Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guy gets so annoyed at lazy Steam game that he clones it for free in 15min

Comments

• Tabloid42Tabloid42 Member UncommonPosts: 200
    Dragnelus said:
    awful.   Doesn't Steam have some sort of Greenlight vetting that goes on Before you are allowed to sell anything?!

jeez.
    Tilleranemo
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    There is even a guy asking if Glitch Simulator should have the glitches he is seeing because its called Glitch Simulator. No wonder loot boxes are being tolerated by the gaming community.
    Octagon7711mrputts
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Valve quit curating their platform for any level of quality, no matter how basic, a long time ago.

I don't buy any game from Steam that I don't find elsewhere first.  Searching through Steam's library for a new game is useless these days.
    [Deleted User]KyleranOctagon7711LucienReneAzaron_NightbladeTalonsinHatefullalkarionlog

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Steam: "These aren't the games you're looking for, move along... move along."

KyleranAUNE2018Scot

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    DMKano said:
    MadFrenchie said: hi
    Valve quit curating their platform for any level of quality, no matter how basic, a long time ago.

I don't buy any game from Steam that I don't find elsewhere first.  Searching through Steam's library for a new game is useless these days.

I haven't bought a game from steam directly in over 5 years for this reason.

The number of absolute shite "games" on steam is atrocious.

Until Steam steps in and flushes down all the poo products - they will never see another $ from me
    And here I just bought my first game on Steam in over 6 years, Grim Dawn I think,  was on my Watch list and very cheap.

All of my other games are on GOG, picked up Witcher 3 for a good price last night as well.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    let me see if I get this right, this 'person' was smart enough to clone a game but not smart enough to be an informed shopper?
    KyleranSovrath[Deleted User]Hatefullalkarionlog

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• beebop500beebop500 Member UncommonPosts: 217
    DMKano said:

Until Steam steps in and flushes down all the poo products - they will never see another $ from me
    No kidding, Steam is atrocious.  I made a couple of purchases via Steam a few years ago and was not even remotely happy with any of the 3 games or so I bought.  Their customer support is nonexistent as well, so I just gave up on it as a platform.  As someone above me said, no wonder gamers are ponying up for loot boxes; just look at the offerings we have to choose from, lol.
    "We are all as God made us, and many of us much worse." - Don Quixote
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    Kyleran said:
    DMKano said:

And here I just bought my first game on Steam in over 6 years, Grim Dawn I think,  was on my Watch list and very cheap.

All of my other games are on GOG, picked up Witcher 3 for a good price last night as well.

I bought my first valve game back before steam launched, which was half life collection in 2000. When steam came out I remember how much people hated it, and thought it was ridiculous that you had to use a client to play a game instead of just putting the CD in and playing. It was also a piece of buggy crap back then. Back then I wouldn't have ever thought that it would have taken off so far to have infinite asset flips being launched and every game under the sun released on it. It's crazy.
    Dagon13
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,012
    SEANMCAD said:
    let me see if I get this right, this 'person' was smart enough to clone a game but not smart enough to be an informed shopper?
    I'm going with this. Though it us possible he just saw the game and became intrigued at how bad it truly was and purchased it knowing he cold ask for his money back after he checked it out.

Still, I've rarely purchased a game from steam that I disliked as I usually purchase after I've done my research.

[Deleted User]Lazarus71LackingMMOHatefullwesjr
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Sovrath said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    I'm going with this. Though it us possible he just saw the game and became intrigued at how bad it truly was and purchased it knowing he cold ask for his money back after he checked it out.

Still, I've rarely purchased a game from steam that I disliked as I usually purchase after I've done my research.

there are people in the Steam ecosystem who make it a hobby to go out of their way to find bad games and complain about them. so there is that
    Kyleran

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,165
    Yeah their are some sh!t games on Steam (as with anywhere else) but there are also some good ones. You just have to know how to find them. At least there is a refund policy, back in the day when you got a crap game most stores didn't allow returns.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Sovrath said:
    SEANMCAD said:

Quite honestly, the amount of research the average gamer does or does not put into a product doesn't absolve, at all, the propensity of Valve to allow scammers and completely failed titles to hang around the game list of their platform.  We all know why they do it; they aren't providing the platform as a charity.

They really don't need the constant apologist attitude.

edited October 2017
    Sovrath said:
    SEANMCAD said:

Quite honestly, the amount of research the average gamer does or does not put into a product doesn't absolve, at all, the propensity of Valve to allow scammers and completely failed titles to hang around the game list of their platform.  We all know why they do it; they aren't providing the platform as a charity.

however, lying or misleading the audience regarding how you came to your complaint does not assure creditably.

The very first thing I thought when I read this was 'why did this moron buy the game in the first place'.

so which is worse? deliberately misleading your audience or overlooking curation?

Lazarus71

• Lazarus71Lazarus71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,081
    Sovrath said:
    SEANMCAD said:

Exactly I have made many purchases from steam and will continue to do so. Do the research before buying is not a difficult task lol.

No signature, I don't have a pen

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    Valve has sadly been on the decline since they allowed Green Light, and games to be published by 3rd parties I've used steam since 2005, and in early beta, and I remember before they allowed all these 3rd party companies to publish and sell games through steam it was great.

Now steam allows pretty much any game, even those that sell "Lootboxes", contain Malicious software like Game Guard or Xing Code rootkits, or even Denuvo 3rd party DRM that requires extra resources from a users computer to even be able to play it which is heavily debated on all allowed throughh steam, and this doesn't just hurt the game companies and publishers using it, it causes harm to those who don't because now anyone who researches games before they buy like I do always have to get a response from others, or the developers of the game uses Denuvo, becuase sometimes its not even listed on the product on steam.

Steam should honestly IMO do a big clean-up and remove all games running malicious rootkits, or 3rd party DRM, and not allow them to be sold or publishes on steam at all because steam used to be a safe place where players could go download and play (The Game) they wanted without the requirements to install all this other stuff, but over the years that has changed and games like this  have made it onto the store.

Steam is a good platform, but only good and reputable games that can follow certain standards should be allowed on the platform, for example "Rainbow 6" is fine because it asks permission and uses Uplay their own DRM made by Ubisoft, but 3rd party DRM is not fine.

Quality games like "The Witcher" and original "Dragon Age" need to be on there and the steam store should be filled with great games not all these poorly developed games.
    Renoaku said:
    Valve has sadly been on the decline since they allowed Green Light, and games to be published by 3rd parties I've used steam since 2005, and in early beta, and I remember before they allowed all these 3rd party companies to publish and sell games through steam it was great.

for me the only reason I am still playing video games is because of these '3rd party' games like Subnautica, 7 Days to Die, Empyrion Galactic Survival and so many more (I can provide a much larger list if you like).

Sorry but 'The Witcher' just does not appeal to me at all. I have 1000 hours in 7 days to die and yet only 2 hours in GTA 5, do I have a personality defect?

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    That gameguru engine seems interesting though.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Tabloid42 said:
    Dragnelus said:
    awful.   Doesn't Steam have some sort of Greenlight vetting that goes on Before you are allowed to sell anything?!

jeez.
    They removed greenlight.
    Not that ever showed much credence to their criteria,Steam is full of utter crap,stuff not worth even looking at because you can't have that time  wasted back in your life.

Before you laugh at that game too much,realize what Smedley was trying to pull off.A similar generated map using player made assets.So to talk about pre-loaded assets in this game is no different  than Smedley not using his own assets.Sure Soe made some tiles...lmao,yeah good job,should get a whole team together for that.

I have seen much worse games in Steam,one had something to do with taking a shower with your dad...ok i win.No game could be worse,this is when Steam still had it's Greenlight going,pretty sad,let's hear from all those people telling us gaming is great right now.
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/359050/Shower_With_Your_Dad_Simulator_2015_Do_You_Still_Shower_With_Your_Dad/

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Wizardry said:
    Tabloid42 said:
    Dragnelus said:

jeez.
    They removed greenlight.
    Not that ever showed much credence to their criteria,Steam is full of utter crap,stuff not worth even looking at because you can't have that time  wasted back in your life.

not really true.

Yes if you go to the 'new releases' tab its possible but if you do like everyone on the planet does and look at top selling, or look into your favorite youtube channels then its painfully easy to find the good titles. 

seriously....its not hard. in fact one has to go out of their way to NOT see the good titles.

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    I use steam, a lot. If its clearly an indie game I will not pay more than 5 dollars. I have certainly played some games I don't like, but I don't think any could be cloned in 15 minutes. 

I am glad Steam is giving Indie people a platform. Even AAA studios come out with absolute trash. But they usually change 10X as much.
    Golelorn said:
    I use steam, a lot. If its clearly an indie game I will not pay more than 5 dollars. I have certainly played some games I don't like, but I don't think any could be cloned in 15 minutes. 

I am glad Steam is giving Indie people a platform. Even AAA studios come out with absolute trash. But they usually change 10X as much.
    very literally the best parts of the gaming industry right now are in what you are avoiding. the indie market in the $20 range. Subnautica, the forest, space engineers, (i can provide a much longer list if you want) are all fantastic games that frankly in my opinion put most AAA titles to shame

Sovrath said:
    SEANMCAD said:

The thing is I have a hard time with "victim mentality". So yeah, I suppose that's on me.

Those people who play a game that's clearly crap, feel deeply wronged and go rush to the forums so they can unload.  I'm sure it's just a small minority that's exceptionally loud but it brings down the community and paints that community is a rather pissy "forever wounded" light.

Should Steam curate better? Maybe. I would almost say full on yes (and "yes" you are very correct they want to make money and as much money as they can make) but in the end no one is forcing people to pay for this garbage. I mean, show me one of their crap games and I'm fairly certain 100 times out of 100 I"ll recognize it as a crap game. And move on no worse for the experience.

I just want to slap a certain segment of the gaming community and say "grow the f*** up and take some responsibility".

Now, having said that, that's not necessarily the issue here. I do think that, as Sean points out, there could just be people who point out crappy games, it's their hobby. And good for them if that's the case.

If a game is presented incorrectly then "sure" take the developer to task.

But I've seen a decent amount of these asset flip games, I watch the Jimquisition every week and he's constantly talking about this stuff and it looks like absolute garbage. Steam doesn't necessarily need to quality control something that if it looks like a turd it's probably a "turd".

Though, I suppose the counter argument to that is too many garbage games obscure the good stuff as people have to wade through them. Not sure the answer to that as I've not really had this issue. If I'm interested in something "unknown" I tend to go through my queue. Never let me down yet.

[Deleted User]

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Torval said:

Great post. Curating is hard. One person's treasure is another's junk and vice versa. Asset flippers though, ugh. Who decides what I get to see? That's part of my concern with review bombs and what gets put on my Steam store feed.
    Gabe has stated Valves view on curation and in short people should expect less curation from them not more. Morever, given that he has stated that 'we dont think we are good at it and we dont want to do it' that if forced to do it that they would not be very good at it. That is not a hard rule but someone not wanting to do something and feeling they are not good at it is usually an indicator that they are not the best qualified for it.

Valve wants other people to curate, they have ideas but they are also open to the market place doing it without their direct assistance. but the end is that they do not want to curate

SEANMCAD said:
    Torval said:

Great post. Curating is hard. One person's treasure is another's junk and vice versa. Asset flippers though, ugh. Who decides what I get to see? That's part of my concern with review bombs and what gets put on my Steam store feed.
    Gabe has stated Valves view on curation and in short people should expect less curation from them not more. Morever, given that he has stated that 'we dont think we are good at it and we dont want to do it' that if forced to do it that they would not be very good at it. That is not a hard rule but someone not wanting to do something and feeling they are not good at it is usually an indicator that they are not the best qualified for it.

Valve wants other people to curate, they have ideas but they are also open to the market place doing it without their direct assistance. but the end is that they do not want to curate
    In the end, it's like a big mega store. Target or Best Buy (or Caldors or Bradleys or Service Merchandise or A&P or Woolworth ... what were we talking about again? Oh yeah) that just carries "stuff".

You go in and you go up and down the aisles and you have to be smart about how you spend your money.
    [Deleted User]

Sovrath said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Torval said:

In the end, it's like a big mega store. Target or Best Buy (or Caldors or Bradleys or Service Merchandise or A&P or Woolworth ... what were we talking about again? Oh yeah) that just carries "stuff".

You go in and you go up and down the aisles and you have to be smart about how you spend your money.
    no that is not what we are saying.

Picture this...you  drive into a strip mall that has 30 different small stores. all those 30 small stores are attached to one large building in the back.
    Each of those stores specialize to different customers. You walk into 'Gore Games are us' and you say 'want to see the best 10 gore games'. they then go back in the back to the building and grab those games. That building is Steam.

The plans for Steam is that Steam runs in the BACK END, curators work in the FRONT END. if you want curation you go to your favorite store, if you dont, you can access Steam directly.

make sense? its not like walmart, walmart doesnt have front facing small stores that then go back in the back to get the goddies, work with me here