Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Latest Wave of 6-Month Bans Rolls Out Targeting Third Party Tool Users - World of Warcraft - MMORPG.

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited October 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageLatest Wave of 6-Month Bans Rolls Out Targeting Third Party Tool Users - World of Warcraft - MMORPG.com

World of Warcraft News - Blizzard has rolled out another wave of 6-month bans in World of Warcraft that specifically targets players using third party programs to "enhance" game play. Players were banned that used bots to automate game play, teleport hacks and combat rotation scripts. Notifications were sent to affected players via email, a copy of which was posted to /r/WoW.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited October 2017
    Glad I don't use any of that stuff. It's hammering time!!!
    Image result for its hammering time animated gif

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    I didn't know people still used bots in WoW to be honest. I remember back when people did it for fishing and for grinding when that was relevant to level. I'm glad they are still taking this seriously and not just letting it run rampant. The thread you linked looks like every single thread any time someone gets banned for doing something. "Oh I never touched bot software once! HOW DID I GET BANNED WTF, MAYBE MY FRIEND INSTALLED IT"
  • GreyhavenGreyhaven Member UncommonPosts: 38
    Why would anyone do this the game is on autopilot as is?
    deniter
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    You can't ban people for combat scripts.. it's the same as having a keyboard with macro functions... but apparently they are allowed and not a problem..
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    You can't ban people for combat scripts.. it's the same as having a keyboard with macro functions... but apparently they are allowed and not a problem..
    Automated scripts performing rotations / priorities are forbidden. Addons like Hedd helping players execute rotations by indicating them the next optimal spell / action are ok.

Shodanas said:

Automated scripts performing rotations / priorities are forbidden. Addons like Hedd helping players execute rotations by indicating them the next optimal spell / action are ok.

Stating the rule doesn't stop it from being unreasonable when you can get the same function from a keyboard but they don't get banned. Exactly the same thing.
    jimmywolf
  • ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933

Shodanas said:

Stating the rule doesn't stop it from being unreasonable when you can get the same function from a keyboard but they don't get banned. Exactly the same thing.
    You can't macro rotations on a keyboard since you can't create multiple "castsequence" commands in one macro in the game, not since Cataclysm if i recall correct. If you use a 3rd party software to do it then you'll get banned.
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited October 2017
    I doubt a person would get banned for running a single macro, Blizzard from experience doesn't ban a person unless they are absolutely sure a person is cheating, and if you file an appeal they actually invetigate it unlike some companies at least from previous experience when my account was hacked they returned it the same day and restored my account twice it was a add-on with a keylogger.

In simple its possible to bot using a Logitech Mouse or keyboard with software, or even hardware for that matter I don't see blizzard banning for using such software or everyone would be banned, instead its people who automate game-play for example...

A person runs an exact same spell rotation every time, or casts fire-ball every 60 seconds at the exact same milisecond, they can see this server side and issue a ban, or if a user fails to respond to a GM, there are even add-ons that notify you with a raid siren if a GM Contacts you for that matter so a loud speaker with that works out well, but generally speaking setting a few macros as long as you are there at the keyboard playing isn't going to get you banned I do this in games all the time like ESO, I rebind my keys, or other games for that matter.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Good Job Blizz............ Squash the Cheating Scum
    Alomar
    edited October 2017
    Torval said:
    Shodanas said:

Shodanas said:

You can't macro rotations on a keyboard since you can't create multiple "castsequence" commands in one macro in the game, not since Cataclysm if i recall correct. If you use a 3rd party software to do it then you'll get banned.
    I believe he is referring to hardware macros. Some hardware allows for advanced scripting and not just simple input sequences. It's possible to script a keypress, include a delay, a second input, etc.

It's nowhere nearly as powerful as software is though because there is a limit to what you can assign. There are only so many keys and even boards with extra macro keys only have a few. Additionally cheat software often takes game feedback into account so it helps choosing and executing scripts.

Even though the two are similar their not equivalent in scope and power. Hardware macros don't hack the game client, enable teleports, etc. Also some games can detect scripted execution so it's possible to be banned using hardware macro scripting. It depends on the game.

A six month vacation seems appropriate for a first offense, but not after. If people don't lose their accounts at some point then who cares? At this point in the expansion how much of a punishment is a 6 month break?
    I'm not saying hacking the client and teleporting and all that stuff isn't worth a ban.. of course it is.

I mean.. a combat rotation, using something like autohotkey, is simply just relaying multiple key presses from one button in order.. the same as a 'hardware' macro keyboard can do, even though it's really software controlling it still. The scope is the same. You can edit the hardware macro commands using the software for the keyboard to fine tune it.

Assuming they are banning for using basic autohotkey macros that just emulate having a keyboard with macro buttons. It's not very specific.