Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

'AAA Games at EA Are Dead for the Time-Being' & Microtransactions Are Why

Comments

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    SEANMCAD said:
    Phry said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Phry said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Derros said:
    SEANMCAD said:
     The Witcher 3 is a prime example. It sold EXTREMELY well, 
    As a side note did you know that sales of Ark + Rust + Space Engineers is more than Witcher 3 on all platforms
    Yea, but those arent linear single player games
    dont get lost in the trees, I am pointing out the forest.

One of the best selling, most prized, most used as an icon of what is good about AAA market got outsold by combination of 3 indie early access titles that barely advertised at all. its just a side note I wanted to share with you guys its not really on topic
    So 3 relatively cheap indie games sold more than one regularly priced AAA game, are you really sure you won that argument?
    first off its not an arguement 

second off 'it sold EXTREEMLY well' is not just any AAA title which was my point.

Witcher 3 is the icon of AAA, its like the Porche of consumer sport cars, its not just any old AAA random title and these three titles combined outsold that super car on all platforms without even advertising much
    Doesn't really mean much honestly, if the combined revenue generated from the sales of those 3 games was less than the revenue generated by that one game, its a false equivalence in any case.
    could not disagree more.

If three neighboorhood street basketball teams can have as more people watching then one of the best NBA teams of all times, its worth paying attention to and doesnt have to be a 1:1 realtionship.

but I understand you want to ignore it, that is fine, whatever.

Except when you look at the figures, its only really one of those games that has any kind of significant numbers, and that is Ark Survival Evolved, the other 2 have neglible numbers and you could pretty much picked out 2 other games at random, maybe you did i don't know, but in reality its just that one game, compared to Witcher 3, which was a full priced game that people had to pay considerably more for, also, Ark is multi platform the same as Witcher 3, as for there not being any marketing involved for Ark, i am not sure that is the case, as i am fairly sure that there was a fair amount of online advertising for the game. Ark apparently sold about 7 million copies, whereas Witcher 3 sold around 10 million, but they aren't remotely comparable, because one is a full priced AAA game and the other was an unfinished early access game, Space engineers apparently sold a million copies, which is respectable for what it is. Rust has sold 5 million or so copies apparently, which for a game that costs £15 is fairly respectable, but hardly unsurprising, actually forget space engineers, as the game sales for that title were negligible by comparison, Ark and Rust combined sold more copies than Witcher 3 did, in fact why even bother with Ark or Rust even, why not something more recent and in fact more popular, PUBG has sold over 10 million copies after all, one game that has sold more than Witcher 3 and is actually a popular game too, wouldn't that be a better argument than the 3 games you mentioned?
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    The guy who single handed killed one of the biggest franchises in gaming by given 5 years of free reign by EA, has the audacity to blame them. This is both sad and hilarious.

Maybe if he was more focused into hiring competent people and making good games (as opposed of hiring based on identity politics and promoting sjw propaganda), Mass Effect would be alive and thriving today.
    ShaighPhryAlomarGazimoffNodensAlpha
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Aeander said:
    He is probably correct in his assertion this time, but why are we giving Manveer Heir any credibility?
    Because whether or not you like his politics, he is still an "insider" in both BioWare and at EA. His points with regard to microtransactions and EA's killing off of single player AAA games stand as valid.
    Iselininfomatz

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited October 2017
    Phry said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Phry said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Phry said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Derros said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    As a side note did you know that sales of Ark + Rust + Space Engineers is more than Witcher 3 on all platforms

One of the best selling, most prized, most used as an icon of what is good about AAA market got outsold by combination of 3 indie early access titles that barely advertised at all. its just a side note I wanted to share with you guys its not really on topic
    So 3 relatively cheap indie games sold more than one regularly priced AAA game, are you really sure you won that argument?

second off 'it sold EXTREEMLY well' is not just any AAA title which was my point.

Witcher 3 is the icon of AAA, its like the Porche of consumer sport cars, its not just any old AAA random title and these three titles combined outsold that super car on all platforms without even advertising much
    Doesn't really mean much honestly, if the combined revenue generated from the sales of those 3 games was less than the revenue generated by that one game, its a false equivalence in any case.
    could not disagree more.

If three neighboorhood street basketball teams can have as more people watching then one of the best NBA teams of all times, its worth paying attention to and doesnt have to be a 1:1 realtionship.

Except when you look at the figures, its only really one of those games that has any kind of significant numbers, and that is Ark Survival Evolved,...
    ok...

so your saying the backyard basketball team called Ark almost outsold one of the best NBA basketball teams.

Look at this point I think your just arguing with yourself, trying to find a way to justify in your own mind how its not a point of interest and to be honest I am not interested in you doing that with me. 

So its not up for discussion with me, please move on.

(P.S. oh and I just checked, RUST sold more than ARK)
    so at this point depending on Witchers 3 new numbers its actually 1:2 games

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    edited October 2017

Bloodaxes said:

Your reasoning is terribly flawed tough.

3 different companies vs 1 company. They didn't share the profit, they aren't the same genre, and they aren't unpopular.

Obviously 3 games have a higher chance of selling more than 1 single game. You just keep jumping from thread to thread spouting praise for indie games left and right where none have been mentioned.

Stop going off topic all the time.

I don't think that's his point or what he is saying.

he is saying "there here are 3 examples of indy games that outsold a AAA game without a lot of advertising and one of note.

Though come to think of it, isn't Witcher 3 an indy game?

Speaking of microtransactions here's a new Jimquisition .... (obviously nsfw) https://youtube.com/watch?v=TQsc14gDPbk
    Kyleran
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    SEANMCAD said:
    Phry said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Phry said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Phry said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Derros said:
    SEANMCAD said:

could not disagree more.

Except when you look at the figures, its only really one of those games that has any kind of significant numbers, and that is Ark Survival Evolved,...
    ok...

so your saying the backyard basketball team called Ark almost outsold one of the best NBA basketball teams.

Look at this point I think your just arguing with yourself, trying to find a way to justify in your own mind how its not a point of interest and to be honest I am not interested in you doing that with me. 

Because if you want to go watch the NBA team play you have to buy a fairly expensive ticket. There are cheaper alternatives, but are they really comparable? i would suggest that they are not.
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    When I read stuff like this it makes me wonder, am I poor by todays standards or are people selling kidneys to buy virtual items. I have a family with two kids and make a very low 6 figure income and to me $15,000 is a lot of money. That is like the choice between a built-in pool or some virtual crap in a game that you might play for a year at best. You could buy a boat, a really nice used car for that kind of money.

I guess if you live alone and have nothing but a computer for company it might make sense but I would think you would be better off finding a hobby and meeting some real people.
    YashaXPhryKyleranAlomarSadfistGobstopper3Dinfomatz
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

edited October 2017
    Phry said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Phry said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Phry said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Phry said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Derros said:
    SEANMCAD said:

could not disagree more.

ok...

Because if you want to go watch the NBA team play you have to buy a fairly expensive ticket. There are cheaper alternatives, but are they really comparable? i would suggest that they are not.
    I am not saying that one is better than the other. I am just reflecting on the comment someone made about how 'EXTREEMLY' well Witcher 3 sold. I am just pointing out that 2 of the top neighboorhood street basketball teams in EARLY ACCESS together sell as many tickets as the best NBA team.

drop it. your not changing my reflection on this, the numbers are significant and people who are not paying attention are getting left behind but I am not the one to convince

• CoatedCoated Member UncommonPosts: 507
    This is surprising to people? They needed an industry "expert" to come in and explain this to them? Never mind that people on these forums have been saying this for years. Pointing out the negative repercussions of F2P and microtransactions and the impact they would have on the industry in years to come.

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that"

I think that quote was generous.
    NildenArskaaaAlomar
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    So the mmo goldmine was hidden in single player games all this time, nice.
    Alomar
  • AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320

Xasapis said:

The guy who single handed killed one of the biggest franchises in gaming by given 5 years of free reign by EA, has the audacity to blame them. This is both sad and hilarious.

Maybe if he was more focused into hiring competent people and making good games (as opposed of hiring based on identity politics and promoting sjw propaganda), Mass Effect would be alive and thriving today.

Again I see the boogie man of "SJW" while conveniently forgetting the outsourced programming and other glitches that has nothing to do with the dreaded "SJW" or whatever garbage excuse people give for denying the reality that gamers are more than white straight men.
    SBFordklash2defNodensAlpha
  • Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,335
    edited October 2017

Dauzqul said:

Thankfully, game engines are becoming so advanced that some great games have been created without any programming knowledge, e.g., visual scripting with tips, etc. Eventually, we will all find that "candle in the dark" group of developers that will create a game that they are not only passionate about, but extremely fair without all the above sass.

I give it another decade to 15 years before AI is advanced enough to generate what we currently consider a AAA game with input from only a handful of individuals providing creative direction.

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Dauzqul said:
    Where is the passion anymore? I understand that one of the biggest points in making a game is to make money, but this is just ridiculous.

Most games these days aren't even tangible. With the monumental savings of not having to produce a physical product (DVD, manual, box, shipping, store space / fee, etc), the cost of games have not dropped at all, but have increased.

Moreover, when you purchase a game these days (60 bucks), you don't have access to the full game. There is a built-in cash shop, future DLCs (total bs), cross-promotion items that rape "passionate collector players" etc etc etc etc etc.

I used to think that this was all from AAA companies like EA etc, but Indy developers are just as bad... if not worse. Take a look at all of the Kickstarter campaigns. What a joke.

Thankfully, game engines are becoming so advanced that some great games have been created without any programming knowledge, e.g., visual scripting with tips, etc. Eventually, we will all find that "candle in the dark" group of developers that will create a game that they are not only passionate about, but extremely fair without all the above sass.

Unfortunately, it's this type of thinking that has led to where we are. 

First of all, you completely disregard the fact that game prices hadn't actually increased for DECADES!!!! Have you had a raise in the past couple decades? My guess is yes. So we have salary increases, rental increases, software license increases, healthcare increases, etc. Also, with higher demands with regards to things like art, the cost to make a game is significant. 

Secondly, is this idea that you aren't getting the "full game" which is bullshit. In fact, would it surprise you to know that the time to beat a typical console game hasn't actually changed in the past 2 decades or more? I'll bet it would! Check it out below! The difference is that a decade ago, we called it an expansion, we had to wait a year or two for it, and paid $60 for it. These days, it's called DLC, we pay $15 per "piece" and we get something new every couple months. 

Console Total Games % 1-10hr % 11-29hr % 30-100hr % +
    PS4 984 62.20 22.97 9.55 0.51
    PS3 1555 63.34 23.09 8.17 0.58
    PS2 1013 59.72 22.80 9.48 0.10
    PS1 551 66.06 17.97 9.98 0.18

Third, I'm not sure what the joke is about Kickstarter companies. 

Unfortunately, this is the type of bullshit and misinformation that's led us to a place where companies are making more money selling microtransactions than they are selling content. I often hear the call for people to "vote with your wallet"..... Well..... they did!!! 

Also, don't confuse passion with business. This is a business decision, not one of passion. I actually spoke with someone from Bioware at a computer graphics conference this year and she had said that they definitely weren't happy with how ME:A went and that Anthem was supposed to be their apology for ME:A. She seemed quite passionate and excited about Anthem. That doesn't mean that there won't be schemes in place to monetize that game which will allow these passionate people to create more content (you know, since DLC gets shit on, so it doesn't sell like it used to).

LiljnaNodensAlpha

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    Sovrath said:

Bloodaxes said:

Your reasoning is terribly flawed tough.

3 different companies vs 1 company. They didn't share the profit, they aren't the same genre, and they aren't unpopular.

Obviously 3 games have a higher chance of selling more than 1 single game. You just keep jumping from thread to thread spouting praise for indie games left and right where none have been mentioned.

Stop going off topic all the time.

I don't think that's his point or what he is saying.

he is saying "there here are 3 examples of indy games that outsold a AAA game without a lot of advertising and one of note.

Speaking of microtransactions here's a new Jimquisition .... (obviously nsfw) https://youtube.com/watch?v=TQsc14gDPbk
    Which is still flawed because witcher 3 has it's followers (I'm not one of them as I hate their combat style), while those survival games aimed at the current popular trend. If you didn't enjoy the previous witcher, you knew you won't enjoy the newest version. Ark on the other hand, got a wild success because it was fairly well done for a survival game around other non successful ones. I also disagree about ark not having any advertising, as it's wildly known everywhere.

I own both rust and ark, they didn't cost me $60. Probably around 20 each. That means, every 3 copies bought is equal to 1 copy bought on witcher 3.  Numbers can't be the only factor when the other games costed 1/3 of the other.
    Phry

honestly guys if your unhappy with AAAs and I adore indies maybe an idea is to try out indies.

just a thought
    unfilteredJW

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    edited October 2017

Alverant said:

Xasapis said:

Again I see the boogie man of "SJW" while conveniently forgetting the outsourced programming and other glitches that has nothing to do with the dreaded "SJW" or whatever garbage excuse people give for denying the reality that gamers are more than white straight men.

What gamers have anything to do with how he managed his Montreal studio branch?

There was nothing in that studio to be salvaged (they were so incompetent that 18 months before product release they had people from Bioware main fly to teach them to do their job).

Blaming EA for being money grabbers is a convenient ploy that will be propagated by a portion of the "gaming journalists", simply because it fits a certain narrative. One thing is certain, you won't get the truth out of that guy's mouth.
    Kootur
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Torval said:
    It's sad the mainstream market has moved on. I guess it's more sad for the crowds that like big production games, but I'm not worried about an RPG drought. People who loved them before still do. Games will be made. RPG nerds were around before EA, we'll be around after.
    Divinity:OS2 is far superior than most AAA singleplayer RPGs anyhow, in my opinion.  

Less focus on marketing and flashy graphics, more on RPG and depth serves me just fine.   B)
    SBFordKyleran[Deleted User]SadfistNilden

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    edited October 2017
    Sovrath said:

CD Projekt RED is the studio that made the game, CD Projekt is the publisher. It's the same "development division/publisher" setup you see at EA, Ubisoft and Activision. Or Zenimax/Bethesda Softworks
    edited October 2017
    azarhal said:
    Sovrath said:

CD Projekt RED is the studio that made the game, CD Projekt is the publisher. It's the same "development division/publisher" setup you see at EA, Ubisoft and Activision. Or Zenimax/Bethesda Softworks
    then the person I replied to orginally is incorrect on different grounds if you want to go that direction. 

Here is what he closed with on what I replied to:
    'I hope this doesn't end up happening for all major AAA developers, but honestly who knows. I'm hoping games like The Witcher and Fallout continue to be made.
    Read more at http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/469050/aaa-games-at-ea-are-dead-for-the-time-being-microtransactions-are-why-mass-effect-andromeda#2KqkZtpZ45J4MedF.99'

AND taking it that way just emboldens my position that indies are doing extremely well and are good games
    unfilteredJW

• GrandpaDJGrandpaDJ Member UncommonPosts: 132
    One important point on comparing incomparable games: I personally bought ARK and Rust for less than $20 combined. Take what you want from that...
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

CrazKanuk said:

Dauzqul said:

Where is the passion anymore? I understand that one of the biggest points in making a game is to make money, but this is just ridiculous.

Most games these days aren't even tangible. With the monumental savings of not having to produce a physical product (DVD, manual, box, shipping, store space / fee, etc), the cost of games have not dropped at all, but have increased.

Moreover, when you purchase a game these days (60 bucks), you don't have access to the full game. There is a built-in cash shop, future DLCs (total bs), cross-promotion items that rape "passionate collector players" etc etc etc etc etc.

I used to think that this was all from AAA companies like EA etc, but Indy developers are just as bad... if not worse. Take a look at all of the Kickstarter campaigns. What a joke.

First of all, you completely disregard the fact that game prices hadn't actually increased for DECADES!!!! Have you had a raise in the past couple decades? My guess is yes. So we have salary increases, rental increases, software license increases, healthcare increases, etc. Also, with higher demands with regards to things like art, the cost to make a game is significant. 

Secondly, is this idea that you aren't getting the "full game" which is bullshit. In fact, would it surprise you to know that the time to beat a typical console game hasn't actually changed in the past 2 decades or more? I'll bet it would! Check it out below! The difference is that a decade ago, we called it an expansion, we had to wait a year or two for it, and paid $60 for it. These days, it's called DLC, we pay $15 per "piece" and we get something new every couple months. 

Console Total Games % 1-10hr % 11-29hr % 30-100hr % + PS4 984 62.20 22.97 9.55 0.51 PS3 1555 63.34 23.09 8.17 0.58 PS2 1013 59.72 22.80 9.48 0.10 PS1 551 66.06 17.97 9.98 0.18

Unfortunately, this is the type of bullshit and misinformation that's led us to a place where companies are making more money selling microtransactions than they are selling content. I often hear the call for people to "vote with your wallet"..... Well..... they did!!! 

Also, don't confuse passion with business. This is a business decision, not one of passion. I actually spoke with someone from Bioware at a computer graphics conference this year and she had said that they definitely weren't happy with how ME:A went and that Anthem was supposed to be their apology for ME:A. She seemed quite passionate and excited about Anthem. That doesn't mean that there won't be schemes in place to monetize that game which will allow these passionate people to create more content (you know, since DLC gets shit on, so it doesn't sell like it used to).

Oh, stop...

They call them DLCs because they know what is being offered wouldn't be accepted as an "Expansion Pack".

EverQuest II / Star Wars Galaxies / World of Warcraft / Vanguard etc etc etc... I bought the games, paid the monthly fee, and enjoyed myself. An expansion pack back then was something of major note (a grand change / addition, e.g., Jump to Lightspeed). DLCs today are nothing more than an added 2-3 maps via Call of Duty / Battlefront etc; Thus, if I purchased a standard CoD, I would be paying $60. Shortly after that, I will pay another $15 just so I'm able to play with the rest of the community. That's $75 for the game. Shortly after that, another DLC... $90.

The content offered for every DLC I've seen is laughable.

So yes, if you want the full experience of a game, the cost has indeed gone up. This doesn't even include all the bs from the cash shops etc.

It's people like you that fuel this crap...

NodensAlpha
    edited October 2017
    GrandpaDJ said:
    One important point on comparing incomparable games: I personally bought ARK and Rust for less than $20 combined. Take what you want from that...
    they can be compared on point that was being made. This common attempt to 'hide' if you will on comparisons only if the games are exactly the same really should go away forever. It depends on the context

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    edited October 2017
    CrazKanuk said:

Console Total Games % 1-10hr % 11-29hr % 30-100hr % +
    PS4 984 62.20 22.97 9.55 0.51
    PS3 1555 63.34 23.09 8.17 0.58
    PS2 1013 59.72 22.80 9.48 0.10
    PS1 551 66.06 17.97 9.98 0.18

This is the most logical and rational thing I have ever seen you post.  Is your wife using your account? 
    :)
    Kyleran
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    I called it. ;)

One thing for sure is that console gamers are not complaining about AAA.

Mikeha said:
    I called it. ;)

One thing for sure is that console gamers are not complaining about AAA.

those that are excited about playing indies typically dont have a console...and for a reason.:)