Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wooting One Mechanical Keyboard: Finally, True Keyboard Innovation - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited October 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageWooting One Mechanical Keyboard: Finally, True Keyboard Innovation - MMORPG.com

In May of 2017, the small team at Wooting launched their Kickstarter to fund the Wooting One, the first mechanical gaming keyboard to offer analog support. In just seven hours, the One blew through its original €30000 funding goal. By the end of the month, they were funded to the tune of more than 450% of their target. Backers were excited about the Wooting One: a truly innovative mechanical gaming keyboard with the potential to change how PC games are played.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• XophXoph Member UncommonPosts: 176
    Seems like a nice keyboard to have...
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Never heard of em or it.
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523

DMKano said:

The travel distance must be huge on those keys.

Also I dont see any devs jumping to develop for this.

So while cool, I doubt much actual use in games.

Hardware needs a huge userbase before it is deemed worthy developing for

I agree with this. Game needs to be designed with such functions in mind or the device itself must control it... at which point it is likely to be considered an illegal third-party hack and get you banned.

They've always been able to devise devices to automate everything, the game developers are the ones that have been frowning upon such devices. I don't see this being accepted by the developers any time soon.
    LucienReneXingbairongGdemami
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    These developers won't even optimize games to get the most out of video cards, and you have to pull out finger nails to get FOV sliders. Good luck getting them to integrate this cool keyboard feature though.
    LucienRene
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

These developers won't even optimize games to get the most out of video cards, and you have to pull out finger nails to get FOV sliders. Good luck getting them to integrate this cool keyboard feature though.

Yup. So many PC games just being crappy, unoptimized console ports is one reason why I switched back to console as my primary gaming platform. The only way to get some of them to run properly is to have hardware that's stupidly overpowered, and even that isn't always a guarantee.

Many developers these days are under budget / time restrictions which prevent proper PC support from being coded, have spent their entire careers coding for consoles and don't have the knowledge or experience to do it properly, aren't allowed to develop the PC version separately, are too lazy to do it right, or any mixture of the above. While this device sounds like awesome and innovative tech, I don't see it getting proper support for a long time, if ever, and utilizing third party software to make it work is just asking for a ban from most online games.

Cool, but unfortunately highly impractical. A damn shame because it's one of the increasingly few gaming related Kickstarters which actually managed to deliver what was promised. Best of luck to them.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• GameByNightGameByNight Hardware and Technology EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 793
    Just to clarify, because it is a recognized xinput device, it will work with anything that supports an Xbox controller. When DirectInput releases, it will widen that further. Developers don't need to do anything at all extra.

In essence, what it's doing is recognizing keypresses you choose as controller input. So if you're playing, say, Mass Effect, you map WASD to the joystick and you have full analog control. When you push WASD the game sees a controller input, analog due to the flaretech switches, when you push anything *not* mapped to the controller, it sees keyboard input. So, it's switching between two recognized input devices in-game even though you're really only using the keyboard. It's incredibly versatile.
    Gdemami
  • jitter77jitter77 Member UncommonPosts: 512
    Very innovative, but maybe a bit ahead of its time
  • Kylando90Kylando90 Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Yea all these new keyboards coming out and still not one single company will make the keyboard that all gamers want to have.. A keyboard with all ur gaming controls and keys for MMORPG's.. I wish a company would start making keyboards like this again, the company who made them went out of business before gaming was really that big.. https://imgur.com/qTMKsW1
    frostymugThornrage
  • frostymugfrostymug Member RarePosts: 645
    Kylando90 said:
    Yea all these new keyboards coming out and still not one single company will make the keyboard that all gamers want to have.. A keyboard with all ur gaming controls and keys for MMORPG's.. I wish a company would start making keyboards like this again, the company who made them went out of business before gaming was really that big.. https://imgur.com/qTMKsW1
    That's the keyboard I have. Also have an older one without backlighting. The old one was by Ideazon, the new one is a Steelseries after they bought them out.

I've tried to find a Fang keypad or similar alternative so I could switch to a normal keyboard, but they're all gone. So I'll use this one until it breaks and switch to the old one then
  • GameByNightGameByNight Hardware and Technology EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 793

Torval said:

Kylando90 said:

You can build stuff similar to that with custom keyboard sites. It's a bit expensive but still within the realm of reality. Those went out of favor because they're huge space hogs and programmability on a standard ANSI board made those extra keys redundant. 

This board is an entirely different piece of gear. It's not a traditional keyboard. It's an optical analog input device that can send standard keyboard character output as one of its features, but it can also send analog xinput like a controller. If I'm understanding the functionality correctly the board can be configured to send both types of output at once depending on how the keys are mapped which gives you the functionality of a keyboard and controller on the same device.

Also I don't think this type of output device is subject to ghosting at all. Ghosting is a drawback of traditional keyboard PCB architecture. This doesn't use that same type of technology to generate output.

You've got it exactly right.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    I'm predicting a lot of UI issues with this thing. There's a lot of games that switch the UI automatically when you use your controller and switch back to keyboard mode when you use your keyboard again. So.. based on the info we have, this new keyboard will make games with that feature switch the UI constantly because it will think you keep changing input type.
    Asm0deusGdemami
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • ThornrageThornrage Member UncommonPosts: 659

Kylando90 said:

This was the keyboard I used for years. They no longer make them. I miss mine.

"I don't give a sh*t what other people say. I play what I like and I'll pay to do it too!" - SerialMMOist