recommend this game. Cheers.

Beta tester maniac

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Akulas said:
    You can literally finish this game while holding the left mouse button and pressing 1 every now and then with a pet build.
    An obvious person who never played GD.  Pets are definitely NOT that strong in this game.
  • kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    Thing is with this game..
    Story and atmosphere wise it beats PoE and Diablo.
    Completely up to par on fun action combat.
    Pretty advanced and stays in the sweet spot between ridiculously complex Math of Exile and simple linear stat based Diablo3.

It is just, once I completed the story, that is it - It was a great experience for x hours and pretty much worth the money, but I can not get myself to grind in a offline game (multiplayer is no online game). I tried starting a new build to try something different, but it didn't catch the second time, maybe in a few years it will feel fresh for another playthrough.
    I know the developers have stated they will not make it online game, which is why in my book it will never be a comparison to PoE or Diablo - Grim Dawn remains what it is, a well made single player story rpg.
    Ozmodan said:
    Akulas said:
    An obvious person who never played GD.  Pets are definitely NOT that strong in this game.
    My personal experience from vanilla suggests other wise. Barring the last boss getting from elite to ulimate. Componant skill + Hellhound, raven, eldritch, pi, bone spirits. + Primal spirit as required. Chuck in a few CC flashbang, vindictive flame and then stand at the back casting your component skill until the mobs die. That is literally how I play the game.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    Akulas said:
    Ozmodan said:
    Akulas said:
    My personal experience from vanilla suggests other wise. Barring the last boss getting from elite to ulimate. Componant skill + Hellhound, raven, eldritch, pi, bone spirits. + Primal spirit as required. Chuck in a few CC flashbang, vindictive flame and then stand at the back casting your component skill until the mobs die. That is literally how I play the game.
    There are literally hundreds of class/skill combinations.  Why would you play one that you find boring?
    Cazriel

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Akulas said:
    Ozmodan said:
    Akulas said:
    There are literally hundreds of class/skill combinations.  Why would you play one that you find boring?
    I don't find it boring. There is a lazy mans option on how to play. I use it. 
    [Deleted User]