Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I hate loot boxes and so does Francis.

NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

Boycott these crappy gambling loot boxes. They suck!

NERD RAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

Asm0deusSlapshot1188[Deleted User]YashaXBruceYee[Deleted User]ConstantineMerus

Comments

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    I love boogie but hate francis!  But I'm glad he's healthy enough to return to that persona.
    [Deleted User]Allerleirauh
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Its not every game in 2017.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    lmao
     wadda i git !! Digital Bullshit !!!
    Pretty sure his blood pressure is rising near epidemic proportions.Going to bust an artery.

sons a bitches sons a bitches lol.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited October 2017
    Asheram said:
    Almost every triple A title in the past 5 years has microtransactions (which is the category I'm tossing loot crates into) on top of DLC. Of course, the number 1 defense is "you dont have to buy them" and number 2 being (but doesn't always apply) is "They can be earned in game" but who really dictates what a complete game is and at what rate is fair that you're earning things in game? These are things that have no standard and vary from player to player. This division is also why these things will be more common place in games. You're already seeing it now with microtransactions being temporary pretty much when you buy the orcs in Shadow of War since they can permanently die. Deus Ex did a similar tactic, linking microtransactions to a one time use per save, not per game restart. The only way to progress in Battlefront 2 is through loot crates.
  • WalkinGlennWalkinGlenn Member RarePosts: 451
    I love boogie but hate francis! 
      Yeah Francis is just cringe and unfunny. I dont even bother clicking on them. He should just stick to everything thats not Francis or sjw bs.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Xodic said:
    I remember, many moons ago, when we tried to warn of micro-transactions going full retard if people kept supporting them.  Well, here we are.
    lol and It won't go away until it is considered a form of gambling. Pretty much someone is going to have to sue over their own stupidity and win. With the way things are becoming now,  I don't see that happening.
    KyleranGdemami
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    Cant remember where I read it, think it might have been gamespot? It comes out to 360 natches to unlock one gun or around $50 worth of crates.. Not willing to find out if that's true or not.
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Torval said:
    Support what you like with your time and money. That will get you a lot farther than complaining over the things you don't like other people doing.
    Are they releasing a version with out microtransactions that I can support?
    Gdemami

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    While that was about 300% more nerdrage then I feel for the subject I have to agree with Francis, Lootboxes sucks.
    YashaXIselinBruceYee
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    edited October 2017
    Torval said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    Torval said:
    Support what you like with your time and money. That will get you a lot farther than complaining over the things you don't like other people doing.
    You're not from America are you?
    Nope. I'm from Oregon. :tongue:
    When are y'all going to officially combine Oregon and Washington and officially name the nation Ecotopia?
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    I was just reading about the loot box debacle in Forza 7.  I'm hoping microtransactions don't gain too much traction (pun intended) in the racing genre.
    [Deleted User]

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    I don't care about lootboxes so long as the items I want from them are not loot box exclusive. I'm never going to buy a lootbox. I never have in any game. Generally that doesn't hold me back though as most games that have them either toss me an occasional lootbox for free or have other ways I can get the items inside them.
  • wesjrwesjr Member UncommonPosts: 506
    It must really suck when you go ANYWHERE because just about every place you go charges for anything "extra" and yes loot boxes are something extra to the game. 
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Torval said:
    So why is it bad that Shadows of War has microtransactions but it's okay that Minecraft has them? I've not seen any rant threads about microtransactions in Minecraft and it's a much bigger game with more influence.
    Which version of Minecraft has that type of microtransaction? Don't the console versions / phone version only support skins? Even though I'm not entirely against lootboxes I think it's a completely different type of microtransaction. 
    [Deleted User]
  • RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136
    I don't feel the pain in Shadow of War when it comes to lootboxs. I've purchased a few with silver, which is pretty easy to farm. I feel zero need to put any more money into the game, so I don't see the issue with SoW.

Now Battlefront 2 : I loved the beta, it's a beautiful game and they really fixed alot of the issues I had with the first one. That said I won't be buying it ... BF2 is absolutely pay to win; I won't support that. Shame  really .... they could have gone a cosmetic route and I'd of opened my wallet.

[Deleted User]Gdemami
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited October 2017
    Grunty said:
    Torval said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    Torval said:
    You're not from America are you?
    Nope. I'm from Oregon. :tongue:
    When are y'all going to officially combine Oregon and Washington and officially name the nation Ecotopia?
    They're waiting for us in British Columbia to secede from Canada. But don't you fret, Cascadia is coming :)
    [Deleted User]Kyleran
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Nyctelios said:
    Torval said:
    Torval said:
    So why is it bad that Shadows of War has microtransactions but it's okay that Minecraft has them? I've not seen any rant threads about microtransactions in Minecraft and it's a much bigger game with more influence.
    Which version of Minecraft has that type of microtransaction? Don't the console versions / phone version only support skins? Even though I'm not entirely against lootboxes I think it's a completely different type of microtransaction. 
    It the Windows version which is different than the Java version. The thing is that they're great. You can rent your own servers, buy skins and world themes, and that sort of thing. They're still microtransactions though so it doesn't really matter where the OP is concerned.
    You kinda don't get it. It is not about microtransactions, that's in the past: You can't buy what you want. That's the issue with lootboxes. 

The companies removed direct purchase and added lootboxes, that's like going to buy a new jacket, seeing the one you like on the shop floor but when comes to pay for it you can only buy random boxes until you get the one you like. Does that sounds in any shape to what you are describing? Of course it does not.

On SWBF2 it is tied to player progression, which make things worse. You won't progress in a match by your ability, you won't progress by kills, objectives and so on - you'll progress if the RNG allows you to do so. On Shadows of War the RNG is tied to your power (and other things that I don't want to spoil the game for you).

How is that anything like buying directly skins you want?
    The whole thing is Gacha scheme.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Did you know life is an STD that is 100% fatal. 
    BruceYee
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Why is this a problem? It is a free world. Just don't buy them. 
    GdemamiKyleran
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    I hadn't really given much thought to how many games I play that have some form of a loot box system but turns out it is almost all of them. In the weak defense of loot boxes though other systems that allowed people to buy specific items directly for the most part have failed pretty consistently so loot boxes may be the only option?

ESO - Feels like most of the money they make comes from these.
    Trove - Have been there from start, in all aspects of the game for various things so w/e.
    Atlas Reactor - Wouldn't be surprised if these are the only reason the game is still up.
    Fortnite - Pretty hardcore p2w for a btp game.
    Heroes of the Storm - All cosmetic, can be earned at a fast rate by playing regularly.
    Overwatch - IMO these act kind of like a donation to the game if you feel inclined to support it again. Like how you can no longer get duplicates.
    Realm of the Mad God - Best pets are found in eggs that can be purchased with real money or very rarely found as drops. Pets greatly increase combat efficiency so kind of p2w'ish?
    Forge of Gods - Best units are found in most expensive rng boxes that are extremely overpriced imo.
    SMITE - Loot boxes done right imo.
    Paladins - Loot boxes done right imo.
    Gems of War - Best units found in most expensive boxes that are extremely overpriced, system designed to empty your wallet.
    Brawl of Ages - Fun loot box system. Can be earned by playing for free and you can sell the items you earned for free on the steam market unless they changed that recently.

Card packs count or no? - Elder Scrolls Legends, Hearthstone, Hand of the Gods, Minion Masters

Doesn't have any rng loot box - Albion Online
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Asheram said:

The first cash shop MMO was not every MMO back in the year it launched. Look how that worked out.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited October 2017
    Smedley was the first N.American to push cash shops and look what happened to SOE.
    A LAZY angle from a developer is NOT the answer,it might be a cheap cost effective way to raise revenue,but only short term,in the long term people just quit and your game makes no money.

The problem is it leads to a lot of bad game designs across the gaming genres.So what is happening is that devs are making low cost minimal games to support getting them out fast,within a year or before it is ready,just tag on early access,people will buy and an easy profit is made.

Th developers using these modern gimmicks don't really need to have any success after the initial push on sales,they already made a killing just selling the game.Look at this game  ,since 2016,so around 1 1/2 years  put into this game,that is a real crap effort,so yeah this cash shop thing is just icing on the cake.
    Gdemami

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited October 2017
    Jeez,  now I've actually agreed with both Nari and gdemini, in the same post no less, I'm going to hell for sure.

B)
    Sovrath

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    I dont play games with loot boxes, I get most of my games from Steam.

oh the irony

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Kyleran said:
    Jeez,  now I've actually agreed with both Nari and gdemini, in the same post no less, I'm going to hell for sure.

B)
    You are posting on MMORPG . . . you are already in hell :)

Cryomatrix
    SovrathKyleran
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations.