Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is the best game to play long after it was released?

AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
What game do you suggest is best (or just very good) despite having been released years ago (or just not recently)? 

If you would be basically playing solo because there are no new players or very many alts at low levels, you can omit the name of that game please. :)

If you are going to be doomed to eternal noobdom and never be able to really join in on the latest reindeer games, skip that one too. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Well, I still play Morrowind and Skyrim.

Also Masters of Orion II and Andromeda

GameboyMarc
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Civ 4 . . . until I recently found that I had somehow bought Civ 5 at some point and never remembered. 

Cryomatrix
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Wurm Online

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• bwwianakievbwwianakiev Member UncommonPosts: 119
    Ultima Online
    GameboyMarc
  • Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859
    Eve Online, fact its passed 10 years, and still new players come, there are plenty of corps out there who welcome the new-bro and with CCP changing the f2p model in nov/dec it makes it handy to play as f2p as you can fly the ships that you will need in pvp / pve to get you buy to decide if you want to pay the subs
    KyleranConstantineMerus

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

• dougha1dougha1 Member UncommonPosts: 152
    Morrowind and Guild Wars. Also Carrier Command and Frontier Elite 2, though those two were on my Amiga which I don't have any more so I don't play them any more but I would if I could. :(
    This forum is broken. It is time to move to proboards, because they're broken.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I'd also say Guild Wars, had tons of fun with that game.  For an RPG I would say Heroes of Might and Magic.
    Loke666

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    I'd also say Guild Wars, had tons of fun with that game.  For an RPG I would say Heroes of Might and Magic.
    Agree about Guildwars but prefer Age of wonders to Heroes, way better combat there.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,825
    Lotro for a MMO, old Elite for the solo game. It all depends on how far back we have to go. :)
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Anything SSI really. Personal favourite being the Dark Sun games.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    The two games I always seem to replay are Deus Ex and Hitman: Blood Money.
    ConstantineMerus

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    @immodium love your avatar, I had so much fun with that game.  It's a shame what the studio did to the second one.  
    immodium

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,071
    Vendetta Online.  I still play avidly and it's coming up on 13 years since its retail release.  Lots of new players, too; I ran into someone last night who didn't comprehend the difference between regular Silksteel and Synthetic Silksteel (pshh  :) )

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Any of the Elder Scrolls or Fallout games.  Just fired Skyrim back up to play through it with a mod to enhance the already good graphics.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Talonsin said:
    Any of the Elder Scrolls or Fallout games.  Just fired Skyrim back up to play through it with a mod to enhance the already good graphics.

I bought and abandoned Skyrim back in 2011.

Saw it sitting in my Steam library and was considering firing it up for another run.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Kyleran said:
    Talonsin said:

I bought and abandoned Skyrim back in 2011.

Saw it sitting in my Steam library and was considering firing it up for another run.
    There are some really good mods for it.  The graphics mods are incredible.  If the controls or abilities were an issue, there are mods that will fix them. 
    Kyleran
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    I like old point and click adventure games. My favorite games to go back to tend to either be old RPG's or old point and click adventure games. I really like the Myst series, also I go back to The Neverhood every year or two. Also even though they really don't hold up, I really like old FMV adventure games like Noctropolis, Phantasmagoria, and Harvester just because of the weird / obscure feeling they give off. 
  • ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    edited October 2017
    Baldur's Gate 2 Shadows of Amn. The absolute best CRPG ever made. Nothing else afterwards came even close. GOG offers both vanilla and the enhanced / remastered edition.

If you want to go further back then Ultima 7 The Black Gate