Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Path of Fire Review - Welcome Back, Commander - Guild Wars 2 Review - MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000

Maelzrael said:

I NEVER do collections and since the Griffon I'm actually doing COLLECTIONS now. I just need to level huntsman to 400 and I can make my ascended rifle also. For me, if the expansion added a dungeon or two, or maybe some new pvp maps it'd be 10/10. However as it is I completely agree with your 9/10 score. For those who think Bill's review is off, I would say you haven't really given the game a chance. The new content isn't supposed to destroy all the old content either, it's supposed to add to it, and the mounts make the older content considerably more fun to be in also.

Now if I could just convince the devs and the wvw community that we NEED mounts in WvW. New wvw maps just for mounts or mounts balanced for just riding in wvw like gliding is.. idc.. and I don't care about the naysayers either. Let me ride into battle on my raptor dammit!

I never do collections and probably never will again but it was worth it.
    [Deleted User]Maelzrael

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Aeander said:

There just is zero reason to play this game if you like character building.

Is that why I have 15 alts?

I have ten and there are people who say they have a lot more on Reddit.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/6dsubb/how_many_alts_do_you_have/
    Maelzrael

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Still waiting for a bundle.  Is that available yet?
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125

Aeander said:

I've known a few people who make a few characters of the same class just with different builds and gear load outs for different content. I guess it's just easier to load another character than switch out the builds for them.
    MaelzraelOctagon7711
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    edited October 2017
    It was at launch already, $50 for HoT + PoF (the basegame is free).Tiller said:
    I've known a few people who make a few characters of the same class just with different builds and gear load outs for different content. I guess it's just easier to load another character than switch out the builds for them.
    Having a PvP and a PvE specced character of your favorite class is actually not that bad idea and you do get those level up tomes so it isn't like there is any actual work involved, particularly if you played a few years and have one of the level up to 50 scrolls from the last birthday gift.

Other people just enjoy leveling up. In my case I have an 80 of each class, 2 thieves and 2 rangers but I been playing since launch.
    [Deleted User]Octagon7711
  • psychosiz1psychosiz1 Member UncommonPosts: 200

Aeander said:

I have 10 as well.  I will openly admit this is one of the better games for me when it comes to leveling experience.  While I don't like all the classes(issue is me, not the class design), I still find a way to try as many aspects of each class as I can.  Ironically I do like some elements of classes I don't like.  As an example, I do not like playing thief as a class overall but I did enjoy leveling one using dual pistols.  The issue was I was really bad at the defensive elements of the thief.  
    Octagon7711
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    Getting a new gaming laptop in, in a little over a week. Still not sold on whether or not it's worth it. When I played before, the game felt like it ended after you got to level 80, because there was literally no point in doing PvE unless you were running fractals, and I'm not really into PvP. Itemization is pretty terrible in this game. I bought HoT, but played it for about an hour before I just stopped logging in (again). Maybe I'll finish the HoT stuff and then see how I feel about it.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Darksworm said:
    Getting a new gaming laptop in, in a little over a week. Still not sold on whether or not it's worth it. When I played before, the game felt like it ended after you got to level 80, because there was literally no point in doing PvE unless you were running fractals, and I'm not really into PvP. Itemization is pretty terrible in this game. I bought HoT, but played it for about an hour before I just stopped logging in (again). Maybe I'll finish the HoT stuff and then see how I feel about it.
    PoF is more focused on exploration and not so far as much on grinding mastery points (that might change after later updates but right now I have all masteries unlocked and still 14 points left without even bothering to unlock a bunch of more relatively easy ones).

You still want a full ascended gear set no matter if you run fractals or not though. The stats are just better then exoctic even if it takes some time to get a full set.
    Tiller said:

Aeander said:

That's one thing they need.  Template builder so we can switch elites, builds, and gear when out of combat.

Loke666 said:
    It was at launch already, $50 for HoT + PoF (the basegame is free).Tiller said:
    Having a PvP and a PvE specced character of your favorite class is actually not that bad idea and you do get those level up tomes so it isn't like there is any actual work involved, particularly if you played a few years and have one of the level up to 50 scrolls from the last birthday gift.

Other people just enjoy leveling up. In my case I have an 80 of each class, 2 thieves and 2 rangers but I been playing since launch.
    Interesting, same with me except I have two rangers and two engineers.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004
    Need more xp containers I mean mastery points since I got them all.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• MegapixelMegapixel Member UncommonPosts: 14
    I've visited mmorpg.com for several years now and I swear to the gods of the old and new, they (or maybe just Bill) loves GW2 more than life itself. How much is ArenaNet paying you guys to promote them like this? No other mmorpg site loves GW2 more than this one. It's kinda sickening knowing that a site that covers so many mmos spends most of its time talking about GW2. They should become a GW2 fanpage instead. You'd think with such a bold domain name they would be a bit less biased.
    AeanderNepheth
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,820
    Megapixel said:
    I've visited mmorpg.com for several years now and I swear to the gods of the old and new, they (or maybe just Bill) loves GW2 more than life itself. How much is ArenaNet paying you guys to promote them like this? No other mmorpg site loves GW2 more than this one. It's kinda sickening knowing that a site that covers so many mmos spends most of its time talking about GW2. They should become a GW2 fanpage instead. You'd think with such a bold domain name they would be a bit less biased.
    On the first page of topics, exactly 1 topic is about Guild Wars 2 and one other mentions Guild Wars 2. The second page has no Guild Wars 2 topic, and neither does the third. 

Something tells me that your own negative bias is blowing this out of proportion. 

There is a new expansion. Said expansion is phenomenal. It is worth talking about. It is being talked about. Mind-blowing, I know.
    Nepheth
  • Kane72Kane72 Member UncommonPosts: 211
    Once upon a time I played GW2 to level 50 character and for some reason, other stuff kicked in. I'm now interested in checking it out again and have bought the expansions and they come with a character boost.

Should I take a boost or go back to level 1 and play the game from the start, bearing in mind that I never saw past level 50?

If I start from scratch, how long should it take me to get back to level 50?

Thanks.
  • ShinamiShinami Member UncommonPosts: 825
    With all due respect,
    I found myself at a crossroads in choosing what my return MMO would be..

Would I return to FF XIV or Guild Wars 2?
    Both games I loved.

I had a small group at work who also wanted entry into an MMO and they counted on me to work out the numbers (Two Math Majors, Two Science Majors, Two Artists, One Law Major, One English Major....all of us Educators).

We wanted to enter a game that was good on our time, and our money as well. We each had decent machines to run both of them. When I calculated the numbers, we chose FF XIV over Guild Wars 2 for the following reasons:

1) A new group of players starting out in Guild Wars 2 will not be helped in mid-level dungeons. Most of the playerbase is in Path of Fire as well. Our group wanted to build up from Level 1 to Level 80, and we thought path of fire would be good.

2) We did not like the existence of the Max-Level Boost not because it does not get you into the latest action quickly, but because it sends a message that all the lower level content is irrelevant. In fact that was the argument we had "Why make a good game and spoil it to the new player through a max-level buff?" and "what happens when new players enter a new area dependent on advanced classes with a basic class?"

3) We absolutely hated that in doing research we found that we needed HoT in order to access one of the classes and we also needed it in order to access the initial Specializations. Some of them better than what Path of Fire has to offer.

4) The idea that we had to work on boosting our Bag (Inventory) Space from the start due to the large areas the expansions offered was not appetizing enough.

We were also looking for a game where we could play together without the downtime of having to earn in-game money to turn it into cash-shop currency for various functions.

I owned the full game and both Expansions (since I like Guild Wars) and the others went into the Free Game and they did not like the level of conversation that occurred in Lion's Arch and we absolutely hated the toxic nature and lack of support in the main forums of the game. It felt like uncivilized barbarians beating up each other over both; trivial and non-trivial matters. Not to mention the horrible class balance the game has.

5) We hated the idea that we had to hunt down mounts to traverse areas. We thought that was a double-edged sword. It not longer was about finding a mount for cosmetic purposes. It was pretty much "Gotta Catch 'Em All" Pokemon-style mount gathering along with that one Do-All/Epic-All Mount which defeats the purpose of having the others 90% of the time.

------------------------------------------------

We loved that when Stormblood was released that Square-Enix claimed that buying the latest expansion to the game gave full accessibility to that point. Buying Stormblood meant one could play all of Heavenward. ArenaNet could have learned from this as it would have cleared confusion.

We went through both sets of forums (FF XIV and GW2) along with the support that exists for the game and the guides:

Our decision in the end (due also to a gameplay weekend to play FF XIV for free as well):

We loved FF XIV to the fact we could play together in Light Parties and Full Parties. But we absolutely loved the class balance and the story. We didn't like the whole housing situation, but we loved that we had to work together to win the instances and that the level sync (while it made dungeons a bit easier), it also allowed dungeons to not become irrelevant.

Considering also that each of us makes between $50 - $200 an hour, we believed that if downtime did not give that to us that it was worthless and Guild Wars 2 simply does not do that. FF XIV allowed us to maximize our time together without having to deal with any downtime between the main game itself and having to farm.

There is also the fact that FF XIV has the NN Chat which helped us greatly (and myself returning) and the Linkshell system.

We paid more initial money for FF XIV and a Subscription, but we didn't have to deal with the typical BS found in F2P and B2P that translates to "You either PAY in TIME or you pay in Money" and we chose to pay in Money to have a better experience, and we have not regretted it or looked back..

We got to enjoy FF XIV without having to worry about having to EVER stop the game in order to grind/farm something, and we enjoy the MSQ (Main Story Quest).

Also, Path of Fire is only the second expansion to Guild Wars 2. Don't call it "The best Expansion for Guild Wars 2" when its only the second. You make it look like there are 5 - 10 expansions to the game....

In short...
    We chose FF XIV + Stormblood w/6 month sub...
    Over Guild Wars 2 Path of Fire... and all the hidden deception behind its advertisement campaign that turned us off... that even Youtube Videos expose.
    Nepheth