Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Every Game Will be an MMO (of sorts) - Garrett Fuller - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited October 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageEvery Game Will be an MMO (of sorts) - Garrett Fuller - MMORPG.com

With consoles now catching up to PCs and MMOs hosted on every platform including mobile, players pay through microtransactions and DLC content. It is a proven income which works well finding that fine line between buying a single player game and forcing a subscription on players after they have left a game. It all adds up to the saying, every game will be online in the future.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    lmao IN!
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    Oh for the love of ...
    MadFrenchie[Deleted User]NildenConstantineMerusAelious
  • GreatswordGreatsword Member RarePosts: 355
    Reminds me of an interesting article: 20 years after Diablo, every game is Diablo.
    Phaserlight
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited October 2017
    Two things.

1. The big firms just using marketing strategies to redefine MMO. Which is very clever of them because they want to attract that audience.

2. However, the problem is they should have done that 5 years ago. That audience is no longer a boom of people, those people have moved to private server experiences.

at least that is how I see it, its hunch based on;ly

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• ShadowStyleBShadowStyleB Member UncommonPosts: 315
    As much as people like to compare Anthem to Destiny it is more like WarFrame than anything else. That being said I believe every new game will go with an open world environment.

The thing I hope it differs greatly from Destiny is story. One thing old school MMORPG's did well was have a story yes the quest were fetch or kill but the story was in the game.
    infomatz[Deleted User]

"You think this "A" stands for France?" Captain America

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    As much as people like to compare Anthem to Destiny it is more like WarFrame than anything else. That being said I believe every new game will go with an open world environment.

The thing I hope it differs greatly from Destiny is story. One thing old school MMORPG's did well was have a story yes the quest were fetch or kill but the story was in the game.
    yeah well at least in my mind 'open world' is also a word that gets abused.

Case in point, to me, GTA series and STALKER are anti-open world because in the case of GTA nearly 1/2 of the map is traditionally locked from access until missions are done. In the case of Stalker in all four directions I more than once experienced invisible walls and I only had one way out

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• joewolf79joewolf79 Member UncommonPosts: 31
    This is exactly the opposite of what I want as a consumer. Maybe its partly generational, as I'm 38, but its also largely due to internet quality in the midwest.
    Ayin
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    This article is sad but true. Everything in life is about money for most people. Gone are the days that you felt that you could genuinely connect with a developer/publisher because they were a gamer like you. I'm not saying that all are like that but honestly most are. But honestly almost everything has been like this throughout history, the Renaissance Era being a prime example.
    Steelhelm
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    The death blow to single player RPGs?

I think you mean the death blow to EA single player RPGs. There are plenty of awesome RPGs out there. None of them from EA because they're shit at it.

Too bad EA doesn’t get out of the business of making games altogether.
    BruceYee[Deleted User]ConstantineMerusrojoArcueidinfomatzAyinMabushii

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    There's always going to be a market for single-player games.
    You might have to go online to play them, but that mode of play will likely always exist.
    MrMelGibsonsschruppAyin
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    So basically: They don't make MMOs but they charge the customers like they were.
    MadFrenchieConstantineMerusAeliousAyin[Deleted User]MabushiiSteelhelm
  • onelesslightonelesslight Member UncommonPosts: 161
    edited October 2017
    I like MMOs (and don't tend to like people), but I'll continue to desire single-player RPGs. So I'll just continue to give my money to Obsidian, Nippon Ichi, GUST, etc. It's not like the large publishers/companies are the only game makers out there.
    rojoArcueidsschruppAyinMabushii
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    Games as a Service (GaaS) is the next big thing coming, and many devs both large and small will be exploring this space.
    klash2defConstantineMerus[Deleted User]Mabushii

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Consoles are still catching up and will likely never catch up.Gaming in general is aiming at cheaper builds,faster,less risk,easy to market with cash shops.

So it is not about consoles catching up,it is more we are not seeing enough HQ PC games that distinguish themselves far above console gaming.Like a 5/10 game is imo crap no matter what platform it is on,but then some media outlet or marketing team will claim consoles have caught up.No they are still 5-6/10 games or worse,just that PC games are also 5-6/10,PC gaming needs to step up.

Just look at Hearthstone as an example,it is a game designed like a crappy console/cell phone game using Unity but is best played on PC,does that make it a good PC game,not a chance and after 3 years,no controller support for the PC really tells the whole story of how cheap and lazy developers have become.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• KooturKootur Member UncommonPosts: 352
    Single player games are dead. Nobody will pay 59.99 for a single player ONLY game and most companies would rather spend the money on game play than a 5 hour single player game.
    MadFrenchiejimmywolfAyinMabushii
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Title should have read "EA will focus on multi-player games going forward".
    [Deleted User]ConstantineMerus
  • acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    I hope not... multiplayer can add a certain something to games when done right, but most MMOs (including the traditional ones) have pretty low standards when it comes to meta and / or moment-to-moment gameplay to fit that multiplayer in.

Kootur said:

Single player games are dead. Nobody will pay 59.99 for a single player ONLY game and most companies would rather spend the money on game play than a 5 hour single player game.

Horizon: Zero Dawn, Persona 5, The Last of Us*, Zelda BotW, FF:XII Zodiac Age, The Witcher 3, and a lot of other well made single players games from the past few years would like to disagree with you.
    * Yes TLOU has multiplayer, but you could easy ignore it with the singleplayer offering more than enough for the asking price.
  • KooturKootur Member UncommonPosts: 352
    acidblood said:
    I hope not... multiplayer can add a certain something to games when done right, but most MMOs (including the traditional ones) have pretty low standards when it comes to meta and / or moment-to-moment gameplay to fit that multiplayer in.

Kootur said:

Horizon: Zero Dawn, Persona 5, The Last of Us*, Zelda BotW, FF:XII Zodiac Age, The Witcher 3, and a lot of other well made single players games from the past few years would like to disagree with you.
    * Yes TLOU has multiplayer, but you could easy ignore it with the singleplayer offering more than enough for the asking price.
    I don't see any new franchises with single player only being made. Maybe 1 or 2 but they will be rare.
  • Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    edited October 2017
    World of Warcraft is getting better by virtue of other games sucking so bad right out of the gate, $15/month is steal suddenly.
  • acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878

Kootur said:

acidblood said:

Kootur said:

I don't see any new franchises with single player only being made. Maybe 1 or 2 but they will be rare.

True, singleplayer games (big budget AAA ones at least) have been, and will probably continue to be, rarer than they have been in the past, but that does not mean that the market is dead and 'Nobody will pay 59.99 for a single player ONLY game'... it's just that good SP games generally take more effort, and make less profit, than the mirco-transaction landen 'survival' 'open-world' 'sandbox' 'sudo-MMO's that currently seem to be all the rage.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    acidblood said:

Kootur said:

acidblood said:

Kootur said:

True, singleplayer games (big budget AAA ones at least) have been, and will probably continue to be, rarer than they have been in the past, but that does not mean that the market is dead and 'Nobody will pay 59.99 for a single player ONLY game'... it's just that good SP games generally take more effort, and make less profit, than the mirco-transaction landen 'survival' 'open-world' 'sandbox' 'sudo-MMO's that currently seem to be all the rage.
    I think the nobody part was tongue in cheek.  But I agree with him that the big budget linear singleplayer games just don't seem worth the asking price anymore.

Mostly because singleplayer indie RPGs such as Pillars and Divinity are making comebacks.

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    acidblood said:

Kootur said:

acidblood said:

Kootur said:

I think the nobody part was tongue in cheek.  But I agree with him that the big budget linear singleplayer games just don't seem worth the asking price anymore.

Mostly because singleplayer indie RPGs such as Pillars and Divinity are making comebacks.
    Its getting more and more expensive to make AA games so budget awareness will be important for mid-tier studios. Costs breached $10M for some of their games and its only a matter of time until they cost $20M to make. Article
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    There will always be a market for single player games. EA cannot escape that.

What they are really saying is that microtransactions make so much money that all their games will be built around them. But, you have to ask when/why microtransactions work?

They work when you are in competition with other players. Sometimes it's pay to win, but more often it is simply sharing a gamespace with other people and wanting to be better than them. That may mean wanting to look unique, so you spend money on cosmetics or mounts. It may mean wanting to progress faster, so you buy xp potions or other consumables to make life easier.

So for that reason, I can understand the shift of wanting to put multiplayer in all their games - that is what will boost microtransaction sales.

But why also mention open world? How does building an open world game drive microtransaction sales? I don't see any correlation there at all.

I also note that there is no mention anywhere about EA improving their games. This is a pure corporate money grab. They are boldly telling us that they want more money from us without them improving their offering. How is that a good thing? Why are you praising this move from EA? We should be disparaging EA for such actions, not congratulating them!
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Shaigh said:
    acidblood said:

Kootur said:

acidblood said:

Kootur said:

Its getting more and more expensive to make AA games so budget awareness will be important for mid-tier studios. Costs breached $10M for some of their games and its only a matter of time until they cost $20M to make. Article
    While true, revenue in the industry is also growing at a breakneck pace (something like 25% increase from 2015 to 2016).  

The market is becoming super saturated, though.  Like, super saturated, and by games whose quality is becoming spottier and spottier reference EA.  I don't think the current trend is sustainable long-term.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    Sad,truly sad this crap is popular.