Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Ship - Introductory Price of $850

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    The Consolidated Outlands Pioneer will go on sale Friday, October 27th. It will have an introductory price of $850 and be in limited quantities.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/1/thread/spaceship-prices

Hangar ready will see the price increase by $100 or thereabout.
    Flight ready will see the price increase again by another $100 or thereabout.

Get yours while it's cheap. This ship is the much hyped "game changer", do not miss out!!

Please change title... very misleading.  I was all set to buy my $850 ship but in reality it is $1050 to be flight ready.

Stop getting my hopes up.

I'll wait for the Winter Sale-A-Thon and hopefully catch a "Buy 3 pixel ships for the Price of 2 sale"

will you really or do you find stretching the truth to be more ethical then selling overpriced virtual items?
    There is no such thing as stretching truth.  Something is either true or false.

lol.....
    ok so....

will you really do it or are do you consider lie by you  to be more ethical then selling overpriced virtual items?

is that better?

meaning do you feel given a consumer the OPTION to buy or not buy a virtual item is more unethical than biting untrue sarcasm?
    Where did I say they were unethical?  Is your attempt to put those words in my mouth an example of this lying you mention?
    Im a fan of CR.  I still have my original signed pre-order of Wing Commander and the hat that came with it.  You defenders need to relax a bit.  To quote Stg. Hulka " LIGHTEN UP FRANCIS"

fair enough, ironic how I dont even have the game
    I have no problem poking fun at, or God forbid... genuinely criticizing companies or games that I like.  I'm really focused on SQ42 so in general I don't really care about selling pixel ships for $1000 in the MMO.  My main objection is the fundamental issue of selling in game advantages for out of game  money.  If someone wants to give $1000... or $100,000 that's on them... but if they are buying advantages for that money I think it's a different discussion.

Octagon7711MadFrenchieGdemami

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited October 2017
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    The Consolidated Outlands Pioneer will go on sale Friday, October 27th. It will have an introductory price of $850 and be in limited quantities.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/1/thread/spaceship-prices

Get yours while it's cheap. This ship is the much hyped "game changer", do not miss out!!

Please change title... very misleading.  I was all set to buy my $850 ship but in reality it is $1050 to be flight ready.

I'll wait for the Winter Sale-A-Thon and hopefully catch a "Buy 3 pixel ships for the Price of 2 sale"

will you really or do you find stretching the truth to be more ethical then selling overpriced virtual items?

lol.....
    ok so....

will you really do it or are do you consider lie by you  to be more ethical then selling overpriced virtual items?

is that better?

meaning do you feel given a consumer the OPTION to buy or not buy a virtual item is more unethical than biting untrue sarcasm?
    Where did I say they were unethical?  Is your attempt to put those words in my mouth an example of this lying you mention?
    Im a fan of CR.  I still have my original signed pre-order of Wing Commander and the hat that came with it.  You defenders need to relax a bit.  To quote Stg. Hulka " LIGHTEN UP FRANCIS"

I have no problem poking fun at, or God forbid... genuinely criticizing companies or games that I like.  I'm really focused on SQ42 so in general I don't really care about selling pixel ships for $1000 in the MMO.  My main objection is the fundamental issue of selling in game advantages for out of game  money.  If someone wants to give $1000... or $100,000 that's on them... but if they are buying advantages for that money I think it's a different discussion.

yeah I hear that, the claim has been multiple times explicitly stated that it will not be like that when the game is released. They state repeatably that those who pay more will not have an advantage. So with that in place I think its a good practice to not use language that assumes its factual that it will not be like that because we do not have any direct evidence to suggest what they are saying is not true.

however....I dont see how they are going to be able to do it but until we have really solid evidence that what they are explictly saying is not true I dont think we should assume its a fact that it will give advantage.

sound reasonable?

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    I think heads will literally explode of the people that invested in this title if it never gets released. I want to see it but at the same time I feel kind of bad if that happens to them.
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    SEANMCAD said:
    Talonsin said:
    Orinori said:
    Why would I care if a few others spend that much on the game if it isn't going to affect my game play any?
    Maybe you will care when they blow up your tiny $35 ship and your cargo you worked all morning for.
    so we should reduce game mechanics to the lowest level of intelligence out there becasue he didnt know what he was getting into? we need everyone to stay in the same safe space created because of that possibility?
    What the heck are you going on about?  No one is asking for a "safe space" or a reduction in game mechanics.  Why do you always take things to the ludicrous level?  I was pointing out the pay to win aspect of some of these thousand dollar ships and that is exactly why people are purchasing them, they know they will have a strong advantage in the game for quite a long time.
    rpmcmurphyDizisma
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Got to be honest.  Every time one of these expensive ships goes on sale it becomes comedy gold on these forums lol.
    kikoodutroa8ArglebargleOdeezee
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Orinori said:
    Talonsin said:
    Orinori said:
    Why would I care if a few others spend that much on the game if it isn't going to affect my game play any?
    Maybe you will care when they blow up your tiny $35 ship and your cargo you worked all morning for.
    How would I know the difference of if they paid for it or just worked for it? 

You will know in the first week when you can not earn enough to get the $100 ship because you are getting ganked by all the people who spent $200+ on ships.

Lets be reasonable for a minute here, no one will be "earning" a thousand dollar ship in a month or two or three once the game launches.  The whole business model revolves around continuing to sell ships and equipment hence no sub fee.  That model wont work if the average player can earn the things they want in a few months time.
    Slapshot1188Octagon7711GdemamiMrMelGibsonDizismasomeforumguy
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

Talonsin said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Talonsin said:
    Orinori said:
    so we should reduce game mechanics to the lowest level of intelligence out there becasue he didnt know what he was getting into? we need everyone to stay in the same safe space created because of that possibility?
    What the heck are you going on about?  No one is asking for a "safe space" or a reduction in game mechanics.  Why do you always take things to the ludicrous level?  I was pointing out the pay to win aspect of some of these thousand dollar ships and that is exactly why people are purchasing them, they know they will have a strong advantage in the game for quite a long time.
    fair enough however I have to challenge you on what you are saying is going to happen.

I personally believe that there will be an advantage, however I refrain from saying that it will as if its a fact. Reason is SC has multiple times explicitly stated that it will not so how do you become so confident that it will to the point of casually stating it as if its an understood fact when the reality is the stated plans are the opposite?

In the post I reply to you on, it sounded to me like something it was not so I back peddle on that.
    Odeezee

• RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136
    MaxBacon said:

If you don't see a difference I can't help you, it's the difference of getting money to put back into attempting to make a great game vs getting money for profit and fill coffers.

I understand the point you're trying to make. I just disagree with it .. they aren't missing deadlines, adding new features, and selling addon's because they are a benevolent company. They are doing it for profit, whether some of that is funneled back into the game or not is moot. This content bloat is profit driven, of course there is a pedestal for people to defend the additional "Please donate for this" funding additional features but ultimately they are profiting. It's far to easy to demonize traditional publishing methods, but they turned games out.. I see CIG's SC venture as the publisher counter part in this "crowd funding era". We don't have to agree, that's just my perspective.
    Odeezee
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

lol.....
    ok so....

is that better?

yeah I hear that, the claim has been multiple times explicitly stated that it will not be like that when the game is released. They state repeatably that those who pay more will not have an advantage. So with that in place I think its a good practice to not use language that assumes its factual that it will not be like that because we do not have any direct evidence to suggest what they are saying is not true.

however....I dont see how they are going to be able to do it but until we have really solid evidence that what they are explictly saying is not true I dont think we should assume its a fact that it will give advantage.

sound reasonable?
    If you can explain how buying a fleet if ships with LTI is not an advantage... they will have these ships on day one while everyone else will have the starter..
    To me there is no doubt it's buying advantages... the only question is how big of an advantage (how long would it take to grind a fleet of ships and buy insurance).

But if you want to wait for release to call them out that's your prerogative.  In my experience it's too late at that point. 
    Gdemami

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Redemp said:
    MaxBacon said:

If you don't see a difference I can't help you, it's the difference of getting money to put back into attempting to make a great game vs getting money for profit and fill coffers.

I understand the point you're trying to make. I just disagree with it .. they aren't missing deadlines, adding new features, and selling addon's because they are a benevolent company. They are doing it for profit, whether some of that is funneled back into the game or not is moot. This content bloat is profit driven, of course there is a pedestal for people to defend the additional "Please donate for this" funding additional features but ultimately they are profiting. It's far to easy to demonize traditional publishing methods, but they turned games out.. I see CIG's SC venture as the publisher counter part in this "crowd funding era". We don't have to agree, that's just my perspective.
    I think they are absolutely doing it because they are benevolent .

just not good at management. 

I pride myself is being able to read people very well, tests I have taken back that up. When I watch Chris Roberts on multiple interviews both with journalists and as PR marketing plans, I read that he does have a desire to do this project, that he does want to do what people are asking.
    I also read that he discovered that he is good at raising money, and that he is good with ideas, he is not good with execution, I dont think he knows that about himself just yet.

Now, contrast that with lets say Electronic Arts who stated things like 'I guess we innovated too much' when talking about micro-transactions and who is on purpose pairing people together in game to best maximized the chance of more transactions its like fucking night and day 
    MrMelGibsonDizisma

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    SEANMCAD said:
    Redemp said:
    MaxBacon said:

I pride myself is being able to read people very well, tests I have taken back that up. When I watch Chris Roberts on multiple interviews both with journalists and as PR marketing plans, I read that he does have a desire to do this project, that he does want to do what people are asking.
    I also read that he discovered that he is good at raising money, and that he is good with ideas, he is not good with execution, I dont think he knows that about himself just yet.

How could he possibly not know that he is bad at execution when he ran his last game company into the ground and had to be bailed out by Microsoft?

Dizisma
    Kefo said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Redemp said:
    MaxBacon said:

How could he possibly not know that he is bad at execution when he ran his last game company into the ground and had to be bailed out by Microsoft?

Or watched his Wing Commander movie?  
    Heh... I actually like the musical score for it... but the movie was pretty bad... even for Freddie Prinze Jr.

MrMelGibsonDizisma

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Talonsin said:

Lets be reasonable for a minute here, no one will be "earning" a thousand dollar ship in a month or two or three once the game launches. 
    Nah, such a thing would NEVER happen in a space sim game. Never !

https://www.pcgamesn.com/elite-dangerous/elite-dangerous-the-life-of-a-space-billionaire

Have fun

• OrinoriOrinori Member RarePosts: 751
    edited October 2017
    Talonsin said:
    Orinori said:
    Talonsin said:
    Orinori said:
    How would I know the difference of if they paid for it or just worked for it? 

You will know in the first week when you can not earn enough to get the $100 ship because you are getting ganked by all the people who spent $200+ on ships.

Lets be reasonable for a minute here, no one will be "earning" a thousand dollar ship in a month or two or three once the game launches.  The whole business model revolves around continuing to sell ships and equipment hence no sub fee.  That model wont work if the average player can earn the things they want in a few months time.
    I would prefer if it wan't this way (despite some mistakes you make like ships besides starter ships won't be for sale, there will be 'gold' you can buy though that has a cap), but it is and the reality is that after a short while 'no' you won't know and it won't really matter what others do with their time, you fight against what is in front of you regardless of how it got there. The enemy NPC's wont even have to pay for their stuff, it will all be free. On top of this, the game does not even revolve around PvP (at least not yet). They want to flood the game with 9/1 ratio of AI to players, will have safe ish areas against random PvP so you can pretty much avoid it if you want while grinding. Then there is the case of how many are able to put that advantage over the advantage you have over people as the only advantage that is really gotten is a time advantage. Do you play more than the person who bought that ship? if so then you probably have the upperhand! so it can be seen that not all people who purchase items even have an advantage over you....

Bottom line is though that no you won't know or care about what others are buying or doing (at least from what has been stated that I know of anyway). Your argument is one of theory, yeah sure in theory I am mad as hell that guy paid for an advantage over me! damn him!......whoever he is.
    Dizisma
    SEANMCAD said:

I pride myself is being able to read people very well, tests I have taken back that up.
    I disagree, and the post my aging mother put on Facebook the other day say's I'm an excellent judge of character too.  :p
    MrMelGibsonDizisma
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I'm seeing donation requests going up and responsibility to deliver on a schedule going down.  They have pretty much created a dream job.  No due dates.  Take your time doing things because there's no pressure.  Change things around as much as you want.  Ten, twenty, thirty years, no worries because they have a steady salary coming in, probably until retirement.  Good times.

Also, if I have a fleet when the game starts and my friend has one ship and we want to PvP, say both our ships get destroyed.  I'll just hop into my other one while he waits for the insurance to go through (both of us have had our ships destroyed multiple times which means insurance will take longer each time). 

Say he wants a mining ship one day.  He can work on mine to make the money while I make some money off of him helping me so I can buy better upgrades for my ships.  Maybe I'll rent a few of my ships out for a steady income while he's working for me.  Now I have enough saved to buy that new anniversary concept ship while my friend is still working on getting and equipping that mining ship he wanted.   Perhaps my friend will think it's fair, perhaps not.
    RedempMrMelGibsonOdeezee

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

edited October 2017
    Kefo said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Redemp said:
    MaxBacon said:

its EXTREEMLY common.

There are a LOT of well meaning, honest people in this world who are terrible at management and keep doing it and keep failing at it.

how old are you guys? I dont mean that as an insult but I am just amazed that you guys have never met someone like that?

I would venture to say all the projects I have ever been on, the vast majority of them end up late and over budget.

and if the wife publically says 'he is late as always' that should be a major tell.
    Dizisma

SEANMCAD said:

its EXTREEMLY common.

There are a LOT of well meaning, honest people in this world who are terrible at management and keep doing it and keep failing at it.

how old are you guys? I dont mean that as an insult but I am just amazed that you guys have never met someone like that?

I would venture to say all the projects I have ever been on, the vast majority of them end up late and over budget.

and if the wife publically says 'he is late as always' that should be a major tell.
    I'm old enough - in the corporate world we call this a cop-out. It doesn't last long and should be ran out of any industry. I work as a Project Manager ... a career specifically built to combat this type of ineptitude. Small businesses get away with it, barely ... but when you're playing with public funds it's a no go.
    Dizisma
    Redemp said:
    SEANMCAD said:

its EXTREEMLY common.

I'm old enough - in the corporate world we call this a cop-out. It doesn't last long and should be ran out of any industry. I work as a Project Manager ... a career specifically built to combat this type of ineptitude. Small businesses get away with it, barely ... but when you're playing with public funds it's a no go.
    dude to be frank if everyone who did that was out of the market the entire IT industry would not exist.

give me a break.

but here is the thing, lets not confuse being dishonest with being bad at project management. You are trying to slowly suggest the two are the same, they are not. I dont mind the stance that CR should be run out of the industry because he is not good at project management but dont twist it to suggest he is being dishonest because its different.

Also...to be completely frank, what he is doing is small fry compared to what standard AAA titles have been doing for years.
    Dizisma

SEANMCAD said:
    Redemp said:
    SEANMCAD said:

its EXTREEMLY common.

but here is the thing, lets not confuse being dishonest with being bad at project management. You are trying to slowly suggest the two are the same, they are not.
    No -  not really my prerogative to make that inference. I made the point that CIG isn't a benevolent company, you disagreed and think he's just bad at managing his project. I think that's a cop-out excuse, regardless of his history and disagree completely. The games being built for a profit and every feature creep with tag along addon/donation is also for a profit.
    Dizisma
  • HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    If you can explain how buying a fleet if ships with LTI is not an advantage... they will have these ships on day one while everyone else will have the starter..
    To me there is no doubt it's buying advantages... the only question is how big of an advantage (how long would it take to grind a fleet of ships and buy insurance).

But if you want to wait for release to call them out that's your prerogative.  In my experience it's too late at that point. 
    From what I see looking at ships on the page, the ships only become as strong as the components you put in, which you will only be able to buy in-game, if my memory serves me well. 

Think warframe, you only  become stronger if you mod/fuse, increase mod capacity and alter the polarity of slots, the frame it'self isn't powerful.

I can understand the line of thinking because it's something many companies do and seem like the logical answer considering the costs, but it has to be taken into consideration that these ships aren't normal ships, they're more interactive and customizable than what you would get in most space games.

I don't think it's as black and white with big being better and small being crap because some big ships only role is to transport people. 

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited October 2017
    Erillion said:
    Talonsin said:

Lets be reasonable for a minute here, no one will be "earning" a thousand dollar ship in a month or two or three once the game launches. 

https://www.pcgamesn.com/elite-dangerous/elite-dangerous-the-life-of-a-space-billionaire

I wasn't aware that Elite's devs sold ships for a thousand dollars. Could you please link your source?
    Talonsin

Herase said:

From what I see looking at ships on the page, the ships only become as strong as the components you put in, which you will only be able to buy in-game, if my memory serves me well. 

Think warframe, you only  become stronger if you mod/fuse, increase mod capacity and alter the polarity of slots, the frame it'self isn't powerful.

I can understand the line of thinking because it's something many companies do and seem like the logical answer considering the costs, but it has to be taken into consideration that these ships aren't normal ships, they're more interactive and customizable than what you would get in most space games.

I don't think it's as black and white with big being better and small being crap because some big ships only role is to transport people. 

So the edge case that some large ships are just for transport somehow negates the huge edge of starting with a ship that will take others a year of play to purchase?

That seems like faulty logic.

Even saying that a purchased ship still has to be furnished in game is not valid because other folks would have to work a year for the ship and then still have to work more to furnish it.

Listen... I have 3 accounts and love Wing Commander as one of my all time greatest gaming experiences... Folks want to pledge $10,000... go for it.  But trying to argue that there isn't a huge advantage is just silly.

Thats why all I want is SQ42... watching the scene with Gary Oldman gave me a woody. There I don't care if someone else buys themselves a 6 months advantage.

DizismaOdeezee

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Vrika said:
    Erillion said:
    Talonsin said:

I wasn't aware that Elite's devs sold ships for a thousand dollars. Could you please link your source?
    Once the game has launched these so-called "thousand dollar" ships can be bought in game with in game money. Players like those mentioned in the Elite Dangerous article - those who figured out how the economy works in a game - will have billions of in game cash within a short amount of time. And can buy any ship they want. Multiple times. Including those "thousand dollar" ships. 

The same has happened in other space games (e.g. EVE) in similar fashion.

And will happen again in Star Citizen.

Have fun
    MrMelGibsonDizisma
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    Enough is enough!  I hope someday the game comes out for all of you who invested it.  Seriously.  If it doesn't come out it will be one of the biggest scandals ever! 
    Odeezee

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!