LOTRO - New race, updated character models and summer expansion Mordor

12346»

Comments

• gervaise1gervaise1 .Member EpicPosts: 4,428
    edited October 16
    As a thank you for players' patience people who log in - presumably this week - can claim 50 mithril via a code.
    Post edited by gervaise1 on
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member EpicPosts: 3,603
    edited October 21
    Well I was enjoying my entry time (I'd say around 15 ish) when I started to learn about more of the mechanics like bonus traits/virtues etc and noticed that to have access to everything in this game seems pretty steep unless I'm missing something, like 150$ ish? Or did I miss something? Dealing directly with them in regards to buying stuff seems like a headache at first glace since it feels like you can buy almost everything separately via the cash shop and you dont know if you're getting screwed over or not, like with amazon selling the quad pack and the starter pack yet dealing directly with them, they only sell everything separate.
    Post edited by Albatroes on
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 14,757
    Albatroes said:
    Well I was enjoying my entry time (I'd say around 15 ish) when I started to learn about more of the mechanics like bonus traits/virtues etc and noticed that to have access to everything in this game seems pretty steep unless I'm missing something, like 150$ ish? Or did I miss something? Dealing directly with them in regards to buying stuff seems like a headache at first glace since it feels like you can buy almost everything separately via the cash shop and you dont know if you're getting screwed over or not, like with amazon selling the quad pack and the starter pack yet dealing directly with them, they only sell everything separate.
    Subscribe for a month and all those trait perks are unlocked for any character you make and log into during that time.

My suggestion for best bang for the buck is level to around 15 or 20 and get to Lone Lands. Around that time sub for 3 months. It's $30 and will unlock all that, plus the sub perks like increased xp and gold drops, and provides 1500LP which is a little bit under $20 worth. So you get 15000LP and 3 months of sub perks for $30.

After that you can drop for a while or decide if it's worth keeping up, but the initial set of unlocks you get for even a single month makes it worth it. I suggest the 3 months because it's a much better deal than the $15 for one.
    The artist or album content may be offensive or controversial.
    Avatar Artist: The Plugz, The Burning Sensations
    Album: Repo Man Soundtrack
    Featured Tracks: Hombre Secreto [Plugz], Pablo Picasso [Burning Sensations]
    Note you don't get the traits themselves for subbing, but the slots you would need to unlock. As you adventure through the game different deeds and quests will increment those traits. By end game they're insignificant unless you're doing T2C and even then an argument could be made that it's semantics over pragmatics.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Twigwarren, WestfarthingMember RarePosts: 4,083
    Albatroes said:
    Or did I miss something?
    Torval was faster :wink: 
    For the question, yes and no. You are correct in that even after the simplification into trait trees the game has a few nice customization options. Also correct that the larger part of those deeds which give you virtues (just larger part, definitely not all) are tied to the areas. and you only can earn those if you own said areas.

Now to the not correct side:
    You don't really need those, unless you are towards the endgame, and wants to min-max yourself. The traits and virtues you can access for free are more than enough for all through the game - especially if you overlevel the content.

But of course that's not a good answer if you want to experiment the game as a whole... :wink:  Luckily LotRO's f2p model is pretty good and flexible. You can earn Points in the game, and buy the areas you want. There's no limit on it, so you can farm out enough to unlock everything they have in the Store IF you have the time.
    Or, as Toral said, you can simply subscribe for a while. Or purchase Points. Or mix and match those three any way you like.

Quad pack is a great way to get the expansions, sometimes it is on sale for pretty big discount. They sell it too, not only amazon.
    Torval
    Yep, to all those things Po_gg said. It depends on how much you like the game. If this is the game I'm playing then I'll sub, pay attention to weekly LP sales and unlock things like shared storage, extra LI slots, and other perks I like for how I play. While subbed all the content is unlocked except maybe some expac stuff. I own it all now so I'm unsure how it works currently.

I save all the LP from my sub, questing, and deeds, and only buy it when there are double bonus points sales and I have a reason.

You kind of have to figure out what works for you and if that is worth the price they're asking.