Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Activision Granted Patent that Pairs Players to Increase Microtransaction Purchases - General News

1235»

Comments

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    Just goes to show how addicted people are to these games. If I am getting owned by a player due to gear I just quit the game. If everyone had this mentality, then we wouldn't be dealing with this garbage.
    Gdemami
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Golelorn said:
    Just goes to show how addicted people are to these games. If I am getting owned by a player due to gear I just quit the game. If everyone had this mentality, then we wouldn't be dealing with this garbage.
    You didn't think this through much, did you?
    CrazKanukpostlarval
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    CrazKanuk said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Kyleran said:
    Scot said:
    I posted in the last couple of days again reminding gamers that this process of raking in as much as possible never stops, a day or so pass and the latest iteration of that process is here.

Gamers need to understand there will be no end to this direction until boycott and or legal action stop it.
    Unfortunately the number who become self aware are vastly less than those who will continue to purchase and I don't see this changing anytime soon.

This will change when US gun laws change. Hell's not seeming so frosty, so don't hold your breath. 
    Which is precisely why regulatory entities become involved in these sort of situations in the best interest of the general public at large, even if the public at large isn't aware of the very obvious need for such regulation.

I'm sure there were some folks espousing the same "personal responsibility" regarding the conditions in the meat packing industry prior to "The Jungle" being released.  Doesn't change the fact that regulating this industry was the right thing to do even before a muckraker forcefully brought the issue to the forefront of society.

Here's the problem though, and it's the same with guns. You give the responsibility of regulating an industry to the government..... who is in office due to deep-pocket lobbyists. So, in the end, the regulations that get put into place end up, MAYBE, solving a large over-arching issue that is perceived, but the reality is that these companies can't even go TO the extreme that these regulations are restricting because they would ultimately suffer such catastrophic damages to their bottom line from consumer pushback that it isn't worth implementing. Look at this Activision patent. It's not even 24 hours passed and they've already issued a PR statement to distance themselves from this idea, indicating that this has not been implemented into any game and was a study undertaken by a third party (ie "aka didn't do it"). Are they collecting metrics from games right now? I'd be surprised if they weren't. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they had machine learning built in that actively tells them circumstances in which someone might make a purchase. Whether they ACTUALLY create that environment is another story. 

I don't really like the "personal responsibility" angle, but at the same time I would rather NOT have the government regulating my life. Also, I feel like this regulation is lauded as "protecting the children and vulnerable", but the reality is that it's about "I want that and I think it sucks that he can buy it and I refuse to buy it." 

Whatever the case, again, if you can't come up with a handful of things that are significantly more important for your government to regulate or fix, then let me know what country you live in because I'm moving! 
    There's nothing that says the government would have to ignore other issues to get involved here.

And reference gun control, there's ample evidence that it's both effective and hasn't destroyed the gun industry.  That's a whole other can of worms, anyways, with a more much profound effect on public well-being.

The idea that the government can't focus on more than one or two things at a time is only supported by folks who aren't really paying attention to their governments in the first place, but are limited to what the media decides to report on, instead.
    Gdemami

• Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292
    Torval said:
    I'm not sure I believe that they have not at least experimented with this in production. This is an extremely predatory approach, especially going so far as to patent it, and they have every reason to wordsmith their way out and not be entirely forthcoming. I can't say they're lying because I have no proof, but I can say that my trust level is zero so I personally don't care if what they say is true or not. Even if they haven't done this yet, they could at any moment, without any notice because it's out there.

There is a reasonable counterargument that if I've been enjoying the experience so far what does it matter? Nothing has actually changed. And that is all true, except it doesn't make this slightly disgusting feeling of disappointment go away.
    This leads to an interesting idea. If someone were to take practices that they consider undesirable, and then patent them, they could, in theory prevent the industry from doing them.
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    Torval said:
    I'm not sure I believe that they have not at least experimented with this in production. This is an extremely predatory approach, especially going so far as to patent it, and they have every reason to wordsmith their way out and not be entirely forthcoming. I can't say they're lying because I have no proof, but I can say that my trust level is zero so I personally don't care if what they say is true or not. Even if they haven't done this yet, they could at any moment, without any notice because it's out there.

There is a reasonable counterargument that if I've been enjoying the experience so far what does it matter? Nothing has actually changed. And that is all true, except it doesn't make this slightly disgusting feeling of disappointment go away.
    This leads to an interesting idea. If someone were to take practices that they consider undesirable, and then patent them, they could, in theory prevent the industry from doing them.
    Yes but even if another company did a similar thing and they decided to lawsuit wouldn't they have to prove how their system is working within the code given Lootbox has always been a thing in many online games for years, or would they be legally allowed to just lawsuit if players are matched with other people who have cash shop items, or make a company reveal its source code or anything like that?
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Torval said:

"Predatory" could be argued, I think. It's no more predatory than, say, Amazon serving me ads of the baseball backpack that's been sitting in my shopping cart for like the past 2 weeks. Yes, Amazon, I'll buy it! When I do, I'm sure it'll be onto the next thing I "like". Google is no different, either. 

I'm not going to comment on whether it's right or wrong, but I will say it's..... a rabbit hole. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Torval said:

Maybe *if* you patented every single way of accomplishing the practice, remember you can't patent the practice itself.

Profits and Growth are everything to these Corps and their Stockholders, fuck ethics. Far more likely they would license the technology and receive a small royalty for each and every sale. 

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

hmmm, you'd have to be a very philanthropic millionaire.

It costs thousands of dollars for just one patent (and it's a huge range) and then you have fees every few years.
    [Deleted User]
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Torval said:

Activision's explanation is quite laughable.

I've signed many a non-disclosure agreement, designed for and problem solved for many an invention.

When a customer pays for my services, any solution my company comes up with is the sole property of the customer. They payed me for the research and development.  Activision payed a 3rd party to design a process for for them, to which they then patented. 
    [Deleted User]

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    is it still to early to suggest indie titles instead?

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    I'm going to quit gaming if they keep this up.

Not even joking.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Because i know that you all love Activision...I'll just leave this here...
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
      I love ATVI , its a real conundrum for me , as i hate this type of thing in games and avoid games that include it .. Or any uneven playing field ..

But ATVI is one of the reasons im retired at 53 , whenever i see this type of thing and it bothers the hell out of me , the direction games have taken .  But, one look at my stock-portfolio gives me a very warm happy feeling:)
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Scorchien said:
      I love ATVI , its a real conundrum for me , as i hate this type of thing in games and avoid games that include it .. Or any uneven playing field ..

But ATVI is one of the reasons im retired at 53 , whenever i see this type of thing and it bothers the hell out of me , the direction games have taken .  But, one look at my stock-portfolio gives me a very warm happy feeling:)
    Yeah, if you take emotional connection out of all of this, its great business tactic, especially if the patent gets filed to implement speedy transactions while showcasing someone's gear through kill cams etc. Unfortunately, most of us cannot separate from the emotion ties (myself included) because there are a lot of memories/experiences connected to some of these franchises/companies. And because of that, most companies can and will exploit it.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    I recall discussions years ago how (supposedly) Blizzard spent a fortune on the psychology of addiction.
    I recall discussions years ago how (supposedly) Blizzard spent a fortune on the psychology of addiction.
    interesting because my understanding of addiction is that it cant be manufactured. One has to have had serious trauma in their life of which they are trying to escape from. Then again, this is fairly new knowledge in the sciences so maybe it was awhile back that they did that
    Gdemamimystik13

• mystik13mystik13 Member UncommonPosts: 145
    SEANMCAD said:

interesting because my understanding of addiction is that it cant be manufactured. One has to have had serious trauma in their life of which they are trying to escape from. Then again, this is fairly new knowledge in the sciences so maybe it was awhile back that they did that
    Sorry but you are dead wrong.  An example of gentic predisposition toward addiction are the children of alcoholics. 

Addiction can be manufactured there are studies where rats are made to develop drug addictions to study their brain chemistry and behaviour.

There may be a correlation between trauma and addiction but that doesn't mean it's a causal relationship.
    edited November 2017
    mystik13 said:
    SEANMCAD said:

Sorry but you are dead wrong.  An example of gentic predisposition toward addiction are the children of alcoholics. 

Addiction can be manufactured there are studies where rats are made to develop drug addictions to study their brain chemistry and behaviour.

There may be a correlation between trauma and addiction but that doesn't mean it's a causal relationship.
    nope. I know for a FACT that your understanding of addiction is incorrect.

has the science community ever told anyone what magical gene this is? you know they have the genome right? they know specifically which genes monitor your lifespan yet they have never told you what this addiction gene is?

its not genetic. its based on trama and anything that is pleasurable can become addictive to those who are trying to avoid the memmories, its not genetic.

Gdemami

SEANMCAD said:
    mystik13 said:
    SEANMCAD said:

has the science community ever told anyone what magical gene this is? you know they have the genome right? they know specifically which genes monitor your lifespan yet they have never told you what this addiction gene is?

its not genetic. its based on trama and anything that is pleasurable can become addictive to those who are trying to avoid the memmories, its not genetic.

Those rats are dealing with some serious trauma, for sure.

edited November 2017
    SEANMCAD said:
    mystik13 said:
    SEANMCAD said:

what is the gene? and what rat study are you refering to? the thing about genetics claim is that you need to know what gene it is.

SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    mystik13 said:
    SEANMCAD said:

what is the gene? and what rat study are you refering to? the thing about genetics claim is that you need to know what gene it is.
    Traumas are not necessary to induce addiction.  My post was a tongue-in-cheek response to your assertion that a true trauma is needed for addiction.  That's not true, but trauma certainly can be the trigger for addiction.  However, any situation that places a person in a continually stressful or depressing environment can lead to addiction.  Generally, a person working a stressful job wouldn't qualify as "traumatized."

No one gene governs addiction susceptibility, there are multiple genetic factors that can influence one's susceptibility.

Like almost everything regarding psychology of humans, it's a complex web of interconnected issues that work together to create an undesirable result.

SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    mystik13 said:
    SEANMCAD said:

Traumas are not necessary to induce addiction.  My post was a tongue-in-cheek response to your assertion that a true trauma is needed for addiction.  That's not true, but trauma certainly can be the trigger for addiction.  However, any situation that places a person in a continually stressful or depressing environment can lead to addiction.  Generally, a person working a stressful job wouldn't qualify as "traumatized."

No one gene governs addiction susceptibility, there are multiple genetic factors that can influence one's susceptibility.

Like almost everything regarding psychology of humans, it's a complex web of interconnected issues that work together to create an undesirable result.
    yes I would agree with that on the point that addiction itself is a sliding scale.

what they have found however is that most people in serious treatment for addiction have been tramatized in their past.

there are two myths 1. is that a substance or action is addictive, that is not accurate a person seeking pleasure to escape to the point of danger to themselves is the source, the pleasure can come from many sources and 2. that its genetic. if its genetic we would have to know the gene for that to be known as factual