Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Five Star Wars Games We’d Like to See - The List - MMORPG.com

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
edited October 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageFive Star Wars Games We’d Like to See - The List - MMORPG.com

With the recent news of EA’s closing of Visceral Studios and move of the Star Wars project there to EA Vancouver, there’s been plenty of speculation on what the revamped game may look like. Since we’re probably not going to know either way for a while, I thought of a more important question: what kinds of Star Wars games would we like to see? The possibilities are almost endless, but I have a few picks in mind.

Read the full story here

Comments

• koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447
    So, on a site that is called MMORPG.....and a question about what Star Wars game you all at MMORPG would like to see, there is nothing about SWG? Sure, it was a game that never actually worked, but strop trolling me!
    BillMurphySamhael
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    I think he's aiming for plausible ideas, @koboldfodder

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    I am going to have to kind of, go with @koboldfodder on this one. I think as re-make or a episode 2 version of SWG (sans the bug issue of course) would be far more appealing than anything mentioned on this list.

As far as plausible...how would an SWG anything be less plausible than what is mentioned here?
    AlomarConstantineMerus

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    edited October 2017
    My dream game:

- Star Wars Galaxies world, e.g., crafting, professions, world housing, player economies, player cities, etc.

- The Force Unleashed-style melee combat.

- Battlefront 2-style gun combat.

- Battlefront 2-style space flight, but perhaps a bit deeper.
    HatefullAlomarRolanStormMrMelGibsonConstantineMerus
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

Hatefull said:

I am going to have to kind of, go with @koboldfodder on this one. I think as re-make or a episode 2 version of SWG (sans the bug issue of course) would be far more appealing than anything mentioned on this list.

As far as plausible...how would an SWG anything be less plausible than what is mentioned here?

SWG was made when Star Wars was considered "nerdy". Today, if SWG was made with modern graphics, it would do very well.
    HatefullTillerAsm0deusAlomarRolanStormSamhaelBlaze_Rocker
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163

Dauzqul said:

Hatefull said:

SWG was made when Star Wars was considered "nerdy". Today, if SWG was made with modern graphics, it would do very well.

This

I mean even people who aren't super Star Wars fans line up in droves when Sta Wars Galaxies Edge opens. The movies as well. An open world MMO based on Star Wars would do ok I think.
    http://massivelyop.com/2017/04/17/disneys-new-star-wars-ride-is-half-an-mmo/
    ConstantineMerus
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    edited October 2017
    Title could've been 'Five Star Wars Games We Definately Won't See Anytime Soon'.

Before 2023 anyway. Because EA owns license atm. So it will just be lootbox galore multiplayer Star Wars games.

NildenBlaze_Rocker
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Title could've been 'Five Star Wars Games We Definately Won't See Anytime Soon'.

Before 2023 anyway. Because EA owns license atm. So it will just be lootbox galore multiplayer Star Wars games.

Disney actually owns the rights to the Star Wars IP.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    edited October 2017

Hatefull said:

Yes and sold EA the license to exclusively publish SW games until 2023. Thanks for not getting it.
    AlomarPhry
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402

Hatefull said:

EA has exclusive license rights to SW consoles/PC games until 2023 (10 years deal signed in 2013) and exclusive MMO license (aka SWTOR, it was a different deal than consoles/PC games but it might have been merged now). I had the impression that Disney had kept more control over the mobile game license but with SW: Rise to Power being a EA games, they might have took control of that too now.
  • RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Double-yes on a new X-Wing/Tie Fighter game. Every few years or so, there's been some kind of game that scratches the itch of the older games. But since XWA, there hasn't been a SW game that comes close to that format(SWGJTL? Sorta...). Makes me wonder if they didn't make as much money as expected?

Imagine what a Tie Fighter game with modern GFX and an updated inferface could be like...
  • ChicagoCubChicagoCub Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Who's "we"?  Do you have a frog in your pocket?
  • KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667
    The only thing standing in the way, is having to pay some one to do it and write it. Both are very expensive. Maybe some intrepid indie will make a game striped on the SW IP, and all of the game play. But some yahoo will ruining it for everyone, to being the first avatar named D@rth BadA$$.

Clearly this could have been a top 10 list. Because I didn't see "SW 1313," that is a game I wanted to see. I couldn't imagine what the underside to the SW universe would look like. Or SW vs Marvel vs Capcom?
    Samhael

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• Hashcow101Hashcow101 Member UncommonPosts: 105
    I say we burn EA studios to the ground and take over and publish the games we want as a collective lol.
    Blaze_Rocker

"May Your Head Explode And Blood Swell From The Wound"
    - Hashcow

• Shana77Shana77 Member UncommonPosts: 290
    Wow no SWG? That should be on number 1 by far. Imagine a FF14 style remake of SWG!
    Blaze_Rocker
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Torval said:
    The Star Wars games I want to see:
    1. Shared world RPG in the format of Secret World Legends.
    2.Open world + open narrative along the lines of Shadow of Mordor meets GTA V (world style not theme).
    3. Turn based single/multiplayer RPG in the format of D:OS2, Pillars, and Torment.

Don't you already have #1 with SWTOR? There is rarely more than 10 people/planet on my server these days (minus the starting planets and fleet). 

and I agree with 3, that would be awesome.
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Torval said:
    2.Open world + open narrative along the lines of Shadow of Mordor meets GTA V (world style not theme).
    3. Turn based single/multiplayer RPG in the format of D:OS2, Pillars, and Torment.

Awesome list. I'd personally add as well a SW strategy/RPG like X-Com 2.  That would make it my ideal list
    [Deleted User]
  • SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498

I think he's aiming for plausible ideas, @koboldfodder

It would have been nice if he had come up with some then.
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    Top of my list would be a sandbox-hybrid single player RPG, along the lines of Elder Scrolls or GTA but set in the star wars universe. For some bizarre reason, we've had very few Star Wars RPGs over the years and whilst many people loved the KOTOR series, they were too story-focused and linear for my liking (combined with shit combat).

A Star Wars version of GTA though....

Also want to give a +1 to the XCOM suggestion - I would love an XCOM style SW game!
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

Yep. Anything they make will be greedy lootbox garbage. It would ruin a SWG type MMORPG just like the cartel market ruins SWTOR and X-wing vs Tie fighter would have gambling lootboxes that ruined it, EA would just inject any Star Wars game with cash shop cancer of the worst kind so there is no point in even having a list.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    edited October 2017
    From EA?
    You don't get "Star Wars" You get something that says Star Wars, but isn't. (Well, SWTOR anyway)
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Torval said:

Awesome list. I'd personally add as well a SW strategy/RPG like X-Com 2.  That would make it my ideal list
    It already kinda exists, in the form of a mobile game lol. Galaxy of Heroes.

Honestly I would like to see a SW game with a mix of
    SWG-for crafting, open worldness, skills system, QOL
    BDO-for the way the world map works (kind of a CIV type mini game with guidl holdings)
    GW2-for the hybrid combat system, (but better), the market system where you can convert ingame currency to buy vanity items (lightsaber hilt or gun design) everyone could potentially have access to this without breaking out the credit card beyond the initial game purchase.

I think players should still be able to craft the best stuff,  combat should be fluid, without feeling like twitch combat. Throw in some atmospheric flight on some planets, the ability to own instanced land ect. Story you can chose to follow, or not. Nothing wrong with being an Uncle Owen, as long as a path beyond that is clear and optional.   It should be buy to play with maybe yearly expansions with generous amounts of content.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    1. SW the MOBA
    2. SW the TCG
    3. SW the Lobby Shooter
    4. SW the Open World Ubisoft-like game
    5. SW the Pixel Art indie game

Yawn.. I wish more was done with Star Trek tbh. 

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Gorwe
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    While a X-wing sequel would be awesome I have a feeling we soon will drown in SW games no matter what. But like any other movie or TV based games most will be terrible.

I don't see why so many people here thinks that a remake of SWG would do so well though, while it had some success and certainly would get some players I don't see how it could become a top game in either case unless they made a lot of changes and in that case it would just upset you guys anyways. 

It would be way better to start anew but borrow (okay, steal) the best ideas from the game instead like crafting. And you honestly could use another IP for that like Dune or Firefly instead, it would be far cheaper (not to mention you would get fewer restrictions from the IP owner) and if you want to keep the players you want to get them for your fun game, not for your famous IP.
    Mowzer
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    I never understood why SWG and SWTOR didn't focus on delivering epic space combat ala the XWing vs. Tie Fighter series. They didn't need to be the focus but they should have been there at launch.