Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elite: Dangerous - Everything Coming to Commanders in 2018 - MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500

Kyleran said:

Its due to developers painting a rosy picture of what the "full game" will be like without actually defining what the actual MVP is, when it will deliver, and then a timeline for the rest.

I don't know if Frontier made any hard promises on the features Teala is looking for, like not, nor are they doing so today I'm  guessing.

So the game she wants to play is no where on the (event) horizon so it leads to disappointment.

SC suffers from the same problem, vague scope,  ill defined and always missed dates, the result will be the same.

No Frontier were really careful about this, it's one of the reasons I have a lot more respect for them (from a consumer stance).
    They always said things like "We would like..." "In the future we hope to...." "That is something we would like to do..." etc, unlike CIG for example that wholly agrees to all sorts of stuff and even sells things for non-existent features that may or may not arrive years and years down the line.

The trouble, as per usual with most of these things, is that people read what they want to read or simply misremember what they thought they read.

Can you get off your ship in this game? I usually don't play space games because they never let me land at a space station and play on the ground at will then go back to my ship when i want to.

The last space game i played where gameplay was restricted to a space ship was Star Fox 64. Haven't really looked forward to anything else that follows the same gameplay restrictions.

You can only get off your ship by moving into a ground based vehicle, there's no walking about as a character at this stage. It's something they would like to do but it's a long way away.
    The issue is since the KSer days they've freely discussed their vision in some detail for adding "space legs " to the game....someday.

Just this year they further qualified saying it would be like adding an entirely different game (shades of CCP and EVE here) and would be a long way off. 

Again, EVE has conditioned many into thinking at this point it probably is more like never and are disappointed as that is the major feature which made this title different from and more appealing than EVE.

Gdemami

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502

Kyleran said:

Kyleran said:

Its due to developers painting a rosy picture of what the "full game" will be like without actually defining what the actual MVP is, when it will deliver, and then a timeline for the rest.

I don't know if Frontier made any hard promises on the features Teala is looking for, like not, nor are they doing so today I'm  guessing.

So the game she wants to play is no where on the (event) horizon so it leads to disappointment.

SC suffers from the same problem, vague scope,  ill defined and always missed dates, the result will be the same.

No Frontier were really careful about this, it's one of the reasons I have a lot more respect for them (from a consumer stance).

They always said things like "We would like..." "In the future we hope to...." "That is something we would like to do..." etc, unlike CIG for example that wholly agrees to all sorts of stuff and even sells things for non-existent features that may or may not arrive years and years down the line.

The trouble, as per usual with most of these things, is that people read what they want to read or simply misremember what they thought they read.

Can you get off your ship in this game? I usually don't play space games because they never let me land at a space station and play on the ground at will then go back to my ship when i want to.

The last space game i played where gameplay was restricted to a space ship was Star Fox 64. Haven't really looked forward to anything else that follows the same gameplay restrictions.

You can only get off your ship by moving into a ground based vehicle, there's no walking about as a character at this stage. It's something they would like to do but it's a long way away.

The issue is since the KSer days they've freely discussed their vision in some detail for adding "space legs " to the game....someday.

Just this year they further qualified saying it would be like adding an entirely different game (shades of CCP and EVE here) and would be a long way off. 

Again, EVE has conditioned many into thinking at this point it probably is more like never and are disappointed as that is the major feature which made this title different from and more appealing than EVE.

What detail? The only thing they have said is that they would like to do spacelegs at some point and that it would be cool to have things like big game hunting. That's about the full extent of their disclosed plans.

Kyleran said:

Kyleran said:

What detail? The only thing they have said is that they would like to do spacelegs at some point and that it would be cool to have things like big game hunting. That's about the full extent of their disclosed plans.
    Consolidated all in one place, but even the KSer page specifically calls it out.

http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Space_Legs
    Gdemami

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Which doesn't really say much at all apart from it's something we would like to do and big game hunting would be cool.
    There's a notable lack of detail, there's a notable lack of any sort of ETA and so on.

This quote sums it up perfectly
    However, I think it's also fair to say Space Legs is effectively dovetailing a whole new game into Elite. We take steps towards it, it's our end vision, but we're not there yet, we're... it's a long way off.

edited October 2017
    Which doesn't really say much at all apart from it's something we would like to do and big game hunting would be cool.
    There's a notable lack of detail, there's a notable lack of any sort of ETA and so on.

However, I think it's also fair to say Space Legs is effectively dovetailing a whole new game into Elite. We take steps towards it, it's our end vision, but we're not there yet, we're... it's a long way off.

That quote is almost right out of the CCP playbook.

At some point in the future expect them to announce a decision to forgo ever developing this and focus on delivering a better core gameplay (aka spaceships) experience. 

One interview I read discussed Frontier having a 10 year plan to roll out content.

Like all devs they never reveal it or put target dates to it, which is a huge problem in this genre. 

Not many industries permit their software projects to roll on without timelines and long term plans "which are published."

So that reply above,  typical evasive weasel words, and again, why they take criticism for it.

Oh yes, since it is a separate game, and Frontier is capable of delivering more than one game at a time, why isn't more effort being done on this? 

Answer, they really don't think it will bring  in enough new money to make it worth doing, better to focus on rollercoasters and dinos.

Gdemami

I disagree, as I said earlier in the thread Frontier are careful about how they present what they want to do, CIG are already selling manuals for something that is absolutely last on the list. They verbally sold private servers, VR, best FPS ever and so on.

The reason they don't put dates on it is because it's not commited to yet. It's not a near term focus on their roadmap so it would be foolish of them to commit a date to it.

What's wrong with a company seeking to not put all its eggs in one basket? It's great from an employee point of view because all too often people get laid off after a game is completed.
    CCP make multiple games at the same time, Blizzard do the same etc. Strange thing to moan about.
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Kyleran said:

That quote is almost right out of the CCP playbook.

FD is nothing like CCP. Both companies have their good sides and bad sides but they are really not similar at all.

At some point in the future expect them to announce a decision to forgo ever developing this and focus on delivering a better core gameplay (aka spaceships) experience. 

They've already said 2.4 would focus on that... so basically they've already said they'll release less new content in favour of updating existing gameplay. They haven't said they're going to forgo space legs.

One interview I read discussed Frontier having a 10 year plan to roll out content.

Like all devs they never reveal it or put target dates to it, which is a huge problem in this genre. 

They were already a year late with their latest group of content patches... yet you expect them to somehow give you accurate dates for a TEN YEAR plan? Which company has ever done that ever?

Not many industries permit their software projects to roll on without timelines and long term plans "which are published."

Well last time I heard they've had 70+ devs still working on Elite... and they're already working on more payed content for 2018, apart from all the free content they've announced. We'll have to wait and see.

Answer, they really don't think it will bring  in enough new money to make it worth doing, better to focus on rollercoasters and dinos.

How dare they, as a software dev company, make other good games!.. How dare they! They should concentrate on the one game that I want, because I'm a very special and I should be treated as special!

..Cake..

I disagree, as I said earlier in the thread Frontier are careful about how they present what they want to do, CIG are already selling manuals for something that is absolutely last on the list. They verbally sold private servers, VR, best FPS ever and so on.

The reason they don't put dates on it is because it's not commited to yet. It's not a near term focus on their roadmap so it would be foolish of them to commit a date to it.

What's wrong with a company seeking to not put all its eggs in one basket? It's great from an employee point of view because all too often people get laid off after a game is completed.
    CCP make multiple games at the same time, Blizzard do the same etc. Strange thing to moan about.
    I never said it was a bad thing to make more than one game, and if you have Blizzards resources its no problem to divide them.

CCP is a good example of why a company should not split resources as their success rate has been exceptionally poor outside of their core game.

Resources are devoted to projects based on projected revenues, clearly Frontier came to same decision as CCP,  focus on core spaceship play as this is the target audience to keep happy, not the Space Legs crowd. 

It's  just business....

• JakeSimJakeSim Member RarePosts: 883
    Give me some kind of gameplay where i can walk around instead of being attached to a ship all the time and you'll have me in. Unlike Star citizen where that game will just never be "finished"
    Please come check out my stream. All the love is appreciated! 

TWITCH: @JakeSimTV