Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final Fantasy XIV - Patch 4.1 First Thoughts - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited October 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageFinal Fantasy XIV - Patch 4.1 First Thoughts - MMORPG.com

Last Tuesday saw the release of The Legend Returns, Stormblood’s first major content update. Patch 4.1 brings a wealth of features including a new 24-man raid, an extreme primal and a continuation of the storyline after the liberation of Ala Mhigo.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Yeah it seems like the general community is all saying the same thing about housing, that it should be at least limited to one account per server. To me, this patch wasn't really anything to write home about though, so if they do a free log in thing around 4.15 then I'll probably take a look but its nothing to resub for atm to me. I'm honestly waiting until the next PotD or Eureka to come in so I can finish leveling jobs through that content. I hated running PotD when I had everything to 60 in HW, so I'm trying not to make that same mistake again by capping everything so fast that stuff like that ends up feeling like a chore more so than fun.
  • winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 737
    edited October 2017
    What a dumb housing system.
    LucienRene
    edited October 2017

What a dumb housing system.

Its definitely a system that wont ever see a true fix, just like with the main story gating 75% of the game. The "work around" for that was selling boosts, so it wont surprised me if SE just opens up "premium" wards that you can rent for real money to ensure you get a house, similar to their optional retainer service which is the same as renting extra space in the game with real money.
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,848
    EVERY single time an MMO introduces housing plots this happens.

So, why are people upset about it? Shouldnt you be expecting this to happen at this point?

Just do instanced housing and everyone is happy. Well, except the people that cry "but mah immersions" but no one cares about them anyway.
    LucienRene

Xiaoki said:

So, why are people upset about it? Shouldnt you be expecting this to happen at this point?

Just do instanced housing and everyone is happy. Well, except the people that cry "but mah immersions" but no one cares about them anyway.

I'd say the complaints work but they honestly dont. The vocal minority that does exist on the forums wont unsub because you need to be subbed in order to post on the forum anyway (with about a 2 week kick off period if you've unsubbed). There's also the fact that a HUGE number would have to unsub for it to honestly matter mainly because the cash shop more than likely pulls in half their revenue, especially with how nickle and dimed its set up (with items not being account bound and even being sold gender specific of the same item, I even think you can permanently lose some cash shop housing items upon a demolition).
  • DeadSpockDeadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 403
    Been a mmorpg gamer since 2003 and few real life friends as well we started at same time none of us care at all about housing. I don't understand how so many people care about housing in a mmorpg. Do you like playing with dolls too? I'm in for the combat part or I would play sims if not.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    edited October 2017
    DeadSpock said:
    Been a mmorpg gamer since 2003 and few real life friends as well we started at same time none of us care at all about housing. I don't understand how so many people care about housing in a mmorpg. Do you like playing with dolls too? I'm in for the combat part or I would play sims if not.
    Has to do with being engaged in the world and having a place in the world over just "appearing" after a login screen.

Probably more for people who are more interested in the world aspect than just a "game".
    exile01
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

Sovrath said:

DeadSpock said:

Has to do with being engaged in the world and having a place in the world over just "appearing" after a login screen.

Probably more for people who are more interested in the world aspect than just a "game".

There's that and there's also the fact that certain mats are only exclusive to having a house as well since you can only garden if you have a house and FC's can do airship exploration missions which can bring in exclusive mats as well. So its a bit more than just cosmetic to some.
    SovrathJeroKane
    This game has far more serious problems other than housing for example FC are full and alive for a month when new content/expac comes out then you see 1-2 people online at most.
  • azurreiazurrei Member UncommonPosts: 332
    edited October 2017

DeadSpock said:

everything that is wrong with some of today's MMORPG gamers...it is a WORLD not a combat lobby. You are playing the wrong genre...
    DeadSpockdjnj2000
  • DoctorhooDoctorhoo Member UncommonPosts: 235
    Been playing FFXIV since 2.0 and yes the quality of what they did release was good, but it seems they have not layed all the cards on the table per patch. Nowadays they wait for the incremental patches to continue to release features - the next Raid content they said to give it another 2 weeks I'm fine with but was really hoping the PvP MOBA mode was going to be ready instead its coming out with 3.15. The game is good and people do come back to check to see what's new every 3-6 months or for big patches when the Free Company numbers rise but would like to see what SE is going to do keep people around more consistently.
    Doctorhoo said:
    Been playing FFXIV since 2.0 and yes the quality of what they did release was good, but it seems they have not layed all the cards on the table per patch. Nowadays they wait for the incremental patches to continue to release features - the next Raid content they said to give it another 2 weeks I'm fine with but was really hoping the PvP MOBA mode was going to be ready instead its coming out with 3.15. The game is good and people do come back to check to see what's new every 3-6 months or for big patches when the Free Company numbers rise but would like to see what SE is going to do keep people around more consistently.
    Unfortunately, Yoshida has stated in a few interviews that its not his intention to keep people playing for the entirety of patches. He just wants people to come back when they see something they like and take a break until the following patch if they don't like the content or get bored (paraphrased of course, but pretty much what he's said in the past). I mean to me its stupid but its his outlook and the cash shop supplements a lot of the lost revenue so until that takes a major hit then they'll keep doing what they are doing. It is funny that they update their cash shop monthly like clock work though.
  • QuarterStackQuarterStack Member RarePosts: 546
    edited October 2017

Xiaoki said:

EVERY single time? Not quite.

ESO introduced housing recently and there's been *no* such problem. You can buy one of every single house in the game, with no trouble, no limits, no restrictions. EQ2 has had housing widely available to players for over a decade. RIFT, Wildstar, and so on. LoTRO had a similar system in place about a decade before FFXIV, on far weaker hardware, and they somehow managed.

This is fairly unique - or at least very limited - to FFXIV because of the ridiculously short-sighted way they implemented housing. It's been a trainwreck since it was added, because Yoshi-P would rather double-down and add band-aids to a flawed design, than do the right thing by admitting he screwed up and actually fixing it. The closest he's come to admitting it was a screw-up was more of a thinly veiled self-congratulatory pat on the back about how they "didn't expect it to be so popular!". This is the same excuse they gave for why they weren't prepared for the influx of players at ARR's re-release. They seem to have a problem with gauging their own customers.

Every time they fall short on delivery of something, they spin it into a round-about success story for "how the game is exceeding their expectations!". And of course, the die-hard fans keep eating it up and regurgitating it.

I wonder how many more anniversaries Yoshida's going to make sure to remind everyone how he "saved FFXIV" until that cow's goodwill reserves are milked dry?

But I digress. This problem with housing is not wide-spread and not typical of any MMO with housing. This is the first time I've played a MMO whose housing system was so horribly designed and implemented that the same exact problem arises every time there's an update to it.
    zanfireJeroKane

Xiaoki said:

EVERY single time? Not quite.

ESO introduced housing recently and there's been *no* such problem. You can buy one of every single house in the game, with no trouble, no limits, no restrictions. EQ2 has had housing widely available to players for over a decade. RIFT, Wildstar, and so on. LoTRO had a similar system in place about a decade before FFXIV, on far weaker hardware, and they somehow managed.

This is fairly unique - or at least very limited - to FFXIV because of the ridiculously short-sighted way they implemented housing. It's been a trainwreck since it was added, because Yoshi-P would rather double-down and add band-aids to a flawed design, than do the right thing by admitting he screwed up and actually fixing it. The closest he's come to admitting it was a screw-up was more of a thinly veiled self-congratulatory pat on the back about how they "didn't expect it to be so popular!". This is the same excuse they gave for why they weren't prepared for the influx of players at ARR's re-release. They seem to have a problem with gauging their own customers.

Every time they fall short on delivery of something, they spin it into a round-about success story for "how the game is exceeding their expectations!". And of course, the die-hard fans keep eating it up and regurgitating it.

I wonder how many more anniversaries Yoshida's going to make sure to remind everyone how he "saved FFXIV" until that cow's goodwill reserves are milked dry?

But I digress. This problem with housing is not wide-spread and not typical of any MMO with housing. This is the first time I've played a MMO whose housing system was so horribly designed and implemented that the same exact problem arises every time there's an update to it.
    That and the community is pretty pissed that it was advertised as a feature which I honestly laughed when I first heard about it. Heck, they even were talking about it and showcasing it in their own segments during the fanfests which everyone should have known only a minority would get it. But then again, they made a separate post for 4.1 in their blog trying to hype that you can FINALLY have your companion and minion out at the same time, so I think they are trying to get all the victories they can.
  • exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    Housing is probably one of the worst features of MMOs.
    [Deleted User]DeadSpock
  • zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 969
    The reason any of this is an issue besides the obvious design choice is the fact this game quickly became about sitting in lobby areas queing up for events and turning it into basically a fashion show.

Most of this games carrot has become doing things just for aesthetic purposes. Housing is just another bigger form of this and people are losing their minds over it.

God I'm glad I quit this terrible game...
    DeadSpock
    edited October 2017

zanfire said:

The reason any of this is an issue besides the obvious design choice is the fact this game quickly became about sitting in lobby areas queing up for events and turning it into basically a fashion show.

Most of this games carrot has become doing things just for aesthetic purposes. Housing is just another bigger form of this and people are losing their minds over it.

God I'm glad I quit this terrible game...

I knew I wasn't alone in this I agree totally with zanfire Edit: to add to this in Destiny 2 also they have cool looking gear people go after but at least the cool looking ones offer different stats too like more resilience(defense) or health regeneration or mobility
    zanfire

azurrei said:

DeadSpock said:

everything that is wrong with some of today's MMORPG gamers...it is a WORLD not a combat lobby. You are playing the wrong genre...

You are in the wrong genre I have a game for you 2nd life or sims or mine craft go build your own house and call it a world lol
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    I like how housing is the only topic that comes out of FFXIV threads these days. Like there's nothing else to talk about in relation to it lol.