Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Project Aurora

postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
Interesting CCP.

I don't remember reading this anywhere. Was it announced at their latest keynote?

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/10/07/eve-online-spinoff-coming-to-ios-2018/

Comments

• KazuhiroKazuhiro Member UncommonPosts: 607
    It was, yes. But it's just another generic pay2win build-times-skip-with-real-money sort of game. Been done a billion times "at least" so far, and is just intended to make CCP some easy whale money since Eve has been seeing a shrinking playerbase year to year and it has them worried.

To find an intelligent person in a PUG is not that rare, but to find a PUG made up of "all" intelligent people is one of the rarest phenomenons in the known universe.

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    And the next try to branch out.

Based on their previous success rate the chance of failure is around 80%. Most of their spin off games to not survive their second year.

Still waiting for a DUST514 game on PC as part of EVE ... player avatars, walking in stations etc.

Have fun

Excession
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Interesting CCP.

I don't remember reading this anywhere. Was it announced at their latest keynote?

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/10/07/eve-online-spinoff-coming-to-ios-2018/
    All I know is what I read on the News Story here on this site today:

http://http//forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/468705/eve-vegas-2017-project-aurora-first-glimpse-of-a-persistent-online-mobile-game-mmorpg-com#latest

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Kazuhiro said:
    It was, yes. But it's just another generic pay2win build-times-skip-with-real-money sort of game. Been done a billion times "at least" so far, and is just intended to make CCP some easy whale money since Eve has been seeing a shrinking playerbase year to year and it has them worried.
    Where did you see the fact that it's pay to win? I do see options in screenshots to advance faster with another currency but unless theres a video somewhere we can't really judge it off of that.
  • KazuhiroKazuhiro Member UncommonPosts: 607
    Kazuhiro said:
    Where did you see the fact that it's pay to win? I do see options in screenshots to advance faster with another currency but unless theres a video somewhere we can't really judge it off of that.
    I personally spoke to some of the devs at vegas, and while they didn't obvious "say" it would be pay2win, what they did say sounds exactly like every other kind of game you'd see on your phone with rts elements and building wait times.

Again though while "pay2win" is a well known term, a lot of people just lack the common sense to understand what it means. (Not saying that's you of course, as I have no idea what you believe.) But I consider any game with premium currencies that let you buy power or progression faster than another player to be pay2win, as do 80-90% of the world's gamer population, sadly there are 10-20% that just can't comprehend that.

To find an intelligent person in a PUG is not that rare, but to find a PUG made up of "all" intelligent people is one of the rarest phenomenons in the known universe.

• EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    Erillion said:
    And the next try to branch out.

Based on their previous success rate the chance of failure is around 80%. Most of their spin off games to not survive their second year.

Still waiting for a DUST514 game on PC as part of EVE ... player avatars, walking in stations etc.

Have fun

Dust 514 was really killed by two factors:

1. PS3 Only Release. Not PC, not any other system, and most of all, never updated to work on PS4. There is only one fate for games made for a specific console when that console moves on to the next generation.

2. Overpromise. If you look at the early Dust 514 trailers you see turrets in DUST taking out ships in orbit in EVE. People sneaking aboard EVE ships and shooting the captain. All that was ever delivered on that front was EVE ships providing orbital strikes. The interaction level was very small.

However, what Dust 514 was, was an insanely fun to play FPS that really offered some unique and insanely fun features. The fact you were paid at the end of each match and could use the money to buy better suits, or call in tanks anywhere on the map or whatever was super fun. And the level of suit/vehicle customization remains unparalleled by any other FPS I've ever played. The FPS combat itself was at least as fun as your average Halo title (Which IMO is the most fun series of FPS games).

I actually bought a PS3 just play Dust514. Never played any other game on it before water got spilled on it like a year or two after I bought it. I considered going out and buying another PS3 just to play it again, and probably would if it was still running. That's how good of a game it was.

I do fear a lot for Project Nova though. Some of the videos of it makes it seem like they are trying to go less Halo and more Call of Duty (My least favorite series of FPS games). That would be a huge mistake. I hope they realise they offered us gold, just on the wrong platform, and with too much hype surrounding it.