Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best kept mmorpg secret: Project Gorgon

FinvegaFinvega Member RarePosts: 260
Recently started playing this game (it's in alpha) and I am thoroughly enjoying myself. It has an old-school EQ feel to it, although very solo friendly. It is all skill based, so you can train up anything you want, and the list of trainable things is LONG. I am loving the quirky nature of the game... (one example: you are warned early in the game that Elve's are over-sexed, and some Elven NPC chatter might make you blush). 

You can train anything and everything as the game is all skill based, with no caps except getting max level. You can transform into any animal in the game, and level up the combat skill associated with that animal. You see lots of player's running around as a wolf or pig. I became a rabbit and leveled that line for a while... fighting as a rabbit was fun, but when you try to chat, the game scrambles some of your words... since your a rabbit and all).

You can easily switch between builds while out of combat, from mage to melee and back again. You get two active combat bars, so you can pick between the many combat skill lines which ones you want to fight with. Archer/Mage, Mage/Melee, Melee/Unarmed, etc, etc.

Player run vendors, and NPC vendors. NPC vendors have tasks, take gifts, reward with favor and lower sell rates. 

I am still new to this game, but I can see it has a lot going for it already, and while the community is not huge, it is friendly and helpful. There is a small dev team behind this game, and I think it is worth supporting. Just my opinion, but what the hey.

Comments

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    If you really like the everyone-does-everything model, you might want to try Ryzom.   Of course, when your group's tank is too busy self-healing to keep agro properly, you might learn the advantages of dedicated class roles in combat.  When last I tried PG, there was a bit too much emphasis on grinding for my tastes.  For instance, I learned the 'Harvest' skill too late, and got bored killing things that earned no XP just so I could skin them.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166
    Mendel said:
    If you really like the everyone-does-everything model, you might want to try Ryzom.   Of course, when your group's tank is too busy self-healing to keep agro properly, you might learn the advantages of dedicated class roles in combat.  When last I tried PG, there was a bit too much emphasis on grinding for my tastes.  For instance, I learned the 'Harvest' skill too late, and got bored killing things that earned no XP just so I could skin them.
    When everyone can do everything you don't need tanks.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Its been in beta for years, not really a secret to anyone who has gamed in MMOs at all......It's an OK game, but i dont see many lining up to pay for it.....Like DM says, the population isnt even very good and its free right now....
    Kyleran
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    I dunno, I keep waiting for it to launch so I can discern if there is "purpose" to the gameplay.

None that I've been able to identify yet.

So I wait.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    I tried it. And...

Graphics worse than EQ2, and EQ2 graphics are the worst for any modern high end MMO. However graphics don't matter too much...I still play Runescape, Ultima Online and older games...and I actually DO play EQ2 because it offers a LOT for a cheap price

The problem is...the world is tiny in Gorgon. Like...EQ2 has just so much more content, world to explore and things to collect, not to mention raids/dungeons. Gorgon is one of the smallest MMO worlds I ever played in, if not the smallest. And as an explorer, that saddens me

Okay so I can get past that...the problem is...lets compare it with BDO next

BDO is only a grind non-stop hardcore grinding...but BDO offers a lot of content (horse taming, house decorating, exploration, sea battles and sea exploration...plus the PvP stuff on top of that. I've been in guild wars and its amazing.

EQ2 just surpasses it by 1000% in content, no joke...EQ2 offers an immense amount of content

Gorgon is nothing, not worth playing. I wouldn't play it free, let alone pay for it. Its like playing a tiny MMO with barely anything to do...when there are TONS of other MMOs that offer vastly more content, better graphics (though this is minor to me) and vastly better gameplay

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    Most secrets aren't good things if you think about it . . . ;)
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Most secrets aren't good things if you think about it . . . ;)
    I feel like that was a subtle jab at Secret World