Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Square gives the middle finger to paying veterans, again.

IfrianMMOIfrianMMO Member UncommonPosts: 252
Square Enix is making some changes to some of its veteran rewards, the item bonuses awarded based on how long you keep up an active subscription to Final Fantasy XIV.

Cloud´s attire, previously rank 10 with 720 subscription days, has been shortened to 60 days
Zidane´s attire, previously Rank 13 with 1080 subscription days, has been shortened to 150 days.
Wild Rose´s attire, previously Rank 11 with 840 subscription days, has been shortened to 240 days.
Leonhart´s attire, previously Rank 14 with 1440 subscription days, has been shortened to 330 days.

Nothing like being a day release subscriber and managing to unlock some exclusive fashion for your loyalty just to have it devalued and given to pretty much everyone else and their mom a few months later.

At this point i am not sure if i am dealing with Square or with EA.

KyleranAsm0deusXatshd_20Viper482MrMelGibsonestevan274

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    IfrianMMO said:
    Square Enix is making some changes to some of its veteran rewards, the item bonuses awarded based on how long you keep up an active subscription to Final Fantasy XIV.

Cloud´s attire, previously rank 10 with 720 subscription days, has been shortened to 60 days
    Zidane´s attire, previously Rank 13 with 1080 subscription days, has been shortened to 150 days.
    Wild Rose´s attire, previously Rank 11 with 840 subscription days, has been shortened to 240 days.
    Leonhart´s attire, previously Rank 14 with 1440 subscription days, has been shortened to 330 days.

Nothing like being a day release subscriber and managing to unlock some exclusive fashion for your loyalty just to have it devalued and given to pretty much everyone else and their mom a few months later.

You sound exactly like someone I met in EVE a year or so ago who was upset when CCP started selling skill extactors/injectors. 

He felt in cheapend his "achievement" of always have an EVE account (and only one account) since Day 1.

Even stranger, in all that time playing EVE he had never joined a player corp nor done anything but solo mine and craft.

He could build a Titan, except he never went to null sec where he could actually  manufacture one.

[Deleted User]Octagon7711MrMelGibsonestevan274

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• IfrianMMOIfrianMMO Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Kyleran said:
    IfrianMMO said:

You sound exactly like someone I met in EVE a year or so ago who was upset when CCP started selling skill extactors/injectors. 

He felt in cheapend his "achievement" of always have an EVE account (and only one account) since Day 1.

Even stranger, in all that time playing EVE he had never joined a player corp nor done anything but solo mine and craft.

He could build a Titan, except he never went to null sec where he could actually  manufacture one.

I think the comparison is a bit unfair.
    As i see it, skill injectors are catch up methods for new players to be able to compete.

It would be the equivalent to new patches bringing new tome/catch up gear.
    I never opposed to that because i understand it´s necessary for the flow of the game.

Those costumes, however, were there unique and exclusively to reward long time subscribers for paying for so long, and they are not really a vital game feature.

They were a "badge" that basically indicated that the player was a long time veteran.

Not only that, but the costumes and other veteran rewards obviously served as an enticement to  make players not unsuscribe even when they were too busy to play often because it still unlocked new stuff that you wanted for your account.

And now this has been given away for peanuts.
    Veteran fashion is given to non veterans, it makes no sense and it was unnecessary.

Not like FF lacks other costumes to offer to new customers.....

unfilteredJWViper482estevan274

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    It's a costume....could you BE any more "special snowflake" about this?
    Tokkentomahawk1930[Deleted User]Nyghthowler2d8bitEponyxDamorViper482estevan274
    edited October 2017
    It's a costume....could you BE any more "special snowflake" about this?

I will never understand why people use the term "special snowflake" in a negative way as if it was a valid argument when talking of fashion or customization.

Of course that everyone wants to be a special snowflake, that is why games offer every time deeper and more detailed ways to customize your character and make it stand out.

Insulting someone for wanting to stand out or taking pride in their character is ridiculous.

Our uniqueness as a person isn't measured by what pixels we have in a video game, but our uniqueness as a character is and that is part of the experience.

And in the end, i wonder who is more selfish,  someone who wants to keep something achieved at it´s peak value or someone who wants the same achievement that the first person has without doing what the first person did.
    unfilteredJWViper482estevan274

• VyntVynt Member UncommonPosts: 757
    I don't see a problem with this. Most likely they will add new veteran rewards for the longer sub times they just reduced from. That has been my experience with previous games that did exactly the same thing.

It basically meant I just got more stuff lol.
    klash2defNyghthowlerMrMelGibsonestevan274
  • BalianWolfieBalianWolfie Member UncommonPosts: 240
    Vynt said:
    ... Most likely ...

Most likely not likely mostly likely to happen but never happened.

• XatshXatsh Member RarePosts: 451
    Are ppl really pissed at this.

I am more pissed that every 9 months, Dungeon gear basically replaces top tier raid gear. That stuff is vanity crap why do ppl care?
    klash2defMrMelGibson
  • GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    Maybe they have new things in mind to replace them down the road. But if they remove the veteran reward system entirely, I wouldn't care. It's not twisting my arm to re-sub to get glamour appearances, minions and shit. 
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I feel this is VERY situational.the term VETS pretty much says they already have the rewards and this is trying to include "less alienation"more players,imo a good thing.

The borderline players could however have a grudge because they might be so close,waited sooo long and now players 2 years behind them can get the rewards just as fast.

I felt Square's bad management many years ago and it really bothered me.They dumbed down the entire game of FFXI to support making more sales in their expansion packs.

If one pays attention to these very forums,they would have seen players constantly asking "various games" do i need to buy previous expansions to get newer content.Well Square is one of those that doesn't mind ruining the integrity of a game to make sales and that like i said really bothers me.

big picture....bring more people on board,bring lesser players up to date with rewards,Square being a sellout,some ups and downs in  their decisions.

estevan274

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• unfilteredJWunfilteredJW Member RarePosts: 388
    I can't imagine being this small of a person.
    tomahawk1930Ghavriggklash2defKajidourdenkallensViper482MrMelGibson

I'm a MUDder. I play MUDs.

Current: Dragonrealms

• tomahawk1930tomahawk1930 Member UncommonPosts: 43
    The entitlement is off the charts.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    This is one of the more weenie posts I've seen on MMORPG.
    Is this real? Or for entertainment purposes only?
    MrMelGibson
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    It's vet rewards. Who cares. I have all of those rewards, and I don't care. Maybe it will mean they will add more rewards for people who have long sub times again, I don't even use any of them really. They are just nice things you get for subbing, but honestly none of them are even really worth having. 
    Viper482
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited October 2017
    There's nothing really wrong with it per se, but they really didn't give people that much to compensate. I'd say giving the longer term subscribers like vouchers to buy Cash Shop stuff or something every month after the 330 days would have been fair, because now there's not really to keep the long term players subbed unless they have a house and after the incident, people are acting like they are homeless, so it looks like people have even less of a reason to stay subbed until 4.2 which adds more wards (and only adds a bandaid fix to the real problem) but will more than likely see even less subs after it.
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    I agree with the OP about this.  These were rewards to give to people that have basically supported the game the entire time.  They are nothing but costumes, but they had meaning to the people that earned them by being a loyal customer.

Think about it like this how does it feel to get a job making 15 dollars an hour and working that job for years to have someone come in making more than the person that has worked for the company for years that has no experience, which happens everyday.  It is a slap in the face to the hard worker that was there all along.  That is the feeling that is being portrayed here. 

The value of the loyalty of the customer has been reduced by this.  You don't take something that was a reward for loyalty and devalue it this way.  If you want to make changes like this you stop giving out those rewards altogether making them more valuable while creating new rewards that are easier to obtain.
    Viper482
    I love how some people feel that attacking me on a personal level repeatedly over my thoughts on a videogame issue somehow places them in a superior moral position.

Anyway,  the veteran rewards were awesome in that it gave long time subscribers something to look forward to, even if it was a little wittle costume.

All of you who claim this is a small matter do not seem to understand that precisely because it was such a small matter, it feels so unfair and pointless to have it taken away.

The FFverse has so many thousands of costumes available that they could have given new players something new to look forward to without touching the veteran stuff.

Especially annoying was the half explanation Square gave about this change, about how new players were finding it "increasingly difficult" to obtain said costumes because it would take them years.

Well, you mean to say it did not take us years?
    Did i miss something and the last 4 years passed faster for us than they do for new people?

In all, what bothers me the most is that this entire thing reeks of lazy and of whiner pleasing and above all, completely unnecessary.

Viper482

• NyghthowlerNyghthowler Member UncommonPosts: 392
    IfrianMMO said:
    I love how some people feel that attacking me on a personal level repeatedly over my thoughts on a videogame issue somehow places them in a superior moral position.

Anyway,  the veteran rewards were awesome in that it gave long time subscribers something to look forward to, even if it was a little wittle costume.

All of you who claim this is a small matter do not seem to understand that precisely because it was such a small matter, it feels so unfair and pointless to have it taken away.

The FFverse has so many thousands of costumes available that they could have given new players something new to look forward to without touching the veteran stuff.

Especially annoying was the half explanation Square gave about this change, about how new players were finding it "increasingly difficult" to obtain said costumes because it would take them years.

Did i miss something and the last 4 years passed faster for us than they do for new people?

In all, what bothers me the most is that this entire thing reeks of lazy and of whiner pleasing and above all, completely unnecessary.

I haven't read any response that attacked you personally; just the majority of them disagree with your position.
    Things change in MMOs over time. They always have, and they always will. If you're this upset over this change, I hate to see what your response will be when you've spent months grinding for an item and you finally get it then a month later it is made irrelevant by a change to the game.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    IfrianMMO said:

I haven't read any response that attacked you personally; just the majority of them disagree with your position.
    Things change in MMOs over time. They always have, and they always will. If you're this upset over this change, I hate to see what your response will be when you've spent months grinding for an item and you finally get it then a month later it is made irrelevant by a change to the game.
    Lol this actually happens a lot in FFXIV. Every 6 months like clockwork to be exact.
  • eruexeeruexe Member UncommonPosts: 40
    its just costumes ffs...
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    They are doing it to incentive players into staying subbed, by adding more realistic milestones for them to reach. Does it suck for those that have been there since the start? Sure. But it's a good move for them when it comes to reeling in subs. Or in keeping them, rather.
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibson

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• linadragonlinadragon Member RarePosts: 589
    Maybe they have plans to replace some of these items with new items. Jesus at your self entitlement. 
    edited October 2017

Maybe they have plans to replace some of these items with new items. Jesus at your self entitlement. 
    They do not plan to do it, they already said so, in fact, the last costume was the last reward they will ever make related to sub time, as per their own claim.

And i do not think you even understand what "Self entitlement" is.

Self entitlement is when you believe that you are owed something that either is not owed to you or has not been specifically been said that is owed to you, or when you demand something that you do not have.

But in my case, it was Square that said "you guys deserve this as a thank you for the long time you have been subscribed"  and enticed us to keep subscribing for said rewards, and then took it back.

To want to preserve something that was given , paid for and entitled to by the developer is not being "self entitled"

It would be self entitlement if i demanded further rewards of if i had demanded that they produce said rewards to begin with when there were none to be had.

If you want self-entitlement, talk about the players that demanded those costumes without having to subscribe for the same amount of time and complained til Square decided to please them.

THAT is self entitlement,  wanting something you are not entitled to and demanding it til you get it without it´s original requirements.

ConstantineMerusestevan274

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,172
    Changes in how, when, and what incentives are offered in MMORPGs aren't unusual. As such, having a game you play make such a change won't generate much sympathy.
  • d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    edited October 2017
    I've got 99 problems, but that ain't one of 'em.
    JamesGoblinOctagon7711Viper482MrMelGibson

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Would you rather have your special shiny or a game that is vibrant and growing with new subs?  It is low effort for big rewards for them.  If you are going to leave over a costume you probably are not happy with the game anyway.  Most probably say "well that sucks" and continue playing.  So it is really not a loss for Square.
    Jamar870MrMelGibson