Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you could spend a week at any time in world history where and when would you go?

CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
 It would be tough for me. 

I'd have to decide between these top 3 places:

1) Rome at the height of the Roman Empire 
2) In Egypt at the time of the pharoahs 
3) Islamic Spain in the 1000's. 

I'd probably choose number 1. I am sure everything is romanticized and if we were to go back in time, we'd think everyone probably lives in squalor. 

But would interesting though. 

Sincerely, 

Cryomatrix

p.s. HBO has already made a show called Rome (which was excellent but short) and Vikings is excellent. Now they just need a high quality production show about the pharoah. 
Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 

Comments

• EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    edited October 2017
    While you would see things that would be enlightening if you were to go back any decent chunk of time nobody can tell me what color a dinosaur is or what it looks like with flesh (at least un-mummified flesh) on it's bones.

So I would go back to some point during the age of dinosaurs as long as I got a camera and a military grade vehicle like the marauder. If it can survive C4 it can probably survive a T-Rex
    reybear
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    I'd go before there was humans, but for different reasons than Eldurian said.

As much as I like the roman/Renaissance and reading about the past...even the colonial times.

More likely I'd be hung for being a "warlock" (blasphemy) or die from all kinds of diseases due to poor health care, or killed because I don't sound like the "locals" (think racism is bad now? Seen nothing yet once you go to the past lol) or get made into a slave to build the pyramids or all kinds of crap. 

I'd rather go before there was humans...an earth untainted by pollution and trash, filled with life and forests and wilderness...though I wouldn't be too fond of getting mauled by dinosaurs. 

I'd more likely skip the offer of going to the past if given the choice and go to the future instead and take my chances there lol. The future could either be freakin amazing...

either humans solved their issues and become a space exploration species and aliens all over, Mass Effect style...or maybe no aliens but still colonizing the stars

humans get killed off either by a series of natural disasters (yellowstone and a couple other super volcanoes are currently active), and I travel into the future in a completely different earth, but far better than now

Sorta related to last one, but humans get killed off by 99%, but have recovered and its SORTA back to what its like today but with massive differences

or...

I travel to the far future, humans did too much damage to earth, or the too many natural disasters happened even without human influence and earth is permanently dead and I end up screwed lol

Either way, I'd more want to travel to the future than the past.
    Cryomatrix

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    Actually I take it back. If I could go anywhere in history I would go to the Library of Alexandria with a generator, a scanner, something to store the data in.
    reybearmark.ova
  • dougha1dougha1 Member UncommonPosts: 152
    edited October 2017
    Eldurian said:
    Actually I take it back. If I could go anywhere in history I would go to the Library of Alexandria with a generator, a scanner, something to store the data in.

I like this idea best of all, of what has been posted so far.

Any smartphone phone would do this. Bring several spare already-charged batteries and formatted empty SD cards. Not the best quality but legible, portable and no cumbersome setup. One would be concerned with content rather than full graphics quality.  And easily concealed from librarians of that time.
    This forum is broken. It is time to move to proboards, because they're broken.
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    I'd go before there was humans, but for different reasons than Eldurian said.

As much as I like the roman/Renaissance and reading about the past...even the colonial times.

More likely I'd be hung for being a "warlock" (blasphemy) or die from all kinds of diseases due to poor health care, or killed because I don't sound like the "locals" (think racism is bad now? Seen nothing yet once you go to the past lol) or get made into a slave to build the pyramids or all kinds of crap. 

I'd rather go before there was humans...an earth untainted by pollution and trash, filled with life and forests and wilderness...though I wouldn't be too fond of getting mauled by dinosaurs. 

I'd more likely skip the offer of going to the past if given the choice and go to the future instead and take my chances there lol. The future could either be freakin amazing...

either humans solved their issues and become a space exploration species and aliens all over, Mass Effect style...or maybe no aliens but still colonizing the stars

humans get killed off either by a series of natural disasters (yellowstone and a couple other super volcanoes are currently active), and I travel into the future in a completely different earth, but far better than now

Sorta related to last one, but humans get killed off by 99%, but have recovered and its SORTA back to what its like today but with massive differences

or...

I travel to the far future, humans did too much damage to earth, or the too many natural disasters happened even without human influence and earth is permanently dead and I end up screwed lol

Either way, I'd more want to travel to the future than the past.

I agree with you on this. The future would be awesome to go to. I'd actually go in the future 500 years from now or better yet, i'd have fun going back in time and bringing people to our time. 

Cryomatrix
    reybear
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • AUNE2018AUNE2018 Member UncommonPosts: 27
    edited October 2017
    Any time before November 2016....or 3 years from now. :-/ But in all seriousness, I'd want to see early hominids...and mammoths.
    reybear
  • mark.ovamark.ova Member CommonPosts: 8
    1. Japan during the Sengoku Period.
    2. Egypt during the time of Cleopatra
    3. Italy during the Renaissance.

Problem though, people don't speak English those times.  So there would be a communication barrier. :#