Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guy gets so annoyed at lazy Steam game that he clones it for free in 15min

13»

Comments

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Sovrath said:

When those vendors found out that they had glasses for the eclipse that weren't effective, I don't remember them attempting to sidestep the issue by claiming "well, it's not our place to curate offerings for any quality, no matter how basic."

Except Amazon didn't curate them. They most likely just offered refunds. Had they curated them they wouldn't be there. Amazon doesn't really curate as far as I can tell. They just say "you didn't get what you paid for? Here's your refund".

Steam also offers refunds.

I don't usually return games but I've received 3 refunds over all my time buying from Steam. Very easy.
    I wonder: did Amazon allow them to languish for months prior to taking action, and/or did they allow the vendor to simply rename the glasses and sell the same stock again?

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited October 2017
    Sovrath said:

When those vendors found out that they had glasses for the eclipse that weren't effective, I don't remember them attempting to sidestep the issue by claiming "well, it's not our place to curate offerings for any quality, no matter how basic."

Except Amazon didn't curate them. They most likely just offered refunds. Had they curated them they wouldn't be there. Amazon doesn't really curate as far as I can tell. They just say "you didn't get what you paid for? Here's your refund".

I don't usually return games but I've received 3 refunds over all my time buying from Steam. Very easy.
    I wonder: did Amazon allow them to languish for months prior to taking action, and/or did they allow the vendor to simply rename the glasses and sell the same stock again?
    good question, do you know the answer or just going on biased assumption?

also keep in mind that a bad game does not equal false advertising nor does it equal a scam. 

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

edited October 2017
    SEANMCAD said:
    Sovrath said:

also keep in mind that a bad game does not equal false advertising nor does it equal a scam. 
    I do.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pbs.org/newshour/amp/rundown/amazon-recalls-potentially-hazardous-solar-eclipse-glasses

Note that they weren't even confirmed, at that point, to be ineffective.  Amazon recalled and offered refunds on POTENTIALLY ineffective glasses because Amazon wasn't able to validate the effectiveness based upon the recommendations made by NASA.  But nice try, Sean.

The last part is just attempting to muddy the waters.  War Z is about the definition of a scam, having attempted to release 3 times, abandoning the first for a renamed release that didn't, in any way, make it clear that it was simply a relaunch of the same, previously abandoned title.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/infestation-survivor-stories-the-war-z

That's the 2nd release that doesn't mention it was simply a rehash of War Z on the steam page.

Now there's a third:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/555570/agecheck

At least that one mentions it was formerly War Z.  But it'd be hard to hide it, as the name is a dead giveaway.

edited October 2017
    SEANMCAD said:
    Sovrath said:

I do.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pbs.org/newshour/amp/rundown/amazon-recalls-potentially-hazardous-solar-eclipse-glasses

Note that they weren't even confirmed, at that point, to be ineffective.  Amazon recalled and offered refunds on POTENTIALLY ineffective glasses because Amazon wasn't able to validate the effectiveness based upon the recommendations made by NASA.  But nice try, Sean.

The last part is just attempting to muddy the waters.  War Z is about the definition of a scam, having attempted to release 3 times, abandoning the first for a renamed release that didn't, in any way, make it clear that it was simply a relaunch of the same, previously abandoned title.

That's the 2nd release that doesn't mention it was simply a rehash of War Z on the steam page.

Now there's a third:

At least that one mentions it was formerly War Z.  But it'd be hard to hide it, as the name is a dead giveaway.
    not even remotely close.

1. one example doesnt mean you know it never happens
    2. FACT: a bad game is NOT false advertising. I see COUNTLESS people posting examples of games as 'scams' when it fact they are not scams. These people are unable to understand that a bad game is not false advertising. They see the screenshots, watch the videos and the game is clearly shit. They call that false advertising. its not false advertising with the videos is literally of actual game play!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    3. People used to consider RUST (one of the best selling games on Steam) as scam. Why? because the developer was not stroking the communities dick every 3 days and instead when into hard core work for 6 months. Again, this is not a scam. its just not.
    4. the games that end up as real scams, actual scams. DO get removed from Steam fairly quickly (like within a few weeks)
    5. A gaming industry that THIRVES on making copies of themselves as the AAA market has been doing FOR DECADES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! is not evidence of a scam. OF COURSE! there are many games that look the same, there are many movies that look the same too.
    6. are you trying to suggest that there are not copy cat products on Amazon? I can find copy cat products at every grocery store in america!

That is the reality

it completely blows my mind that gamers are shocked by copy cat games...really? FUCKING FPS SHOOTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

edited October 2017
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Sovrath said:

I do.

Now there's a third:

not even remotely close.

1. one example doesnt mean you know it never happens
    2. FACT: a bad game is NOT false advertising. I see COUNTLESS people posting examples of games as 'scams' when it fact they are not scams. These people are unable to understand that a bad game is not false advertising. They see the screenshots, watch the videos and the game is clearly shit. They call that false advertising. its not false advertising with the videos is literally of actual game play!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    3. People used to consider RUST (one of the best selling games on Steam) as scam. Why? because the developer was not stroking the communities dick every 3 days and instead when into hard core work for 6 months. Again, this is not a scam. its just not.
    4. the games that end up as real scams, actual scams. DO get removed from Steam fairly quickly (like within a few weeks)
    5. A gaming industry that THIRVES on making copies of themselves as the AAA market has been doing FOR DECADES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! is not evidence of a scam. OF COURSE! there are many games that look the same, there are many movies that look the same too.

That is the reality

it completely blows my mind that gamers are shocked by copy cat games...really? FUCKING FPS SHOOTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    What?  It isn't a copy, it's the same damn game just renamed and relaunched.

This isn't the same as fucking Battlefield vs. Call of Duty, something that would have been obvious had you actually taken time to follow the links I provided instead of pulling..  Well, a SeanMCad.  But I guess the joke's on me for entertaining the idea that you wouldn't do just that, all things considered.
    YashaX

edited October 2017

This isn't the same as fucking Battlefield vs. Call of Duty, something that would have been obvious had you actually taken time to follow the links I provided instead of pulling..  Well, a SeanMCad.  But I guess the joke's on me for entertaining the idea that you wouldn't do just that, all things considered.
    again, Valve HAS removed games that are an actual full copy. 
    How do you know the game is a full copy? what because of one video?

also, yes....there are literally 100% copy cat products all over Amazon so whats your fucking point?

help me understand how a game that has in its description the words 'a remake' is more of a scam then buying a $60 copy of a remake edition of a AAA title (Witcher the Collectors edition)
    YashaX

SEANMCAD said:

also, yes....there are literally 100% copy cat products all over Amazon so whats your fucking point?

help me understand how a game that has in its description the words 'a remake' is more of a scam then buying a $60 copy of a remake edition of a AAA title (Witcher the Collectors edition)
    Holy shit, you really do skim others' posts for keywords you can try to focus on to make a red herring argument about on the regular, don't you?

/salute
    YashaX

SEANMCAD said:

Holy shit, you really do skim others' posts for keywords you can try to focus on to make a red herring argument about on the regular, don't you?

/salute
    you have to understand that the vast majority of people who complain about this issue post examples that are horseshit, so yeah I dont want to waste a lot of time on it.

Listen up: A game that CALLS ITSELF a 'REMAKE' is 1. not a scam and 2. not very different from what the AAA market does often and people fall over themselves to buy the exact same game but it being a different 'edition' 

so...why the special rules?
    YashaX

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    edited October 2017
    Sovrath said:

Those people who play a game that's clearly crap, feel deeply wronged and go rush to the forums so they can unload.  I'm sure it's just a small minority that's exceptionally loud but it brings down the community and paints that community is a rather pissy "forever wounded" light.

Should Steam curate better? Maybe. I would almost say full on yes (and "yes" you are very correct they want to make money and as much money as they can make) but in the end no one is forcing people to pay for this garbage. I mean, show me one of their crap games and I'm fairly certain 100 times out of 100 I"ll recognize it as a crap game. And move on no worse for the experience.

Agreed. There is no law against releasing crap games, and dev are also free to charge whatever they like. You don't have to buy it.

I can understand the outrage if we are talking about big pharma charging $300k for medicine that is needed to save your life. But video games?

And sure, steam is not doing a good job helping players to cut through the noise. But again, there are tons of PC games review sites. Don't tell me someone who know how to use steam cannot google or read metacritics.
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

/salute
    you have to understand that the vast majority of people who complain about this issue post examples that are horseshit, so yeah I dont want to waste a lot of time on it.

Listen up: A game that CALLS ITSELF a 'REMAKE' is 1. not a scam and 2. not very different from what the AAA market does often and people fall over themselves to buy the exact same game but it being a different 'edition' 

So, again, you admittedly read part of my post, ignoring the part that applies specifically to the point you're trying to make, and you expect anyone would read your own posts?

edited October 2017
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

/salute

So, again, you admittedly read part of my post, ignoring the part that applies specifically to the point you're trying to make, and you expect anyone would read your own posts?
    you have the option of not reading my posts, or for that matter replying to them

Here is the thing:
    - the vast majority of Walmart Products are EXACT clones of other products. in fact its likely that they come even from the same factory.

-The AAA market literally does 'remakes' of games all the time, game being nearly exactly the same but with maybe graphic update. Telling your uses 'this game is a remake' is not a scam.

So why the special rules?
    MadFrenchieYashaX

lol .. people are arguing whether others are ready whole or parts of their posts?

This is the internet. I read and response to whatever i like, just like what you do. That is pretty much the end of it.

But again, this is the internet, so i won't be surprised if we have more "discussions" about who should or should not read/respond to what part of whose posts. 
  • netglennetglen Member UncommonPosts: 116
    For me if the game's primary launch is on Steam, than it's to be avoided.
    netglen said:
    I am the exact opposite.
    I am completely burned out on the old stale so called AAA market

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    edited October 2017
    I only buy or own (since sometimes used humblebundle or whatever) games on Steam, GOG and once I've bought something on EA Origin but only once and it was for Ultima Online.

I'm glad the days of a bunch of box clutter are gone, and no damaged disks or ruined disks or missing disks or 100s of boxes all over. When I switched to steam, I literally threw all my old games away and re-bought them on GOG and Steam lol...ones that weren't on there are gone forever but oh well :P there wasnt many I couldn't rebuy so not a big deal and I'd probably never play them anyway. Never will I deal with a bunch of game box clutter again

And the great thing is...I never have to spend hours finding a single game disk, to find out its scratched and not usable...

...or worse....

Spending all day finding a stupid missing cd key to have to then giving up to find a cd generator online that usually had spyware or viruses attached lol

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

SEANMCAD said:
    netglen said:
    I am the exact opposite.

and i think either extreme is bull. If a game is good and you can easily find out on the web, it is stupid to decide whether to buy because of the distribution platform.
    SEANMCAD said:
    netglen said:
    I am the exact opposite.

and i think either extreme is bull. If a game is good and you can easily find out on the web, it is stupid to decide whether to buy because of the distribution platform.
    yup..

its just that for me I cant keep up with all the good games on steam as it is so I dont worry about it outside of steam i just move on

SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    netglen said:
    I am the exact opposite.

yup..

its just that for me I cant keep up with all the good games on steam as it is so I dont worry about it outside of steam i just move on

To be honest .. there are SO MANY good games. I have more good games in my library (steam, origin access, blizz battle net) than I can play. 

Not to mention Stranger Things season 2 is coming .. so that is another 10 (?) hours of my life.

This is a golden age for entertainment, including the forum pvp on this site. 
    edited October 2017
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    netglen said:
    I am the exact opposite.

yup..

To be honest .. there are SO MANY good games. I have more good games in my library (steam, origin access, blizz battle net) than I can play. 

Not to mention Stranger Things season 2 is coming .. so that is another 10 (?) hours of my life.

yup...

Check out Tin Star and Bloodline as well (Bloodline takes awhile to get to the better parts though)

I think Tin Star is Amazon

SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    netglen said:
    I am the exact opposite.

yup..

yup...

Check out Tin Star and Bloodline as well (Bloodline takes awhile to get to the better parts though)

wow. you play text games?

Personally, given there are SO many good games. I am very choosy. The game has to have:
    a) good gameplay (like moment to moment combat ...)
    b) good production values (i don't play text games, if i want text, i read novels)
    c) bells & whistles ...

The only thing i do not insist on .. is the amount of content .. because i can always consumer everything and move on. Like the new Dishonored 2 Death of the Outsider. Everything is great. I spent (by my steam page) 20 hours on it. That is plenty. High quality fun >>> long time.

Not that you cannot have both. I am sure I can keep having fun combat in warframe for years, or until i get sick of it and move on. I wonder how much repetition i can tolerate for a nice 3rd person shooter/action game like that. 
    edited October 2017
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    netglen said:
    I am the exact opposite.

yup..

yup...

wow. you play text games?

Personally, given there are SO many good games. I am very choosy. The game has to have:
    a) good gameplay (like moment to moment combat ...)
    b) good production values (i don't play text games, if i want text, i read novels)
    c) bells & whistles ...

The only thing i do not insist on .. is the amount of content .. because i can always consumer everything and move on. Like the new Dishonored 2 Death of the Outsider. Everything is great. I spent (by my steam page) 20 hours on it. That is plenty. High quality fun >>> long time.

Not that you cannot have both. I am sure I can keep having fun combat in warframe for years, or until i get sick of it and move on. I wonder how much repetition i can tolerate for a nice 3rd person shooter/action game like that. 
    text games? no I was giving you two new streaming shows that are good, what the F are you talking about 'text games'?

I dont know what to tell you other than I do not have time to wade thru all the non-steam bullshit crap out there just to find some good games when good games on steam are bleeding all over the place like crazy.

sorry but this might give you a clue,. I have 2 hours in GTA 5 and I dont have any of the Witcher games because they look lame to me but I do have 1000 hours in 7 days to die.

SEANMCAD said:

text games? no I was giving you two new streaming shows that are good, what the F are you talking about 'text games'?

lol .. i thought you were talking about steam games, and there IS one called Tin Star, which is a text game.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/375130/Tin_Star/

My mistake. I found the show. I will check that out (my wife has a Amazon prime membership).