Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's the biggest jerk thing you've ever done in a video game to another person.

CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
Well, 

I used to backstab in starcraft 1 on comp stomps, it was friggin hilarious. I also used to PK actively in Diablo 2 HC USeast with no hacks. I'd go in with low characters lvl 13-17 and try to take out higher level players, up to lvl 40 or so. 

Now when I play, I don't do any of that stuff, I feel kind of bad. I also never lie, cheat, break my word, or steal from other players ever. If you ask me to hold your in-game item that is literally worth $1,000 USD, I'd give it back without a problem. Even if you trusted me to hold your lottery ticket, I'd hold it for you and give it back. 

But yeah, back in 1999-2003 i'd backstab in SC1 and PK in diablo 2. 

Cryomatrix
Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    edited October 2017
    I never did any stuff like that. If I pk'ed someone it was always because they attacked me first and therefore they were "game" or that we were at war with them.

I used to do more stuff like show new players around and give out money and gear.

I'm just not wired that way.

Cool you could take out higher level players in Diablo!
    Allerleirauh
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Posted osmethne on the old IGN boards (they were called something else at the time) and that post made the boards "famous" and super popular (for the time period). And I later looked and there are actually websites that list osmethne and even a coffee mug someone made with the logo lol

This was the legit post I made when I was a kid back then

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=osmethne

It made it to the urban dictionary rofl

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    I accidentally ran a bunch of angry mobs over another player which they killed in WoW once.
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Sovrath said:
    I never did any stuff like that. If I pk'ed someone it was always because they attacked me first and therefore they were "game" or that we were at war with them.

I used to do more stuff like show new players around and give out money and gear.

I'm just not wired that way.

Cool you could take out higher level players in Diablo!

I do that stuff too, but my jerk ways ended about 15 years ago. 
    Sovrath
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    I've never done anything worse than underreport drops when I was on collection duty (and quietly walk off with the excess).  And I never made a habit out of doing that.  The only discourteous thing I've done regularly is say that I was halfway to a dungeon when I was just starting to head there, or pretend to be afk when someone wanted me to spend an hour helping them with something I'd get no benefit out of or might get killed doing.
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    edited October 2017
    When Age of Conan first launched, monster bosses would have a giant tag above their head that said "BOSS". I started a guild and named it BOSS. To a real player, I looked just like a NPC. I would go to some lowbie area on Tortage, kill the real NPC Boss, and stand there in its place... waiting for n00bs to attack.

I WOULD UNLOAD ON THEM. I would beat 'em down until they had 1-5% health left and then chase them around the entire zone. Haha. They must have thought the agro-range was insane.

I'm laughing now just thinking about it. Sigh. The glory days.
    Phryysn888AllerleirauhOctagon7711Hoochler
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    Steal some wild farm stuffs  in Archeage , still have few crime points since 2014 lol , i need somethings for quest
    Meowinger
  • Quizar1973Quizar1973 Member UncommonPosts: 251
    I use to be a Big time PKer in Ultima Online and steal peoples Houses that were trying to sell them...And I once took a Black Dye Tub from another player...(Black Dye Tubs use to be very Rare)....But that was UO Pre Trammel days and a long time ago...Since then I havnt done anything like that....
    ysn888
    No one shall Rent space in my head!!!!!  B)
  • DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    I'm pretty much the anti-jerk when it comes to behavior in MMOs - as I hate jerky behavior :)

Well, maybe not - because I'm also a bit selfish in that I rarely go out of my way to help new players. I just don't have the patience for it.

That said, I don't ever do anything to annoy others that don't ask for it - at least not on purpose.

Except for one specific time that I'll never forget.

It was during the early WoW days - where PvP didn't have an honor system, and it was pretty much just random open world encounters.

Well, one day - my girlfriend at the time and myself were playing - just going about our business questing and what not.

For whatever reason, some gank team had decided we were their targets for the day. So, we were ganked several times - and I remember being particularly annoyed, because I was very focused on getting to the next level for a specific reward (or ability - I forget).

Anyway, after being ganked a number of times - we had to relocate and go do something else, abandoning our current quest progress.

So, we summoned our mounts and started riding towards Ashenvale (IIRC).

Soon after arriving, I spotted a lone Horde low-level character coming towards us, heading in the opposite direction (probably a fresh noob from the Barrens on some hopelessly long quest) - and I was still really frustrated and pissed from being ganked just moments before.

So, naturally, I dismounted and proceeded to start slaughtering the poor guy - with my nostrils flaring.

Now, that's not unusual - or even particularly nasty.

But, the thing that stood out about that moment - for me - is that, just before I delivered the final blow - he actually emoted that he was literally begging me to stop killing him!

My girlfriend was pretty shocked and tried to stop me from executing him.

At any other time during my WoW era - I would have immediately stopped what I was doing and spared him - but I was so angry about the ganking that I went completely against my instincts and nature to be a kind player.

I felt really, really bad afterwards. I'm not kidding!

From that moment on, I learned never to let my rage over being ganked impact my normal peaceful style of playing :)
    PhryCryomatrix
  • WoeToTheVanquishedWoeToTheVanquished Member UncommonPosts: 276
    I would reciprocate bad behavior that I experienced in MMOs.
    If someone would pk me and cut up my armor on Ultima Online, I would do the same to others. 
    If someone used a specific build/character to unfairly kill me on Lineage 1, I would create the same character (final burn dark elf).

It was mostly for in-game profit. I wouldn't waste my time just to make someone else's day pointlessly bad. Cutting up armor would also teach those players to stay out of my territory. But being greedy isn't much better, I suppose.
  • WalkinGlennWalkinGlenn Member RarePosts: 451
    Stole a T2 BPO from a small indie corp. Then karma struk and i got ganked in lowsec with it, lol. 
  • koira1koira1 Member UncommonPosts: 264
    Blueshell. 'nough said..
    lahnmir
  • ysn888ysn888 Member UncommonPosts: 62
    edited October 2017
    I was a warrior thief in UO , this guy had +15 spear , i walk his home with him , stole his spear when he was using sword and board , killed him with his own spear cut his body then runaway yelling 'LOLOLOLO..'  Good days . 
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Warping to a gate in Eve Online in null sec, was being chased by someone flying a rapier, stopped short of the next gate by 30km and dropped a bomb from my Hound, didn't kill him but left him in low hull before he warped off,  i died in a gate camp 3 systems later, but, was funny as hell. :p
    TalonsinConstantineMerus
  • FrammshammFrammshamm Member UncommonPosts: 322
    Well, 

I also never lie, cheat, break my word, or steal from other players ever. If you ask me to hold your in-game item that is literally worth $1,000 USD, I'd give it back without a problem. Even if you trusted me to hold your lottery ticket, I'd hold it for you and give it back. 

Cryomatrix
    BWAHAHA.. this sounds like a pathetic attempt in EVE to start a Scam Fund. Keep it up Bro!
  • FrammshammFrammshamm Member UncommonPosts: 322
    edited October 2017
    ysn888 said:
    I was a warrior thief in UO , this guy had +15 spear , i walk his home with him , stole his spear when he was using sword and board , killed him with his own spear cut his body then runaway yelling 'LOLOLOLO..'  Good days . 
    lies... old school UO didnt have a +15 gear anything. That type of RNG enchantment system is from another game.

Maybe it was a vanquishing spear... but that would be giving you the benefit of the doubt no wouldnt it.
  • LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085
    Most of it happened in UO. I've reformed.

Stole a few houses, sold one on ebay. Used a friends house to scam a few hundred thousand gold from a group of people, spent most of my days stealing magic weapons, rares, boat keys, black dye tubs from dungeoneer's banking at Ocllo (Great Lakes, represent). I regret most of it, but playing a thief was pretty fun when I was young and had no morals.
    ysn888

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• LerxstLerxst Member UncommonPosts: 648
    Going back to the MUD days here....

They were unique games, since they were text based - you could blind people (they can't see any text that described anything around, or perform actions that involved sight. You could mute people - they couldn't type anything in a chat channel. Etc. etc. etc.

I used to go around on a PK MUD and cast my spell "cocktail" as a mage that would blind, mute, weaken, curse (makes it impossible to teleport, or be teleport-saved by friends), sleep and Plague. If they failed to resist at least half of those, they were mine to toy with.

At the very least, that combination would weaken them to the point of dropping their weapons... which I then took for myself.

If they forgot to set their characters up properly (in game options menu), I could even Charm Person, them, and force them to unequip themselves, drop their gear and follow me around naked. Of course, I looted everything they dropped.

You could also join guilds, fire all the officers, and take over the leadership for yourself, doing the Charm Person tactic. *whistles innocently*

ysn888 said:
    lies... old school UO didnt have a +15 gear anything. That type of RNG enchantment system is from another game.

Maybe it was a vanquishing spear... but that would be giving you the benefit of the doubt no wouldnt it.
     vanquishing spear is +15 man .. 
    Lawlmonster
  • AllerleirauhAllerleirauh Member UncommonPosts: 496
    Based on these comments, it's not surprising that mmorpg.com is not as toxic as other forums. I play games to have fun, and I wouldn't want to make other players gaming miserable, so I haven't done any jerk moves either. @Dauzqul That's actually kind of creative; I wouldn't consider that a jerk move.
    Currently Playing: Path of Exile

"I have found a desire within myself that no experience in this world can satisfy; the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." ~ C. S. Lewis
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    ysn888 said:
    ysn888 said:

I dont remember any +15 stuff either, but I played the OG version until trammel.  I remember the plus's only went up to 5 and had names.  I had the +5 bow that was the greatest bow you could find.  I fished it up in a treasure chest.  They added higher stuff later after the trammel changes
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

Talonsin said:
    ysn888 said:
    ysn888 said:

I dont remember any +15 stuff either, but I played the OG version until trammel.  I remember the plus's only went up to 5 and had names.  I had the +5 bow that was the greatest bow you could find.  I fished it up in a treasure chest.  They added higher stuff later after the trammel changes
    Ruin+3 damage
    Might+6 damage
    Force+9 damage
    Power+12 damage
    Vanquishing+15 damage
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I am not going to say what it was,many maybe even most would say what i did was justified but i still feel bad about it to this day.The player in question had some serious issues,i am usually forgiving of such players,it is not always their fault.His GF was also having serious issues living with him,so it was a mess,all the more reason i added fuel to the fire and wish that somewhere out there the both of them are alright and having a better time in life.

We often forget that there are people out there,struggling every single day in life,some. can barely pay the bills,we just assume seeing people in games means they are all well off,ok doing great,but not the case.We should be more careful how we treat  people,we only have one life on this planet and will soon be gone before we know it.
    SovrathCryomatrix

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Tabloid42Tabloid42 Member UncommonPosts: 200
    It didn't start out as a jerk thing but,..

In SWG I was an Entertainer in a cantina with a few others jamming out collecting tips. This newbie runs in and starts harassing people. SO I ask him to stop. He doesn't.

I finally send a Duel request. And perhaps he didn't know what was going on but it accepted.

I immediately sick my Probe Droid on him.  I can't remember if it was around the time pets were OP or not but it dropped him fast.  He got up eventually and I did it again.  And again and again. He ran outside yelling Stop.  I chased him and dropped him a few more times.  I did this for as long as I could because at this point I was having fun.
    He logged out eventually.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Probably something in Darkfall UW.  Reluctantly helping guildies kill a smaller guild because they were allied to an enemy of ours.  Blowing up their city etc.  Most the guilds we blew up their city  deserved it though.  I remember one or two times feeling like we shouldn't be doing this.