Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Activision Granted Patent that Pairs Players to Increase Microtransaction Purchases - General News

Comments

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Kyleran said:

Why does it matter if a game has microtransactions or not? Is the game good? Then why punish yourself from playing a good game? I play Destiny 2 on console and its amazing and a ton of fun...I'm not gonna self harm myself by not playing it just because of some loot boxes or whatever. I'm gonna buy Star Wars Battlefront 2, because I love star wars and its looking to be another great game.

Too many people rage against microtransactions and DLC...and the vast majority of time they'd have no effect on the persons game.

Oh well, I hope those people leave the gaming genre so people who actually LIKE games can enjoy games without a bunch of whiners complaining about them.

And wasn't there a pro-microtransaction article just recently praising loot boxes and microtransactions? It was for battlefront 2 lol

http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/468796/star-wars-battlefront-ii-or-how-i-learned-to-stop-worrying-and-the-love-the-loot-box-michael-bitt#latest

Just like that article on this site, I learned to stop worrying about things like this and just enjoying the game itself. Now I have far more fun in all kinds of games.

Well, that certainly is one approach to life, learning to ignore when others are manipulating you.

Just not one I prefer as it in large part is how things got this way in the first place. Remember when all of this cash shop / microtransaction stuff started people cautioned against the "slippery slope?" We're almost at the bottom of the hill now. ;)
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    Gdemami
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    In my case this will backfire. You pair me with someone who does well with a bought item it is sayonara game for me.
    Chamber of Chains
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    I posted in the last couple of days again reminding gamers that this process of raking in as much as possible never stops, a day or so pass and the latest iteration of that process is here.

Gamers need to understand there will be no end to this direction until boycott and or legal action stop it.
    Gdemami
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Scot said:
    I posted in the last couple of days again reminding gamers that this process of raking in as much as possible never stops, a day or so pass and the latest iteration of that process is here.

Gamers need to understand there will be no end to this direction until boycott and or legal action stop it.
    Unfortunately the number who become self aware are vastly less than those who will continue to purchase and I don't see this changing anytime soon.
    Gdemami

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    MaxBacon said:
    They have teams of psychiatrists understanding your behavior, your mind, they need to get inside of your head. That's when you get the reaaalz profits.

People spend too much time shaming Indie games and devs... O.o
    That's the reason the whole "personal responsibility" thing is, many times, applied in a misguided manner these days.  These companies have the resources to utilize such psychology to affect your perception of products and their worth.

You look up things like the reason marijuana was ever made illegal in the first place, and you realize that marketing has a much more profound effect on the public perception than you first believed possible.  You look up things like why we have to shove aluminum under our armpits on a daily basis, and you learn you're not immune no matter how savvy you may think you are about the tricks of marketing.
    I work on it, but on the game industry is interesting to see how the hate is flowing so hard towards Indie devs, literally gives big companies a pass, there are massive brilliant tactics even on player outrages that always mitigate any profit loss (if not even increase it), even if everyone is pissed off, they'll still pay up.

It's becoming so much about low-effort money, and as the Indie scenario seems to be nearing a cliff, worries what's in stock for us in the future.
    GdemamiMadFrenchie
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    As one who has been literally YELLING at you people for years about this ... let's explore how you all got to this point in history:

Scot

You stay sassy!

• Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,335
    edited October 2017

gervaise1 said:

SBFord said:

You know, it's one thing that we "understand" we're being manipulated by microtransactions, but it's a whole 'nother ballgame when we see it so blatantly placed before our eyes in cold black and white. 

Hopefully, this will turn the tide. I wonder what, if any, impact recent legal maneuvers overseas with regard to loot chest odds and so forth will have on this which obviously wasn't present in 2015?

Of course, we also have to be careful in assuming they'll actually use the patented process. It's possible that things have progressed beyond its capabilities over 2 years after filing.

The impact of overseas - as in not US - actions are "mainly" around how games are marketed to "younger" players.

Now as is pointed out you its "impossible" to enforce this but it does influence how a game can be marketed, what sites can be used to advertise the game on etc. - which they can control.  Same deal for 3rd party retailers as well. And one thing that games need to thrive is publicity.

And potentially there could be legal issues:   

Prosecution: you should have stopped minors playing etc. etc.
    Defence: impossible, we had no way of knowing.
    Prosecution: you should have ensured you didn't pair an adult (with high disposable income!) with a minor (no disposable income of their own).
    Defence: impossible we had no way of knowing who was playing.
    Prosecution: Yes you said. You knew and accepted that there might be minors playing and went ahead anyway with promoting your loot crates. Prosecution rests. 

Government Response: If you have no way of verifying the age of your customers, you may not offer any services or transactions that may include a minor.
    Gdemami

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    Kyleran said:
    Scot said:

Unfortunately the number who become self aware are vastly less than those who will continue to purchase and I don't see this changing anytime soon.

I agree, I think it will be at least another ten years before the market sees proper regulation. Gaming companies can afford to do a lot of lobbying to reassure government that no regulation is needed.
    Gdemami
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    the patent office fails again on a subject that is completely NOT patentable.  Time to clean out that rats nest in the patent office and put people in there that actually know what is patentable!!!!

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Dagon13 said:

Gdemami said:

DMKano said:

It won't change anything - because people have become completely numb and even if they get alarmed - what do people do? Make some angry posts on social media - and in a few days - zero action and back to normal, and all is forgotten.

It seems that we've become a fatalist and apathetic society - completely unwilling to do anything beyond our immediate self-serving interest.

...yep, once people do not share your view, they must be completely numb, fatalist and apathetic.

Sound logic. But hey, common sense is treated as offense on these boards...

I notice you LOL'd everyone that posted negative feelings towards this information. Pot, meet Kettle.

I wonder what implications something like this could have on match/party finder mechanics. Intentionally match people with whales in an attempt to advertise? How about charging a premium just to have someone OP in the party?
    Gdemami is the bar on these forums for knowing when you're logic and reasoning is sound.  Whenever you get an LOL, you know you're on the right track.

When you get an Agree, you know you need to reconsider your entire position on the subject.
    He gave me an Agree once, I tried to return it but he refused :'(  

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    JamesGoblinMadFrenchieSBFordKyleranScot
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014

Wizardry said:

I will first copy/paste,i hope people can see the problem before i spell it out.

[UPDATE] In a statement, Activision confirmed that this patent was only "exploratory," and such a system has not been used in any games.

"This was an exploratory patent filed in 2015 by an R&D team working independently from our game studios. It has not been implemented in-game," a spokesperson for Activision said.

Additionally, Bungie community manager David "Deej" Dague confirmed on Twitter, "None of this functionality appears in Destiny."

Keywords....working independently.

So how does an independent research and development team file for a patent on behalf of Activision,while Activision is claiming they are not of the same entity?

Because it's "patent inventorship"
    ConstantineMerus
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    lahnmir said:
    Dagon13 said:

Gdemami said:

DMKano said:

It won't change anything - because people have become completely numb and even if they get alarmed - what do people do? Make some angry posts on social media - and in a few days - zero action and back to normal, and all is forgotten.

It seems that we've become a fatalist and apathetic society - completely unwilling to do anything beyond our immediate self-serving interest.

...yep, once people do not share your view, they must be completely numb, fatalist and apathetic.

Sound logic. But hey, common sense is treated as offense on these boards...

I notice you LOL'd everyone that posted negative feelings towards this information. Pot, meet Kettle.

I wonder what implications something like this could have on match/party finder mechanics. Intentionally match people with whales in an attempt to advertise? How about charging a premium just to have someone OP in the party?
    Gdemami is the bar on these forums for knowing when you're logic and reasoning is sound.  Whenever you get an LOL, you know you're on the right track.

When you get an Agree, you know you need to reconsider your entire position on the subject.
    He gave me an Agree once, I tried to return it but he refused :'(  

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    You now carry the mark, you are tainted, now a black sheep. Be gone! Get away from us!! 
    MadFrenchieScot
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000

gervaise1 said:

SBFord said:

You know, it's one thing that we "understand" we're being manipulated by microtransactions, but it's a whole 'nother ballgame when we see it so blatantly placed before our eyes in cold black and white. 

Hopefully, this will turn the tide. I wonder what, if any, impact recent legal maneuvers overseas with regard to loot chest odds and so forth will have on this which obviously wasn't present in 2015?

Of course, we also have to be careful in assuming they'll actually use the patented process. It's possible that things have progressed beyond its capabilities over 2 years after filing.

The impact of overseas - as in not US - actions are "mainly" around how games are marketed to "younger" players.

Now as is pointed out you its "impossible" to enforce this but it does influence how a game can be marketed, what sites can be used to advertise the game on etc. - which they can control.  Same deal for 3rd party retailers as well. And one thing that games need to thrive is publicity.

Prosecution: you should have ensured you didn't pair an adult (with high disposable income!) with a minor (no disposable income of their own).
    Prosecution: Yes you said. You knew and accepted that there might be minors playing and went ahead anyway with promoting your loot crates. Prosecution rests. 

Government Response: If you have no way of verifying the age of your customers, you may not offer any services or transactions that may include a minor.
    That's why adult sites use a simple check box or have you put in your birth date to verify age.  After all, who would lie about a thing like that?
    ConstantineMerusKyleran

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    It won't make me want to purchase loot boxes. It would just probably make me angry and stop playing the game. It sounds like Activision is realizing that they no longer have the longevity with Call of Duty they once did, the numbers just aren't the same. They will sell a hell of a lot of copies, but they are no longer nearly as active as they once were. I own Infinite Warfare on the console it has the most players on (PS4) and I can only really find matches in Team Deathmatch most of the time. During peak hours I can find matches in a couple other modes, but back in the day every mode always had at least one or two matches to join. I think they see how well the other company they own (blizzard) is doing with lootboxes and want to emulate it, unfortunately they don't realize Blizzards lootbox systems don't include any form of actual competitive advantage, whereas in call of duty its one of the only ways to get certain guns, or more powerful versions of guns. It's actually really obnoxious how that lootbox system works. Let me earn credits to buy the guns, don't make me gamble to get a more powerful gun.
  • AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854
    Wonder how a case in court on a patent like this would turn out. I mean, Activision didn't invent anything here, they're just leveraging psychology to entice players to spend more. Hardly re-inventing the wheel, let alone worthy of a patent.
    Ozmodan
    Annwyn said:
    Wonder how a case in court on a patent like this would turn out. I mean, Activision didn't invent anything here, they're just leveraging psychology to entice players to spend more. Hardly re-inventing the wheel, let alone worthy of a patent.
    I believe it's the "matching system" that they outsourced that is patented. The technology behind it.

Gdemami

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Annwyn said:
    You can't patent an idea/invention. You can patent the way in which the idea/invention works. 
    GdemamiKyleranOzmodan

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Kyleran said:
    Scot said:

This will change when US gun laws change. Hell's not seeming so frosty, so don't hold your breath. 
    MadFrenchieConstantineMerusKyleran[Deleted User]

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited October 2017
    CrazKanuk said:
    Kyleran said:
    Scot said:

This will change when US gun laws change. Hell's not seeming so frosty, so don't hold your breath. 
    Which is precisely why regulatory entities become involved in these sort of situations in the best interest of the general public at large, even if the public at large isn't aware of the very obvious need for such regulation.

I'm sure there were some folks espousing the same "personal responsibility" regarding the conditions in the meat packing industry prior to "The Jungle" being released.  Doesn't change the fact that regulating this industry was the right thing to do even before a muckraker forcefully brought the issue to the forefront of society.
    Gdemami

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    CrazKanuk said:
    Kyleran said:
    Scot said:

Which is precisely why regulatory entities become involved in these sort of situations in the best interest of the general public at large, even if the public at large isn't aware of the very obvious need for such regulation.

I'm sure there were some folks espousing the same "personal responsibility" regarding the conditions in the meat packing industry prior to "The Jungle" being released.  Doesn't change the fact that regulating this industry was the right thing to do even before a muckraker forcefully brought the issue to the forefront of society.

Here's the problem though, and it's the same with guns. You give the responsibility of regulating an industry to the government..... who is in office due to deep-pocket lobbyists. So, in the end, the regulations that get put into place end up, MAYBE, solving a large over-arching issue that is perceived, but the reality is that these companies can't even go TO the extreme that these regulations are restricting because they would ultimately suffer such catastrophic damages to their bottom line from consumer pushback that it isn't worth implementing. Look at this Activision patent. It's not even 24 hours passed and they've already issued a PR statement to distance themselves from this idea, indicating that this has not been implemented into any game and was a study undertaken by a third party (ie "aka didn't do it"). Are they collecting metrics from games right now? I'd be surprised if they weren't. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they had machine learning built in that actively tells them circumstances in which someone might make a purchase. Whether they ACTUALLY create that environment is another story. 

I don't really like the "personal responsibility" angle, but at the same time I would rather NOT have the government regulating my life. Also, I feel like this regulation is lauded as "protecting the children and vulnerable", but the reality is that it's about "I want that and I think it sucks that he can buy it and I refuse to buy it." 

Whatever the case, again, if you can't come up with a handful of things that are significantly more important for your government to regulate or fix, then let me know what country you live in because I'm moving! 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• azonic69azonic69 Member UncommonPosts: 103

Siveria said:

SBFord said:

IMO Loot boxes/gacha bags should be aganst the law in the first place, as its essentally gambling no matter how they try to sugarcoat it. The odds of getting anything decent are so low its like hitting the jackpot on a slot machine, the diffrence is alot of slot machines aren't 5 dollars a pop like most of the scam boxes are.

Sadly how it is now won't change, it'll only get worse because the devs and publishers know most players are stupid and will buy into microtransactions like a fly to crap. Gamers today that started in the ps2 era have killed gaming as they are the main ones who buy into all this microtransaction crap, because they do not know how it orignally was and they think its normal.

The worst offenders are the games that lock content ALREADY ON THE DISC behind a paywall, today its very rare to actually get a complete game out of the box, most big name games have a large portion of the game behind a paywall, stuff like other game modes and such that in the past would have been a default option, but now a days they want you to pay extra for it, even though its already in the game. I personally find this thing with on disc dlc digusting, and you know what I do to fight it? I just torrent the damn game for spite and tell them to shove it up there ass. Saves me money and it shows that I ain't going to support that crap. Mind you, I feel most AAA games today are garbage so I rarely if ever actually bother with any of them. If you've played 1 fps game, you've played pretty much every AAA fps game out there.

I'm pretty sure most gamers do NOT buy loot boxes. Putting up microtransactions doesn't cost them thing (maybe an hour of coding time) and brings in some revenu. That's the reason why it's never gonna go away, all they need to make a return on their investment is for 6 people to buy a 5$ item and they're in the black.
    GdemamiSovrath
  • Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292
    SBFord said:

Again, I am surprised that no one seems to be asking the most reasonable question:

How/Why is this patentable?

People have been doing this in various forms for years, why is this suddenly something that you can get a patent for? Can I get a patent for matching a new player with an experienced player? How about someone not in a guild with several players that are?

I agree that adding automated systems that do this on a larger scale might be new, but the basics are not, and have been done for a long time.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

gervaise1 said:

SBFord said:

That's why adult sites use a simple check box or have you put in your birth date to verify age.  After all, who would lie about a thing like that?
    I would! Almost to the point where those "year wheels" don't go far enough back.  :'(

ConstantineMerus

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    SBFord said:

Again, I am surprised that no one seems to be asking the most reasonable question:

People have been doing this in various forms for years, why is this suddenly something that you can get a patent for? Can I get a patent for matching a new player with an experienced player? How about someone not in a guild with several players that are?

I agree that adding automated systems that do this on a larger scale might be new, but the basics are not, and have been done for a long time.
    You can't patent the matchmaking itself, it is the process that makes it work that is patent-able
    Kyleran

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

SBFord said:

Well, go into depth on the technology used and it will be clear. But since we don't know what the technology is that they are using, we can't comment.

It's not just an algorithm. That can't be patented. So it must be something more.