Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

'AAA Games at EA Are Dead for the Time-Being' & Microtransactions Are Why

Comments

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    SEANMCAD said:
    Mikeha said:
    I called it. ;)

One thing for sure is that console gamers are not complaining about AAA.

those that are excited about playing indies typically dont have a console...and for a reason.:)

All the good indies come to console. 

Console has the best of everything. :D
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited October 2017
    Actually, I remember a time AAA box prices were 50USD.  The box price has increased, if only 10 bucks, within the last few decades.

Additionally, game developer salaries have been largely stagnant.  I linked two articles supporting this in another thread.  What has increased substantially is number of "gamers" here in the U.S..  What has also increased is the amount of digital distribution that's skipping the payment to the retailer and the manufacturing and shipping of discs.

So while the average playtime might be accurate, this idea that salaries in the industry have exploded or that a substantial increase in box price is something that's warranted is one part ignoring what seems to be the reality of the industry and one part a gross oversimplification of the cost of devliering games to gamers.

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    EA is just evil. All around.
    Nilden
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited October 2017
    azarhal said:
    Sovrath said:

Though come to think of it, isn't Witcher 3 an indy game?

CD Projekt RED is the studio that made the game, CD Projekt is the publisher. It's the same "development division/publisher" setup you see at EA, Ubisoft and Activision. Or Zenimax/Bethesda Softworks
    Regardless, they don't fall into the AAA category when compared to EA or Zenimax.

They have a small handful of released games, 700 or so employees, heck I think Roberts Industries is larger.

I also don't recall the Witcher 3 being heavily advertised either.

Perhaps more than the 3 indies mentioned but  by no means anything rivaling an Electronic Arts title.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Kyleran said:
    azarhal said:
    Sovrath said:

Though come to think of it, isn't Witcher 3 an indy game?

CD Projekt RED is the studio that made the game, CD Projekt is the publisher. It's the same "development division/publisher" setup you see at EA, Ubisoft and Activision. Or Zenimax/Bethesda Softworks
    Regardless, they don't fall into the AAA category when compared to EA or Zenimax.

They have a small handful of released games, 700 or so employees, heck I think Roberts Industries is larger.

I also don't recall the Witcher 3 being heavily advertised either.

Perhaps more than the 3 indies mentioned but  by no means anything rivaling an Electronic Arts title.
    so that just provides fodder to the arguement that indies are thriving and really good games..hell if Witcher 3 is an indie! that means indies are doing fantastic!

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited October 2017
    Talonsin said:
    When I read stuff like this it makes me wonder, am I poor by todays standards or are people selling kidneys to buy virtual items. I have a family with two kids and make a very low 6 figure income and to me $15,000 is a lot of money. That is like the choice between a built-in pool or some virtual crap in a game that you might play for a year at best. You could buy a boat, a really nice used car for that kind of money.

I guess if you live alone and have nothing but a computer for company it might make sense but I would think you would be better off finding a hobby and meeting some real people.
    Being much like you, my median family income puts me up at the top tiers in terms of US society.

Granted the truly wealthy outstrip me by orders of magnitude 100s of times,  but I can't believe many of them spend a lot of time or money on playing these games, much less dropping $15K to win them.

Heck,  for that money I could pay someone to win them for me while I was tooling around in my Ferrari looking for gold digging women.

I suspect some hyperbole with figures like this, would love to know how many of these mega purchases are made.

I think EAs real goal is to get people into a gaming world and entice them to spend more money than an occasional $60 game.

They are basically trying to establish the same steady income streams that the original sub model did,  only at a much higher level. 

Also people resent being forced to sub to something they might not use even if not expensive but apparently have no issue spending far more on something they really desire.
    Albatroes[Deleted User]laserit

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Dauzqul said:

CrazKanuk said:

Dauzqul said:

Where is the passion anymore? I understand that one of the biggest points in making a game is to make money, but this is just ridiculous.

Most games these days aren't even tangible. With the monumental savings of not having to produce a physical product (DVD, manual, box, shipping, store space / fee, etc), the cost of games have not dropped at all, but have increased.

Moreover, when you purchase a game these days (60 bucks), you don't have access to the full game. There is a built-in cash shop, future DLCs (total bs), cross-promotion items that rape "passionate collector players" etc etc etc etc etc.

I used to think that this was all from AAA companies like EA etc, but Indy developers are just as bad... if not worse. Take a look at all of the Kickstarter campaigns. What a joke.

Thankfully, game engines are becoming so advanced that some great games have been created without any programming knowledge, e.g., visual scripting with tips, etc. Eventually, we will all find that "candle in the dark" group of developers that will create a game that they are not only passionate about, but extremely fair without all the above sass.

Unfortunately, it's this type of thinking that has led to where we are. 

First of all, you completely disregard the fact that game prices hadn't actually increased for DECADES!!!! Have you had a raise in the past couple decades? My guess is yes. So we have salary increases, rental increases, software license increases, healthcare increases, etc. Also, with higher demands with regards to things like art, the cost to make a game is significant. 

Secondly, is this idea that you aren't getting the "full game" which is bullshit. In fact, would it surprise you to know that the time to beat a typical console game hasn't actually changed in the past 2 decades or more? I'll bet it would! Check it out below! The difference is that a decade ago, we called it an expansion, we had to wait a year or two for it, and paid $60 for it. These days, it's called DLC, we pay $15 per "piece" and we get something new every couple months. 

Console Total Games % 1-10hr % 11-29hr % 30-100hr % +
    PS4 984 62.20 22.97 9.55 0.51
    PS3 1555 63.34 23.09 8.17 0.58
    PS2 1013 59.72 22.80 9.48 0.10
    PS1 551 66.06 17.97 9.98 0.18

Third, I'm not sure what the joke is about Kickstarter companies. 

Unfortunately, this is the type of bullshit and misinformation that's led us to a place where companies are making more money selling microtransactions than they are selling content. I often hear the call for people to "vote with your wallet"..... Well..... they did!!! 

Also, don't confuse passion with business. This is a business decision, not one of passion. I actually spoke with someone from Bioware at a computer graphics conference this year and she had said that they definitely weren't happy with how ME:A went and that Anthem was supposed to be their apology for ME:A. She seemed quite passionate and excited about Anthem. That doesn't mean that there won't be schemes in place to monetize that game which will allow these passionate people to create more content (you know, since DLC gets shit on, so it doesn't sell like it used to).

Oh, stop...

They call them DLCs because they know what is being offered wouldn't be accepted as an "Expansion Pack".

EverQuest II / Star Wars Galaxies / World of Warcraft / Vanguard etc etc etc... I bought the games, paid the monthly fee, and enjoyed myself. An expansion pack back then was something of major note (a grand change / addition, e.g., Jump to Lightspeed). DLCs today are nothing more than an added 2-3 maps via Call of Duty / Battlefront etc; Thus, if I purchased a standard CoD, I would be paying $60. Shortly after that, I will pay another $15 just so I'm able to play with the rest of the community. That's $75 for the game. Shortly after that, another DLC... $90.

The content offered for every DLC I've seen is laughable.

So yes, if you want the full experience of a game, the cost has indeed gone up. This doesn't even include all the bs from the cash shops etc.

It's people like you that fuel this crap...

Stop what? The truth? You're talking about expansions to subscription games. Games where there is inherent VALUE in developing content that will keep you playing indefinitely. You act like Call of Duty circa 2004 never had an expansion (hint: it did). Games have had expansions since forever, and if you think that the content within those expansions is anything more significant that the collection of DLCs that you can buy today, then you obviously weren't there. 

Are we seeing more monetization these days since you don't need to deliver an expansion on a disc? Yup! Can it be more costly to play these days. Yeah, it can be, but you're just moving goalposts with your post above, and don't address any of the other valid arguments because you know you're full of shit. The reality is that if they delivered a collection of DLC as an "Expansion" people would bitch and whine just like they did a decade ago, just like you are now. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• XxxusernametakenxxxXxxusernametakenxxx Member UncommonPosts: 127
    edited October 2017
    Oh come on!  Isnt this the guy who got fired over his racist tweets?  Pretty sure he has zero credibility in, well anything.  
    KyleranKootur

SBFord said:

Aeander said:

He is probably correct in his assertion this time, but why are we giving Manveer Heir any credibility?

Because whether or not you like his politics, he is still an "insider" in both BioWare and at EA. His points with regard to microtransactions and EA's killing off of single player AAA games stand as valid.

No he isnt. He is a racist prick who is trying to get back at a company who FIRED him. There is no 'insider' information. No offense but sounds like an employee of MMORPG is in favor of his 'politics'. Sad this site or any site would give him the time of day.
    KyleranKootur

SBFord said:

Aeander said:

He is probably correct in his assertion this time, but why are we giving Manveer Heir any credibility?

Because whether or not you like his politics, he is still an "insider" in both BioWare and at EA. His points with regard to microtransactions and EA's killing off of single player AAA games stand as valid.

No he isnt. He is a racist prick who is trying to get back at a company who FIRED him. There is no 'insider' information. No offense but sounds like an employee of MMORPG is in favor of his 'politics'. Sad this site or any site would give him the time of day.
    here is the thing, when you say that, people like me who normally dont give a shit look up his name and do some research.

nicely done....read blowback

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

SBFord said:

Aeander said:

Get.....the LITERAL fuck out! It's that guy? Fuck me! And check out the last paragraph:

"Today, Manveer Heir is getting his own indie studio off the ground, making a game about the war on drugs and destruction of black and brown communities in cities by white supremacy, he said. He's currently trying to raise funds for the project."

Fucking hilarious! So we're going to get a story about African Americans and what they have to go through, as told by someone who is not of African American descent. Sweet. I can only imagine if a white person made this game. 
    Kootur

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

edited October 2017
    CrazKanuk said:

SBFord said:

Aeander said:

Get.....the LITERAL fuck out! It's that guy? Fuck me! And check out the last paragraph:

"Today, Manveer Heir is getting his own indie studio off the ground, making a game about the war on drugs and destruction of black and brown communities in cities by white supremacy, he said. He's currently trying to raise funds for the project."

Fucking hilarious! So we're going to get a story about African Americans and what they have to go through, as told by someone who is not of African American descent. Sweet. I can only imagine if a white person made this game. 
    yup..

looking forward to HBO Confederate as well?
    Sometimes blowback and be a pain in the ass.

I like learning strategy from you guys by the way

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited October 2017
    Kyleran said:
    Talonsin said:
    When I read stuff like this it makes me wonder, am I poor by todays standards or are people selling kidneys to buy virtual items. I have a family with two kids and make a very low 6 figure income and to me $15,000 is a lot of money. That is like the choice between a built-in pool or some virtual crap in a game that you might play for a year at best. You could buy a boat, a really nice used car for that kind of money.

I guess if you live alone and have nothing but a computer for company it might make sense but I would think you would be better off finding a hobby and meeting some real people.
    Being much like you, my median family income puts me up at the top tiers in terms of US society.

Granted the truly wealthy outstrip me by orders of magnitude 100s of times,  but I can't believe many of them spend a lot of time or money on playing these games, much less dropping $15K to win them.

Heck,  for that money I could pay someone to win them for me while I was tooling around in my Ferrari looking for gold digging women.

I suspect some hyperbole with figures like this, would love to know how many of these mega purchases are made.

I think EAs real goal is to get people into a gaming world and entice them to spend more money than an occasional $60 game.

They are basically trying to establish the same steady income streams that the original sub model did,  only at a much higher level. 

Also people resent being forced to sub to something they might not use even if not expensive but apparently have no issue spending far more on something they really desire.
    Sold point. Companies make more off of multiplayer titles with loot boxes and other micro-transactions as opposed to single player games with micro-transactions. I've said it many times in the past and I'm sure its naive but its just sad to so blatantly see companies go straight for your wallet with minimal effort as opposed to making something that players can genuinely care about and connect to.
    edited October 2017
    CrazKanuk said:

SBFord said:

Aeander said:

Yeah it sucks we have people like him who cant keep their ignorance out of video games.  They claim all "white men" are racist but they are given a free pass on their nonstop blatant racism.  Unfortunately sites like this and other publication are too scared to stand up to ignorance from people like Manveer.  

I mean it was hard to read that much hate, but before I posted I checked his twitter to make sure it was the guy I thought it was. He was babbling on about the 'white' people in charge of ME:A didnt have the guts to expand on the colonization in ME:A because it was a representation of the white man committing slavery.  Absolutely pathetic.  

Yeah it sucks we have people like him who cant keep their ignorance out of video games.  They claim all "white men" are racist but they are given a free pass on their nonstop blatant racism.  .. .
    and why is that a problem? I mean for starters why is racism considered a bad thing by default all the time?
    NildenGobstopper3DYashaXklash2def

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    The source is a confirmed douche who has an ax to grind because he was canned by the company. Not sure why he was even given a mention here.
    SEANMCAD said:

Yeah it sucks we have people like him who cant keep their ignorance out of video games.  They claim all "white men" are racist but they are given a free pass on their nonstop blatant racism.  .. .
    and why is that a problem? I mean for starters why is racism considered a bad thing by default all the time?
    Well according to the media, education system, lawmakers and some pretty ignorant people racism isnt a bad thing when its directed at white males like Maneer does.  
    Kootur
    SEANMCAD said:

Well according to the media, education system, lawmakers and some pretty ignorant people racism isnt a bad thing when its directed at white males like Maneer does.  
    why are you letting what the media says control what is or is not ethical? I think its sad that some people feel like they have to hide how they really feel and then pretend like the very thing they believe in is outrageous and wrong. You know? its like the gay man who pretends he is not and also bashes on other gays.

nothing wrong with being gay or a racist for that matter.

YashaX

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited October 2017
    Forgrimm said:
    The source is a confirmed douche who has an ax to grind because he was canned by the company. Not sure why he was even given a mention here.
    Horse manure. The guy is a jerk, no question, but that doesn't relegate his insights into EA's bottom line irrelevant. If you don't see the "handwriting on the wall" with regard to big house publishers and single-player RPGs, you're simply burying your head in the sand. 

SEANMCAD said:

Disregarding his thoughts on EA's motive for canning single player games in favor of microtransaction-laden "open world multiplayer experiences" (i.e. "games as a service") because he has controversial views on other subjects is short-sighted. THAT is the subject of the article, not his political stance.
    KyleranYashaXunfilteredJW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

edited October 2017
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

why are you letting what the media says control what is or is not ethical? I think its sad that some people feel like they have to hide how they really feel and then pretend like the very thing they believe in is outrageous and wrong. You know? its like the gay man who pretends he is not and also bashes on other gays.

I dont let the media control anything.  I am just telling you how the real world works.  You can't be racist in the real world (unless its against white males) or you will face major blowback.  Lose your job, be labeled a racist, hunted down, death threats you name it the SJW will find you and destroy your life.  
    Kootur
    SBFord said:
    Forgrimm said:
    Horse manure. The guy is a jerk, no question, but that doesn't relegate his insights into EA's bottom line irrelevant. If you don't see the "handwriting on the wall" with regard to big house publishers and single-player RPGs, you're simply burying your head in the sand. 
    That is your opinion, mine is you are promoting this racist jerk and giving him a platform to spread his hate.  I can guarantee if this was a white man who made the same claims about POC and came out with this revenge to get back at  company who fired you would not have posted it here.  
    Kootur
    SBFord said:
    Forgrimm said:
    That is your opinion, mine is you are promoting this racist jerk and giving him a platform to spread his hate.  I can guarantee if this was a white man who made the same claims about POC and came out with this revenge to get back at  company who fired you would not have posted it here.  
    I looked up some of the things he said and I have to admit some where pretty funny, no offense.

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    SBFord said:
    Forgrimm said:
    And you would be 100% wrong because I'm not focused on who he is, but what he's saying. You are only seeing what you want to see and trying very hard to be offended.
    IselinKyleran

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

I dont let the media control anything.  I am just telling you how the real world works.  You can't be racist in the real world (unless its against white males) or you will face major blowback.  Lose your job, be labeled a racist, hunted down, death threats you name it the SJW will find you and destroy your life.  
    Its a shame you cant express how you really believe, isnt?
    KyleranYashaX

edited October 2017
    SBFord said:
    SBFord said:
    Forgrimm said:
    And you would be 100% wrong because I'm not focused on who he is, but what he's saying. You are only seeing what you want to see and trying very hard to be offended.
    Nope I am just giving you the FACTS.  Only covering one topic of his hate-filed interview is on you not me.  I am not offended just pointing out you are providing a platform for his hate speech and how he cant be taken seriously.  He was fired by the company now he is trying to bash them and you take him serious?  He is clearly pissed he cant get a job except to start his own indie company to make racist video games.  But hey FACTS= offended here I guess.  

Here is a FACT...

He says he knows for a fact that some players spent over $15,000 on packs.  So how does he know this?  He was fired BEFORE ME:A launched?  I mean journalism is dead why would people need to verify such a claim from a bitter ex employee before they posted it on their website right?  
    Kootur