Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Destiny 2 Playerbase Has Dropped By Over 2 Million Users Since Launch

MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
edited October 2017 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM

When it launched last month on console, Destiny 2 quickly peaked with around 3.5 million concurrent players on September 17. Since then in just the last 30 days Destiny 2's player base has plummeted by over 2 million users, with over 400,000 lost in the last two days. With Destiny 2 ready to pre-load on PC as of now via Battle.net and the game due out October 24, it's disheartening to see such a popular game take a nose-dive.

https://www.gamewatcher.com/news/2017-19-10-destiny-2-playerbase-has-dropped-by-over-2-million-users-since-launch

I only played the demo so I cant say much about the game but for those who have it on console can you give any info on whats wrong?

Not good at all for Bungie.  :/
JamesGoblin[Deleted User]

Comments

• ChemicalBurnsChemicalBurns Member UncommonPosts: 16
    Bought it, read reviews, instant refund. :( wanted this to be good.....
    GdemamiRexKushman
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

I was going to get the PC version but now I am going to wait and see how this unfolds. I have a feeling its going to get worse.
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    I had feeling there is simply not lot of content for such type of game.
    This is now confirmed.

What do they spend all that development money ?
    Octagon7711Gdemami

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
      Shocking ...    but it was going to revolutionize the MMORPG genre .... lmfao
    pantaro
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited October 2017
    For people who dont like "auto-scaling" maybe this is why they left:

What's the point of grinding if there's never a power difference?

k61977Zandog
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    They probably just finished the game and moved on to something else, one of the problems of Destiny 2 does appear to be a lack of content.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    If no one ever quit games, then no one would have time to pick up new games and we'd complain about there being nothing new out because no one had time to play it.
    [Deleted User]GruntyMrMelGibsonGdemamiSpottyGekko[Deleted User]Velifax
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    I mentioned this in another topic awhile back. Games like Destiny are built on a model of "Hype! Hype! Hype!" cash in on box sales, and then milk the product left for whatever it's worth.

You see a huge influx of players surrounding the game release and expansions and massive outpourings once people get bored with it.

All games kind of follow this model to some degree. You definitely see populations spikes in any game around the time of a major expansion, but AAA games are the masters of it. They spend huge portions of their total budget on marketing. More serious titles put a lot more effort into quality than marketing meaning the spikes aren't as high but they also have a more committed player base.

So did Destiny 2 fail? No. It did exactly what they wanted it to do. Sold millions of box copies made back their development cost, made a tidy profit, and now they have continue to get some revenue for anyone who likes the game enough to stick around.

If you think that Destiny 2 failed, or that they really care all that much how long you stay subbed after the box sale... then you are the target market they are looking to con.
    [Deleted User]delete5230iixviiiixGdemamiValanarrVelifax
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    The correct method is: read reviews, went and read mroe on the game, played a free trial, then if its worthy you can pay......In the end, this saves you thousands of dollars as most aren't wroth your money.
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Scorchien said:
      Shocking ...    but it was going to revolutionize the MMORPG genre .... lmfao
    Hell anything that isn't a single player game will revolutionize the MMORPG genre at this point.
    SpottyGekkoVelifax

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    It is shocking due to the nature of MMO's, their persistent world and their essential need to maintain players attention for years. /s
    Gdemami
    The correct method is: read reviews, went and read mroe on the game, played a free trial, then if its worthy you can pay......In the end, this saves you thousands of dollars as most aren't wroth your money.
    The correct method is read about features, (if still interested) play free trial, make own judgement as to whether it is good or not.

Then again I know what I want from a game better than any reviewer does. It's kind of like finding the perfect girl. You have to know yourself and what you are looking for before you can find it.
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    DMKano said:
    This is normal for PvE games.

You do the content, and then move on - this is how the vast majority of playerbase plays games today.

This has been the trend for years, not sure why people find this surprising.

PvP games like MOBAs or Battle Royale match shooter games can sustain players for much longer.

But PvE games - nope

So to answer OP - whats wrong? Nothing.

Destiny is a PvE and PvP game.  Have you ever played it? (That's half rhetorical, because you seem to have, so obliviously, ignored this fact).

I'd argue the only reason to invest heavily (time, expansion money, buying Silver, etc.) into this game is for the PvP.  The PvE is repetitive and full of recycled content.  If you don't have a reliable group of players to play with, it will also waste hours of your time in Seeker Queues.

The game is fun, but I can see why a more casual player would see no point in continuing to play it after leveling one character up to 20 and doing a few strikes and maybe finally getting into a raid.

The World Content becomes incredibly stale because the Red War quests don't scale with your character level and your class Vanguard gives you missions (those are scaled up) which are re-runs of missions you've already done while leveling up.

The normal strikes get too easy once you've gotten to about 170 Light, and the Pugging/LFG system for Nightfall and Raids is super bad.

I still haven't done a raid, and I probably never will because I will not sit in front of my television for 45 minutes in a queue - not when the game doesn't allow me to do anything else (except inventory maintenance) while in most of those queues.

So yea, the story was much better than the first game.  The leveling experience was decent, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth - almost.

Will I buy an Expansion, any Silver... or really spend any more money on this game?

Absolutely not.  It was lazily put together, IMHO.
  • XatshXatsh Member RarePosts: 451
    Personally I enjoyed destiny but it got to the point of simply grinding and doing the little endgame content you have. Personally I have no real desire to play PvP, as it is not what I enjoy doing in games. Why I hate things like Overwatch and LoL as well despite their mass popularity.

If you are not into PvP well destiny does not have a ton of content endgame wise. A large amount of ppl who bought the game did so without the intent to do the PvP part of it. Thus they played the game and beat it, dabbled in a little endgame and left.

To keep the PvE crowd they need alot more endgame wise.
    Phry
  • HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    edited October 2017
    From what I understand they shunned the dedicated few by removing many features they add into the game with the DLC in D1 from D2, while watering down the game play, but it also seems they watered it down to a point there isn't any point logging in once you've done what you needed to do. So overall replay-ability for hardcore and casual is pretty much gone.

Here's a small list (from the forums) of changes they made that many felt was what made the game so replayable. 

"Why were daily bounties taken away, both strike bounties and world bounties, both gave playability.

Why was strike specific loot taken away, also gave strike re playability along with the bounties.

Strike selection and strike level, what happened to dropping down to lower level strikes and helping guardians through these also heroic with modifiers for more of a challenge.

Fixed rolls over rng = removed playability no reason to replay anything.

Crucible bounties gone removed playability.

A specific loot area on par with archons forge, also gone.

Poe or akin to that also gone, the reef is still there last time I checked, it could have been updated to encompass d2 removed playability along with Coe

Trials bounties also gone.

Subclass ability choices, now only two fixed choices also ability to play how you desire gone"

There's a much bigger list done by a player: https://www.bungie.net/en/Forums/Post/236030818?sort=0&page=0

Pretty much echos what I said, but should give you an idea of the amount they removed at the end of D1 going into D2.

I was genuinely looking forward to it on PC, but some how they've made the game go backwards than forwards.

Post edited by Herase on
    PhryDhamon99Gdemami
    DMKano said:
    It is shocking due to the nature of MMO's, their persistent world and their essential need to maintain players attention for years. /s

They do maintain players for years - but not all of them. Only a small % play for years, which is how it has been even back in 1998-2003 with gen1 mmorpgs.

Even gen1 MMORPGs had terrible player retention rates. This never changed, just F2P + cash shop model made player retention a lot less important because - the focus is not to make sure players dont leave (which in a pure sub model = revenue loss).

In f2p players come and go as they please - and there is no stress as long as enough use the cash shop to sustain the game.

*Hint it's a joke because it's not an mmo. It is a multi player pve cash grab. Nothing more.
    Gdemami
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Not surprising at all. Destiny 1 was a very shallow game that I thought was well polished garbage that I only played because it was something my brothers and I could do for fun. 

It was fun with them. But otherwise, it is lame. Destiny 2 is no different, I wouldn't even bother to play the game because I am sure it is similar to Destiny 1 and they are just looking to cash in. 

EIther way, the game will always be shallow. I do agree with Eldurian's PvE comment to some degree.

Cryomatrix
    Gdemami
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited October 2017
    I had feeling there is simply not lot of content for such type of game.
    This is now confirmed.

What do they spend all that development money ?
    CEO bonuses.  

I watched a review the other day that said the same thing.  A lot of the game is pretty much copy/paste from D1.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    It wasn't MMO in first place , so why do it have to worry about player base ?
  • DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    People got their fill of the content. When more is added some will come back, do it and leave again. Repeat x times
    SpottyGekko
  • HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    iixviiiix said:
    It wasn't MMO in first place , so why do it have to worry about player base ?
    DLC purchases, If people are already bored the chances there going buy the future DLC is quite slim.

To the overall topic I just came across something interesting.

So first about a week ago publishing site like IGN and Polygon said: Destiny 2 racks up 1.2 million players online, while eurogamer says box sales are down by half compared to D1.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/9/10/16283336/destiny-2-concurrent-players-million

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-09-11-destiny-2-is-biggest-launch-of-the-year-so-far

This week now we have a few publishers, not as big as the other 3 saying the playerbase dropped by over 2 million. 

So either the recent news is wrong or publishers like IGN and Polygon have made it seem like the number have climbed since launch, when they actually fell. 

Imho, I find it strange that a AAA title would only hit 1- 2 million now, worldwide after the marketing madness and crazy hype of the game. To me them losing around 2 million makes a lot more sense.

Either way both sound not very good imho

Gdemami
  • dcaldessadcaldessa Member UncommonPosts: 5
    It is a shame how people have to base final decisions on reviews. I mean taking something at the word of someone else what kind of way is that to live.. If i told you to go buy this car after I drove it around the block .. would you go right out and buy it. I find Reviews of things bias and controlled. I rather have my own freedom of choice If I am going to drop cash on a game or anything else. 

As for Destiny 2, I was able to get a beta key and I played the PC beta and I enjoyed it so did my guild mates so I pre - orderd and am looking forward to launch day next week,  Regardless what some reviewer said on some site. Why because thats the kind of game I enjoy. 

I could go on but I've said my 2 cents ..

see ya on the flipside 
    dcaldessa 

Born to the PC master race.
    Phixion13KyutaSyuko
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    dcaldessa said:
    It is a shame how people have to base final decisions on reviews. I mean taking something at the word of someone else what kind of way is that to live.. If i told you to go buy this car after I drove it around the block .. would you go right out and buy it. I find Reviews of things bias and controlled. I rather have my own freedom of choice If I am going to drop cash on a game or anything else. 

As for Destiny 2, I was able to get a beta key and I played the PC beta and I enjoyed it so did my guild mates so I pre - orderd and am looking forward to launch day next week,  Regardless what some reviewer said on some site. Why because thats the kind of game I enjoy. 

see ya on the flipside 
    dcaldessa 

People rely on reviews to avoid wasting their money. I played enough Destiny 1 to know D2 isnt worth my money, at least not full price. Reviews help people avoid dealing with the company that refuses to give full refund after buying a trash game digitally.

What  PC master race? business has nothing to do with PC master race or something else.
    MikehaPhixion13PhryRexKushmanConstantineMerus

dcaldessa said:

see ya on the flipside 
    dcaldessa 

You got a beta key and tested the game for free, yet you are complaining about people waiting for reviews that they ... don't have to pay for? It's common sense to read reviews for any product before making a commitment if you are required to purchase it. If it was free to play and people were waiting for the reviews I could understand, but it's not so it makes perfect sense.
    rojoArcueidPhry
    I've noticed the review community tends to not line up with my criteria on what I want from a game at all. Way too many reviewers that get nitpicky and ridiculous about pretty minor crap and way too many reviewers that don't care about the fact that the MMO they are reviewing is essentially the same game as the last 20 MMOs they reviewed.

Probably not a popular opinion to post on a site filled with MMO reviews but I never watch them. Waste of my time. Their ridiculous nitpickiness often points out problems with games you wouldn't have cared about if they hadn't been pointed out to you. I prefer to just play the game and see if I enjoy it or not.

The "not knowing anything" is why I read up on a game before buying it. Not reviews. I figure out what it's features are and ask questions of people who've played it pertinent to my interests.
    KyutaSyuko