Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Start Your Engines, PCers! BattleNet Updated for Preloading D2 - Destiny 2 - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited October 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageStart Your Engines, PCers! BattleNet Updated for Preloading D2 - Destiny 2 - MMORPG.com

Destiny 2 News - If you're a PC player and have been anxiously awaiting the release of Destiny 2, your time is nearly at hand. The BattleNet launcher has been updated so that you can preload the game starting today in preparation for the October 24th release date. The client weighs in at about 38Gb, but servers seem to be moving along at a good clip.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Hashcow101Hashcow101 Member UncommonPosts: 105

DMKano said:

I saw D2 - and for a tiny fraction of a second I thought - Blizzard is bringing Diablo 2 remaster to us!

That certainly would be better than this console port shit.
    Phixion13JakeSimjgDuffayandredocGorweAlomarMoonffang

"May Your Head Explode And Blood Swell From The Wound"
    - Hashcow

• Phixion13Phixion13 Member UncommonPosts: 190
    Glad consoles got to test it out. I'll wait for all the DLC's in a cheaper bundle next year and hopefully it will have a longer lifespan than a couple weeks of content and progression.
    AeanderPhryAlomarMoonffang
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited October 2017
    http://www.mmorpg.com/news/activision-granted-patent-that-pairs-players-to-increase-microtransaction-purchases-1000046029

I just thought it was relevant even though Activision guarantees it isn't being used in this title. We can trust them.
  • celtwulfceltwulf Member UncommonPosts: 61
    DMKano said:
    I saw D2 - and for a tiny fraction of a second I thought - Blizzard is bringing Diablo 2 remaster to us!

Same here. Got all excited for a split second then ultimately disappointed. 
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    I'll grab it at Christmas for $30
    AlexanderVendiAlomarMoonffang
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• derek39derek39 Member UncommonPosts: 265
    I was going to buy this day one. I did for PS4, But after playing it extensively. I have to say, Hold on to your $60.

You'll be paying for a game that has MUCH less content than the first, They removed almost everything they added to the series seemingly to sell it all back to us once again. I was hoping it was going to be a sequel that built upon what they learned from in the first game. I was so so wrong...It's literally a weaker game than vanilla Destiny 1...

Anyways that's my 2 cents. So unless you just HAVE TO HAVE it on PC, Don't give these assholes a dime until they come out with a roadmap saying where they're taking the game, at least. This sequel was extremely lazy for a studio and publisher as big as Bungie and Activision.
    laxieJeroKaneDragnelusPhryandredocAlomarMoonffang

Monster Hunter since '04!
    Currently playing: MHW & MHGU

• spidiispidii Member UncommonPosts: 143
    Save your money if you can bring down your hype. The game is certainly fun for a while, and as you level up and get into the endgame, it'll feel like you made a good choice but after about a week, you'll have nothing to do and 4v4 PvP just isn't exciting enough to keep PvPers interested. The raid is extremely easy too so maybe wait and see if you can catch it on sale or wait for an expansion. The game is worth about 30 at the moment I'd say. It is very pretty though.
    PhryAlomar
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    To me, this release was just a double dip approach. Its obvious that Activision wanted to tap into the PC community with Destiny after seeing how well it did with consoles but they also wanted to make extra money instead of just releasing destiny 1 to pc. So they come up with "Destiny 2" to potentially hit the same (if not more sale numbers on console) while also tapping into the new market of PC with minimal investment. From a PC gamer perspective this is completely fine since they didn't get the first one anyway, so all the talk about it being like or less or whatever in comparison to the first falls on deaf ears (even if people have both a console and pc because FPS are just objectively better on PC). I mean, they aren't getting any actual money out of me since I just bought it via blizzard balance since I didn't have anything else to get until Diablo 2 remastered I guess and a lot of WoW players are probably in the same boat that already pre-ordered. Its sad but unfortunately knowing the actual truth to what they are doing wont change the result due to the factors I mentioned.
  • LurchUSALurchUSA Member UncommonPosts: 97
    Video Skinner Box 2.0, ready for deployment.

Soon you'll be conditioned to clicking those loot box "buy now" buttons, before you know it!
  • winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 737
    A mistake for a month of waiting and people posting their reviews before putting it on PC. Now a lot of people including me are nowhere near the purchase button.
    PhryNitemareMMOAlomar
  • DeadSpockDeadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 403

DMKano said:

LurchUSA said:

Video Skinner Box 2.0, ready for deployment.

Soon you'll be conditioned to clicking those loot box "buy now" buttons, before you know it!

I cant think of a single MMO that doesnt utilze skinner box progression loot reward mechanisms in some way.

Why? Thats what masses enjoy the most

I don't know any of my gamer friends that buys so saying masses makes no sense maybe some.
    Bloodaxes
  • Keldor837Keldor837 Member UncommonPosts: 263
    I honestly feel bad for console players and non-WoW players who are pitching in the full price tag for this. I never got to play the first one due to being exclusively a PC gamer. But I've watched enough streamers and youtube videos to see that the game has less on offer now than it did when Destiny 1 launched. That is, in terms of content (not mechanics and balance which seem better executed). So as others have pointed out. It seems like a stripped, refined, and repackaged version of the original. Which sucks for console players and non-WoW players who have to ditch their time and money investment from the original. Just to buy the new repackaged product. While, as a casual WoW player. I was able to buy the game with accumulated gold while playing with friends. I have a few hundred dollars in blizz currency from how many WoW tokens I bought during the WoD expansion for 24k gold each (now over 160k each). It took me a total of six hours game time to accumulate the gold needed to buy the tokens that amounted to the cost of Destiny 2. So even if the game is a stripped, repackaged product. I get to experience it for the first time and it cost me no additional money that I didn't already have invested in another game.

Win - win for me. Shame for all the rest that couldn't take advantage of it.
    Phry
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    edited October 2017

DMKano said:

That certainly would be better than this console port shit.
    Literally EVERYBODY is saying this isn't a shitty console port, critics and consumers alike and I agree. You must have some special information. Or a special opinion...

Game runs like a beast and controls like a dream, can't wait to play.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    [Deleted User]MoonffangPsYcHoGBR
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• XophXoph Member UncommonPosts: 176
    I never played the first one because I'm a PC gamer but I'm going to be trying out Destiny 2. I mean.. it looks fun and that's what games are for. I think some people expect way too much from games these days, man.
    ConstantineMerus[Deleted User]Moonffang
  • AalamrAalamr Member UncommonPosts: 98
    I too am going to have to pass. I bought into the hype and got it day 1 on ps4. Played it for about five hours and havent touched it since. To me it felt much more like an expansion than an acctual sequel.
  • winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 737

xDarkjoy said:

I never played the first one because I'm a PC gamer but I'm going to be trying out Destiny 2. I mean.. it looks fun and that's what games are for. I think some people expect way too much from games these days, man.

You didn't play destiny 1. It also looked fun. We are all guilty of our expectations. I hope you find what you are after mate
  • DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    A polished game with great core gameplay. That said, it's pretty shallow overall - and not something I expect to play all that much.
    AlomarMoonffang
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    sorry, but if you are a pc gamer, the chances are low you are anxiously awaiting d2 :P

no matter how good it looks, in it's base, it's just a console port. and we have seen all that before =(
    Moonffang

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Thane said:
    sorry, but if you are a pc gamer, the chances are low you are anxiously awaiting d2 :P

no matter how good it looks, in it's base, it's just a console port. and we have seen all that before =(
    Like Skyrim, right? Or Bioshock? Dark Souls perhaps? We all know how those turned out, stupid "console ports."

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

[Deleted User]Moonffang
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503

Was hyped till beta
    PhryAlomarMoonffang

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Looks like they are going to release the game piecemeal again, just as they did with Destiny 1, think i'll wait until after a few DLC's are released to 'bulk up' the games content before buying it myself. Destiny 2 currently isn't good VFM, its definitely a wait before buying situation. :/
    Moonffang
  • ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    D2! oh wait... :(
  • HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993

DKLond said:

A polished game with great core gameplay. That said, it's pretty shallow overall - and not something I expect to play all that much.

That's how I feel. The core is great, but I they've done the same thing they did with D1 with shallow content just so it can be sold as DLC later and this was confirmed after seeing the console version.

Many have said they built D1 up to where it was meant to be by the last DLC then stripped it all out again and shunned those that stuck with them in D2.
    Herase said:

DKLond said:

That's how I feel. The core is great, but I they've done the same thing they did with D1 with shallow content just so it can be sold as DLC later and this was confirmed after seeing the console version.

Many have said they built D1 up to where it was meant to be by the last DLC then stripped it all out again and shunned those that stuck with them in D2.
    To be honest, I felt D1 was shallow even with all the DLC.

The hype before release was absolutely massive - and the game itself was severely underwhelming to me, especially in terms of the singleplayer campaign.

D2 looks better - but not that much.

It could be a fantastic game with 2-3 times the content - but, as you say, that's not in the cards.

I tend to tire of the core gameplay in most games way before the first expansion or significant DLC - so I don't expect to play this beyond the initial release.

Then again, there are so many great games coming out these days that I don't really mind.

But it's definitely sad that Activision can't go beyond thinking like a fat suit chewing endlessly on a cigar instead of serving the consumer - on occasion.
    Gorwe said:

DMKano said:

Would've been awesome, no?

Also, why is Destiny on the Battle Net launcher? Why exactly? It's not a Blizz game, the last I checked...
    Have you ever heard about Activision? ;)