Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you ever decided to not play a game simply because you missed out on an exclusive reward?

DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
edited October 2017 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
This question may seem dumb to most, but have any of you ever decided to not play a game simply because you missed out on an exclusive beta reward, cross-promotion reward, pre-order reward etc?

I'm just curious.

I always wanted to try Marvel Heroes. I really wanted to play as the Black Symbiote Spider-Man (animated suit). I found out that I had to be a "founder" in order to obtain that suit, so I ended up not playing. I know it seems pretty petty, but am I the only weirdo here?

waynejr2

Comments

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    edited October 2017
    VENOM!
    I think all that stuff eventually gets released to platforms that have the game I recently seen his face in an article here or on massivelyop so he might be releasing beyond that.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited October 2017
    Losing an exclusive reward is not a big deal for me.

On the other hand, If the game has the scripted death of a character i really like then i skip the game entirely. I hate not being able to save a potentially memorable character because the devs were lazy enough to script their deaths to avoid adding player options/consequences to the game. Let me just have a bad ending if it means i saved someone who was supposed to die in the canon story. I'm fine with that.

Before buying a game i go to the wiki and look for the back story of all the main/support characters to see whats up with them. I've never really cared about spoilers.

• drivecdrivec Member UncommonPosts: 104
    it really feels awful when there is something in a game that you cant ever get because you werent there when it happened.  they should allow for other ways even if it means cash. 

I really think its just awful design it has nothing to do with effort or skill.  people think its a reward for doing something but really it just makes other players feel awful because its now unattainable. 
    Dauzqulwaynejr2[Deleted User]
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    drivec said:
    it really feels awful when there is something in a game that you cant ever get because you werent there when it happened.  they should allow for other ways even if it means cash. 

I really think its just awful design it has nothing to do with effort or skill.  people think its a reward for doing something but really it just makes other players feel awful because its now unattainable. 
    I totally agree.
  • sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 766
    no.
    Loke666mrputtswaynejr2
  • acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    My initial reaction was 'pfft, no', but then I realised I actually stopped playing FF Mobius (and similar mobile games) because I missed out on certain event Jobs / Cards (due to bad RNG)... which isn't quite the same thing*, but just another reason I hate the whole 'limited time only' (read: give us $100 now!) economy that a lot of F2P games (or those with 'Founders' packs), and now apparently full price 'AAA' games (see Battlefront 2), seem to employ.

* Usually these Jobs / Cards were significantly more powerful than average, and in some cases all but required to progress in the game, which made me think: Why am I spending $$ on this when they can just release an even more powerful thing next week and ask for more $$?
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    edited October 2017
    Very good question you are asking.

Funny thing that for the first 2 years of playing MH both Weapon X and Symbiote SM were costumes I wish I had but didn't have the money at the time the Ultimate Pack was being sold. It is kind of strange that a thing like a costume gave me such hardcore fomo but it has happened in games after that as well.

Other games that made me feel the same way was WoW with some of the in-game trading card + Blizzcon stuff and some SMITE skins that are no longer available.
    Dauzqul
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Yep. I have. It's one of the main reasons I cancelled SWTOR. The horrid Light vs Dark one time event, where they expected you to level up one of each class, and do ALL the old content for the umpteenth time, or miss out on the exclusive rewards. Never mind the fact that I done all that before, in their infinite wisdom they decided to fuck over their veteran players and make them jump through all the hoops again. I typically don't play MMO's that have been out forever either. Too much exclusive crap I can never earn.
    Dauzqul[Deleted User]

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    If it involves exclusive content, yes.
    Dauzqul
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • BestinnaBestinna Member UncommonPosts: 190
    i quit ark when it was released because all the rag servers were full and it was a huge advantage that i didn't want to play without. same thing? pretty much a reward for those who were home when it was released.
    Dauzqul
  • jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    Never been bothered about "things". Items in games, it's a bunch if pixels.
    [Deleted User]waynejr2
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    It never occurred to me. Exclusive content is nice and all but as I see it aa  reward for being there in the beginning.  Being rewarded for being in the right place at the right time is a theme of life. Doesn't bother me at all. It may be lame if the legacy item is overpowered, but I just still say that it is just life. 

"Early bird gets the worm" . . . you can also get rewarded for coming later and not have to deal with suboptimal systems or spend all your money on costume that is inferior to one that comes out but you don't have the cash for. 

So . . . basically, doesn't bother me at all. 
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    I've seen other people use that logic but it really doesn't make sense.

Just pixels? Well, music is just waves. So are movies come to think of it.

And in the end, if they are "just pixels" then why bother spending time and money when you can be doing anything else that is "not just pixels".

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate that you don't care about certain aesthetics in game and more power to you. It's the "just pixels" thing that has always seemed strange.
    AllerleirauhConstantineMerusAzaron_NightbladeMrMelGibson[Deleted User]
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • AllerleirauhAllerleirauh Member UncommonPosts: 496
    Sovrath said:

And in the end, if they are "just pixels" then why bother spending time and money when you can be doing anything else that is "not just pixels".

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate that you don't care about certain aesthetics in game and more power to you. It's the "just pixels" thing that has always seemed strange.
    Especially if this person plays games; I can see some people not caring because they put things into perspective, but saying it's "just pixels" would strip the motivation of owning anything in a digital world.
    SovrathAzaron_NightbladeMrMelGibson[Deleted User]
    Currently Playing: Path of Exile

"I have found a desire within myself that no experience in this world can satisfy; the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." ~ C. S. Lewis
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited October 2017
    Yes one of the things that turns me away from Guild Wars 2 is because of this limited time costumes, and no unlimited option for customization this is one thing "Black Desert Online" does get right is they do offer unlimited customization for $15 a month GW2 does not, and BDO displays Boss monsters on the world map, GW2 doesn't.

So yeah one of the reasons I do not like GW2 at all is because of this exact reason "Limited Time Content" (SPEND $100 TODAY) to get your exclusive content, or you can't get it for another year if not never again.

Not everyone has $100 to throw into a game on that specific date and time.
  • laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    It hasn't crossed my mind.

There hasn't been a reward big enough to justify that. It would have to be pretty substantial. Most of the rewards I've seen are nice, but not deal breakers. If the reward is incredibly amazing, it is likely purchasable separately. At that point, you probably bite the bullet and spend that extra 5$ or 10$, if you really care about it that much.

One thing that does shift my mindset is Steam Sales though. If a game is 30$ and goes on sale for 5$, I probably won't buy it for the full price in the near future.
    waynejr2
  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Other things are just atoms. What's the point.
    Sovrath[Deleted User]
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    The only game I regret missing something was a lifetime sub to LoTRO.  But I still play it from time to time.
    laxieMrMelGibson[Deleted User]

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Sovrath said:

Break it down further and life is just a game of manipulating neurotransmitter release to the reward centers of your brain :).

Cryomatrix
    Octagon7711
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    It might sound a little weird but yeah all the time. I don't like it when there's an exclusive timed event that never happens again, or an exclusive piece of story or content. It makes me feel like I'm missing out on something that will never happen ever again. It's the same thing for me if a game has DLC. I feel like if I don't own that DLC I'm going to be missing out on some part of the game that's there but I don't have access to it. That's an issue with some MMO's, when they have like 10 expansions and you have to own each one for access to each piece of content. 
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited October 2017
    It never occurred to me. Exclusive content is nice and all but as I see it aa  reward for being there in the beginning.  Being rewarded for being in the right place at the right time is a theme of life. Doesn't bother me at all. It may be lame if the legacy item is overpowered, but I just still say that it is just life. 

"Early bird gets the worm" . . . you can also get rewarded for coming later and not have to deal with suboptimal systems or spend all your money on costume that is inferior to one that comes out but you don't have the cash for. 

So . . . basically, doesn't bother me at all. 
    I don't think it is about being the right place,many people see these and still avoid it because usually it is tied into some form of purchase.
    Like pay 30 to play  or for 75 dollars you get this exclusive item.

Founders packs have used this very gimmick.To me this is beating around the bush,it is simply an era full of crappy developers forcing cash shops onto us.
    I doubt there are many exclusives that are not tied into some form of sell job.

The only thing comes to mind are seasonal event items but in most cases those items come back at next years event or eventually.
    Kyleran

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Something tells me that I have, but I can't think of an example off the top of my head.

All of the exclusives given out by Blizzard for going to cons and such were a big turnoff to me over time though.
    KalebGraysonAzaron_Nightblade
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    Yes.  I'm a perfectionist and completionist so often knowing there's something I can never get just because I didn't even know about the game soon enough or some other stupid reason doesn't sit well with me.  Happened with too many games to count (though many of them are mobile and browser games so not much point to listing them here).
    Dauzqul[Deleted User]Andemon
  • KalebGraysonKalebGrayson Member RarePosts: 430
    I'm a completionist, so yeah, it bothers me in every game I play.  It's annoying and has turned me off to some games like Rift, WoW, SWToR, etc...
    [Deleted User]Andemon
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Tiamat64 said:
    Yes.  I'm a perfectionist and completionist so often knowing there's something I can never get just because I didn't even know about the game soon enough or some other stupid reason doesn't sit well with me.  Happened with too many games to count (though many of them are mobile and browser games so not much point to listing them here).
    I'm a completionist, so yeah, it bothers me in every game I play.  It's annoying and has turned me off to some games like Rift, WoW, SWToR, etc...
    That's what does it for me too, yep.
    [Deleted User]

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/