Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gaming Video Content (GVC) is a Viewing Juggernaut & Bigger Than You Believe - MMORPG.com News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited October 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageGaming Video Content (GVC) is a Viewing Juggernaut & Bigger Than You Believe - MMORPG.com News

SuperData Research has a new report, most of which we can view, that contains some really interesting factoids about Gaming Video Content, or GVC. It will probably come as no surprise that 665M people regularly watch GVC with 46% Female and 54% male viewership. In addition, the average income is around $58K per year. These folks, according to the report, are watching GVC rather than primetime television, a startling shift from past eras.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• KiwiHypeKiwiHype Member UncommonPosts: 233
    Love data! Lets start a kickstarter for $2500.....

Seriously though I am not surprised the numbers sway this way if our household is anything to go by. We have livestreams up the minute we're awake even when we watch something else because we have multiple screens. Admittedly Twitch also dominates our big screens though netflix/amazon compete nobly.

Data like this is great news for gaming!
  • moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

Kiwiflava said:

Seriously though I am not surprised the numbers sway this way if our household is anything to go by. We have livestreams up the minute we're awake even when we watch something else because we have multiple screens. Admittedly Twitch also dominates our big screens though netflix/amazon compete nobly.

But Twitch is Amazon? How does Amazon compete with Amazon?
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Excellent post by OP. Interesting to discuss in my view
    Kyleran

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    I certainly had no idea, in my household we do watch Netflix and Prime, but absolutely no gaming content.

I can't even imagine wanting to, just a different world it seems.

Heck, I get up in the morning...and go to work, I never fathom people who watched morning television either.
    Xingbaironginfomatz

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Kyleran said:
    I certainly had no idea, in my household we do watch Netflix and Prime, but absolutely no gaming content.

I can't even imagine wanting to, just a different world it seems.

Heck, I get up in the morning...and go to work, I never fathom people who watched morning television either.
    I think on average I watch more game play content then I do movies and TV and I have netflix, hulu, amazon.

It might also be weighed heavily toward specific game types although I am just speculating on that
    Toodles

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    Who has time to watch but not want to PLAY games? I will never understand people.
    SaltyDog79KyleraninfomatzKimo
  • SaltyDog79SaltyDog79 Member UncommonPosts: 119

Ikeda said:

Who has time to watch but not want to PLAY games? I will never understand people.

I agree, my best friend's son does this on a regular basis and it just baffles me.

Why not play the game instead?!
    Kyleran
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

saltyd said:

Ikeda said:

I agree, my best friend's son does this on a regular basis and it just baffles me.

I have to admit. I watch ALOT of gaming content. I think it's more for commentary than the actual gameplay. Although I do watch a lot of youtube channels that play really obscure games. There's one specific channel that finds games that absolutely nobody played, and they are just a trip to watch, or just old dos games, things I wouldn't normally play.
    [Deleted User]
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited October 2017
    Did they say how many people watch with a VR headset? Oh wait they kept getting those numbers wrong - despite being based on the responses of their representative panels, fed into "deep and meaningful" algorithms and then scaled to account for the global population.

Netflix numbers etc. go they are published - usually quarterly.

These GVC numbers are estimated - big difference. And the responses they get from a few panelists, fed into their "deep and meaningful" algorithms, adjusted for what they feel is "right" and then scaled up to account for the global population sometimes seem to give them the answers they - want is to strong a word but something that supports what they feel is the case.

It has been shown - many times - that its not that easy or accurate though. If it was then tens even hundreds of millions of VR headsets would have been sold by now. For it was happening. Superdata said so many times having asked their panelists whether they were going to buy ......
    So might be a big number - people I know prefer to play but I don't dismiss the concept out of hand - but I think we should be careful about making absolute comparisons between actual published numbers and guesses.
  • JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    edited October 2017

saltyd said:

Ikeda said:

While I do agree that its weird I often find myself watching twitch insted of playing. More now than a few years ago. At the beginning it was to watch games I didn't own, to see if I would like them, but eventually it just became entertaining. i found some streamers that i thought were funny or engaging. Its relaxing in a mindless way like tv, but I'm watching what interest me: games played by gamers.
    i dont wanna watch tv, where 98% of programming is nothing that interests me. i'd rather watch others like me playing the games i love.
    On top of that there is a mild interaction, with whom you're watching, which makes the experience a little personal. just social enough to feel company, without the stress of RL socializing. Its a weird, yet addicting, phenomenon. You feel like you are hanging out with the streamer, even if just as a random invisible lurker.you can choose the level of social engagement , or just sit back and live vicariously. perhaps that's all it is.....gaming vicariously though others. lol
    Post edited by Jakdstripper on
    Toodlessschrupp
  • FrammshammFrammshamm Member UncommonPosts: 322
    Not super surprising. I bill 80+ hours a week at work. I cut the cord a looong time ago. I have enough time each day to watch 45 minutes of something per night before I go to sleep. If GoT is not on, those 45 minutes go towards keeping up with League of Legends Worlds/LCS. No one I know at work actually watches "television".
  • FrammshammFrammshamm Member UncommonPosts: 322

On top of that there is a mild interaction with whom youare watching which makes the experience a little personal. just social enough to feel company, without the stress of RL socialiIng. Its a weird, yet addicting, phenomenon.

This actually makes me a little sick inside. "mild interaction" to avoid the "stress" of "socializing".

wow....just fucking wow.

On top of that there is a mild interaction with whom youare watching which makes the experience a little personal. just social enough to feel company, without the stress of RL socialiIng. Its a weird, yet addicting, phenomenon.

This actually makes me a little sick inside. "mild interaction" to avoid the "stress" of "socializing".

wow....just fucking wow.

lol, i totally understand how it sounds pretty crazy, but wait till you get a bit older and your social circle gets smaller as most people have very busy lives. its gets harder to find people you like that just want to hang out whne you have time to hang out..... its just gets harder to hang out period. it can also be awkward if you want to game socially when you are not a teenager anymore. things change when you grow older.
    [Deleted User]sschrupp
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

wow....just fucking wow.

lol, i totally understand how it sounds pretty crazy, but wait till you get a bit older and your social circle gets smaller as most people have very busy lives. its gets harder to find people you like that just want to hang out whne you have time to hang out..... its just gets harder to hang out period. it can also be awkward if you want to game socially when you are not a teenager anymore. things change when you grow older.
    Yep. Even then some people you meet online make you feel weird for being older. Last time I played CSGO some dude was talking shit to me because I sounded older (I'm not that old) and said I sounded like I probably had a beard and was in college and shouldn't be playing games anymore. It definitely made me feel old haha.
  • KiwiHypeKiwiHype Member UncommonPosts: 233

Kiwiflava said:

But Twitch is Amazon? How does Amazon compete with Amazon?

Different content not the company and really outside of a dozen shows we like live programs as well. Live content and commentary is very entertaining.
  • NitemareMMONitemareMMO Member UncommonPosts: 239
    Why do people watch football or basketball instead of playing it is a nearly identical question?

I'll admit I rarely if ever watch live streams but I do watch tons of gameplay videos. I probably watch more hours than I play. Granted those games are for the most part about some form of PvP. Watching a live stream of a guy playing singleplayer is absurd to me but hey to each his own.
    [Deleted User]
    I will watch a single player game only of its brand new, and only to see if its something I'd want to play. 95% of the time its either people that are really good at pvp, or team competitions.
    What really baffles me the IRL twitch channels....watch a guy eat....ok...
  • sschruppsschrupp Member UncommonPosts: 684

wow....just fucking wow.

If you are a social butterfly with 100s of friends that you hang out with every day in real life doesn't mean everyone is. There are a large number of people, especially among gamers, that find "real" social interaction to be difficult or even near impossible.

For instance, way more people than you realize are on the Autism spectrum. A person you know may seem completely "normal" to you and yet they may be on the spectrum. Many people on the Autism spectrum, even if just barely, find social interaction to be very awkward and difficult. They may avoid social situations, but still yearn to experience a social setting.

In cases like that, virtual socializing, especially when it's anonymous and they can type their thoughts, interacting with live Twitch and other feeds is perfect for them. They can still feel connected to other people without suffering major anxiety attacks, or getting depressed because of unfulfilling "real" interactions they might experience.

Even many "normal" people feel more comfortable being anonymous on the internet while interacting with other people. For instance, in the real world would you walk up to a stranger and right to their face say "You make me a little sick inside because you prefer to interact with people on the internet". Only a complete jerk would do something like that, and yet here you are on the internet saying it. Do you feel as if you're a complete jerk? Or are you just more comfortable being a complete jerk on the internet instead of in real life? Should we all feel just a little sick inside that you're not only like that but in being that way are also a hypocrite?

Maybe now you won't feel "a little sick inside" when you hear someone might be different from you.