Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen - Squadron 42 Update

ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
From the RSI/CIG Weekly Newsletter October 13th, 2017

"....Squadron 42 will be the focus of our Holiday Livestream in December, where we will preview some gameplay and share our roadmap for its completion.

Our single player campaign, Squadron 42, shares a large amount of technology and content with Star Citizen and both games fuel each other. Technology built for Squadron 42 allows for a better experience in Star Citizen and technology for Star Citizen opens up opportunities that take Squadron 42 to another level.  Subsumption is an example of technology that is critical for both Star Citizen and Squadron 42. The Item 2.0 refactor and the Player Interaction Mode were essential for Star Citizen and it is now allowing new and varied gameplay in Squadron 42. Planet Tech, the Zone System and 64-bit precision allows us to expand the playscape for Squadron 42 to solar system scale.

We have a large team working on Squadron 42 and we’ve been making good progress towards achieving my goal to take the Wing Commander style narrative experience to the next level with first person gameplay that moves between foot, vehicles and incredible locations all rendered with a fluidity and quality that you normally only see in pre-rendered cinematic scenes. I am confident it is going to be worth the wait; a game that can hold its own with any other AAA story game.

I am excited to show you some of this in December. And until then I’ll see you at CitizenCon!

Chris Roberts"

http://mailchi.mp/cloudimperiumgames/meet-the-defender-of-the-banu-140549?e=d765129d31

Have fun

JamesGoblinConstantineMerusOctagon7711WalkinGlennandredocOdeezeeMaxBaconZandog

Comments

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    In many ways it's a surprisingly reserved statement about Squadron 42.

Where does this put the release date?
    Octagon7711
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Based on that statement i would not expect any major Squadron 42 information at CitizenCon.

Which would be a disappointment. Many people I know expected a SQ42 announcement in Frankfurt.

Do i detect Erin Roberts - SQ42 mastermind - behind this ? "We go live when we are ready...", curbing his brothers ambitions for CitizenCon down to a more realistic level ....

Seems like CitizenCon focusses on Alpha 3.0 and i would expect a "we go live for all with 3.0" announcement there.

Have fun

I understand it will be announced in December

--> "....and share our roadmap for its completion."

Yes, quite a reserved statement. That is why I think this sounds more like Erin Roberts, not Chris Roberts. Has a factual, realistic undertone, less of an exuberant tone.

Have fun
    ExcessionOctagon7711
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Erillion said:
    Based on that statement i would not expect any major Squadron 42 information at CitizenCon.

Which would be a disappointment. Many people I know expected a SQ42 announcement in Frankfurt.

Do i detect Erin Roberts - SQ42 mastermind - behind this ? "We go live when we are ready...", curbing his brothers ambitions for CitizenCon down to a more realistic level ....

Seems like CitizenCon focusses on Alpha 3.0 and i would expect a "we go live for all with 3.0" announcement there.

Have fun

I'd seen it confirmed that the holiday livestream will be focusing on SQ42 rather than CitizenCon https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/769nm0/squadron_42_will_be_the_focus_of_our_holiday/

CitCon details are here https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/citcon-featured-content/16174-CitizenCon-2947-Details

JamesGoblin
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    So, did RSI make this decision because
     a) They've got so much other exciting stuff they want to show at CitizenCon, or
     b) They can't show anything exciting about SQ42 during CitizenCon?

I can't bring myself to believe into the first alternative.
    OdeezeeZandog

Vrika said:
    So, did RSI make this decision because
     a) They've got so much other exciting stuff they want to show at CitizenCon, or
     b) They can't show anything exciting about SQ42 during CitizenCon?

I can't bring myself to believe into the first alternative.
    I think they have something for SQ42, but it is not yet quite ready for primetime. To avoid a repeat of last years' last minute NO GO decision and having a team desperately trying to work on two things at the same time for a single event, they seem to have decided to split the announcements (Alpha 3.0 at CitizenCon and SQ42 at holiday livestream). Seems to me that CIG is able to learn.

Have fun
    JamesGoblin
  • hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    It seems they are trying to avoid the mess from last year when everybody was expecting a SQ42 announcement, probably even a release date, and then got basically nothing.

Managing people's expectations is half the game, which would not be a problem if they were not at the same time constantly trying to create a hype to keep money flowing. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

But right now they seem to be saving some SQ42 hype to not tap it at the same time as SC 3.0 hype. Would be wasted hype, if you still need to keep things boiling for a few more years.
    CoticJamesGoblinOrinorisgelOctagon7711
  • CoticCotic Member UncommonPosts: 268
    It seems quite clear to me that they are trying to inform people not to expect too much (yet).
    The incorporation of new technology and features requires a rework of existing technology and features as well as a rework the script to incorporate all these new features.

Expectation management is a strange notion to hear from CIG.
    ExcessionOctagon7711Zandog
  • OrinoriOrinori Member RarePosts: 751
    Good news!
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    SQ 42 the gift that keeps on giving pretty sure they did the same thing last year.
    Odeezee
  • kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 Member RarePosts: 565
    NO GO
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Doesn't say anything about the state of SQ42 - other than it won't be finished in October! 

From a promotional perspective it makes no sense to talk about 3.0 and SQ42 at the same time.

Talking about the two at different times is worth far more free publicity $$$s.
    Talonsin
    edited October 2017
    gervaise1 said:
    Doesn't say anything about the state of SQ42 - other than it won't be finished in October! 

From a promotional perspective it makes no sense to talk about 3.0 and SQ42 at the same time.

Talking about the two at different times is worth far more free publicity $$$s.
    From a promotional perspective it makes sense to place something really impressive in CitizenCon. It's their main even for the year, and having something in CitizenCon is like +50% buff to media and fan attention compared to releasing the info on some mostly unknown livestream in December.

If they have something other really impressive during CitizenCon, then it won't say anything about SQ 42's state. If they don't have something really good in CitizenCon, then it would tell us that they've got nothing impressive they are able to show SQ42 included.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Erillion said:

Yes, quite a reserved statement. That is why I think this sounds more like Erin Roberts, not Chris Roberts. Has a factual, realistic undertone, less of an exuberant tone.

Have fun
    I doubt they'll provide a target delivery date in December.

Sharing the roadmap to completion sounds more like a list of outstanding features and tasks and the order they'll be worked on.

Perhaps I've been jaded by CUs endless map to beta with no actual dates.

I guess we'll find out soon. 
    ConstantineMerusJamesGoblinBeezerbeez

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited October 2017
    Kyleran said:
    Erillion said:

Have fun
    I doubt they'll provide a target delivery date in December.

Sharing the roadmap to completion sounds more like a list of outstanding features and tasks and the order they'll be worked on.

Perhaps I've been jaded by CUs endless map to beta with no actual dates.

I guess we'll find out soon. 
    Even if they would share some estimated date, it would mean nothing.

They've got a long history of making estimates like Star Citizen release in 2014, first episode of Squadron 42 release in 2015, Star Citizen release in 2016, Alpha 3.0 release in 2016, etc. At this point an estimation from them isn't worth anything.

If they'd provide a firm release date instead of estimate it would be different, but if they were going to do something like that then I think they'd try everything in their power to make it main feature of CitizenCon. Roadmap is just fancy word for yet another plan.
    JamesGoblinKyleranMadFrenchie

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367
    Erillion said:

Have fun
    I am sorry, man.... But Roadmaps from CIG are like wings for Pigs...useless. If CIG deadlines were dart boards, Helen Keller would have better aim.

I am happy to wait until its done, but to pretend anything from CIG with the words 'Roadmap' or 'Schedule' has as much value as solar panels on the dark side of the moon is laughable....probably more so then my weak jokes.
    JamesGoblinKefoOdeezee

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

You DO know that solar panels on the dark side of the moon are fully functional, do you not? 

Just because WE cannot see that side does not stop the sun shining on it most of the time ;-) 

Have fun
    Orinori
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Erillion said:
    You DO know that solar panels on the dark side of the moon are fully functional, do you not? 

Just because WE cannot see that side does not stop the sun shining on it most of the time ;-) 

Have fun

Not sure using solar panels is a good idea, if I remember right most if not all the company's that came to the for front a few years back went brankrupt and the higher ups ran with the tax payers money in the solar panel industry. Not saying CIG would or anyone else.
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367
    Erillion said:

Have fun
    Yes, they literally work...half the time? Was I being too generous? :-)

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

spankybus said:
    Erillion said:

Have fun
    They DO work all the time.

If the sun does not shine, they get a lot of reflected light from Earth.

You can also place them in a crater near the pole on the dark side. 100 % illumination.

Like SQ42 ... do it the smart way ... and it works. 100 % of the time. At optimal performance. Even if it takes some time to get there. Like the solar panels on the lunar poles on the rim of a dark side crater.

Have fun
    Gdemami
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    The good news is that they answered the questions about SQ42 before the convention so no one will be asking about it or be disappointed if nothing is said.  The bad news is that they will be changing the SQ42 information from, Coming in 2017, to coming in 2018, or probably just to Coming Soon.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    rodarin said:
    SQ 42 the gift that keeps on giving pretty sure they did the same thing last year.
    Last year CR said a live demo was a no go when he was on the stage at the convention.  It really soured the mood somewhat.  He probably wants to avoid that this time.
    ErillionTalonsin

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    The good news is that they answered the questions about SQ42 before the convention so no one will be asking about it or be disappointed if nothing is said.  The bad news is that they will be changing the SQ42 information from, Coming in 2017, to coming in 2018, or probably just to Coming sometime before the end of the world.
    Fixed that lol
    Octagon7711
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    The roadmap to a road that never ends, apparently.
    Odeezee
    edited October 2017
    Erillion said:
    spankybus said:
    Erillion said:

Have fun
    They DO work all the time.

If the sun does not shine, they get a lot of reflected light from Earth.

You can also place them in a crater near the pole on the dark side. 100 % illumination.

Like SQ42 ... do it the smart way ... and it works. 100 % of the time. At optimal performance. Even if it takes some time to get there. Like the solar panels on the lunar poles on the rim of a dark side crater.
    Moon's rotation around its own axis and rotation around Earth both take same amount of time, and as a result same side of the Moon is always visible from Earth.

Which means Dark side of the Moon is never visible from Earth and never gets any light reflected from Earth either.
    Octagon7711KefoSlyLoKGdemami