Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Destiny 2 Playerbase Has Dropped By Over 2 Million Users Since Launch

Comments

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    Still gonna play it. Still gonna enjoy it. Not like I need loads of people around to enjoy a shooter. 
  • VexiusxVexiusx Member UncommonPosts: 212
    I know in my small circle of friends that do own d2 on console that they were only playing it or bought it to prepare for the PC version. I'm thinking PC version will hit a homerun don't forget all the WoW players that will be able to buy the game just with the gold they made in WoW.
  • VexiusxVexiusx Member UncommonPosts: 212
    PS: next content already revealed and coming out very soon.

simsalabim77JamesGoblin
  • acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878

Not surprised. From everything I've read post launch (i.e. post hype), Destiny 2 is even shallower than Destiny was; 'legendary' gear is given out like cheap candy, power level means next to nothing, and a lot of customisation (and randomness of bonuses on gear) is gone... which all adds up to there simply being nothing worth sticking around for.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Don't believe a word IGN says,they are a crooked operation.

I actually got bored within the very first day,haven't really felt like playing it again right now,way over rated.I find almost all of these games are big time over rated.
    Now i see some new games still coming out with the same pew pew rifles and machine guns,man gaming is getting mighty tiresome and boring with nobody showing any creativity.

"bought it to prepare for PC version?It'll be the exact same game lol,so they will buy it twice for no reason at all,no wonder these developers are making a killing.

To the person who thinks small details are not worth mentioning,well the developer thought they were important enough to pay employees to work on them.The music is sometimes awful,doesn't even match the scene while drowning out any sounds,so the entire scene is a badly designed mess.
    Sometimes the game feels as badly lame as walking around SWTOR,really not that good.

What bothers me the most,is the majority claim it is better than D1,how bad was D1 that it could easily surpass it and yet millions bought into D1...sigh.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,600
    You guys are crazy.  That is actually really good.  

Many people buy games to try.  Vast majority of people don't get past the first month.  I think you guys live in a delusional world that everyone would like and keep playing the same game.
    GdemamiKyleran
  • pantaropantaro Member RarePosts: 515
    DMKano said:
    This is normal for PvE games.

You do the content, and then move on - this is how the vast majority of playerbase plays games today.

This has been the trend for years, not sure why people find this surprising.

PvP games like MOBAs or Battle Royale match shooter games can sustain players for much longer.

But PvE games - nope

So to answer OP - whats wrong? Nothing.

im not surprised either. when the game is designed around the worst parts of what makes up modern themepark mmorpgs. By design there will never be enough content available that will ever keep up with how fast you can blow thru shallow content.
    Gdemami
  • cielyciely Member UncommonPosts: 124
    not surprised destiny 2 is overrated and im not going experience that destiny 1 dlc level up pack nonsense
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    edited October 2017
    Herase said:

To the overall topic I just came across something interesting.

So first about a week ago publishing site like IGN and Polygon said: Destiny 2 racks up 1.2 million players online, while eurogamer says box sales are down by half compared to D1.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/9/10/16283336/destiny-2-concurrent-players-million

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-09-11-destiny-2-is-biggest-launch-of-the-year-so-far

This week now we have a few publishers, not as big as the other 3 saying the playerbase dropped by over 2 million. 

So either the recent news is wrong or publishers like IGN and Polygon have made it seem like the number have climbed since launch, when they actually fell. 

Imho, I find it strange that a AAA title would only hit 1- 2 million now, worldwide after the marketing madness and crazy hype of the game. To me them losing around 2 million makes a lot more sense.
    Eurgamer was box sales only, and those are going down because people who play online-only games are also quickly switching to buying digital copies instead of physical boxes. Those numbers don't tell much about Destiny's total sales.

Polygon's report was 1.2 million players online simultaneously, whereas Gamewatcher thinks that concurrent players are people who log in during same day. That's why those numbers are different.

Also Destiny hasn't really lost 2 million players. Based on Destinytracker.com the real number is like 1.7 million. Gamewatcher inflated the number by additional 0.3 million by ending their comparison during patch day.
    JamesGoblinPhry

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    dcaldessa said:
    It is a shame how people have to base final decisions on reviews. I mean taking something at the word of someone else what kind of way is that to live.. If i told you to go buy this car after I drove it around the block .. would you go right out and buy it. I find Reviews of things bias and controlled. I rather have my own freedom of choice If I am going to drop cash on a game or anything else. 

As for Destiny 2, I was able to get a beta key and I played the PC beta and I enjoyed it so did my guild mates so I pre - orderd and am looking forward to launch day next week,  Regardless what some reviewer said on some site. Why because thats the kind of game I enjoy. 

I could go on but I've said my 2 cents ..

see ya on the flipside 
    dcaldessa 

Born to the PC master race.
    Er....this thread isn't about buying the game or not based on reviews.   Appears millions of people have bought and played DS 2 and are quickly setting it aside.

Also, folks, D1 and  D2 mean Diablo 1 and 2, time for another crusade. 

;)
    MadFrenchieJamesGoblinMrMelGibsonPhryConstantineMerusForgrimm

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• NitemareMMONitemareMMO Member UncommonPosts: 239
    I wonder how many of the disappointed people will still buy into D3 on day one beacause we know most people never learn.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    I wonder how many of the disappointed people will still buy into D3 on day one beacause we know most people never learn.
    What makes you think that people who play a game about a month and then stop are disappointed?

I think for most people if the game provides a month of fun it's been a good purchase and once it's over they leave with good memories.
    Gdemami

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Or maybe they'll consider that for $60 getting a month and a half of fun gaming was worth the purchase.  So why not enjoy another one that will most likely only improve on what I enjoyed from the previous one.  Not every game is meant to be played for years on end.  This isn't some huge open world mmorpg that people spend years in.  That's ok.  As long as you enjoyed the ride.
    Kyleran
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,122
    edited October 2017
    Nilden said:
    Scorchien said:
      Shocking ...    but it was going to revolutionize the MMORPG genre .... lmfao
    Hell anything that isn't a single player game will revolutionize the MMORPG genre at this point.
    Not really. Now that the option to play solo exists in MMORPGs a game that requires group play will be avoided by those that wish to keep that freedom of approach.

It would simply provide a new environment for people that prefer group dependence, which I suspect will be smaller than those that prefer choice or face time constraints such that they can't depend on group availability when they are able to play.
  • ZandogZandog Member UncommonPosts: 97
    edited October 2017
    Albatroes said:
    For people who dont like "auto-scaling" maybe this is why they left:

What's the point of grinding if there's never a power difference?

I just watched the entire video you posted, hoping to come away with a different opinion than the reviewer, but since he was able to explain in detail and show it in game why Destiny 2 is so poorly done, I not going to bother purschasing it. I was hoping I would give a better experience than Warframe but Warframe simply appears to be a better game.. and it's free..

Edit: spelling
    Every time Goonsquad/SA/DS post salt on Star Citizen, I spend more money on it. Every time a mentally disturbed former backer or Elite CMDR toxic emo comments, I spend more money on it. Every time they refuse to answer why they spend so much time arguing about a game they don't even like, I spend more money on it. Want to watch the world burn because you can't have your way? You got whats coming to you.
    Am I the only one that was shock destiny 2 is doing so well?

Base on my experience watching popular game trackers that is actually really good.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Vrika said:
    What makes you think that people who play a game about a month and then stop are disappointed?

I think for most people if the game provides a month of fun it's been a good purchase and once it's over they leave with good memories.
    While i agree with you here, that is assuming the 2 or 3 million people that left the game bought it on day 1. A number of people among those millions probably bought the game and left disappointed a few days later. We will never know.

So i think both of you have a valid point, depending on the actual situation.

Considering Diablo 3 has been out for quite some time now and sold millions we already know the answer.

The crusade is real

;)
    ConstantineMerusShaighMadFrenchie

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Vrika said:

I think you've nailed, evidence points to many people buying games but not necessarily finishing or even playing them

Note how many of us here have numerous unplayed or unfinished games in our Steam or GOG libraries. I personally have 2/4 in each respectively,  but some folks here have dozens or even hundreds.

Gogs achievement tracker is an interesting indicator.   For both Fallout New Vegas and now Pillars of Eternity,  when I get new achievements for fairly standard things not that many players have reached the same point.

In Pillars for example,  like 60% received the Complete Act 1 achievement, by Act 3 it was down to less than 20%.  

So while players seem to buy new games all the time, I'm not sure they play them all that long.

Also, many games don't need a long time to play.  I'm very slow, so it took me 2 months to finish FNV, but Pillars I'll wrap up in a month. 

Doesn't mean either game was bad because I'm done with them (for now, I may do a replay one day) so why would people leaving DS2 be considered a bad sign?

Oh, well if you are measuring playing time against MMORPGs perhaps so, but it is not one, so again, no surprise.

I suspect just like  MOBA people who enjoy the PVP side will keep coming back for occasional play sessions, but understandably they won't be logging in every day.

• EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    edited October 2017
    Kyleran said:
    dcaldessa said:
    It is a shame how people have to base final decisions on reviews. I mean taking something at the word of someone else what kind of way is that to live.. If i told you to go buy this car after I drove it around the block .. would you go right out and buy it. I find Reviews of things bias and controlled. I rather have my own freedom of choice If I am going to drop cash on a game or anything else. 

As for Destiny 2, I was able to get a beta key and I played the PC beta and I enjoyed it so did my guild mates so I pre - orderd and am looking forward to launch day next week,  Regardless what some reviewer said on some site. Why because thats the kind of game I enjoy. 

see ya on the flipside 
    dcaldessa 

Er....this thread isn't about buying the game or not based on reviews.   Appears millions of people have bought and played DS 2 and are quickly setting it aside.

;)
    I believe he was responding to a specific post:
    Bought it, read reviews, instant refund. :( wanted this to be good.....
    Based on the way this post was phrased, it appeares the author actually owned a copy of the game but refunded it without playing it based on reviews. Which is absolutely insane to me.

Nobody should let other people's opinions dictate their actions so strongly that they will not test something they own for themselves before determining it's quality. Not really defending Destiny 2 here. Just bashing the "I don't like it because a review told me not to" mentality.
    Kyleran
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Finished all Bioshocks in a week. Finished Bayonetta 1 and 2 in 2 days. Finished Street Fighter in 4 hours. A month for a game is pretty good actually. Or are we all of a sudden measuring Destiny game time to MMO lengths and time investments? Would be pretty hypocritical since most here can't kick Destiny out of the MMO space fast enough...

Also, time played does not equal quality or enjoyment. 

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    JamesGoblinMrMelGibsonVelifax
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

Kyleran said:

In Pillars for example,  like 60% received the Complete Act 1 achievement, by Act 3 it was down to less than 20%.  

That is how I felt when watching the achievement points in Guild Wars 2.  I don't think half the people bought the game even played 10 hours.

I think every AAA online game have huge nose deep in population after the first month.  
  • BlazeyerBlazeyer Member UncommonPosts: 562
    1 of 2 million checking in. I dropped it on PS4 about 2 weeks after launch just so I don't burn myself out before the PC release.
    MrMelGibson
    edited October 2017
    Eldurian said:
    Kyleran said:
    dcaldessa said:

see ya on the flipside 
    dcaldessa 

;)
    I believe he was responding to a specific post:
    Bought it, read reviews, instant refund. :( wanted this to be good.....
    Based on the way this post was phrased, it appeares the author actually owned a copy of the game but refunded it without playing it based on reviews. Which is absolutely insane to me.

Nobody should let other people's opinions dictate their actions so strongly that they will not test something they own for themselves before determining it's quality. Not really defending Destiny 2 here. Just bashing the "I don't like it because a review told me not to" mentality.
    While I understand your point, perhaps the other refunded before playing because sometimes once you "break the seal" you own it forever, no refunds.

I did it once, was walking thru EB looking at PC games (remember when stores used to sell them?) and picked up Horizons even though I had never heard of it.

Got home, (pre smart phone era) looked up some reviews and they were almost universally bad, so I took the game back for a refund.

Actually I rely on player reviews quite heavily,  and won't look at games that are considered mediocre or bad by a sizeable portion of those who have actually played it.

"Professional reviews" not so much, most of them come across far too favorable so aren't of much value.  

I pretty much ignore any review calling a game a 9 or 10, by my scale such a game has never really been made, and certainly weren't so at launch. (Stupidly low scores like 0-2 are also ignored, few games that actually run are that bad)

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Huge drop after 1 month ...... must be an mmo then!
    [Deleted User]JamesGoblinMrMelGibson