So much potential...

GorweGorwe Ald'RuhnMember RarePosts: 4,240
I kinda miss this game. It's set in one and only Hyboria and was so flavorful. I liked my characters and the world they were in. The music, the graphics and the overall feel was nothing short of miraculous. BUT! The actual gameplay was VERY UNDERWHELMING. You couldn't just create your own character within the bounds of Lore. Why no Stygian DTs? Why Cimmerian DTs? Etc etc. Concerning de facto gameplay, it was too much quest grind oriented for my liking. It was much more of a Grind simulator 9000 than an actual game. But the actual worst thing? SO MUCH EMPTY WALKING! Look at say, Wildlands of Zelata. There so much walking to and from that it's...ugh!

Actual combat was fine. People touted it as a some new thing, but it wasn't actually. It was just your same old same old WoW combat, but now with extra presses(directional attacks!). In the case of actual ranged attackers, it was literally WoW. The best way I can describe it is it's like a more convoluted version of WoW's combat(as opposed to what should've been: unique or, at the very least, streamlined WoW).

And now we have one of those ghastly Survival craps infesting Hyboria. No hope for an actual RPG. No hope for me recreating my DT, my Guard etc and actually having fun. Because...latest crap fad...Survival games!

I miss Age of Conan even if it is realistically completely crap. Look, it's HYBORIA! ...

...please do what you did with Secret World Legends, perhaps? Please?
Tsiya

Comments

• DKLondDKLond AlbertslundMember RarePosts: 2,118
    At the time, it was the most promising MMO - and I expected a lot from it.

Still very sad about how they fucked it all up. Amazing in so many ways.
  • GorweGorwe Ald'RuhnMember RarePosts: 4,240
    DKLond said:

I didn't even expect that much. It was very nice, mostly in Vorthos way(excuse the MtG lingo). Meaning, artistic. In actual gameplay way it was average, perhaps even sub-average. There were some good ideas here and there, but that's mostly it.

But I agree, they fucked it up TOO MUCH.

Man, I miss a good Conan / Hyboria RPG...

(wonder if king Schtunk's still trolling)
  • DKLondDKLond AlbertslundMember RarePosts: 2,118
    Gorwe said:
    DKLond said:

I didn't even expect that much. It was very nice, mostly in Vorthos way(excuse the MtG lingo). Meaning, artistic. In actual gameplay way it was average, perhaps even sub-average. There were some good ideas here and there, but that's mostly it.

But I agree, they fucked it up TOO MUCH.

Man, I miss a good Conan / Hyboria RPG...

(wonder if king Schtunk's still trolling)
    I found the combat excellent - and the core gameplay quite strong for an MMO. In fact, I think the combat had the potential to rival WoW, if not quite.

But, to each his own.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 7,821
    This game was bad. 
    Mikeha said:
    This game was bad. 

As a game? Yes

As an experience? NO WAY!
    Tsiya
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 7,821
    Gorwe said:
    Mikeha said:
    This game was bad. 

As a game? Yes

As an experience? NO WAY!

I just remember the horrible combat and linear small zones.

It did have some good classes though. 
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member EpicPosts: 3,604
    edited October 19
    This game has an AA like system doesn't it? I've been really craving something that has an AA like system lately without having to deal with daybreak.
    Post edited by Albatroes on
    Albatroes said:
    This game has an AA like system doesn't it? I've been really craving something that has an AA like system lately without having to deal with daybreak.

Yes, it does.

But the game itself's kinda dead. Just be warned.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Twigwarren, WestfarthingMember RarePosts: 4,089
    edited October 19
    Maybe missed in the other thread where I answered to you why stygian DT is not really fitting into the lore, and cimmerian DT is an even bigger no-no (considering how much they hate/distrust anything magic).

I don't agree with the combat = wow part, but even with that analogy, ranged attacks are not wow, only the casters are wow :wink:

You don't need to miss AoC, it is still there luckily, all you need is to log in an play - unlike TSW, for example. That's why I was puzzled at
    Gorwe said:
    are you nuts? Seriously, how the f.ck would a gutted, dumbed down crap version do any good?

Luckily it won't happen, they've already tossed AoC aside and do the cash-grabbing in Exiles, so AoC is safe :wink:
    Albatroes said:
    Yep, there's AA, and I think now it's even available for the free players too (but not the timed version, just the xp side).
    And don't listen to Gorwe, game is not dead, just on maintenance :wink:  Crom is still pretty active.
    Post edited by Po_gg on
    Po_gg said:
    Maybe missed in the other thread where I answered to you why stygian DT is not really fitting into the lore, and cimmerian DT is an even bigger no-no (considering how much they hate/distrust anything magic).

I don't agree with the combat = wow part, but even with that analogy, ranged attacks are not wow, only the casters are wow :wink:

You don't need to miss AoC, it is still there luckily, all you need is to log in an play - unlike TSW, for example. That's why I was puzzled at
    Gorwe said:
    are you nuts? Seriously, how the f.ck would a gutted, dumbed down crap version do any good?

Luckily it won't happen, they've already tossed AoC aside and do the cash-grabbing in Exiles, so AoC is safe :wink:
    Albatroes said:
    Yep, there's AA, and I think now it's even available for the free players too (but not the timed version, just the xp side).
    And don't listen to Gorwe, game is not dead, just on maintenance :wink:  Crom is still pretty active.

I just want less walking and less quest grinding. Larger XP rewards etc. For the game to be modernized if you will. Not necessarily Legends style, but a remake or something's due.

Why is it not WoW like? Think about it...it actually is. I'll give you an example of Plasmatech rotation in SWTOR and of a short 3 part combo in AoC:

Plasma:

Ion Wave -> Plasmatise -> Inc.Round -> ShockStrike -> HIB -> Ion Pulse -> Ion Wave -> Inc.Round -> Plasma Flare -> Ion Pulse 2x -> ShockStrike -> HIB -> Ion Wave -> Repeat.

Number of clicks: 14

Assassin:

Slow Death Strike: Click skill + attack up + attack up left
    Grim Corruption: Click skill + attack up + attack up right
    Face Stab: Click skill
    Rapid Stabs(2x): Click skill + 2x attack up(x2)

Number of clicks: 10(with one RS), 13(with two RS)

It doesn't really differ, does it?

And it's all about clicks, nothing that different from WoW. You can even have unlimited skills on hotbars. It's not limited like ESO or completely different like TERA. And it's not particularly good either. Be as it may:

I prefer ranged classes in AoC(or very simple melee classes like Deft Stabber :D ) because ALL THOSE CLICKS! :O (they don't even feel rewarding imo)
    Po_gg said:

Gorwe said:

Albatroes said:

Sorry for double quote, but care to link / quote to that DT post? I fully understand both why Cimmerians should not be able to be a DT(distrust not only in magic, but in mass religion too) and why they should be(DT = Tank ; "Look at the brave Cimmerians taking a beating and still managing to win even though they ran into melee butt naked" ; you know?). This question is most fascinating. I still think they shouldn't be DTs.
  • someforumguysomeforumguy HomeMember UncommonPosts: 3,842
    edited October 19
    Age of Conan is just another typical Funcom game.

- Innovative ideas.
    - Great first impression ingame.
    - Way too early release, so that once you become higher level you notice how unfinished the game really is and poorly executed.
    - Very bad quality post release support and updates.

Tortage area and combat showed how great the game could be. But then they released it before it could become reality. Another half baked attempt from Funcom.

Next will be Conan Exiles.

Imagine this : Funcom ideas combined with Blizzard quality level of execution.
    Post edited by someforumguy on
    Tsiya
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member UncommonPosts: 471
    The game had monster system requirements on release, and the client was really buggy.  That pretty much killed it.  A lot of MMORPG players simply couldn't run the game (at a decent performance level), and many that could quit pretty quickly due to the problems.

The game needed more development time, and it needed to be a bit more open in terms of the systems it would run decently on.  It was basically the same set of issues the Vanguard: Saga of Heroes developers ran into.
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member UncommonPosts: 257
    edited October 23
    Po_gg said:

Gorwe said:

Albatroes said:
    Perhaps he simply wishes AoC to be reinvigorated, as SWL has done for the Secret World, by making the game more approachable through streamlining and better combat. For those that prefer TSW, it is still there luckily. All you need is to log in and play.

As to AoC being safe, Exiles has nothing to do with it, being a game of quite different genre. I don't know of all that much streamlining that could be done, though. The combat seemed to work well enough in AoC when I tried it. Perhaps other elements could be adjusted to broaden the appeal of the game. It has more in terms of competition than the Secret World does though, so they may feel it a more risky revamp.
    Post edited by KnightFalz on
  • TsiyaTsiya My chairMember UncommonPosts: 202
    I'd still play if they'd let me recover my account. Even with the cd key they persist in sending the password reset emails to an account I no longer have access to. Pack of idjits.

• PhryPhry OxfordshireMember EpicPosts: 8,991
    Tsiya said:
    I'd still play if they'd let me recover my account. Even with the cd key they persist in sending the password reset emails to an account I no longer have access to. Pack of idjits.
    Normally you can acquire your account back again by sending your full details in, this usually means sending in a photo of your passport and drivers licence etc. Have had to do that with SE to recover my FFXIV:ARR account, it might be a PITA but its the only way to prove who you are, just saying 'this used to be my email address, but now it isn't' is oddly enough, not proof of identity.
    edited October 23
    Po_gg said:

Gorwe said:

Albatroes said:
    Perhaps he simply wishes AoC to be reinvigorated, as SWL has done for the Secret World, by making the game more approachable through streamlining and better combat. For those that prefer TSW, it is still there luckily. All you need is to log in and play.

As to AoC being safe, Exiles has nothing to do with it, being a game of quite different genre. I don't know of all that much streamlining that could be done, though. The combat seemed to work well enough in AoC when I tried it. Perhaps other elements could be adjusted to broaden the appeal of the game. It has more in terms of competition than the Secret World does though, so they may feel it a more risky revamp.

Yes, the game should be adjusted elsewhere. After they eliminated the 4+ combos, I don't think it needs more streamlining in that aspect. What it needs is more focus on story(during leveling) and faster / more enjoyable leveling process. Currently it's a soulless grind and a horrible slog. I'm open for any suggestions. THAT's what should be adjusted, even if it means double or triple quest xp.
    Post edited by Gorwe on
  • Methos12Methos12 Maladis 46Member UncommonPosts: 1,241
    I'm just glad we can finally play the expansion without having to sub for the privilege.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
    Methos12 said:
    I'm just glad we can finally play the expansion without having to sub for the privilege.

Grindslayer? I mean, it is not much, but yeah...
  • DMKanoDMKano Gamercentral, AKMember LegendaryPosts: 16,976
    Sorry OP - you lost me at AoC combat being the same as WoW.

Pre-nerf AoC had the best melee combat period out of any MMORPG to date

Directional attacks and blocks were only half the story, animation canceling separated skilled player from the rest. There was plenty of depth in combat in AoC.

They made it simple and nerfed it to hell - so now it sucks
  • Po_ggPo_gg Twigwarren, WestfarthingMember RarePosts: 4,089
    edited October 23
    For those that prefer TSW, it is still there luckily. All you need is to log in and play.
    Kudos for the reversed quote :wink: Too bad it's not a match... I mean, technically it is, which was a surprise to me as well, I have to admit. I believed they've closed it already (after I sold my GM I've put the nice TSW memories on the shelf next to AA and the rest of my died games, archived everything and never looked back...), but just asked a buddy and he said it is still open, as a safety net against Funcom's fuck-ups :smiley:
    Seems they haven't closed it after the steamy launch since they funcomed the transfers, so at first extended it till September, then turned out they funcomed the FC point transfers too - I bet they couldn't thank Gaia enough that they haven't pulled the plug yet so they can give a second transfer.

But it's still dead, and thus not a fitting reply quote, since AoC is still active, while (according to my buddy who checked it on peak time) TSW is totally empty. Not a single player on any channels, on any zones (he said he was in for half an hour, and only seen one player they whole time). Maybe it's good that I moved on and not witness these final sad kicks and spasms on the noose...

As to AoC being safe, [...]
    AoC is indeed safe from a similar ill fate, since they really left it behind. They won't spend a single dime on the game anymore, so a zombified mutant version like Legends is out of the question, luckily.
    AoC will stay here in it's current form, without any changes, bugfixes, etc. till the day they close it. Which is a good thing, since AoC is a pretty good game as it is. Not as awesome as TSW was, but way above the average (which average was pulled down in the last couple years by cheap reheated korean imports :wink: ). Based on AO is in maintenance mode since more than a decade, I believe AoC will be here for some time...

DMKano said:
    Directional attacks and blocks were only half the story, animation canceling separated skilled player from the rest. 
    Actually, comboskipping separated the banned player from the rest :smiley:  (banned, if he was caught, and they had enough proof, that is)
    Post edited by Po_gg on
  • MendelMendel Marietta, GAMember RarePosts: 1,848
    Phry said:
    Tsiya said:
    Normally you can acquire your account back again by sending your full details in, this usually means sending in a photo of your passport and drivers licence etc. Have had to do that with SE to recover my FFXIV:ARR account, it might be a PITA but its the only way to prove who you are, just saying 'this used to be my email address, but now it isn't' is oddly enough, not proof of identity.
    There are numerous reasons why people change e-mail accounts.  There's no electronic equivalent of a 'change of address' form.  It's a problem not only for games, but for almost every electronic business.  I'm actually surprised that someone hasn't come up with a solution for this problem.  Probably several boatloads of money ready and willing to be made there.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• WizardryWizardry Ontario, CanadaMember EpicPosts: 13,113
    edited October 23
    "Grind simulator 9000" but it is not a GAME we are looking for,it is a world to support the feeling we are role playing in that Lore setting.
    The problem with 99% of these is that they look like a game,computer code and do nothing to immerse a player into the world.
    Even a simple genre like TCG,i am not satisfied with that,to me the genre can be made 200x better.
    However in the case of Conan here,i have no doubt what so ever that this was just a cash grab,Toss a genre out that is super easy to get started,takes little time and get some cash flow going.I have yet to see a single EA/KS game look like a team of employees is developing them,all i see is the results and it looks like 3-5 people most of the time to at times maintenance mode.
    Sort of like the way SOE was operating near the end,a few guys working on Planetside,then they hop over to Landmark for a few days ,then over to EQ1 then to EQ2 but never staying on one project and working on it.

Seeing how many copies Conan sold made my eyes bleed,so now Funcom knows what a sucker base they have,that's why they went ahead and SOLD a little bit of content that should of been added for free.YES people are suckers,back in th day devs had to beg us to play test their games,now a days they pretend to have contests and sweepstakes to win a chance...lmao ,a chance to test what,about 2 months of work?
    Post edited by Wizardry on

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.