Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Grab a Steam Link for Just a Buck! - MMORPG.com News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited October 2017 in News & Features Discussion

Grab a Steam Link for Just a Buck! - MMORPG.com News

If you've been dying to play some of your favorite Steam games while enjoying the comfort of your couch, this is your big opportunity. The Steam link is only $1.00 if purchased in a bundle that includes ICEY, a side-scrolling action game. In total, the bundle is $8.69 + $8 shipping.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    I bit. Heckuva deal. :)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Got mine!
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Hmmm, no catch? I'm suspicious.
  • DeadlyDagDeadlyDag Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Now, if they could only deliver this to EU.
  • LuposDavalteLuposDavalte Member UncommonPosts: 91
    Cmon, you tempt us with this but it's not available in Australia. It just redirects you to the steam main page without any explanation.

Annoyed...
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059

DMKano said:

Forgrimm said:

Its not a good product.

I have it + steam controller - how often do I use it?

Never.

It just has too many issues - via wifi it is nearly useless, wired it works well with a handful of titles.

Most of the time , the input lag makes it unplayable, there are annoying no audio issues, or where it fails to connect for unexplained reasons when it worked previously.

Its buggy to the point where its simply too frustrating to use.

The other 3 people I know have had the exact same issues - none are using steam link anymore.

Its sadly a waste of $9 (1+ 8 for shipping)

Ouch, well that sucks. Thanks for the heads up.
  • metarealmetareal Member UncommonPosts: 32
    edited October 2017
    GF enjoy the Steamlink and she hated gaming before.
    What is truly amazing though is that bland looking, badly explained Steam controller (must check Youtube tutorials to get the best of PC and Console worlds).
    Like it so much that i bought 2 spare on sale. Maybe there's a v2 Steamlink on the horizon (I would like native apps like Netflix and Spotify).
    ToodlesMikeha
  • HowryHowry Member UncommonPosts: 116
    Works well for the Witcher 3. Other titles have been hit and miss.
  • RukushinRukushin Member UncommonPosts: 311
    I picked one up. For the price, even if it sucks I can eat the cost. 
    SBFordarjemourMikehamarganculos
  • VorpalChicken28VorpalChicken28 Member UncommonPosts: 348

dmbardal said:

Now, if they could only deliver this to EU.

I'm in the UK, still nominally part of the EU and I ordered one, only cost an extra £7 postage :)
    “Nevertheless, the human brain, which survives by hoping from one second to another, will always endeavor to put off the moment of truth. Moist” 
    ― Terry PratchettMaking Money
  • krulerkruler Member UncommonPosts: 589
    I'm In Australia just tried, I didn't even get a No, of piss off I just got a turned back and silent treatment bad enough Steam ignores my currency, now they blank me when I try and buy something. (press purchase and it dumps you straight back to store page)

DISCLAIMER.............Steam doesn't ignore the Australian Dollar as such, they just have a long standing argument with the Australian government, both wont budge on their positions so both get honorary "Wanker" badges.

• AreWeLiveAreWeLive Member UncommonPosts: 201
    I click the link but it just takes me to the store, guess this deal is not for Canada either =(
  • SoulseronSoulseron Member UncommonPosts: 1
    Maybe interesting for others in EU. I'm currently living in Norway and purchased it through my Steam account and shipped to Germany (6,89€ for shipping). So the offer is available for EU.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    It wouldn't surprise me seeing VR headsets hitting a similar deal next year.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited October 2017
    DMKano said:

Forgrimm said:

Its not a good product.

Never.

It just has too many issues - via wifi it is nearly useless, wired it works well with a handful of titles.

Most of the time , the input lag makes it unplayable, there are annoying no audio issues, or where it fails to connect for unexplained reasons when it worked previously.

The other 3 people I know have had the exact same issues - none are using steam link anymore.

Sounds just like my Nvidia K1.  Great with android games and games installed directly on the tablet but leaves a lot to be desired when streaming games directly from the pc.

I was just reading the mixed reviews.  Some people were complaining about shipping costs, how much are they?

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• kryntokkryntok Member UncommonPosts: 77

DMKano said:

Forgrimm said:

Its not a good product.

Never.

Your absolutely right, I used it for about a month off and on, with 400mps internet and a blackhawk router It barely worked literally 5 feet form my bedroom and never worked at all with my pc in the office. I wanted it to work SOOO bad, it just never did what it was supposed to, and I paid early $100 for it with a Controller.
  • zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

DMKano said:

Forgrimm said:

DMKano said:

Forgrimm said:

Its not a good product.

Never.

Ouch, well that sucks. Thanks for the heads up.

If it worked on all titles as advertised (60fps at 1080p) - heck Id use it in wired mode and pay $200+ for it.

I hope they have a 2.0 version that would support 4K and have the hardware that actually worked well, Id gladly pay a premium for that.

But something tells me - when it comes to gaming on a big screen - just plug in your PC into the TV - no input delay, no weird audio issues and it works on all the games

I hope for a 2.0 too with better Arm CPU with a lite steamOS build in and some apps support. I do have my own steam link works well so far.
  • WedlenWedlen Member UncommonPosts: 146
    Must be for Americans only. I am Canadian and i dont see it being available.
  • WedlenWedlen Member UncommonPosts: 146
    Pretty Pathetic of steam to offer it to US and EU and not Canada.... Wow. Wish i had to power to make all of Canada boycott steam
    Blacklabelcali
  • zacho56zacho56 Member UncommonPosts: 53
    Not available in Canada. Pffffttt. This is BSSSSSSS
  • HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    Just here to say, I use mine almost daily, have zero issues with the games I play on wifi. The box is about 15ft away from the router and PC. The PC is upstairs and the steam link is downstairs in the living room. Never had an input lag issue, playing all kinds of genres. Starting to think a lot of you have huge latency issues or your router is doing a terrible job of allocating traffic.
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • Milkado90Milkado90 Member CommonPosts: 3
    brought it in germany (EU) without a problem ... so ? they dont ship to every eu country i guess?
  • Milkado90Milkado90 Member CommonPosts: 3

Hashbrick said:

Just here to say, I use mine almost daily, have zero issues with the games I play on wifi. The box is about 15ft away from the router and PC. The PC is upstairs and the steam link is downstairs in the living room. Never had an input lag issue, playing all kinds of genres. Starting to think a lot of you have huge latency issues or your router is doing a terrible job of allocating traffic.

most people dont understand that they are not the only one using the network!

WIFI got Channels , and the Router only change the Channel Number if thee Channel itself has 30% networks left (like channel 1 has 12 slots but 10 networks are using channel 1 the router starts changing the channel)

People also dont realize that even a phone (3G and Especially 4G) CAN disturb the Signals!
    WIFI is not a strong signal! its not UV-Ray or Microwave or Gamma.

Especially if alot of Households are living next to each other (even in my area) i can find 30 networks with my Wifi can lead to WIFI disruptions.

@ALL WIFI NOOBS
    IT DOESNT MATTER WHAT KIND OF ROUTER YOU USE!
    if you CANT FIND THE PROBLEM yourself, ask a nerd!

It maybe the steamlink. It maybe a neighbours wifi, it maybe the ps4 controller or the tv controller

even a stupid device sending a signal CAN but not nessesarily disturb the signal flow that leads to problems.

For my part, never hat issues with steamlink
    so i may buy one. BUT ... can we put USB Keyboard and Mouse into the device?
    i dont like controllers that much