Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

'AAA Games at EA Are Dead for the Time-Being' & Microtransactions Are Why

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited October 2017 in News & Features Discussion

'AAA Games at EA Are Dead for the Time-Being' & Microtransactions Are Why - Mass Effect: Andromeda - MMORPG.com

Mass Effect: Andromeda News - In a new interview at Waypoint (via Eurogamer), former BioWare developer Manveer Heir spills the beans on EA's direction with regard to triple A single-player games. "[T]he linear single-player triple-A game at EA is dead for the time being" according to Heir and the main culprit for that is the microtransaction system. In fact, Heir said that it was not uncommon to see players spend $15,000 on Mass Effect multiplayer packs that could yield gear and other in-game items.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Post edited by SBFord on

Comments

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    edited October 2017
    Where is the passion anymore? I understand that one of the biggest points in making a game is to make money, but this is just ridiculous.

Most games these days aren't even tangible. With the monumental savings of not having to produce a physical product (DVD, manual, box, shipping, store space / fee, etc), the cost of games have not dropped at all, but have increased.

Moreover, when you purchase a game these days (60 bucks), you don't have access to the full game. There is a built-in cash shop, future DLCs (total bs), cross-promotion items that rape "passionate collector players" etc etc etc etc etc.

I used to think that this was all from AAA companies like EA etc, but Indy developers are just as bad... if not worse. Take a look at all of the Kickstarter campaigns. What a joke.

Thankfully, game engines are becoming so advanced that some great games have been created without any programming knowledge, e.g., visual scripting with tips, etc. Eventually, we will all find that "candle in the dark" group of developers that will create a game that they are not only passionate about, but extremely fair without all the above sass.
    ViterzgirGdemamiAlverantSadfistHrimnirinfomatzCelciusPeshyywgc01Gkarr
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Maybe for EA, but it seems like other companies are perfectly okay releasing open world single player games. The Witcher 3 is a prime example. It sold EXTREMELY well, so did it's expansion. Fallout 4 also sold really well, and they are monetizing through DLC and now the player created mod thing.

EA is going to do what EA wants to do, and that obviously is monetize all of their games. I mean if it's working for them why wouldn't they want to do it. Games do cost a lot more to make now a days, and the problem with Single Player games is the fact that they have to basically be done perfect or it gets a massive backlash. Look at what happens when animations are slightly off, Mass Effect had a giant problem with that. Same with ending the game how players don't want it to end, also Mass Effect.

We are in the age where people are extremely unforgiving with expectations. A while back you could get a giant game released with bugs and people would basically just deal with it because they wanted to play the game. Now there is 30000 other games someone can go play. I'm assuming it's extremely hard to invest 50 to 100 million and an entire development team in a hope that it will sell well and not cause some sort of backlash.

I hope this doesn't end up happening for all major AAA developers, but honestly who knows. I'm hoping games like The Witcher and Fallout continue to be made.
  • DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    edited October 2017
    Maybe for EA, but it seems like other companies are perfectly okay releasing open world single player games. The Witcher 3 is a prime example. It sold EXTREMELY well, so did it's expansion. Fallout 4 also sold really well, and they are monetizing through DLC and now the player created mod thing.

With the Witcher 3, at least, It was developed in Poland, I believe, which helped keep costs down because of the massive reduced cost of living vs the US.
  • ShinobeShinobe Member UncommonPosts: 91
    edited October 2017
    Just throwing in Divinity Sins 2, one of the best RPGs i have seen for years. As long as ppl buying the EA shit, they will milk the cow.
    Gkarr
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
     The Witcher 3 is a prime example. It sold EXTREMELY well, 
    As a side note did you know that sales of Ark + Rust + Space Engineers is more than Witcher 3 on all platforms
    MikehaPhryGdemamiesc-joconnor

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    SEANMCAD said:
    As a side note did you know that sales of Ark + Rust + Space Engineers is more than Witcher 3 on all platforms
    Yea, but those arent linear single player games
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited October 2017
    15,000$ on multiplayer packs that yield gear...? K...Man even if I had a "spare" 15k laying around, I wouldn't dump it on a game lol
    YashaXstarros[Deleted User]Golelorn
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Derros said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Those are all multiplayer only building and survival games. 
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Derros said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Kind of amusing to suggest that those games are even remotely as good as Witcher 3 too, there is a very clear difference between them, and not just the price, didn't Witcher 3 cost considerably more than those games did? Ark sold most copies of the game before it was 'released' where it suddenly doubled in price, wouldn't surprise me if the other 2 games were not the same. Somehow i think the revenue generated by Witcher 3 was likely significantly more than it was for those games combined, i have no idea without googling it who developed those other games, but i think everyone has heard of CD Project Red, even if i probably spelled that incorrectly :p
    YashaXToodles
    edited October 2017
    Derros said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    dont get lost in the trees, I am pointing out the forest.

One of the best selling, most prized, most used as an icon of what is good about AAA market got outsold by combination of 3 indie early access titles that barely advertised at all. its just a side note I wanted to share with you guys its not really on topic
    RobbgobbLackingMMO

SEANMCAD said:
    Derros said:
    SEANMCAD said:

One of the best selling, most prized, most used as an icon of what is good about AAA market got outsold by combination of 3 indie early access titles that barely advertised at all. its just a side note I wanted to share with you guys its not really on topic
    So 3 relatively cheap indie games sold more than one regularly priced AAA game, are you really sure you won that argument?
    Toodlescameltosis
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Derros said:
    With the Witcher 3, at least, It was developed in Poland, I believe, which helped keep costs down because of the massive reduced cost of living vs the US.
    Poland isn't really as poor as you think anymore though unless you compare the whole country to certain regions in the US like California. Yes, salaries is still generally a bit lower but it is no massive cost reductions and the difference is not really a good reason to explain people in US spending $15K in a cashshop or at lootboxes.

Minecraft was devoloped in Sweden and we got higher living cost then US. And Japan have the highest living cost of all and they still making games without this bull.
    ConstantineMerusSadfistGobstopper3D[Deleted User]infomatzatonicokjempffanemo
    edited October 2017
    Phry said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Derros said:
    SEANMCAD said:

So 3 relatively cheap indie games sold more than one regularly priced AAA game, are you really sure you won that argument?
    first off its not an arguement 

second off 'it sold EXTREEMLY well' is not just any AAA title which was my point.

Witcher 3 is the icon of AAA, its like the Porche of consumer sport cars, its not just any old AAA random title and these three titles combined outsold that super car on all platforms without even advertising much

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,820
    He is probably correct in his assertion this time, but why are we giving Manveer Heir any credibility?
    ForgrimmYashaXKootur[Deleted User]
    SEANMCAD said:
    Phry said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Derros said:
    SEANMCAD said:

second off 'it sold EXTREEMLY well' is not just any AAA title which was my point.

Witcher 3 is the icon of AAA, its like the Porche of consumer sport cars, its not just any old AAA random title and these three titles combined outsold that super car on all platforms without even advertising much
    Doesn't really mean much honestly, if the combined revenue generated from the sales of those 3 games was less than the revenue generated by that one game, its a false equivalence in any case.
    edited October 2017
    Phry said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Phry said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Derros said:
    SEANMCAD said:

Doesn't really mean much honestly, if the combined revenue generated from the sales of those 3 games was less than the revenue generated by that one game, its a false equivalence in any case.
    could not disagree more.

If three neighboorhood street basketball teams can have more people watching then one of the best NBA teams of all times, its worth paying attention to and doesnt have to be a 1:1 realtionship.

but I understand you want to ignore it, that is fine, whatever.

MikehaCecropiaToodles

• borghive49borghive49 Member RarePosts: 493
    Too bad a small portion of whales that buy micros kind of ruin it for everyone. The reality is that these systems wouldn't have to exist if gamer's would just pay more for the base game. Game prices have been stagnant for years, because gamer's refuse to pay more than 60 bucks for a game.
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    Your reasoning is terribly flawed tough.

3 different companies vs 1 company. They didn't share the profit, they aren't the same genre, and they aren't unpopular.

Obviously 3 games have a higher chance of selling more than 1 single game. You just keep jumping from thread to thread spouting praise for indie games left and right where none have been mentioned.

Stop going off topic all the time.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    $15,000 in cash shop sales for a single person is not uncommon?!?

I used to live paycheck to paycheck. However, due to extremely hard work and dedication, I now like Direct Deposit to Direct Deposit.
    Too bad a small portion of whales that buy micros kind of ruin it for everyone. The reality is that these systems wouldn't have to exist if gamer's would just pay more for the base game. Game prices have been stagnant for years, because gamer's refuse to pay more than 60 bucks for a game.
    thats not really accurate. 
    For us to know if that is accurate a company would have to test it out by charging more than $60 for a game but instead they are going a different direction. so its possible that maybe gamers would pay more, we just dont know really

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,319

Dauzqul said:

Where is the passion anymore?

I lost mine a long time ago when I got the news City of Heroes was being sundowned. Since then it's been hard for me to feel passion about a computer game. It just doesn't excite me like before. I think all the slimy practices going on in the game industry is a big part of why.
    NildenAlomar
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    SEANMCAD said:
    For us to know if that is accurate a company would have to test it out by charging more than $60 for a game but instead they are going a different direction. so its possible that maybe gamers would pay more, we just dont know really
    I would guess that large companies have done their market research and people have said that they wouldn't pay more than x dollars.

We don't know this to be fact but it is a guess.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Alverant said:

Dauzqul said:

Where is the passion anymore?

I lost mine a long time ago when I got the news City of Heroes was being sundowned. Since then it's been hard for me to feel passion about a computer game. It just doesn't excite me like before. I think all the slimy practices going on in the game industry is a big part of why.
    I suggest looking into Empyrion - Galactic Survival , Space Engineers, Kerbal Space Program, Sunautica, The Forest, Ark, Rust, 7 days to die for starters. 
    A lot of great games out these days but yes...MMO universe is not doing so great although Life is Feudal is good but grindy

unfilteredJW

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    Gotta love retar.. players that spend money to micros.
  • borghive49borghive49 Member RarePosts: 493
    SEANMCAD said:
    You are dead wrong, developers across the industry have been complaining for years about this issue. For some reason 60 dollars is about the max gamers will spend on for a new game, there has been countless market research done on this, ask google you will see.  That is why they are trying to monetize by other means, because game prices have not increased with inflation at all. 

It's okay though, they are plenty of suckers out there buying those loot boxes, the only thing I worry about is that games are being designed around this model, which is just disturbing.