Visceral Games Closing, Star Wars Title Heads to EA Montreal - MMORPG.com News

SBFordSBFord Associate Editor - News ManagerThe CitadelMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 25,845
edited October 17 in News & Features Discussion

imageVisceral Games Closing, Star Wars Title Heads to EA Montreal - MMORPG.com News

The Visceral team has placed an announcement at EA.com to let fans and the community know that the studio is closing down as development on the "action-adventure in the Star Wars universe" is moved to EA Montreal, with development being taken over by EA Worldwide Studios. The letter says, "We are shifting the game to be a broader experience that allows for more variety and player agency, leaning into the capabilities of the Frostbite engine".

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Associate Editor - News Manager The CitadelMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 25,845
    edited October 17
    The destruction of independent and / or creative studios continues. How many now lie in the garbage heap beneath the EA towers? (edited)
    Post edited by SBFord on
    GdemamiGorweXodicOctagon7711MrMelGibsonViper482MargravesaltydBeezerbeezinfomatzand 7 others.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member EpicPosts: 3,607

SBFord said:

The destruction of independent and creative studios continues. How many now lie in the garbage heap beneath the EA towers?

Personally, I can't wait for them to finish the title so I can see what's in their loot boxes /endsarcasm. I still can't believe they're defending loot boxes, saying "People did not experience the full set up and will understand it better at launch" or some garbage.
    Asm0deusGdemamiOctagon7711AlomarTillerLackingMMOinfomatz
  • ShaighShaigh Member RarePosts: 1,506
    SBFord said:
    The destruction of independent and creative studios continues. How many now lie in the garbage heap beneath the EA towers?
    What independent studio are you talking about, when they released dead space 1 the studio was called EA redwood shores.
    The cynic knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.
  • SovrathSovrath Boston Area, MAMember LegendaryPosts: 23,082

Shaigh said:

SBFord said:

What independent studio are you talking about, when they released dead space 1 the studio was called EA redwood shores.

She's not saying they are independent, merely noting that "independent AND/OR creative studios close under the EA name".
    SBFordMrMelGibsonConstantineMerus

• TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 14,804
    edited October 17
    I see the cycle a bit differently. An indie studio gets a good team together, they produce some good work, and they get bought up and profit. Studio is dissolved and those that fallout can go form up again and make something new. Those that stay can join them when they get tired of the corporate bullshirt. Profit, rinse, repeat.
    Post edited by Torval on
    GdemamiCycotikwolfMrMelGibsonConstantineMerusCrazKanuk
    The artist or album content may be offensive or controversial.
    Avatar Artist: The Plugz, The Burning Sensations
    Album: Repo Man Soundtrack
    Featured Tracks: Hombre Secreto [Plugz], Pablo Picasso [Burning Sensations]
  • SBFordSBFord Associate Editor - News Manager The CitadelMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 25,845
    Sovrath said:

Shaigh said:

SBFord said:

She's not saying they are independent, merely noting that "independent AND/OR creative studios close under the EA name".
    Correct and I'll edit for clarity. I fully understand EA Redwood Shores was the previous name, but the studio gave us Dead Space and certainly the SW title would have added to a great portfolio.
    MrMelGibson

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• azarhalazarhal Somewhere, BCMember UncommonPosts: 1,167
    Shaigh said:
    SBFord said:
    Yup, form 1998 to 2009 it was called EA Redwood Shores, it was never independent.

They have been working on this SW game since 2013, and the lack of it since the first time they showed a tiny bit of it more than 2 years ago smell of development hell...

It actually looks a bit like what happened to BioWare Montréal after MEA, except EA said "screw this" before even releasing the game.
    GdemamiAlomarIceAgeBakgrind
  • StizzledStizzled Springfield, MOMember RarePosts: 1,785
    I really wish Amy would head up a team at Crystal Dynamics and finally finish the Legacy of Kain story now. Oh, one can dream...
  • GorweGorwe Ald'RuhnMember RarePosts: 4,249
    edited October 17
    <nevermind>
    Post edited by Gorwe on
    GdemamiSpottyGekko
  • WizardryWizardry Ontario, CanadaMember EpicPosts: 13,120
    edited October 17
    Gorwe said:
    As I said some few days ago when Humble was bought off(though I overreacted there):

FUCK EA!
    FUCK CORPORATIONS!
    N.E.V.E.R. TRUST A CORP!

I pray that their endless misbegotten greed will be their downfall.
    You can't trust corps or any big business,hard to trust anyone now a days.It would make your head spin if you really knew how much corruption and cover ups are going on everyday.

I assume heading to Montreal because Quebec offers huge incentives to businesses to practically paying no tax.
    Post edited by Wizardry on

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Boca Raton, FLMember EpicPosts: 7,435

SBFord said:

The destruction of independent and / or creative studios continues. How many now lie in the garbage heap beneath the EA towers? (edited)

Go back to the original EA mission statement. It will make you want to cry even more...

https://dantevx.wordpress.com/2012/03/01/remembering-electronic-arts-and-what-they-stood-for/
    GdemamiSedrynTyros

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Starvault's reponse to criticism related to having a handful of players as the official "test" team for a supposed MMO: "We've just have another 10ish folk kind enough to voulenteer added tot the test team" (SIC) This explains much about the state of the game :-)

• DMKanoDMKano Gamercentral, AKMember LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    Several other game studios (including Nintendo and Trion) are less than 2miles away from EAs office in Redwood shores. Any devs that might be impacted have options.
    Torval
  • DMKanoDMKano Gamercentral, AKMember LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    edited October 17

Gorwe said:

As I said some few days ago when Humble was bought off(though I overreacted there): FUCK EA! FUCK CORPORATIONS! N.E.V.E.R. TRUST A CORP! I pray that their endless misbegotten greed will be their downfall. <nevermind>

Then might as well say fuck all as corporations own everything.
    Post edited by DMKano on
  • AlomarAlomar Middle EarthMember RarePosts: 908
    edited October 17
    What a shocker, EA being EA. Is it sad I don't expect a single decent Star Wars game from EA? What a waste of an IP, they're happy as long as they micro-transaction the hell out of everything it seems.
    Post edited by Alomar on
    Fortes Fortuna Iuvat

18 year MMO veteran 
    Retired PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red

• TillerTiller Member RarePosts: 6,203
    Next Disney will buy EA

"Good, good My plan is almost complete" -Emperor Palpatine
    SBFordGorweMrMelGibsonsaltydinfomatzsomeforumguyKyleranSedrynTyros

• NibsNibs .Member UncommonPosts: 256

Alomar said:

What a shocker, EA being EA. Is it sad I don't expect a single decent Star Wars game from EA? What a waste of an IP, they're happy as long as they micro-transaction the hell out of everything it seems.

But they'll all make a boat load of cash, so financially they'll be successful.

Making games is a business. The sole purpose of the big studios is to make money for their shareholders. In fact, that is their legal responsibility.

The big studios will churn out whatever shit they (correctly, as it turns out) think the masses will buy. Minimum development costs, maximum profits. $1million in marketting will net you more profit than $1million in actual dev time/cost.

Suck it up people.

Or accept that you will have to limit yourself to only a few truly good games and STOP BUYING WHATEVER SHIT THEY KEEP CHURNING OUT.

It's been said over and over again: MONEY TALKS (I don't mean Reality Kings...). Stop buying shit. Stop buying into the hype and marketing. Stop pre-ordering. Stop buying games without waiting for some honest, post launch reviews by people/magazines/sites that aren't dependant in cash from the very companies they are meant to write impartial reviews of.
    Alomar
  • SovrathSovrath Boston Area, MAMember LegendaryPosts: 23,082
    Wizardry said:
    Gorwe said:
    As I said some few days ago when Humble was bought off(though I overreacted there):

FUCK EA!
    FUCK CORPORATIONS!
    N.E.V.E.R. TRUST A CORP!

You can't trust corps or any big business,hard to trust anyone now a days.It would make your head spin if you really knew how much corruption and cover ups are going on everyday.

I assume heading to Montreal because Quebec offers huge incentives to businesses to practically paying no tax.
    You do realize that corruption and coverups have been happening since "since" with big business right?  If you don't, look up the Ford Sociological Department and have a shock.

There's nothing new here. You want older? Union Pacific Railroad.

Corporations can be great and they certainly can do things smaller companies just can't do.

And yeah, if they can get away with something they will. Oh sure, some of them have the best intentions and even state that they "won't be evil" but sometimes they just do bad things.

Corporations also employ a lot of people so that's also a positive. Just have to keep an eye on them.

immodium

Wizardry said:
    Gorwe said:

FUCK EA!
    FUCK CORPORATIONS!
    N.E.V.E.R. TRUST A CORP!

Probably true. I shouldn't get so fussed up about this. But soulless Trumps keep destroying my hobby! How would they feel if I started meddling in their stupid golf or whatever it is that useless windbag CEOs do.

I just have H.U.G.E. aversion towards corps. They almost killed me, see. All because of corruption, greed and cutting bottom line costs.
    Gdemami
    DMKano said:

Gorwe said:

As I said some few days ago when Humble was bought off(though I overreacted there): FUCK EA! FUCK CORPORATIONS! N.E.V.E.R. TRUST A CORP! I pray that their endless misbegotten greed will be their downfall. <nevermind>

Then might as well say fuck all as corporations own everything.

NOT ME! They'll N.E.V.E.R. own me!
  • DauzqulDauzqul Detroit, MIMember RarePosts: 1,675
    "We are shifting the game to be a broader experience that allows for more variety and player agency, leaning into the capabilities of the Frostbite engine".

They are turning it into a full-blown MMORPG. :))) Wishful thinking.
    4ft Gaming Mouse Pad - www.mouserpad.com
  • TofkeTofke GeelMember UncommonPosts: 305
    edited October 17
    Oh, papa EA... it is time to buy some more shovels instead of studios. The pit is getting full.

That broader experience most likely means: bland as hell trying to appease everyone but ending up with something that's been done 10 times already.
    Post edited by Tofke on
  • winghaven1winghaven1 HafnarfjörðurMember RarePosts: 591

Albatroes said:

SBFord said:

Personally, I can't wait for them to finish the title so I can see what's in their loot boxes /endsarcasm. I still can't believe they're defending loot boxes, saying "People did not experience the full set up and will understand it better at launch" or some garbage.

Read this https://www.ea.com/games/starwars/battlefront/battlefront-2/news/thank-you-beta
  • immoralthangimmoralthang Member UncommonPosts: 27
    edited October 17
    Another shared world loot box shooter incoming.

What a joke. How long has EA had the exclusive rights to Star Wars? All we have gotten so far is a a few crappy mobile games, a generic multiplayer shooter lacking content at launch, and the sequel to said shooter.

EA, Ubisoft and Activision are gaming’s Axis of Evil
    Post edited by immoralthang on
  • DaranarDaranar Walkersville, MDMember UncommonPosts: 243
    Sadly we have almost 6 years left of the Star Wars/EA deal. Hopefully with EA's mismanagement of the Star Wars IP, Disney will think twice about re-signing with them. Really hated this deal because I knew this would happen, shitty cash grab games that ruin the Star Wars Universe (Battlefront), and inability to ship a game that might have some creativity to it. Really wish Disney just did per-game licensing so that at least well-backed creative studios could deliver us something worth playing.

If I want a world in which people can purchase success and power with cash, I'll play Real Life. Keep Virtual Worlds Virtual!

FREE Mobile Puzzle Game.  Simon Said What?  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.BGM.SimonSaidWhat

• DaranarDaranar Walkersville, MDMember UncommonPosts: 243
    "Our Visceral studio has been developing an action-adventure title set in the Star Wars universe. In its current form, it was shaping up to be a story-based, linear adventure game. Throughout the development process, we have been testing the game concept with players, listening to the feedback about what and how they want to play, and closely tracking fundamental shifts in the marketplace. It has become clear that to deliver an experience that players will want to come back to and enjoy for a long time to come, we needed to pivot the design."

Does this sound to anyone else like, there aren't as many ways to leech profit after launch in a single player story driven game. And the shifts in the marketplace are more or less a way of saying, we need to shift the game design to one that we can incorporate micro-transactions and piss off our players but please our board of directors?
    laxiePsym0nsomeforumguy

If I want a world in which people can purchase success and power with cash, I'll play Real Life. Keep Virtual Worlds Virtual!

FREE Mobile Puzzle Game.  Simon Said What?  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.BGM.SimonSaidWhat