Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Behold! The rise of "Stream to win","View to win" or "Watch to Win" P2W was just the beggining.

2»

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    SBFord said:
    Streamers and before that fan sites getting advantages predates "F2P".
    And I'm not defending streamers, in my opinion most if not all of them on Twitch and Youtube are immature young adults with attention seeking problems and inflated egos who should find something better to do with their life.
    I can't, for the life of me, understand why folks would spend any significant amount of time watching streamers just play games.

Those streaming about alpha gameplay ala Pantheon streams are understandable, since the streamer has exclusive access to a game's development.  And I guess I could see briefly watching a stream to get a feel for gameplay prior to purchase (though YouTube videos seem much better suited to this).  But to spend significant amounts of time watching another player stream them playing the game I can boot up and experience myself?  What?
    Because you're not the target demographic. We're talking the pre-teen / teen crowd. The rest of us are geezers.

THAT'S IT! :D 

Awesome post <3

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    edited October 2017
    Sovrath said:
    Sovrath said:
    Sovrath said:
    Sovrath said:
    I don't actively antagonize folks who watch them.  Just don't understand the appeal.

Then again, aside from sports and watching things with the girlfriend, I don't watch TV in general, either.

I prefer actively participating in my entertainment.
    Maybe that's the thing, it can be "active". I was discussing this with a friend of mine as we've seen others say that "TV" or watching movies isn't active. For us it is. Not only active "internally" but very social as well.
    As Jean mentioned, it's a non-dynamic form of entertainment.  You can enjoy it and ponder the themes internally or with friends, but none of that is going to change the ending to American History X.  You won't change a single second of it, actually.  You have no input in the entertainment piece presented other than selecting which title you choose to watch.

That's what I mean by actively participating.

And Jean, I do enjoy the odd show here and there.  But, again, usually only when I'm enjoying it with the girlfriend.  Otherwise, I'd much rather make my own tale, which is also why I enjoy playing RPGs over any other genre.  Being able to provide my own input into conversations (even if among a few choices) and build my own character is much more enjoyable for me.
    Well, then there you have it. The people who watch these things don't require an entertainment where they themselves "actively influence the outcome" and do enjoy watching others actively determining the outcome.
    That's fine and dandy.  As I mentioned, I don't understand the appeal.  I never attempted to submit others were, in any way, inferior or should alter their tastes to suit my own.  If it was implied, it was accidental.
    I'm not saying you were. You said you didn't understand it.

I think what you really mean, if I'm catching your "drift", is that you don't appreciate or enjoy it on "their levels". Or in the "way" they appreciate it. You do understand it you just don't enjoy it as they do.

Just like I would never say "I don't understand people who follow sports and the stats and play fantasy "football". I understand why they do it but I don't really like/appreciate the past time on those levels.
    I really think this is an argument in semantics. 

I understand they find it enjoyable or relaxing.  I don't understand how they find it enjoyable or relaxing, because I don't get that same entertainment out of the activity.

Not sure this really needed a back and forth to hash out.
    Well, I would agree with you had I know you were just "saying things" to say them.

Usually when people say they don't understand something they "don't understand something".
    I said I don't understand why.  Not that I didn't understand that some do find it enjoyable.  Again, this seems real nitpicky on your part.

It's relaxing and stuff to them, cool.  I get they find it relaxing.  I'm not sure why they find it relaxing, because I don't personally see it that way.  Again, why does this need a back and forth?
    Because it's a discussion forum where we bandy about ideas thoughts and, erm more thoughts so that we can have a better understanding of gaming, related properties and um in the end ourselves? :'(

In the interest of really having a discussion, you say that you're not sure why they find it relaxing.

I'll be honest, it's because how we are all drawn. I think in the end it's about all the things that go into making "us". Whether that's nature or nurture or a combination.

Like I said above regarding my brother, it is what it is. But "it is what it is" because of the things we have grown to value.

Also, when some people (not saying you) say "I don't understand why" they sometimes follow with statements that devalue the thing that they don't understand.

And that's all we need is more devaluing of the various aspects of the gaming hobby. Anything that supports and promotes the hobby, and does so in a positive way to the participants is, to me, a good thing.
    MadFrenchie
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • DaranarDaranar Member UncommonPosts: 392
    edited October 2017
    SBFord said:
    And I'm not defending streamers, in my opinion most if not all of them on Twitch and Youtube are immature young adults with attention seeking problems and inflated egos who should find something better to do with their life.
    I can't, for the life of me, understand why folks would spend any significant amount of time watching streamers just play games.

Those streaming about alpha gameplay ala Pantheon streams are understandable, since the streamer has exclusive access to a game's development.  And I guess I could see briefly watching a stream to get a feel for gameplay prior to purchase (though YouTube videos seem much better suited to this).  But to spend significant amounts of time watching another player stream them playing the game I can boot up and experience myself?  What?
    Because you're not the target demographic. We're talking the pre-teen / teen crowd. The rest of us are geezers.
    Not even just that.  I never understood this until I saw a friend of mine (who I never knew was into gaming) watching a ton of streams at work one day.   (We have a high downtime job where YouTube is permitted.)  So i started talking to him about games and he was very knowledgeable.  Later i learned he never played any of these games.  He knew so much about these games by watching, so i asked why the hell do you just watch and not play them?

Two worlds collided. He simply cannot afford a machine to run many modern games, let alone to afford these games.   It was something that I never took into consideration in my small middle class world view.  

When you think about it, many games take a $500-$1000 machine to play even on low settings, plus the box price and micro-transactions you are suckered into for each game.   But a public library can stream YouTube Gaming videos for free.
    MadFrenchie

If I want a world in which people can purchase success and power with cash, I'll play Real Life. Keep Virtual Worlds Virtual!

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    It felt like you were attempting to prove I was unfairly judging them.  I do judge them, but recognize it's a judgement based on my personal perspective, and wasn't in a "look at these idiots" way by any means.  We all make judgements of others; it both precludes conscious thought and serves a useful evolutionary purpose.  And, as Suzie mentioned, I think a lot of it is the result of simply a generational difference in how we view the hobby.

I recognize, though, that my perspective is not authoritative.  I don't feel it necessary for me to understand everyone's perspective on everything.  I can still respect the idea of a differing perspective, even if I don't understand it.  

I've spent time reading up on how wildly different our individual brains are wired with regards to taking in and processing information, and I understand folks process differently and, as a result, enjoy different things than I do (I am stressed by crowds due to an overwhelming sensory input, for example, and require lots of "downtime" after I attend an event such as a concert to decompress).  So I never meant to be demeaning to those who enjoy it, just express that I have a hard time grasping the enjoyment from my perspective.

My mistake on the intent of your responses!
    Sovrath

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

My mistake on the intent of your responses!
    Oh no, not at all, it's oftentimes really difficult to have such conversations because we don't hear/see each other.

MadFrenchie
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    SBFord said:

Hey!   I represent that remark!!! :smiley:
    SBFord

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    For me I will watch videos to learn something. For instance I'll watch someone run through a dungeon I am having trouble with, or watch videos made by highly skilled PvPers who run a similar build to mine. Basically if I'm going to learn/become a better player by watching someone else I'll watch for a bit.

So I could see myself potentially watching a stream by someone who is really good, especially if it would allow me to ask questions and get answers and everything.

Overall watching other people play games is something I find entirely boring through. If they offer prizes to watch I'll put in on in the background and only respond when they are doing the giveaway.
  • pantaropantaro Member RarePosts: 515
    SBFord said:

Proud geezer here!