Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Ship - Introductory Price of $850

Comments

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    I find it funny that the people backing the game are also going to allow CR to nickle and dime their play experience.
    If you take into account that a majority of backers only paid for a starter package (which you could get for as low as 20 bucks), having a monetization model based on voluntary payments does not sound like "nickle and dime"-ing to me.

Such monetization models work for other games and bring in up to 1.6 billion bucks

"....League makes all its money in-game, with champions, skins, and portraits available to purchase in the store with either Influence Points earned from playing games, or Riot Points purchased with real money. ...."

https://dotesports.com/league-of-legends/league-of-legends-2015-revenue-2839

Have fun

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Not sure why I even respond to Sean, he's the only troll on these boards that quite earnestly is so confused that he doesn't even have any idea he's actually trolling.
    rpmcmurphyZandogJamesGoblin

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited October 2017
    Not sure why I even respond to Sean, he's the only troll on these boards that quite earnestly is so confused that he doesn't even have any idea he's actually trolling.
    My original reply was only to the question of 'which is more innovative, AAAs or indies'

Quality of a game is not related to the question of innovation.
    Indies are by leaps and bound considerably more innovative then AAAs, they might not be as good and we can have that separate conversation but its not related to innovation
    MadFrenchie

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited October 2017
    Vrika said:
    EQ Next is an example of how big publishers are willing to take risks.

Failure is a common result of taking a risk.
    It is the opposite!

While in SOE (under Sony) the project was allowed to happen. It was killed by Daybreak, and I don't believe it was because of the game failing, they were starting having recently enough switched dev to EQ Next, they weren't even given a chance to undertake those risks.

From who I know who was QA at the company back then, leaving shortly after it was under the control of that investment company, the feeling was indeed Daybreak micromanaging for profit maximization; one ambitious risky game design early in dev clashed with that.

Man if some Indie projects around had the resources of those publishers we could have seen amazing MMO's happen, without small teams struggling to hire and maintain talent, unable to overcome the development challenges... it's a complex reality when the small ones go big and the big ones don't derivate much from the existing proven formulas.
    Post edited by MaxBacon on
  • ScotchUpScotchUp Member UncommonPosts: 228
    850 is a lot for an unfinished ship. Now if they showed it flying in the PU with no sign of a demo, then yeah help the developers. Personally I could care who spends what and how much. If you want the game and can afford it, then go for it. But at least buy a ship that actually is finished and can be played in games!
    “The reason I talk to myself is because I’m the only one whose answers I accept.”
    George Carlin
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Zandog said:
    Erillion said:
    Talonsin said:
      The business model for the game after launch is to sell ships and keep afloat on those sales?
    Only partially correct:

* Selling starter packages (including starter ships)
    * Story expansions for solo game (e.g. "Behind Enemy Lines" for Squadron 42)
    * non-military story expansions for solo game
    * real-world-cash to in -game-cash UEC conversion (but limited amount per day, not enough to buy ships) (in my opinion this becomes obsolete quickly as IMHO players will gain in game money quickly)
    * cosmetic upgrades  (ship skins etc.)
    * temporary booster packs (e.g. + 5 % speed/maneuverability)
    * reduce time to get a new (larger) ship from insurance company (larger ships are not instantly replaced)
    * cosmetic items (for hangar)
    * on-site delivered standard ship modules (no high grade modules)

Unconfirmed but possible:
    * continuation of voluntary subscriber model (for those that like the "Jump Point" magazine and like to get special cosmetic hangar items) - no in game performance bonus from voluntary subscription

Have fun 

I find it funny that the people backing the game are also going to allow CR to nickle and dime their play experience.
    I find it funny that the people not backing this game are wondering how Cloud Imperium Games is suppose to make money to keep the game operating and produce content when there is no subscription model.
    Through ship sales.

You honestly think if the game releases then CR is going to turn to his team and say "well we released and I'll keep my word and shut off the money faucet that is ship sales that brings us 30ish million dollars a year so we can switch to little piddley things in the cash shop." 

Now maybe he will say that but I can bet it will be followed up with a bunch of laughter and slapping CR on the back for making a good joke.

Bring up ship sales and you get shouted down that they are a business how do you expect them to make money. Bring up how they are going to make money after release and you get told selling little things in the cash shop. Well if they are a business then they are going to continue the ship sales and will probably have holiday streams to introduce new ships still.
    ZandogOctagon7711
    edited October 2017
    Kefo said:
    Zandog said:
    Erillion said:
    Talonsin said:
      The business model for the game after launch is to sell ships and keep afloat on those sales?
    Only partially correct:

* real-world-cash to in -game-cash UEC conversion (but limited amount per day, not enough to buy ships) (in my opinion this becomes obsolete quickly as IMHO players will gain in game money quickly)
    * reduce time to get a new (larger) ship from insurance company (larger ships are not instantly replaced)

* continuation of voluntary subscriber model (for those that like the "Jump Point" magazine and like to get special cosmetic hangar items) - no in game performance bonus from voluntary subscription

Have fun 

I find it funny that the people not backing this game are wondering how Cloud Imperium Games is suppose to make money to keep the game operating and produce content when there is no subscription model.
    Through ship sales.

You honestly think if the game releases then CR is going to turn to his team and say "well we released and I'll keep my word and shut off the money faucet that is ship sales that brings us 30ish million dollars a year so we can switch to little piddley things in the cash shop." 

yes..of course that is the plan

that might not happen but why would your default assumption be different then what everyone else basically is expecting?

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    MaxBacon said:
    Completely disagree with @Erillion there, there's no confirmation at all of anything side of starter packs (expansion of the current Mustang/Aurora ones), currency microtransaction and the SQ42 eps.

Also, it's illogical, a good implementation of the currency microtransaction is capable of immense profitability and I'm sure they will greatly bet on that (including changing limits) once such starts being implemented.

I don't find the model unfair given the option to earn or buy, under a reality of no game sub or an ideology of paid expansions.
    As someone who backed early and mostly interested in SQ42... I thought the SQ42 eps were included in the purchase.   Has that changed?

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

edited October 2017
    Kefo said:
    Ship sales are going to die down before that.

There are far more ships than there are players, there's a huge devaluation factor that is going to play out, just you wait and see.

As someone who backed early and mostly interested in SQ42... I thought the SQ42 eps were included in the purchase.   Has that changed?
    EP 1 is the announced SQ42 that you pledged for, if you did purchase on the early days you stand the ownership of SQ42's EP 2 per stretch goal.

The change was mostly the scope of it as SQ42 became its own game, so what was the EP 2 "mission disks" over SQ42 seems to now be a sequel game instead.
    MaxBacon said:
    Kefo said:
    Ship sales are going to die down before that.

There are far more ships than there are players, there's a huge devaluation factor that is going to play out, just you wait and see.

EP 1 is the announced SQ42 that you pledged for, if you did purchase on the early days you stand the ownership of SQ42's EP 2 per stretch goal.

The change was mostly the scope of it as SQ42 became its own game, so what was the EP 2 "mission disks" over SQ42 seems to now be a sequel game instead.
    So as an early backer I will get EP1 & EP2 correct?

Also.. are the episodes being produced concurrently or will EP2 take another few years once SQ42 releases?

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    edited October 2017
    SQ 42 EP 1 is the solo game you pledged for. 

early backers get Episode 2 "Behind Enemy Lines" too - with approx. the same amount of missions as SQ42 Episode 1 (think: Wing Commander 1 and 2). E2 happens shortly after E1.

Episode 3 is planned, but unnamed. As large as the first two episodes. 

After Episode 1 you have earned your UEE citizenship through your tour of duty.

Episode 2 story is about rogue elements of the navy. 

Episode 3 story - unknown so far. 

There are hints/rumours that the trilogy follows a pattern similar to fictional  historical novels about a roman legion deep in barbarian territory. 

Have fun
  • ZandogZandog Member UncommonPosts: 97
    Kefo said:
    Zandog said:
    Erillion said:
    Talonsin said:
    Only partially correct:

Have fun 

Through ship sales.

Now maybe he will say that but I can bet it will be followed up with a bunch of laughter and slapping CR on the back for making a good joke.

Bring up ship sales and you get shouted down that they are a business how do you expect them to make money. Bring up how they are going to make money after release and you get told selling little things in the cash shop. Well if they are a business then they are going to continue the ship sales and will probably have holiday streams to introduce new ships still.

- Starter packages (i.e. the core game/a small multi-role ship and some in-game credits), which means smaller, less specialized ships with limited abilities. No concept or individual ship sales after launch.
    - Limited daily UEC (real cash for in game credits) sales. Not enough for P2W to affect the economy/game. I will backtrack a little and say I wouldn't be surprised if a sub is optional, giving a few minor convenience perks.
    - Continued single player and multiplayer 'chapters' and 'expansions'. Note: They said the game would launch with 10 systems with another 90 systems post launch. Many of those new areas will be monetized in expansions.
    - THE BIG ONE: Cosmetic items. With avatar, ship, weapons, armor, clothing, homestead (and more) appearance options we've already seen, I would not be surprised to see a mega shop with hundreds of cosmetic options for sale in their cash shop.

I could come up with a few more that didn't involve selling in-game profitable items (P2W). 
    Every time Goonsquad/SA/DS post salt on Star Citizen, I spend more money on it. Every time a mentally disturbed former backer or Elite CMDR toxic emo comments, I spend more money on it. Every time they refuse to answer why they spend so much time arguing about a game they don't even like, I spend more money on it. Want to watch the world burn because you can't have your way? You got whats coming to you.
    edited October 2017
    Actually I forgotten a relevant monetization point of SC post-launch:
    - Character slots

Mind when you buy SC, you buy one character in the game, if you want multiple you will need multiple game packages, and it seems they would be individual with their own ships, currency balance, etc...

Also.. are the episodes being produced concurrently or will EP2 take another few years once SQ42 releases?
    Only if you backed before the 6million mark, if so yes. Only the EP 1 is being produced yes as that was the pitched SP campaign.
    MaxBacon said:

Only if you backed before the 6million mark, if so yes. Only the EP 1 is being produced yes as that was the pitched SP campaign.
    Dude... I got my golden ticket

edited October 2017
    Dude... I got my golden ticket
    Then obviously so.  You're an ancient space elder!

I forgot the first backers that was the original before-announcement sign up oups xD
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Zandog said:
    Kefo said:
    Zandog said:
    Erillion said:
    Talonsin said:
    Only partially correct:

Have fun 

Through ship sales.

- Starter packages (i.e. the core game/a small multi-role ship and some in-game credits), which means smaller, less specialized ships with limited abilities. No concept or individual ship sales after launch.
    - Limited daily UEC (real cash for in game credits) sales. Not enough for P2W to affect the economy/game. I will backtrack a little and say I wouldn't be surprised if a sub is optional, giving a few minor convenience perks.
    - Continued single player and multiplayer 'chapters' and 'expansions'. Note: They said the game would launch with 10 systems with another 90 systems post launch. Many of those new areas will be monetized in expansions.
    - THE BIG ONE: Cosmetic items. With avatar, ship, weapons, armor, clothing, homestead (and more) appearance options we've already seen, I would not be surprised to see a mega shop with hundreds of cosmetic options for sale in their cash shop.

I could come up with a few more that didn't involve selling in-game profitable items (P2W). 
    Right. Well I hope you're right and I'm wrong but given this company's history and the guy in charge I tend to be a little more pessimistic 
    Zandog
  • PigozzPigozz Member UncommonPosts: 886
    Erillion said:
    If you take into account that a majority of backers only paid for a starter package (which you could get for as low as 20 bucks), having a monetization model based on voluntary payments does not sound like "nickle and dime"-ing to me.

Such monetization models work for other games and bring in up to 1.6 billion bucks

"....League makes all its money in-game, with champions, skins, and portraits available to purchase in the store with either Influence Points earned from playing games, or Riot Points purchased with real money. ...."

Have fun

Lol, comparing a capital ship which cost nearly 1000$, has huge gameplay impact and will probably take months to assemble/buy without the money to a balanced champion like 100s others, where even the newest one takes cca 2-3 gamedays to farm, is available for free the next week and costs cca 10 dollars with free skin...

You're hitting an all-time low with fanboy excuses erillion

have fun...for 850$
    JamesGoblin

I think I actually spent way more time reading and theorycrafting about MMOs than playing them

edited October 2017
    Pigozz said:
    Erillion said:

Have fun

Lol, comparing a capital ship which cost nearly 1000$, has huge gameplay impact and will probably take months to assemble/buy without the money to a balanced champion like 100s others, where even the newest one takes cca 2-3 gamedays to farm, is available for free the next week and costs cca 10 dollars with free skin...

have fun...for 850$
    Here are the facts:

1. The company has stated multiple times that there will not be advantages from buying these ships
    2. We do not have any information on how they will make that possible.
    3. we do not have any information that what they are saying is untrue.

so instead of theorcrafting as if its fact that there will be advantages, just wait and find out. but as it stands now, they are saying no advantage so unless you already know the game mechanics personally and havent told any reporters then you also have no idea.

make sense?

SEANMCAD said:
    Pigozz said:
    Erillion said:

Have fun

have fun...for 850$
    Here are the facts:

1. The company has stated multiple times that there will not be advantages from buying these ships

so instead of theorcrafting as if its fact that there will be advantages, just wait and find out. but as it stands now, they are saying no advantage so unless you already know the game mechanics personally and havent told any reporters then you also have no idea.

make sense?

You have an ignore list posted in your signature? o.0

To add to what you were saying, an example Ben Lesnick gave long ago. You may own a Starfarer but you won't be flying it day, week or possibly even month one. You will be to earn money to buy component systems, fuel, power cells and possibly AI or player crew contracts to be anywhere near in effective operating condition. You will need to complete certain missions to earn money and trust of some sellers to gain access to some of those components. You may need certain certificates to be able to be allowed to pilot or even command your own large ship. Subsumption and your actions will dictate how quickly you move forward in your career progress. 

I fully expect to be stuck in my Freelancer a full month before I can even think about taking my next multi-crew ship out for a spin.
    Every time Goonsquad/SA/DS post salt on Star Citizen, I spend more money on it. Every time a mentally disturbed former backer or Elite CMDR toxic emo comments, I spend more money on it. Every time they refuse to answer why they spend so much time arguing about a game they don't even like, I spend more money on it. Want to watch the world burn because you can't have your way? You got whats coming to you.
    edited October 2017
    @Zandog

In SC it's becoming very clear the late game is not going to be about own and buy the ships, yet about upgrading them, from the components, weapons, highly skilled crew, to the insurances that are obviously far more expensive to protect more than the Hull itself.

There's likely also going to be a vanity tier of customization in terms of late game for them, people have this weird perception that the point of the game is own the biggest and best ships, what is so wrong on something so categorized as they are on SC.

Even this 850$ one, a civilian capital ship from the ground up not meant for solo-play, this perception people have here that it's a big ship that is "better than the other ships" falls to dust on civilian profession-focused ships that are not created for combat.
  • blorpykinsblorpykins Member RarePosts: 466
    MaxBacon said:
    @Zandog

In SC it's becoming very clear the late game is not going to be about own and buy the ships, yet about upgrading them, from the components, weapons, highly skilled crew, to the insurances that are obviously far more expensive to protect more than the Hull itself.

There's likely also going to be a vanity tier of customization in terms of late game for them, people have this weird perception that the point of the game is own the biggest and best ships, what is so wrong on something so categorized as they are on SC.

Even this 850$ one, a civilian capital ship from the ground up not meant for solo-play, this perception people have here that it's a big ship that is "better than the other ships" falls to dust on civilian profession-focused ships that are not created for combat.

Remember this?

“The MISC Hull E is an unparalleled bulk freighter. The E doesn’t just dwarf the rest of the series, it knocks out the competition. Simply put, there is NO human-designed bulk hauler on the same scale on the market today. With extensive after-market options, the Hull E have been adopted as everything from colonial supply trains to survey equipment platforms to orbital defensive platforms. With space for the largest possible set of container types, the properly equipped Hull E can carry everything from iron ore to passengers to fully functional spacecraft! Co-leasing opportunities are available; in some cases, it may be beneficial for smaller corporations to share a single Hull E rather than purchasing separate smaller designs outright. Talk to your ship dealer today!”

I've always been in love with what this game will look like a year after launch - hopefully it happens in our lifetime.

edited October 2017
    Remember this?

“The MISC Hull E is an unparalleled bulk freighter. The E doesn’t just dwarf the rest of the series, it knocks out the competition. Simply put, there is NO human-designed bulk hauler on the same scale on the market today. With extensive after-market options, the Hull E have been adopted as everything from colonial supply trains to survey equipment platforms to orbital defensive platforms. With space for the largest possible set of container types, the properly equipped Hull E can carry everything from iron ore to passengers to fully functional spacecraft! Co-leasing opportunities are available; in some cases, it may be beneficial for smaller corporations to share a single Hull E rather than purchasing separate smaller designs outright. Talk to your ship dealer today!”

I've always been in love with what this game will look like a year after launch - hopefully it happens in our lifetime.

They do have defenses but in the context of PvP you wouldn't play and risk solo with civilian ships, I see this more like EvE in one aspect, you play with one organization of players or friends on this stuff, otherwise, you are simply a moving target. I wouldn't risk going cargo hauling with one Hull E ship in solo play.

I think it's this co-op PvP MP gameworld that stands the true potential of the game, and the ships follow such ideology where the true real advantage is people playing together.
    blorpykins
    Zandog said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Pigozz said:
    Erillion said:

Have fun

have fun...for 850$
    Here are the facts:

make sense?

To add to what you were saying, an example Ben Lesnick gave long ago. You may own a Starfarer but you won't be flying it day, week or possibly even month one. You will be to earn money to buy component systems, fuel, power cells and possibly AI or player crew contracts to be anywhere near in effective operating condition. You will need to complete certain missions to earn money and trust of some sellers to gain access to some of those components. You may need certain certificates to be able to be allowed to pilot or even command your own large ship. Subsumption and your actions will dictate how quickly you move forward in your career progress. 

I fully expect to be stuck in my Freelancer a full month before I can even think about taking my next multi-crew ship out for a spin.
    but we have no idea of anything. what fuel, price, 'power cells?' maybe fuel is free? maybe its not? maybe 'effective operating condition' is hitting one button for everyone. That is the point, you are applying a lot of unknowns and seem to suggest they are factual.

I suggest you guys not speculate on what you do not know and maybe instead say 'they claim its going to be fair but I dont see how that is possible'
    that statement sounds  a lot more reasonable
    ZandogOctagon7711

SEANMCAD said:
    Zandog said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Pigozz said:
    Erillion said:

Have fun

have fun...for 850$
    Here are the facts:

make sense?

but we have no idea of anything. what fuel, price, 'power cells?' maybe fuel is free? maybe its not? maybe 'effective operating condition' is hitting one button for everyone. That is the point, you are applying a lot of unknowns and seem to suggest they are factual.

I suggest you guys not speculate on what you do not know and maybe instead say 'they claim its going to be fair but I dont see how that is possible'

But as an unfinished game where everything is in such flux and nothing is set in stone, including the comments officially made like the one I off the cuff referenced by CIG Community Engagement Ben Liznick , isn't everything discussed speculative? You can suggest anyone not speculate when the entire content frame in which we can speak is all speculation. The only thing we know is that the game is currently in development.
    Zandog said:

But as an unfinished game where everything is in such flux and nothing is set in stone, including the comments officially made like the one I off the cuff referenced by CIG Community Engagement Ben Liznick , isn't everything discussed speculative? You can suggest anyone not speculate when the entire content frame in which we can speak is all speculation. The only thing we know is that the game is currently in development.
    no.

here is what is not speculation

FACT: They have stated that the game will not provide advantages to people who buy early
    FACT: we have no idea how they will do that

CONCLUSION: its best to say 'they claim they will not provide advantages but I do not see how that is possible we will have to wait and see

INSTEAD OF: making up random things and acting like they are fact.

that goes for both sides of this debate.

So again I ask for people to understand that:
    'Although they have stated that it will not be an advantage we do not know as of yet how they will do that but until then lets not assume its a fact that they will go against their public statements although it is possible'

is that an unreasonable stance to you?
    Herase