Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 released the best expansion I've played this year

TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
No expansion this year has come close to what Arenanet provided.

The best mounts I've ever seen in any game in any genre...they are like they are actually LIVING and part of the world. The animations are amazing

Beautiful desert scenery with massive zones.

Going back to HoT zones, the mounts provide so much more entertainment than even the glider did and makes playing HoT a lot more fun and less annoying.

And finally...amazing class design with the new class sub-types. My personal favorites being the Necro one, engineer and the ranger sub-types. A lot of them I noticed (especially necro) on support and group play, which while might not be good for soloing, a lot of the new sub-types are amazing for group-play. 

No expansion this year beat Arenanet in the expansion quality and content department. By far best expansion this year for an MMO.

Anyone else loving the new expansion? what are some of your favorite things? And do you have any dislikes so far?

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

d_20kallensAndemonEvilGeekMikeha

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

The best mounts I've ever seen in any game in any genre...
    Ugh, I "guess".

Glad you like it, really, I'm glad.

However, I was going to download it again and give it another try, yet when I saw the mounts I decide "no".

I don't want to ride a raptor. Seems pretty gimmicky but why would any character I play ride a lizard? They wouldn't. Oh I suppose I get that certain terrains might require different mounts but i seems they went out of their way to be outlandish.

And a giant bunny? that's a definite no.

The other mount seems like it's something out of Star Wars the Old republic except it's not a machine.

Now that I think of it, the griffin seems cool so I can definitely give you that. That seems pretty standard for a flying mount and less ridiculous.

Scorchien
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Sovrath said:

Ugh, I "guess".

However, I was going to download it again and give it another try, yet when I saw the mounts I decide "no".

I don't want to ride a raptor. Seems pretty gimmicky but why would any character I play ride a lizard? They wouldn't. Oh I suppose I get that certain terrains might require different mounts but i seems they went out of their way to be outlandish.

The other mount seems like it's something out of Star Wars the Old republic except it's not a machine.

Now that I think of it, the griffin seems cool so I can definitely give you that. That seems pretty standard for a flying mount and less ridiculous.

And just to add that are a total of 4 mounts ... is laughable ..

Now i realize that they will add more im certain to the cash shop ... but that also seems wrong ..
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited October 2017
    Scorchien said:
    Sovrath said:

Ugh, I "guess".

Now i realize that they will add more im certain to the cash shop ... but that also seems wrong ..
    Well, technically 5 cause of the falcon mount and I honestly doubt they'll add actual mounts to the cash shop since the mounts have an actual purpose for getting to certain areas in maps, but mount skins are almost guaranteed, which is honestly what most mounts are anyone in most games, a vanity item that ultimately does the same thing which is makes you go faster.
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Well, GW2 expansion does have its issues. But out of all the expansions for MMOs this year, I can't think of a higher quality one filled with so much content. Last big one I personally played was Legion. But, that was last year, so that doesn't count.

Did any of the other AA MMOs have a good expansion experience this year? I know EQ2 is coming out with an expansion, but they didn't even show it at their expo booth...which is a very bad sign for EQ2, EQ wasn't even at the SOE expo lol. So my hopes of EQ2 expansion being any good compared to the GW2 one is is near 0.

Any other big names releasing an expansion late this year or released one earlier this year? BDO sorta came out with a free expansion recently, but its only part 1 of 2 so it didn't release all the content. Can't think of much else as far as high quality content filled ones go.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited October 2017
    Sovrath said:

Ugh, I "guess".

GW2 has seemingly always erred towards the outlandish, though.  It's not really a gritty exprience by any stretch of the imagination.

I don't like that mounts perform specific travel roles, though I can understand how it fits into the game reference the already implemented travel features.  I would've preferred simply unlocking all travel methods on my preferred mount, but oh wells.
    Sovrath

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173
    Quick question though, how many other expansions were released this year for other games?  

I like the GW2 xpac, but ... I don't recall a ton of expansions releasing for other games.  It would be different I suppose if there were like.. a buncha them and maybe there were, but..  I dunno.. just throwing it out there for clarification. 
    Drengarth86

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    WOW - people are picky but then again this is GW2. Which is a game everybody trashes even if they have never played it. The new GH is pretty amazing really and so beautiful.

There is a reason for the different mount - they are designed for different types of travel. The Raptor can do canyon hopping, The bunny - jumping up cliffs. The gliding mount, for going over water and quicksand, Finally the jackal which is part sand - to teleport through sand ports and to blink. There are reasons for all and it is part of the story.

This is quite an immersive expansion and as was said, the maps are huge. You can fit 2-3 of the vanilla GW2 maps into one of these.

It was nice to go back to Vabbi and see everyone's favorite undead King, Palawa Joko. I think we will see more of him in the future.

Now if we can have another race to play, that would be icing on the cake.
    MrMelGibson

Albatroes said:
    Scorchien said:
    Sovrath said:

Ugh, I "guess".

Well, technically 5 cause of the falcon mount and I honestly doubt they'll add actual mounts to the cash shop since the mounts have an actual purpose for getting to certain areas in maps, but mount skins are almost guaranteed, which is honestly what most mounts are anyone in most games, a vanity item that ultimately does the same thing which is makes you go faster.
      I have no doubt they will add Mount Skins to thew cash shop , would be stupid of them not to .. People will buy them .. Im guessing before Xmas there are more added ... One will look like a Reindeer:)
    MrMelGibson
    edited October 2017
    botrytis said:
    WOW - people are picky but then again this is GW2. Which is a game everybody trashes even if they have never played it. The new GH is pretty amazing really and so beautiful.

There is a reason for the different mount - they are designed for different types of travel. The Raptor can do canyon hopping, The bunny - jumping up cliffs. The gliding mount, for going over water and quicksand, Finally the jackal which is part sand - to teleport through sand ports and to blink. There are reasons for all and it is part of the story.

This is quite an immersive expansion and as was said, the maps are huge. You can fit 2-3 of the vanilla GW2 maps into one of these.

It was nice to go back to Vabbi and see everyone's favorite undead King, Palawa Joko. I think we will see more of him in the future.

Now if we can have another race to play, that would be icing on the cake.
    Well, I've played the game, could go on and on about the good and the amazing, but my dislikes removed it from my hard drive.

Yeah, I get it, the mounts are designed for different types of travel and at some point I'd take our "Harvey"* and wonder where I've gone wrong.

Which is to the point of the original post, and my dislike. It looks pretty though and that's a GW2 strength.

*does anyone get that reference by the way? :/

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

ArenaNet announces new Holiday Glider ..............750 Gems

Reindeer royalty-free stock photo
    StellaBellaMrMelGibsonMadFrenchie
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,118
    Sovrath said:

Ugh, I "guess".

C'mon!

Is a fantasy game. What do you expect? I didn't saw you cry over .. Lineage 2 or Aion pets and mounts ( both .. companions in before : but pets!! )

Something out of SWTOR? Well .. Doesn't GW2 , has this wonderful race , which are all about .. technology?

All in all , you didn't cry about game play , which .. that's good I guess. But is bad you are crying over some fluffy yet very useful ...additions to the game.

You .. disappointed me :)

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

IceAge said:

I appreciate that but it's bigger than that.

And if you want to know, I don't play Aion because of the "Aion mounts and pets". I just don't go running to the forums and open my veins every time I quit a game. Though I'm more than happy to talk about it if the conversation takes me there.

And saying "it's a fantasy game" pretty much relegates the genre to being cheap when it can be so much more.

The race in GW2 that is "all about technology" doesn't seem to have anything to do with the manta ray mount as far as I can see.

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,118
    Sovrath said:
    IceAge said:

And if you want to know, I don't play Aion because of the "Aion mounts and pets". I just don't go running to the forums and open my veins every time I quit a game. Though I'm more than happy to talk about it if the conversation takes me there.

And saying "it's a fantasy game" pretty much relegates the genre to being cheap when it can be so much more.

The race in GW2 that is "all about technology" doesn't seem to have anything to do with the manta ray mount as far as I can see.
    Now, tell me one MMO ( not the so called MMO's ) , which is not doing something like this.

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Sovrath said:

Ugh, I "guess".

GW2 has seemingly always erred towards the outlandish, though.  It's not really a gritty exprience by any stretch of the imagination.

I don't like that mounts perform specific travel roles, though I can understand how it fits into the game reference the already implemented travel features.  I would've preferred simply unlocking all travel methods on my preferred mount, but oh wells.
    GW2 has been about complicating things lately.  Every expansion and a lot of the zones have their own currency and I get so many drops I don't even open them when I come across some.  

I was thinking they cold have done everything on one mount with tiers including underwater skills.
    MadFrenchie

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

edited October 2017
    IceAge said:
    Sovrath said:
    IceAge said:

Now, tell me one MMO ( not the so called MMO's ) , which is not doing something like this.

Something like what?

Mounts? Well, Black Desert has mounts, has a camel for the desert which makes sense.

It just seems so over the top. But as Mad Frenchi pointed out, GW2 has erred trended toward the side of the outlandish. Now, I never really saw that at the start except with the architecture but over time? sure, why not.

• KaniverKaniver Member UncommonPosts: 110
    Scorchien said:
     ArenaNet announces new Holiday Glider ..............750 Gems

Reindeer royalty-free stock photo
    I thought I was back in Vanguard!
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    I loved Morrowind, but I agree - this is the best expansion/DLC of the year.
    Arawulf

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Sure there are only 4 mounts..
    but they are full part of the progression system
    they are part of the game..
    and i love how they are a part of it.

this has become by far the best mmo for me
    playing really casuall these days
    i allways loved the combat
    there is atleast some challenge to it
    and the world feel
    and with the new expansions class and build diversity is huge

the stories have hugely improved
    Making the world lore quite immersive..

this is by far the best themepark mmo out there
    and the only ome that makes the whole world part of the endgame
    StoneRosesArawulf

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,865
    There is plenty of ignorance about mounts in this thread who clearly have not played the expansion. Mounts are much more like vehicles in that they have ALOT more put into them then more typical mounts. A single mount in GW2 took more programming effort then probably the entire mount system in WoW. They are very unlikely to ever add anything but skins to the game mount wise outside an expansion. They are a whole different move set. It is not just "move faster". The animations are also better than any other mounts in the industry. Mounts literally change the way you play the game. Each and every one of them. 
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    edited October 2017
    Sorvath, in case you didn't notice large MMO expansions have become a very rare sight.  If I quit games due to lore or mount types superficial crap, there would be no MMO's to play.  I find it hilarious that people pick at those throwing a bone to a seemingly dead genre.  I hate that the genre is in this state but being picky doesn't make sense to me.  If I loved single player game or whatever horsebleep they are producing these days I would maybe have room to be picky....but I like MMO's.

This expansion is great.  I liked the difficulty in HoT but the map design and nonsensical "meta" events were a pain in the ass.  Most of the solo difficulty is there with nice open world maps and limited meta events.
    StoneRosesAndemon
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    I'M glad the OP found his game. I can never go back to GW2. And i've never been big on mounts in mmo's unless they straight up fly.
    Andemon
  • StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,771
    Sovrath said:

Ugh, I "guess".

It's ok if you do not download. I understand many of us have certain expectations and I know the bar is really high for you. 

• Mounts are used for various purpose for execution, 2nd to style.
    • Fly mount is not your typical flying mount.
    • Actually all the mounts are not your typical standard MMO mounts. Please refer the "OMG it makes me dizzy and sick" that has been plague since introduced.

Granted I've never been a fan of the idea of mounts in this game, but whatever, I've learn to accept it. Though, my fun is probably your frustration.

You can download the game and try it out without a mount, but getting to certain area may be challenging, but do able.
    MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Sovrath said:
    IceAge said:
    Sovrath said:
    IceAge said:

Something like what?

Mounts? Well, Black Desert has mounts, has a camel for the desert which makes sense.

It just seems so over the top. But as Mad Frenchi pointed out, GW2 has erred trended toward the side of the outlandish. Now, I never really saw that at the start except with the architecture but over time? sure, why not.
    Hey!  I take offense to your strikethrough!  I chose that word very intentionally.  I see the outlandish as a mistake.  That's largely my personal preference, though. ;)

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,771
    Hariken said:
    I'M glad the OP found his game. I can never go back to GW2. And i've never been big on mounts in mmo's unless they straight up fly.
    Oh you mean like The Dragon Prophetsee... that's totally railed and linear game play, gear centric, generic, lack of any type of originality.

Mount concept great, the delivery didn't just miss the mark, it just never had one to begin with.
    MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173
    Sure there are only 4 mounts..
    but they are full part of the progression system
    they are part of the game..
    and i love how they are a part of it.

this has become by far the best mmo for me
    playing really casuall these days
    i allways loved the combat
    there is atleast some challenge to it
    and the world feel
    and with the new expansions class and build diversity is huge

the stories have hugely improved
    Making the world lore quite immersive..

this is by far the best themepark mmo out there
    and the only ome that makes the whole world part of the endgame
    Well, 5 mounts, but yeah I like how they add to the game.  I was kind of against the idea of mounts at first, but now I really love running around with my griffon. 
    StoneRoses