Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Epic Cracks Its Knuckles Ready to Fight As It Takes Two Players to Court for Cheating - Fortnite - M

2»

Comments

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    As a player I read this and think "Good, nail the cheaters to a tree."

But as a parent I read this and think "omg what if one of my kids found a way to get themselves sued playing a video game?" Something to add to my closet full of anxieties. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Amathe said:
    As a player I read this and think "Good, nail the cheaters to a tree."

But as a parent I read this and think "omg what if one of my kids found a way to get themselves sued playing a video game?" Something to add to my closet full of anxieties. 

I don't think they would litigate against someone who is just using it.  I think this is an attempt to strike at the source of these particular cheats. 

For an end-user the worst they could do is Perma-ban/IP Block.
    [Deleted User]
  • drachennwolfdrachennwolf Member UncommonPosts: 23
    Oh man I need this cheat now. Good luck suing everyone who plays your shitty game!
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Anyone who gets banned nine times is asking for it.  It's saying they won't stop and no one can make them cause they'll just come back again for number ten and for as long as they want after that.  Ignore it and you have more people doing the same.  
    Dullahan[Deleted User]

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Eh, in a litigation-happy society, this seems like something that would best be handled outside of courts, even if there's criminal penalties involved.

I see that there has to be a precedent set, but we should quickly move from court battles to merely identifying and assessing scheduled fines for offenders.

As Kano mentioned, it won't ever stop chesting, but I get you have to try.
    [Deleted User]

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    "... banned 9 times..." lol. How many bans does it take to get a permanent one? Inquiring minds want to know.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505

dave6660 said:

Do they really think this will deter anyone from cheating?

It's reminds me of when the RIAA went on lawsuit spree for pirating music.  Has piracy stopped or even slowed down?

In the end the only people who will win here are the lawyers.

Comparing the whole world(because pirating was/is done worldwide by tens of millions daily) with a game's playerbase isn't the best example.

Honestly to me this look like PR and nothing else. Suing 2 people that are based in the US couldn't be more irrelevant when you have in mind that as it was already mentioned the biggest companies that provide hacks and whatnot are usually based in Russia/China or other places that spit on DMCA and any other laws-alike.

Also I'm surprised that people think that this will deter American companies from offering hacks... It takes 2 minutes to build a site and cover all your tracks, so that they can't find out where you actually are. With cryptocurrencies and a ton of companies that offer offshore solutions I don't see how this will have any effect at all.
    They arent trying to discourage the hacking sites,  like you said, they can't be stopped.

They are trying to make an example of the players, in order to make other players think twice before using hacks. 

Who wants to take a chance you might get tagged? As Torval said,  your career could be significantly affected, just the accusation likely would result in my employer firing me.
    [Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044

SBFord said:

diabel said:

Taking players to court for cheating in games... overkill much? It's a game.

If you read the full article, they're both associated with a cheat site as staff members.

"Epic made clear that the company would aggressively pursue players who chat in Battle Royale"

Taken to court for "chatting"? lolz, they joy of proof reading.

On topic: I hope the bas***ds get nailed to the wall in a jail cell. This scum needs to stop spoiling games people have paid hard earned cash for !
  • kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044
    edited October 2017

diabel said:

Taking players to court for cheating in games... overkill much? It's a game.

Your attitude is totally wrong. These idiots spoil games for legit players who have paid good money for the product in question, not to mention cheaters accepted a contract of conduct before playing. Damn right they should go to court and hopefully jail. People like you need to start taking this stuff seriously.

You need your head banging against a wall if you think this is overkill. I know this loses studios money, I for one do not buy any competitive PvP games for this exact reason, ever, for the simple reason it's never a level playing field.
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    edited October 2017
    Make a fun game, and players won't cheat because then it would be boring. The other issue is challenge. If the problem is cheaters are cheating because the game is too hard or unfair to those who may not be good at the game, that is a problem with how the game is developed.

They should have made it like Battlefront 2, which is very fair to both experts and beginners. It will cut down cheating a lot, especially because of how some of the cards are set up.

A game that gets heavily cheated in isn't a problem with the cheaters, its a problem with the game itself. If the game is no fun without cheats, that is a game problem. If the game is too hard without cheats, again that is a game problem.

While battlefront 2 will likely have hackers (EVERY multiplayer game does), the way the game is setup it will have very few cheaters. Because anyone new or old can pick up the game and do as good as anyone else AND its a ton of fun.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    It's big business, and assholes like this damage their profits by ruining the experience for their honest players. They even take it one step further by profiting from their actions. So hell yeah, sue them. I hope they wind up with a nice debt for their actions :smiley:

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

Besides, I believe you can already get punished for doing stuff like this in Korea.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    As far as I know the Challenger bracket of League of Legends is minimally influenced by cheating, so saying it's impossible to prevent is a big short sighted.
    edited October 2017
    http://www.pcgamer.com/south-korea-makes-cheating-in-online-games-an-actual-crime/ there.

And that's their government. Not some stand alone company.
    Kyleranforcelima

• MadCoderOneMadCoderOne Member UncommonPosts: 220
    good for them