I hate you EA

RhoklawRhoklaw Ft. Bliss, TXMember EpicPosts: 5,233
Just when we needed a new Star Wars game in our lives, you go and shut down Visceral Games? :neutral:

GdemamiMtibbs1989

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Houston, TXMember EpicPosts: 16,098
    is it to early to suggest making a move to more indie titles?

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• DMKanoDMKano Gamercentral, AKMember LegendaryPosts: 16,976
    Rhoklaw said:
    Just when we needed a new Star Wars game in our lives, you go and shut down Visceral Games? :neutral:

I certainly dont need anything Star Wars in my life.

I am a minority here but I am really tired of Star Wars, I think its just old and tired and played out.

SWG was good before NGE and thats it. I enjoy the memory and have moved on.

For some reason people are holding the entire star wars franchise on this sacred pedestal, when IMO there were 2 good movies at best and the rest were mediocre to poop.

So chances are EA saw that the game was a stinker too and pulled the plug.
    KyleranConstantineMerusCoatedDagon13YashaXAeliousysn888anemoPanther2103pantaroand 1 other.
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Figueira da FozMember EpicPosts: 4,407
    DMKano said:
    That's not the criteria really, the word is: profitable.

Even though good games if they don't justify the money they require to create in their eyes, they won't happen. Why you think the mainstream publishers run away from MMO's xD
  • frostymugfrostymug Galveston, TXMember UncommonPosts: 347
    They just pulled the game from Visceral and put it under EA Canada. Isn't dead, just redirected. If it was as much a linear story game as reported then it is probably best for the game.

Studio shutting down sucks though.
    Sovrath
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member EpicPosts: 18,152
    And this was your first reason to dislike EA?  I've been avoiding them for over 20 years now.
    NildenKayo83rojoArcueidlaxie
  • IselinIselin Vancouver, BCMember LegendaryPosts: 10,198
    DMKano said:
    Rhoklaw said:

I am a minority here but I am really tired of Star Wars, I think its just old and tired and played out.

For some reason people are holding the entire star wars franchise on this sacred pedestal, when IMO there were 2 good movies at best and the rest were mediocre to poop.

Who let the damn trekkie in here?
    MadFrenchieOctagon7711laseritConstantineMerusMrMelGibsonScotKyleranHatefullimmodiumSovrathand 2 others.
    You say you never compromise
    With the mystery tramp, but now you realize
    He's not selling any alibis
    As you stare into the vacuum of his eyes
    And say "Do you want to make a deal?"
  • cowheadcowhead St. Johns, NFMember UncommonPosts: 84
    Iselin said:
    DMKano said:
    Rhoklaw said:

I don't know but I have to agree with him.
    Kyleranpantaro
  • jitter77jitter77 Greensburg, PAMember UncommonPosts: 198
    For one thing I think it depends on if you experienced star wars when it first came out.  The movie was way ahead of its time as far as effects and what not.  Even if you watch the original now the effects still hold up pretty well especially considering the movie was made in the late 70s.  Also Darth Vader was a pretty bad ass bad guy, luke was a good hero, and leia was hot and a bad ass her self.  Also for me Return of the Jedi was the first movie I ever saw in the theater and my eyes were bugging out of my head.  The battle over the pit, speeder bikes in the forest, etc etc was mind blowing to me back then especially on the big screen.  To me Star Wars in general is not just a movie it is an experience. 
    I will say that I did not enjoy the first 2 prequels what so ever.  The CGI was god awful in the phantom menace and attack of the clones.  Also they kinda ruined Yoda for me with his frog on crack light saber battle.  Revenge of the Sith was the best of the prequels, but I thought the acting was a bit shaky.  The Force Awakens was basically a clone of "A New Hope" which isnt totally bad because I understand what they were trying to do, but I thought it could have been better.  I actually liked Rogue One better than TFA. 
    As for games I never got to play galaxies due to no or bad internet.  I have played most of the rest and liked KOTOR I and II and the Jedi academy games.  I played SWTOR only because I felt like I HAD to.  I hated the beta but bought the game anyways because it was Star Wars.  I also bought Battlefront after hating the Beta because it was Star Wars.  I did enjoy the Battlefront II beta more, but I am still on the edge.  I would much prefer a Witcher, Horizon Zero Dawn, or, Uncharted type Star Wars Game than a crappy MMO.  I am hoping that is the way EA is leaning with the new game. 

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Chicago, ILMember EpicPosts: 6,001
    Aren't the EA Canada guys the ones from Bioware who first worked on KotOR?

"Change is the only constant."

• SedrynTyrosSedrynTyros USMember EpicPosts: 1,936
    EA is the worst publisher in the history of gaming.  Mass Effect 2 is the last game I will purchase from them, ever.

The best policy we can have as a gaming community is to never buy their games.  Let the sports hookers support them.  EA can buy up all the sports properties they want, but doom their RPG properties to fail by not buying them and they will eventually stop engulfing those developers and ruining them.  It's the only way to stop it.
    jmcdermottukGdemami
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member RarePosts: 1,054
    edited October 19
    EA is the worst publisher in the history of gaming.  Mass Effect 2 is the last game I will purchase from them, ever.

The best policy we can have as a gaming community is to never buy their games.  Let the sports hookers support them.  EA can buy up all the sports properties they want, but doom their RPG properties to fail by not buying them and they will eventually stop engulfing those developers and ruining them.  It's the only way to stop it.
    People have been suggesting this for decades but telling addicts to not buy drugs rarely works.

They will continue to go on their brutal destructive rampage of the gaming genre and there's not a damn thing anyone can do about it.

I was just thinking today about how much I want to play a Warhammer Moba and then remembered that I already did but EA killed it along with another moba I loved - Dawngate.

Would not be surprised if they closed Visceral games to recreate their game into multiplayer with loyalist devs and add tons of RMT to release after the $ from BF2 starts to slow down.
    Post edited by BruceYee on
    Gdemami
  • IselinIselin Vancouver, BCMember LegendaryPosts: 10,198
    Aren't the EA Canada guys the ones from Bioware who first worked on KotOR?
    That's Edmonton and I'm not really sure how much of the original Bioware still exists.

The biggest EA studio in Canada is in Greater Vancouver (Burnaby to be exact) but that's the EA Sports folks.
    You say you never compromise
    With the mystery tramp, but now you realize
    He's not selling any alibis
    As you stare into the vacuum of his eyes
    And say "Do you want to make a deal?"
  • AeliousAelious OregonMember RarePosts: 3,481
    DMKano said:
    Rhoklaw said:

It was the realization that the next title would feature Kylo Ren...

Also, as a fan of SW since a little kid (had the original 'Empire' sleeping bag) the tipping point for me was the NAE, New Advertisement Experience. BB-8 on a bag of tangerines... This and the bland last couple of movies, anything SW is meh.
  • ScotScot UKMember RarePosts: 6,522
    edited October 19
    SW is one of the few SF titles out there that is not wholly bound to the dystopian future default setting of nearly every SF film, TV series and book we have today. The middle three films 4-6, did not even bother with the oppressive governments and or corporations that it seems we must now have in any fiction set in the future.

But you can have too much of a good thing. SF is a far wider genre that deserves more great titles, not just repeating the same old ones.

Oh and if you too are fed up of watching something with yet another dystopian future allow me to recommend Star Trek Discovery. :D

Post edited by Scot on

25 Agrees

You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy? :P

• DKLondDKLond AlbertslundMember RarePosts: 2,118
    edited October 19
    I could never tire of well done Star Wars, though I don't think it's as much SF as fantasy. A unique hybrid with a ton of potential due to how open and rich the universe is.

That said, bad Star Wars has been the norm for a very, very long time.

But I'd kill for a decent KotOR sequel - or a proper SW MMO. I don't personally care for KotOR 2 - and I think Avellone missed the point with his dark and serious take on it.

It's romantic fantasy - and it should stay that way.
    Post edited by DKLond on
  • Loke666Loke666 KalmarMember EpicPosts: 20,910
    MaxBacon said:
    That's not the criteria really, the word is: profitable.

Even though good games if they don't justify the money they require to create in their eyes, they won't happen. Why you think the mainstream publishers run away from MMO's xD
    Good games tend to earn money though so good and profitable tend to go hand in hand.

The reson Western mainstream publishers avoid MMOs have more to do with long development cycles, huge investment and the total lack of new good ideas.

A successful MMO makes far less money for each invested dollar compared to for instance a TGC game and MMOs have reached a point where you just can't copy other games anymore either, companies like EA prefer to just copy someone elses work instead of doing something new.

EA want a game that is fast to make, require little work or investment and sells well, like a new SIMS game for instance or a sport game you just need to update players and add a few mechanics. As much profit as possible for as little work as possible.

Making something new and innovative is risky and expensive. Still, one would think a Star wars game would sell well no matter what...
  • KyleranKyleran Paradise City, FLMember LegendaryPosts: 26,669
    cowhead said:
    Iselin said:
    DMKano said:
    Rhoklaw said:

I also agree, saw the original film in the theatres back in '76, I am soooo tired of this IP, and I absolutely do not want to see any more Deathstars getting blown up.

;)
    MrMelGibson

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

On hiatus from EVE Online since Dec 2016 - CCP continues to wander aimlessly

In my day MMORPG's were so hard we fought our way through dungeons in the snow, uphill both ways.

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™
    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• gervaise1gervaise1 .Member EpicPosts: 4,429
    EA used to be a collection of studios; EA today have moved to - mostly - become a global company with offices in various countries that use an in-house process and engine. So this announcement is not as significant as it used to be.

As for EA in general today - they have changed. If we don't acknowledge when companies change bad companies won't bother and good companies will say what the heck.

And under their current CEO they are "customer focused". Bug ridden games that you struggle to install with crap customer support are a thing of the past.  

Now whether the games they produce are ones I want to play - well that's a personal thing. If they produce one I am interested in I will though.
    MrMelGibson
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus LondonMember RarePosts: 1,282
    Kyleran said:
    cowhead said:
    Iselin said:
    DMKano said:
    Rhoklaw said:

I also agree, saw the original film in the theatres back in '76, I am soooo tired of this IP, and I absolutely do not want to see any more Deathstars getting blown up.

;)
    Never liked any of the movies. Whole thing is a parody to Japanese movies--although that's where Lucas got his idea originally. There are creative elements at the core, but the execution is just horrible. 
    Have you ever noticed that their stuff is shit and your shit is stuff?
    oh I thought this was another Early Access rant thread..sorry
    lahnmir

• MargraveMargrave Member UncommonPosts: 941
    EA is the game industry devil.
  • lahnmirlahnmir UtrechtMember RarePosts: 925
    edited October 19
    SEANMCAD said:
    Is it too early for you to recommend Indie titles now?

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Post edited by lahnmir on
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

• nariusseldonnariusseldon santa clara, CAMember RarePosts: 27,395
    Lol .. a video game company is not important enough for me to hate it.

It is a free world. They can make any games that want to, and I can decide whether to buy or not.

And it is silly to believe that a large company with so many products has no good games. Titanfall 2 is a good game. Going back earlier, the first Dead Space is a good game. 

I am not going to skip good (to me) games just because they are made by EA. 
    Gdemami
    lahnmir said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Is it too early for you to recommend Indie titles now?

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    more than likely yeah...still too early.