Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Ship - Introductory Price of $850

Comments

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Wow. I would love to have a beer with you all, that must be a blast.

Ohh yeah SC. Booooo!

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Herase
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367
    Hey, I’m a fan of other people paying insane sums of money to make a game I will want to play. Otherwise, they will just waste it on beer and dope...that doesn’t benefit the rest of us at all.

You guys should get two of these ships, just in case one isn’t enough.

Orinorikikoodutroa8

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Erillion said:
    Kefo said:
    Know what tier that long range cobra comes in?

70 pounds sterling. Kinda a long cry away from 850 dollars eh but nice attempt to cherry pick
    As i said .. getting the Long Range Cobra Mk III at 5000 pounds sterling is completely optional. But someone did. 

As is getting the Pioneer at 850 $ .. also completely optional. You could have paid 20 $ back in the day and pick up the  Pioneer in game after launch day for in game money only.

Have fun
    How far after launch day?  Just a day?  A week? A year?
    The advantage isn't the ship itself, it's the time gap between someone buying the ship and someone earning it in game.   The people who start out with a fleet of ships will be dominating the Plebs at start. They will dominate combat or trade or exploration...
     The only question is how long.
    It will be a capital ship. I assume that the crew will pool its resources to get it.

Without fixed facts it is hard to say how long it takes. At this time we can only make an educated guess.

Based on experience in other space games - if i compare it with Elite or EVE - i would say .. a week, if the crew works together. I assume that the crew played Alpha and Beta and has experience with the economic system.

Have fun

Dizisma
  • CoticCotic Member UncommonPosts: 268
    edited October 2017
    Erillion said:
    Erillion said:
    Kefo said:

70 pounds sterling. Kinda a long cry away from 850 dollars eh but nice attempt to cherry pick
    As i said .. getting the Long Range Cobra Mk III at 5000 pounds sterling is completely optional. But someone did. 

As is getting the Pioneer at 850 $ .. also completely optional. You could have paid 20 $ back in the day and pick up the  Pioneer in game after launch day for in game money only.

Have fun
    The advantage isn't the ship itself, it's the time gap between someone buying the ship and someone earning it in game.   The people who start out with a fleet of ships will be dominating the Plebs at start. They will dominate combat or trade or exploration...
    It will be a capital ship. I assume that the crew will pool its resources to get it.

Without fixed facts it is hard to say how long it takes. At this time we can only make an educated guess.

Based on experience in other space games - if i compare it with Elite or EVE - i would say .. a week, if the crew works together. I assume that the crew played Alpha and Beta and has experience with the economic system.

Have fun

Rather skeptical of it being just a week, is that based on everyone starting in an Aurora/Mustang or with Hull E ships? :)

The whales will be in uproar if people are earning a ship in one week when they have paid $850 or more for it.
    Dizisma
    Cotic said:

Rather skeptical of it being just a week, is that based on everyone starting in an Aurora/Mustang or with Hull E ships? :)

I assume about 50 % in starter ships and 50 % in a mix of smaller pledge ships (Hornets, Origin ships, the occasional Connie, Freelancer or Hull A-C). Non casual gameplay (so more than just logging in for 30 min .... lets say 2-4 hours per day per person).

A group can achieve a lot if they work together.

In EVE we had projects where several dedicated people were working 18 hours a day to achieve a certain objective. For those that know EVE ... I was ASCN ...  first player outpost ... first Titan. Proud hobbit 'til this day  ;-)  Compared to that a craftable Star Citizen capital ship is small fry.

In SWG i have build large towns alone (from material to finished houses, factories, decorations and municipal buildings). The guild buddies just had to place them.

Have fun
    Dizisma
  • hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    edited October 2017
    Erillion said:

In EVE we had projects where several dedicated people were working 18 hours a day to achieve a certain objective. For those that know EVE ... I was ASCN ...  first player outpost ... first Titan. Proud hobbit 'til this day  ;-)  Compared to that a craftable Star Citizen capital ship is small fry.
    Explains a lot about our relationship.

I was there when we blew it up.

I had fun!  :p
    Erillionkikoodutroa8
  • azurreiazurrei Member UncommonPosts: 332
    edited October 2017
    sgel said:
    I'm so glad this project is crowdfunded and we get none of the greedy scummy publisher monetizing crap.

850$ for PRE-ordering in-game "LIMITED" content and then increasing the price when you can actually freaking use this content, is absolutely fine.

We might only have a glorified tech demo after 6 years of development but at least we're not publisher funded!

HYPE!
    Well said!  Use the funds of rabid gaming fools who like to easily part with their money - why risk the publisher money? Screw return on investment... pure profit - genius!  I hope everyone who is working on this project has their private, secluded islands prepped for when the shit hits the fan.
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    well afaik they said all games "can be bought with ingame money" once the game goes live, right?
    so, this is a special supporter perk for the moment, seems legit.

don't play betas, kids.

damn those bastards actually taking money for their work! game developers should all work for free!!!!!1111elevenelevenelfdwarf

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    I understand that you're supposed to be able to acquire these ships in-game as well.  But, wouldn't they have to make it very difficult to acquire them, or ships of similar level?  If they're easy to obtain, all the people that paid hundred or thousands are going to be enraged that they wasted their money.  They have to get some kind of huge advantage for that much cash.
    MadFrenchieMrMelGibsonOdeezee
  • OrinoriOrinori Member RarePosts: 751
    Why? is this some unwritten law?
    ErillionOdeezee
  • HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    I understand that you're supposed to be able to acquire these ships in-game as well.  But, wouldn't they have to make it very difficult to acquire them, or ships of similar level?  If they're easy to obtain, all the people that paid hundred or thousands are going to be enraged that they wasted their money.  They have to get some kind of huge advantage for that much cash.
    They may do, but why? They've know that these ship are going to be obtainable, but nothing about how quickly. If they choose to assume  that it will take a long time, then that's on their head imho.

Again why? The purpose of the money is for the project and the ships are the additional part for contributing, the ship power isn't included in the equation unless CiG want it to be. Again that would be them assuming it is without actually knowing. 
    Odeezee
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Herase said:
    They may do, but why? They've know that these ship are going to be obtainable, but nothing about how quickly. If they choose to assume  that it will take a long time, then that's on their head imho.

Again why? The purpose of the money is for the project and the ships are the additional part for contributing, the ship power isn't included in the equation unless CiG want it to be. Again that would be them assuming it is without actually knowing. 
    Well I'm going to assume paying for the running and upkeep of the multiplayer servers won't exactly be cheap and CIG has said they won't charge a subscription for this.

The logical conclusion would be that they continue to sell ships post launch in their cash shop. Ships will be attainable for in game cash sure but they will probably make it so restrictive so to drive you towards the cash shop.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    This game makes way too much in alpha to ever consider launching.
    someforumguyOdeezee
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    In the business of making a game or selling virtual ships?One seems to be garnering far more attention than the other.
    Odeezee

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

hfztt said:
    Erillion said:

Explains a lot about our relationship.

I was there when we blew it up.

I had fun!  :p
    Me too ;-)

Have fun
  • DijonCyanideDijonCyanide Member UncommonPosts: 586
    After initially hearing about this game I had such high hopes for Star Citizen since it had innovative & ambitious goals for the players to experience & enjoy, but nowadays it seems more like a running-joke &/or a pipe-dream with prices like this & it seems to keep prolonging itself for the sake of asking for more money instead of releasing.  Congratulations to anyone willing to pay $850 for some pixels.  Everyone deserves to invest what they desire into a hobby if it makes them happy, but this isn't even a game yet.  I hope Star Citizen delivers upon it's many promises, but it definitely is sculpting into a pay-to-win game.
    Odeezee
    Kefo said:

The logical conclusion would be that they continue to sell ships post launch in their cash shop. Ships will be attainable for in game cash sure but they will probably make it so restrictive so to drive you towards the cash shop.
    except they have also said they will not be selling anything beyond starter ships, there will be 'gold' for sale though which has daily caps on amount you can obtain. 
    Odeezee
    but it definitely is sculpting into a pay-to-win game.
    As long as you realise that you don't have to pay-to-win and can still win. I have no problem with people calling it pay to win. 
    rpmcmurphy
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Orinori said:
    As long as you realise that you don't have to pay-to-win and can still win. I have no problem with people calling it pay to win. 
    On the same side as saying folks will be behind for months trying to attain ships that have been bought by others now, it's a little premature to make that judgement, don't you think?

You could certainly assert it won't intentionally be so based upon Chris and Co.'s statements, but it's a tough balancing act between ensuring the ships bought now don't enable those players to dictate the game world and making those same ships seem worth the price you're charging for them now.  Hell hath no fury like a backer scorned.
    rpmcmurphy

Yeah ... lets rehash the PAY TO WIN  and SHIPS FOR SALE AFTER LAUNCH debate.

Its been sooooo long since we did this.

The official discussion thread on pay to win was 488 pages (in the old forum, i am sure more has been added since Spectrum - the new forum - launched):
    https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/212815/katamari-mega-thread-pay-to-win

I am absolutely sure we can find something that has not been discussed before (20 times). 19 times is also a sexy number. Lets add + 1.

Or people could read this:
    https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/173901/#Comment_173901

But they rarely do, so lets continue to discuss it ad nauseam.

And w.r.t. pay to win ... to save some time ... i picked a representative thread from MMORPG here.

http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/424859/please-explain-how-this-game-is-not-pay-to-win

To save some time, lets read page 1-10 and jump in at page 11, shall we ?

There are many more thread like this, of course. But i am sure we can find some more things to regurgitate w.r.t. this topic.

Have fun

rpmcmurphyJamesGoblin
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Orinori said:
    On the same side as saying folks will be behind for months trying to attain ships that have been bought by others now, it's a little premature to make that judgement, don't you think?

You could certainly assert it won't intentionally be so based upon Chris and Co.'s statements, but it's a tough balancing act between ensuring the ships bought now don't enable those players to dictate the game world and making those same ships seem worth the price you're charging for them now.  Hell hath no fury like a backer scorned.

So much this. They have already made it quite clear that ship prices will ramp up very fast and the cost to buy the larger ships are meant to be more in line with real world examples, ie a row boat at the low end to an aircraft carrier at the high.

The idea that these sales are totally benign and only afford the buyer a small advantage because at some point you can own one of these vessels via in game currency is a case of being exceptionally niave at best and wilfully misleading at worse.
    RedempOdeezee
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Erillion said:
    Yeah ...

Have fun

You can blame CIG for that, they made the decision to make Star Citizen synonymous with Pay-to-Win. There was an easy option available to them right at the start and they chose not to take it...

This game and its discussions are always going to circle back to Pay-to-Win.
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited October 2017
    You can blame CIG for that, they made the decision to make Star Citizen synonymous with Pay-to-Win. There was an easy option available to them right at the start and they chose not to take it...

This game and its discussions are always going to circle back to Pay-to-Win.
    Every game circles back to pay to win, this, EvE, any MMO that chooses the time vs money as to where the monetization happens, that is most of them (ofc side of those that do not offer the option to earn what you can buy).

Even games that do not offer the direct transactions can be P2W if you buy stuff from gold sellers instead, there's no way around it, when there's demand there's going to be the offer.
    Dizisma
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Orinori said:
    Kefo said:

except they have also said they will not be selling anything beyond starter ships, there will be 'gold' for sale though which has daily caps on amount you can obtain. 
    Right.....cause CIG always keep their word. They've never gone back on promises before right?
    ArglebargleDizisma
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    Erillion said:
    Erillion said:
    Kefo said:

Have fun

Have fun

A week to earn a ship that costs $1000?  I’d say that’s highly unlikely and honestly game breaking.  Yay for everyone be having pocket capital ships...
    MrMelGibson

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018