Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Ship - Introductory Price of $850

Comments

• ianicusianicus Member UncommonPosts: 665
    good god im glad I never bought into this train wreck.
    Odeezee
    "Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Vrika said:
    Erillion said:
    Talonsin said:

Lets be reasonable for a minute here, no one will be "earning" a thousand dollar ship in a month or two or three once the game launches. 
    Nah, such a thing would NEVER happen in a space sim game. Never !

https://www.pcgamesn.com/elite-dangerous/elite-dangerous-the-life-of-a-space-billionaire

I wasn't aware that Elite's devs sold ships for a thousand dollars. Could you please link your source?
    Sorry, forgot to add the requested link in my first post

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1461411552/elite-dangerous

Technically speaking i could  get a Long Range version of the Cobra Mk III for 5000 Pound Sterling if I want ... completely optional of course ..... and at least one person did.

Have fun

Dizisma
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Erillion said:
    Vrika said:
    Erillion said:
    Talonsin said:

Lets be reasonable for a minute here, no one will be "earning" a thousand dollar ship in a month or two or three once the game launches. 

https://www.pcgamesn.com/elite-dangerous/elite-dangerous-the-life-of-a-space-billionaire

I wasn't aware that Elite's devs sold ships for a thousand dollars. Could you please link your source?

Technically speaking i could  get a Long Range version of the Cobra Mk III for 5000 Pound Sterling if I want ... completely optional of course ..... and at least one person did.

Have fun

I don't see anywhere on there where it says you got a Cobra Mk III.  The 5000 packs only talk about getting a system named after you, and dinner with the team...  Where's the ship for sale you mentioned?

Erillion said:
    Vrika said:
    Erillion said:
    Talonsin said:

Have fun

I don't see anywhere on there where it says you got a Cobra Mk III.  The 5000 packs only talk about getting a system named after you, and dinner with the team...  Where's the ship for sale you mentioned?
    May I draw your attention to the words "...plus all rewards above." , which includes "...long range version of the Cobra Mk III ".

You do not have to pay 5000 pounds sterling for it, but you can .. completely optional. And someone did.

In Star Citizen you can also get all ships in game for in game money. But you CAN donate more real world cash than the basic pledge package (which was available for as low as 20 $ at some point) if you want ... completely optional.

Have fun
    MadFrenchieVrikaDizisma
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    I gotta admit, the concept of digital ships costing this much boggles my mind.  Why are people willing to pay this much for pixels?  Would someone please explain it to me?
    YashaXOdeezee
    I gotta admit, the concept of digital ships costing this much boggles my mind.  Why are people willing to pay this much for pixels?  Would someone please explain it to me?
    Because they can ?

Because there are some people for whom that amount of money is spare change ?

Because player organisations pool their money to get an HQ ship they like, with each individual pilot contributing a small part of the total sum ?

Because some people want to resell it to others for profit ?

Because they are absolutely not interested in the ship itself and want to support the project with a sizable sum ?

Because they want to be part of something greater ?

There are hundredthousands of reasons ...

Have fun
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Hundreds of reasons, all of them unfathomable to me.  I guess I'm just of a totally different mindset when it comes to how much a game is worth.  The phrase that comes to mind:  More money than brains.  But hell, if you're rich, I guess you need to spend it on something.
     But hell, if you're rich, I guess you need to spend it on something.
    Like flying to Mars ?  ;-)

Bildergebnis fr elon musk

Or into orbit ?

Bildergebnis fr richard garriott

Have fun
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited October 2017
    Erillion said:
    Erillion said:
    Vrika said:
    Erillion said:
    Talonsin said:

Have fun

May I draw your attention to the words "...plus all rewards above." , which includes "...long range version of the Cobra Mk III ".

You do not have to pay 5000 pounds sterling for it, but you can .. completely optional. And someone did.

In Star Citizen you can also get all ships in game for in game money. But you CAN donate more real world cash than the basic pledge package (which was available for as low as 20 $ at some point) if you want ... completely optional.

Have fun
    Wow, that's quite a stretch.  Mental gymnastics, even.
    Dizisma

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Erillion said:
    Erillion said:
    Vrika said:
    Erillion said:
    Talonsin said:

Have fun

Have fun
    Know what tier that long range cobra comes in?

70 pounds sterling. Kinda a long cry away from 850 dollars eh but nice attempt to cherry pick
    Dizisma
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    The monetization of this "game" makes what's happening with loot boxes in AAA games seem benign.
    rpmcmurphyMaxBaconOdeezee
    Kefo said:

70 pounds sterling. Kinda a long cry away from 850 dollars eh but nice attempt to cherry pick
    As i said .. getting the Long Range Cobra Mk III at 5000 pounds sterling is completely optional. But someone did. 

As is getting the Pioneer at 850 $ .. also completely optional. You could have paid 20 $ back in the day and pick up the  Pioneer in game after launch day for in game money only.

Have fun
    KefoDizismaOrinoriMadFrenchieFrankVLucas
    YashaX said:
    The monetization of this "game" makes what's happening with loot boxes in AAA games seem benign.
    But these games with loot boxes are not crowd funded. That is the micro transaction model.

Crowd funding is based on this pledge monetization model - it is inherent to the system. CIG just pushed it to the next level with ongoing crowd funding ... and many others did the same. 

Have fun
    Dizisma
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    You could call anything crowdfunded if you wanted, it's purely semantical, if people are paying then the crowd is funding....

What I dislike about this ship sale (bar the obvious) is that it is labelled a "game changer", however only people who pay $850 (£1020 / €1020) get to change their game.
    The Polaris, which was initially a $750 ship was rumoured to cost tens of millions UEC in game, something that would take a guild a long time to save for or a single person an exceptionally long time to save for.
    This "game changer" is even more expensive so it's likely to be cost even more than the Polaris.
    But the only ones that can have access to it are the ones that can pay.

When they said they were going to do things differently I'm not sure this is what people had in mind....
    MaxBaconDizismasomeforumguyOdeezee

Incorrect.

EVERYONE has access to it in game after launch. And all you have to pay for it is a basic pledge package, which was available for as low as 20 bucks.

Have fun

rpmcmurphyDizismasomeforumguy
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    SEANMCAD said:
    Redemp said:
    SEANMCAD said:

its EXTREEMLY common.

There are a LOT of well meaning, honest people in this world who are terrible at management and keep doing it and keep failing at it.

how old are you guys? I dont mean that as an insult but I am just amazed that you guys have never met someone like that?

I would venture to say all the projects I have ever been on, the vast majority of them end up late and over budget.

and if the wife publically says 'he is late as always' that should be a major tell.
    I'm old enough - in the corporate world we call this a cop-out. It doesn't last long and should be ran out of any industry. I work as a Project Manager ... a career specifically built to combat this type of ineptitude. Small businesses get away with it, barely ... but when you're playing with public funds it's a no go.
    dude to be frank if everyone who did that was out of the market the entire IT industry would not exist.

give me a break.

but here is the thing, lets not confuse being dishonest with being bad at project management. You are trying to slowly suggest the two are the same, they are not. I dont mind the stance that CR should be run out of the industry because he is not good at project management but dont twist it to suggest he is being dishonest because its different.

Also...to be completely frank, what he is doing is small fry compared to what standard AAA titles have been doing for years.
    My friend who worked with Roberts on every single one of his Origin projects had this to say about Roberts' demeanor:   "Chris Roberts believes every single thing he says, regardless of its relationship to reality."  He easily convinces himself of his own claims.   I'm sure he thinks he's a great manager, and it's only those little people not doing their jobs properly that causes all these problems.

While Roberts brought a cinematic vision and innovation to games some 25 years ago, he's got an obvious pattern of behavior that's detrimental to any and every game he's worked on.   He's not matured over time, he's still doing it.  Nowadays he doesn't have the Origin structure to bail him out when he goes overboard on his game dross.   And Digital Anvil is the sole  example of him being large and in charge.   Roberts' Great Big Ego will require what's most likely the most money every wasted on game development.  

If the fans are lucky, someone else will eventually take over and actually get something workable out.   Maybe send some queries Microsoft way again  --  though I'd bet it would be Amazon.....
    YashaXDizismaMaxBaconOdeezee

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    Hey, if people keep buying $1000 ships, keep selling $1000 ships.   It's like they've created this lifestyle brand, and they can keep the spigot open by their relentless PR and marketing to the Star Citizeneer's  way of life.    It's pretty amazing actually.  

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

Erillion said:
    Kefo said:

As i said .. getting the Long Range Cobra Mk III at 5000 pounds sterling is completely optional. But someone did. 

As is getting the Pioneer at 850 $ .. also completely optional. You could have paid 20 $ back in the day and pick up the  Pioneer in game after launch day for in game money only.

Have fun
    Except they were giving the 5000 for other perks like having a system named after them or to have dinner with the devs, not to get a single ship.

You're really stretching here Erillion. 
    rpmcmurphyFrodoFraginsDizismasomeforumguyFrankVLucas
    Erillion said:

Incorrect.

EVERYONE has access to it in game after launch. And all you have to pay for it is a basic pledge package, which was available for as low as 20 bucks.

Have fun

Everyone has access to it if you're in the same corp/guild. For those who can't or don't want to pay real cash for this then they can slave away on the ship or they can probably spend months grinding in game to try and afford one.
    MaxBaconDizisma
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    But other people buying ships for thousands of dollars has no effect on my need to grind to get them if I don't want to spend real cash.

NO EFFECT I TELL YOU
    rpmcmurphyMaxBacon

..Cake..

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Idiots have thrown so much money at this project they have little incentive to even succeed. Give Olympians gold medals before they win and see how hard they try after the fact.
    Odeezee
  • RhygarthRhygarth Member UncommonPosts: 259
    I have backed this game from the start with a simple package but with the amount of cash that people blindly throw at this game i am not so sure i will bother to install it when/if it comes out.
    Odeezee
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Erillion said:

Incorrect.

Have fun

Ok, this is really scummy quoting and word-twisting Erillion.

I specifically made a point about how long it would take your non-paying players to earn the ship, if it takes them 6 months then the only people who own the Pioneer during those 6 months are the ones that have handed over $850 (£1020 / €1020).

MaxBaconsgelDizismaKefosomeforumguy
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited October 2017
    *edit. to prevent ill'intentioned mod reports: "missing the point, as always" is not implying a passive insult yet a mention to previous times we've had the exact discussion and the same point was dodged and had to be explained. And was clarified.

Ok, this is really scummy quoting and word-twisting Erillion.

I specifically made a point about how long it would take your non-paying players to earn the ship, if it takes them 6 months then the only people who own the Pioneer during those 6 months are the ones that have handed over $850 (£1020 / €1020).
    *We keep having this discussion and you always miss the point.

The capitals ships aren't meant for solo players, they are meant for guilds to get them and to be played within the fleets of guilds. Not "I'm going to grind for a capital ship for myself".

There are MANY times more ships than there are players, this argument of "U GOTTA PAY OR GRIND FOREVAH!" is ridiculous when you simply join one org and play through what you want with your mates until and if you want, will be able to get one.  It's not a race of a linear ship progression forcing you to either pay or grind to properly play.

This tunnel vision that refuses to consider anything else but the initial belief destroys any possible discussion seriously --'
    Post edited by MaxBacon on
    rpmcmurphyDizismaErillionsomeforumguyFrankVLucasOdeezee
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Bought a basic package and have a single shitty ship?
    Worried about all those other people who have ready armadas on day 1 because they stretched their wallet?
    NO PROBLEM!
    Just grrrrind your soul out or join a guild that payed cash for access to these ships.
    PROBLEM SOLVED!

Welcome to the 'verse commando!

(Coming sometime in the far far future to a PC near you
    MaxBaconFrodoFraginsDizismasomeforumguyOdeezee

..Cake..