Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The 10 Greatest MMORPG Heroes of All Time - The List - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited October 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageThe 10 Greatest MMORPG Heroes of All Time - The List - MMORPG.com

For our next two lists, we’ll be diving into the NPCs of our favorite MMORPGs to find the best heroes and villains across the genre. This week, we’re starting with the good guys, picking our 10 favorite MMORPG heroes of all time.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Green Jesus always wins. Every time I hear Thrall in WoW it reminds me of how much I miss Metzen's Blizzcon opening monologues.
  • winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 737
    edited October 2017
    10: Mankrik (World of Warcraft)
    9: Razum-dar (Elder Scrolls Online)
    8: Satele Shan (SWTOR)
    7: Wise Old Man (Runescape)
    6: Hk-47 (Kotor / Swtor)
    5: Milhouse Manastorm (WoW)
    4: Gandalf (lotro)
    3: Varian Wrynn (WoW)
    2: Jace Malcom (Swtor)
    1: Varok Saurfang (WoW)

Thrall is off the hero list of mine after he cheated against Garrosh in a traditional orcish duel (Mak'gora). He even admitted it in Legion in your personal story as a Shaman, and the Elements have also begun to abandon him for that very reason.

Now he's off in some exile trying to beg for their forgiveness and rightfully so.
    RyuushimaJimbobausMeowinger
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited October 2017
    So much good and light and altruism...just...boring. Gimme my gray characters in the Lawful Neutral / True Neutral / Chaotic Neutral line any day. ;) At least Revan's there. :D
    Post edited by SBFord on
    ConstantineMerusPanther2103Azaron_NightbladeBeezerbeezMeowinger

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• KalebGraysonKalebGrayson Member RarePosts: 430

SBFord said:

So much good and light and altruism...just...boring. Gimme my gray characters in the Lawful Neutral / True Neutral / Chaotic Neutral line any day. ;) At least Revan's there. :D

"Soon you will learn that Evil will always triumph, because Good is Dumb!" - Dark Helmet
    SirLornTsiya

SBFord said:

"Soon you will learn that Evil will always triumph, because Good is Dumb!" - Dark Helmet
    Didn't say evil. I like characters that are conflicted between "good" and "bad" choices. Gray is the way to go. :D
    Po_ggSirLorn[Deleted User]Meowinger

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• DaranarDaranar Member UncommonPosts: 392
    How does a site dedicated to MMORPGs not include Tunare's Chosen, Firiona Vie, in their list of Greatest MMORPG Heroes Of All Time? Forget the past much? Also Antonia Bayle isn't in EQ1, she isn't alive nor even a thought by her ancestors yet. SMH.
    Jimbobaus

If I want a world in which people can purchase success and power with cash, I'll play Real Life. Keep Virtual Worlds Virtual!

edited October 2017
    Daranar said:
    How does a site dedicated to MMORPGs not include Tunare's Chosen, Firiona Vie, in their list of Greatest MMORPG Heroes Of All Time? Forget the past much? Also Antonia Bayle isn't in EQ1, she isn't alive nor even a thought by her ancestors yet. SMH.
    How about we are purposely obtuse to give folks like you a reason to grumble and add substantive content to the thread? We're tricky that way. ;)
    DaranarConstantineMeruswingoodMitaraCazriel

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• DaranarDaranar Member UncommonPosts: 392
    I feel like that wasn't what you were doing, but beautiful response LOL.  Love it.
    SirLorn

If I want a world in which people can purchase success and power with cash, I'll play Real Life. Keep Virtual Worlds Virtual!

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited October 2017
    Way too many from wow for my taste... :wink:

Also, the "entire cast of TSW" was a bit odd, since no "good guys" there, more like what Suzie seeks, the grays. The closest to good guy would be Khalid el Sayad (a.k.a. desert Gandalf :smiley: ), but he is only there for the middle part.
    Actually, that's true for the whole game, the other side is what drives the narrative, and the player's side (the ones closer to the "good guys" term) is just reacts and is always a step behind. So if the list with villains is up, I hope Lilith will have a nice place on it - even if she is also partly gray, and not a bad gal. Marquard however, now that is a guy I'd love to kick in the butt...

Gandalf is a nice pick for LotRO, we don't have much interaction with him, but without a doubt he is behind the entire story about Ring-carrying.

If Statesman is there, so should be Defender, he is much more in the center of CO than Statesman was for CoH. (he is in the entire storyline, gives many quests, and even fights alongside the players a few times)

edit: on a second thought, Conan from AoC? He is on the throne of Aquilonia at the time of the game, so he has all his heroic adventures in the bag already, and (more or less) a good guy :wink:
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    I like the list. A lot of WoW characters but honestly that's one thing I always liked from WoW was the well built characters. I don't tend to remember many from other games mainly because the annoying characters always stick in my head for some reason. 
    BruceYee
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Daranar said:

Well you can argue all you want, but Google agrees with Bill :)

Character Google Hits
    "Firiona Vie" 147,000
    "Vol'jin" 1,780,000
    "The Prophet" ESO 320,000
    Hildebrand FF 394,000
    "Revan" SWTOR 504,000
    rytlock 186,000
    "The Statesman" 607,000
    khadgar 768,000
    Gandalf 21,900,000
    "Antonia Bayle" 211,000
    "Thrall" wow 440,000
    Daranar

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Antonia.. who?
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    You call that heroes, HEROES??!!

Where...
    is...
    my...
    Hildebrand Manderville???!!!

Now THAT is a hero.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• GalaaGalaa Member UncommonPosts: 32
    edited October 2017
    The greatest hero in MMO should be Sergeant Slate from EQ1, for the number of times he killed evil aligned players in East Common Tunnels. Love those days where you pull him to the tunnels and let him run wild with the evil players AFKing there!
  • XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927
    edited October 2017
    Hmmm Thrall... Pretty sure that Thrall should be thankful to one guy for being alive :) -

Also we can't forget Arthas and illidan... Although they kinda play the role of the villains what leads them down that path is the desire to help their people.
  • DhaenonDhaenon Member UncommonPosts: 150
    I will always remember old school Thrall. "Have you come to serve the Horde?"
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Where is Prince Ruric? He was 400% more suicidal... I mean brave... then anyone on that list.
    EvilGeekCazriel
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

DMKano said:

The players are the heroes - these are some lore dolts that i have never seen do anything heroic in actual game.

If these were real heroes why arent they defeating in-game raids and end game content?

Or did a 1000+ hour grind for gear?

heroes me arse

I can see the barbarian at the tavern bragging that he is the world greatest hero since he spent years grinding up his gear. Conan is a wuss, he just use any sword and a loincloth, no grinding there. ;)
    esc-joconnor
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    But khadgar is a pretty bad wizard.

Cazriel

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• DavodtheTuttDavodtheTutt Member UncommonPosts: 415
    Pleased to see Statesman here. I remember being on the mission to rescue him... seems very long ago now.
    wingood
  • SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498
    I loved CoH but Statesman was even more bland than Superman. Add in his comic-book-added-background and he is Zeus... wtf. Almost any other hero from CoH or villain from CoV would be better suited for this list.
  • MitaraMitara Member UncommonPosts: 755
    Google says: The Beast AO = 10.900.000 hits.. :)

I also looked up William Morphy MMORPG... 348000 hits... (not as big a monster apparently)
  • WedlenWedlen Member UncommonPosts: 146
    Marshal Trahearn
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142

SBFord said:

What makes a man turn neutral? Lust for gold? Power? Or were you just born with heart full of neutrality?
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I looked up the definition before making my decision and it is a near tossup between 2 characters and both from the same game FFX,Yuna and Tidus meet the definition of Heroes to the tee.

No others characters jump out at me as being very noticeable heroes.Yuna's entire existence throughout the game was to sacrifice herself to save mankind/the world and being a good role model throughout.
    Tidus was sort of the character the poster above me wants to see,he was willing to fight and kill his own father to save Yuna and the world and would befriend anyone and help anyone.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.