Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Epic Cracks Its Knuckles Ready to Fight As It Takes Two Players to Court for Cheating - Fortnite - M

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited October 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageEpic Cracks Its Knuckles Ready to Fight As It Takes Two Players to Court for Cheating - Fortnite - MMORPG.com

Fortnite News - Epic is not taking any guff from players and cheat providers in Fortnite: Battle Royale. In new documents filed recently, Epic is suing two players named "Vraspir" and "Broom" for infringing on the company's copyright due to changes made to the game's code, placing them in violation of the Terms of Service. According to the documents, one of the pair has been banned nine times. Both players are associated with a site that provides access to cheats.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• diabeldiabel Member UncommonPosts: 36
    Taking players to court for cheating in games... overkill much? It's a game.
    [Deleted User]kinkyJalepeno
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    diabel said:
    If you read the full article, they're both associated with a cheat site as staff members.
    ForgrimmPanther2103[Deleted User]Octagon7711mgilbrtsn

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• BlotieBlotie Member UncommonPosts: 29

diabel said:

It is a game to you. To them it is their business and livelihood.
    kryntokDullahanAzaron_NightbladeDakeru
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

diabel said:

I would love it for players to be taken to court for such things.
    DAOWAcekryntok[Deleted User][Deleted User]Dullahanmgilbrtsn[Deleted User]forcelimaDakeru
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

SBFord said:

diabel said:

If you read the full article, they're both associated with a cheat site as staff members.

I think getting rid of a site through this method will make other sites based in the US probably not offer cheats for this game. Especially if people associated know that they are willing to do this.
  • Geddon95405Geddon95405 Member UncommonPosts: 111
    any solution that reduces cheating, short of rootkits, is worth it to me

cheaters take all of the value out of online multiplayer

1 player using cheats can play matches all day and destroy the game experience for hundreds of players PER DAY.

anything that can ruin the game experience for a cheater, in real life or otherwise, is worth it
    Talonsin

Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women...

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Do they really think this will deter anyone from cheating?

It's reminds me of when the RIAA went on lawsuit spree for pirating music.  Has piracy stopped or even slowed down?

In the end the only people who will win here are the lawyers.
    Asm0deustofuknightPsym0n

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

DMKano said:

SBFord said:

diabel said:

I think getting rid of a site through this method will make other sites based in the US probably not offer cheats for this game. Especially if people associated know that they are willing to do this.
    The problem is the biggest cheat sites are all outside US for this very reason
    Yeah that's true. I guess I don't know what else they can do other than try scare tactics to prevent people from buying them. Anti cheat won't really work due to insanely fast patches for cheat programs getting around any anti cheat, banning won't really work due to being able to change IP's or being able to just repurchase the product. I can't really think of much they can do. Players will cheat because they suck, and it makes them look good. 

Although I can't say I haven't cheated before. I got bored once on CS: S and downloaded an aimbot and a spinhack just to mess around on a non vac server with other hackers, I can see why it's fun just to mess around, but I can't see why people would ever do it seriously instead of just getting better at games. 
    tofuknight
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    They should certainly be fined. Cheaters can destroy a game's profit. I've quit a few games due to cheaters / constant exploiters.
    [Deleted User]
  • DaranarDaranar Member UncommonPosts: 392

dave6660 said:

It's reminds me of when the RIAA went on lawsuit spree for pirating music.  Has piracy stopped or even slowed down?

This, they are going to drag two folks through the mud over a game. My God. A game they aren't stealing, reselling, or committing any crime against. And this quote is exactly right. It's not making an example, it's not stopping, rather it's just encouraging cheaters to look for better avenues in which they won't get caught. Shame on Epic (It's also bad PR) and shame on any court who wastes tax payer dollars to hear such an idiotic case. If the value of your product is in the online experience, then do your job. Don't suck at it then cry to the courts over it.

I hate cheaters but when big corporations start sueing the little guy...well Epic lost a Christmas sale.

If I want a world in which people can purchase success and power with cash, I'll play Real Life. Keep Virtual Worlds Virtual!

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030

Daranar said:

dave6660 said:

This, they are going to drag two folks through the mud over a game. My God. A game they aren't stealing, reselling, or committing any crime against. And this quote is exactly right. It's not making an example, it's not stopping, rather it's just encouraging cheaters to look for better avenues in which they won't get caught. Shame on Epic (It's also bad PR) and shame on any court who wastes tax payer dollars to hear such an idiotic case. If the value of your product is in the online experience, then do your job. Don't suck at it then cry to the courts over it.

I hate cheaters but when big corporations start sueing the little guy...well Epic lost a Christmas sale.

Are you of the opinion that nobody has a right to self-defense then? Cause that's what this is.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    DMKano said:
    Sovrath said:

diabel said:

I would love it for players to be taken to court for such things.

How woud this work for players outside US?

Its completely unrealistic and is a terrible idea IMO

The last thing we need is more needless lawsuits 
    It wouldn't. Doesn't change the fact that I think they should be held accountable.
    [Deleted User]Dakeru
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • kryntokkryntok Member UncommonPosts: 77
    Get them epic! Lead the way!
    Asm0deus
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Epic is pretty smart especially with PUBG getting a lot of back lash over how its been handling its Chinese market. Draws dissatisfied customers from there over to them even if it seems unrelated.
  • XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927
    edited October 2017

dave6660 said:

Comparing the whole world(because pirating was/is done worldwide by tens of millions daily) with a game's playerbase isn't the best example.

Honestly to me this look like PR and nothing else. Suing 2 people that are based in the US couldn't be more irrelevant when you have in mind that as it was already mentioned the biggest companies that provide hacks and whatnot are usually based in Russia/China or other places that spit on DMCA and any other laws-alike.

Also I'm surprised that people think that this will deter American companies from offering hacks... It takes 2 minutes to build a site and cover all your tracks, so that they can't find out where you actually are. With cryptocurrencies and a ton of companies that offer offshore solutions I don't see how this will have any effect at all.
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

diabel said:

Its a business and how some people earn a living. Cheaters ruin games and drive people away, that means lost revenue. I'm pretty sure if you had a business and someone was driving your customers away you would feel the same way, even if your business was games.

I say, hammer those suckers! Make them spend thousands on their legal defense. Make it known to everyone that anyone in the US caught cheating will face the same thing.
    Sovrath[Deleted User]Kajidourden
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited October 2017
    Epic has been behind anti cheat since as long as the first Punkbuster test.This is back around 2000 long before the internet was a common household item,so PR not  likely at all.Lawsuits are going o typically be based on proving loss of revenue because of the cheats, imo very tough to do.Epic did manage to stop one of the main proponents behind cheats from posting his services online but obviously he just went under the radar and sold his stuff privately.

Is it PR now,i doubt it very much,back in the day Epic actually hired the team or guy who worked on the anti cheat back then,they were serious about it.

Hard to say who really tossed out the first aimbot as it was likely a secret for some time before known about,aside from the two created by one Epic and some other dude who then allowed it to be shared/leaked and it goes on from there.

I am never a firm believer that Blizzard cares more about cheating than just protecting their own assets.Gameguard...ALWAYS been a joke,i actually did a mega ton of research behind that and it appeared to be part of a corrupt way to both circumvent "paid" cheats into their games while still meeting security standards.Punkbuster,i used it a few times,seemed to work decently far i could tell,i quit COD though because cheating was way out of hand,couldn't find a single game where somebody wasn't cheating.

Long story short,we will never see cheating stopped,it is near impossible,which is sort of why i stopped playing fps,i know for fact there will be cheats.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

edited October 2017

SBFord said:

diabel said:

Unless these sites are financially killing the game it's overkill and a marketing stunt. Just like the title is misleading clickbait as it states two "players" and not sites. PR much?
    [Deleted User]
  • mmrvmmrv Member RarePosts: 305
    Fun game ruined by rampant uncontrolled cheating. Stay away until epic manages to implement the most basic anti cheat codings. Right now the only cheat detection is the playerbase being forced to record suspected cheaters and submit to support, the cheaters then just create a new account in 1/10th the time you wasted reporting them.
  • mmrvmmrv Member RarePosts: 305

diabel said:

SBFord said:

diabel said:

Unless these sites are financially killing the game it's overkill and a marketing stunt.

Just like the title is misleading clickbait as it states two "players" and not sites. PR much?

Its not overkill, if you want to stop cheaters who destroy these products you have to get serious about their crimes and altering the code is a copyright crime. That said I also agree that this is a marketing stunt as well since epic has done nothing to deal with these cheaters beside hollow empty account bans, the cheats just make a new account in 60 seconds and resume.

I am fairly certain the amount of cheaters easily surpasses 10% of the base now which makes the game unplayable.
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    diabel said:

Unless these sites are financially killing the game it's overkill and a marketing stunt.
    Seriously?  Thanks for giving us the benefit of your inexperience. 
    Panther2103Dakeru
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

Talonsin said:
    diabel said:

I agree. I don't think it's a marketing stunt at all. It does financially kill a game when it has rampant cheating. When cheating gets too bad, people quit. When people quit they don't spend money on your game. When you ban cheaters, you retain potential customers who would have quit due to the cheating. I know when i play a game in a ranked mode and a cheater is ruining my experience I tend to either stop for a very long time or just stop all together. 
    Psym0n
    edited October 2017

Talonsin said:

diabel said:

Cheating occurs when? When developers are inexperienced or take shortcuts that leave games open for cheating. If it's so terrible financially why are there no bounties offered to report cheats?

I might be inexperienced but a good news story with reach to a targeted audience is worth more then two cheating sites. Also viewing a situation from a perspective, that differs from yours, does not mean inexperience.
  • Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152
    diabel said:

Talonsin said:

diabel said:

Cheating occurs when? When developers are inexperienced or take shortcuts that leave games open for cheating. If it's so terrible financially why are there no bounties offered to report cheats?

I might be inexperienced but a good news story with reach to a targeted audience is worth more then two cheating sites. Also viewing a situation from a perspective, that differs from yours, does not mean inexperience.

Inexperienced..  lol.. While generally inexperienced devs will have more cheats. But reality is that there is ZERO game that is 100% cheat proof. The only sure fire way to stop cheating is to have players remote desktop into another machine that is fully locked down and play the client on said machine. But even then I am sure someone will find a way to cheat in it.

Heck even World of Warcraft with there devs that have many years of experience still has issues with cheating / hacking going on.  Just yesterday I watched a guy flying around in the game at level 2 without any mounts.
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Rhoklaw said:
    I'm not Korean and I've never played a Korean version of a game, but I've heard they have to use the equivalent of what the US refers to as our social security number to identify themselves when playing games. I'm just curious if that systematic approach to permanently banning players works or not and why that isn't used in other countries, specifically the U.S.
    Cuz in Murica, we have this thing called privacy.

Though personally, as someone who values my privacy, I also realize we have very little anymore. Nobody pays their subscriptions for anything in cash, which means everything you do in game is connected back to you personally.

If games can potentially ban your credit card for cheating, don't see how much of a difference it would be to ban your SS number and for games to create a wider network to encourage fair play.

The problem with that system is the problem with any system with power over the individual: corrupt government. Who determines whether a player is really cheating, and will they honor due process? These are the potential problems we actually consider in 'Murica!