Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crucial BX300 480GB Review - An Affordable Upgrade to Your Older SSD - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited October 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageCrucial BX300 480GB Review - An Affordable Upgrade to Your Older SSD - MMORPG.com

Crucial is known for their competitive, and often cheaper, SSD solutions. Always seemingly a step behind Samsung, Crucial still remains a reliable, affordable alternative. 2015’s BX200 was recently replaced by the new BX300, and with a hefty performance upgrade. Read on for our review.

Read the full story here

Comments

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited October 2017
    @BillMurphy

1. How is it possible that BX300 to BX300 transfer got higher average file transfer speed than WD Blue 3D to WD Blue 3D, but according to article WD Blue 3D finished its transfer faster? If you've been transferring the same files, shouldn't the one that finishes faster also get better average speed.

2. How do you count the price difference in
    "When we look closer at the two SATA drives here, the Blue and BX300, we see that Western Digital has a slight edge. Given the $100+ price difference between these drives (and sometimes more), this level of performance is impressive"

Based on Amazon's prices, shouldn't the price difference be more like $10+ instead of $100+.

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    Price difference tween this and samsung evo in Amazon.ca....note this is Amazon Canada is 47$ CAD so I dunno where the previous poster is getting 100$ or 10$?

That said this a pretty good price drop and considering that here in Canada Samsung can be a huge hassle to get a RMA etc etc

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• GameByNightGameByNight Hardware and Technology EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 793

Vrika said:

@BillMurphy

1. How is it possible that BX300 to BX300 transfer got higher average file transfer speed than WD Blue 3D to WD Blue 3D, but according to article WD Blue 3D finished its transfer faster? If you've been transferring the same files, shouldn't the one that finishes faster also get better average speed.

"When we look closer at the two SATA drives here, the Blue and BX300, we see that Western Digital has a slight edge. Given the $100+ price difference between these drives (and sometimes more), this level of performance is impressive"

Based on Amazon's prices, shouldn't the price difference be more like $10+ instead of $100+.

I can answer these for Bill.

1. It has to do with burst speeds. The WD Blue's initial speed burst was much faster and lasted a bit longer.

2. The WD Blue now comes in two versions, the older 2D NAND and the new 3D one. The price difference being referred to is against the newer 3D NAND version (which matches the BX300).
    [Deleted User]

Vrika said:

@BillMurphy

1. It has to do with burst speeds. The WD Blue's initial speed burst was much faster and lasted a bit longer.

2. The WD Blue now comes in two versions, the older 2D NAND and the new 3D one. The price difference being referred to is against the newer 3D NAND version (which matches the BX300).

1. Does that mean the "average" speed on your review is actually median value?

I though average should be transfer size divided by transfer time. In that setting if the transfer size is same, it's mathematically impossible for longer transfer get faster average speed.

If you're telling the median value in your review, that would be possible.

2. That doesn't seem to explain it. What shop are you using?
    https://www.amazon.com/Blue-NAND-500GB-SSD-WDS500G2B0A/dp/B073SBZ8YH
    https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-BX300-480GB-Internal-Solid/dp/B073W4N5KB

• GameByNightGameByNight Hardware and Technology EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 793

Vrika said:

Vrika said:

@BillMurphy

1. Does that mean the "average" speed on your review is actually median value?

I though average should be transfer size divided by transfer time. In that setting if the transfer size is same, it's mathematically impossible for longer transfer get faster average speed.

If you're telling the median value in your review, that would be possible.

2. That doesn't seem to explain it. What shop are you using?

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-NAND-500GB-SSD-WDS500G2B0A/dp/B073SBZ8YH

https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-BX300-480GB-Internal-Solid/dp/B073W4N5KB

Good catch. Looks like we were looking at the 1TB WD Blue. Correction submitted and we'll have that fixed. Thank you!

In regard to the first point, we begin tracking for average speed after the initial burst on all SSDs. I'll make sure this is something we make clear going forward, but I would be interested to hear your thoughts as well. Our rationale here is that all SSDs begin their transfers with an unrepresentative high speed burst. We track speeds immediately as they stabilize until the transfer has completed. Otherwise you have transfer speeds skew higher than what you'll see 99% of the time.
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    I am on a Samsung 960 Pro m2. So I am no longer in the plebian world of SSDs limited by the SATA2 interface.
    Still in that price range the Crucial drives are among the best. Crucial and WD definitely have the best products here. For Crucial, the BX series is their affordable lineup. It makes sense it doesn't have the highest transfer speeds since the goal is gb/dollar.
    Ashikuro
    edited October 2017

In regard to the first point, we begin tracking for average speed after the initial burst on all SSDs. I'll make sure this is something we make clear going forward, but I would be interested to hear your thoughts as well. Our rationale here is that all SSDs begin their transfers with an unrepresentative high speed burst. We track speeds immediately as they stabilize until the transfer has completed. Otherwise you have transfer speeds skew higher than what you'll see 99% of the time.

I don't really know enough to comment on that. The speed burst could either be a phase when the SSD is reading data and not writing anything yet, or it could be a case of Windows having already loaded some data into RAM.

Maybe @Quizzical would know enough to comment something on this.

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited October 2017
    OMG SSD's are getting cheaper 2TB SSD for around $500 I wonder what it will be like in another year? I remember when a 1TB SSD was going for over 2k USD?.................... Although using just a SSD as my Boot-Drive I am noticing that SSD's get bad sectors and wear-out faster than my other regular HDD which I have used for years I only have 700 hours on my SSD now and its 18 bad sectors but only used it for 700 hours vs my old HDD I have used for over 7+ Years with only 5 bad sectors...

Renoaku said:

OMG SSD's are getting cheaper 2TB SSD for around $500 I wonder what it will be like in another year? I remember when a 1TB SSD was going for over 2k USD?....................

Although using just a SSD as my Boot-Drive I am noticing that SSD's get bad sectors and wear-out faster than my other regular HDD which I have used for years I only have 700 hours on my SSD now and its 18 bad sectors but only used it for 700 hours vs my old HDD I have used for over 7+ Years with only 5 bad sectors...

SSDs are designed to slowly retire most used sectors as part of their normal operation, and they've got a lot of extra invisible sectors that they can take into use to replace those retired sectors.

HDDs do not have similar functionality and bad sectors mean often unrecoverable errors or indicate the drive failing soon.

SSDs do wear out faster than HDDs, but one shouldn't compare the number of reallocated sectors because it means different thing for SSD than it means for HDD.

• AshikuroAshikuro Member UncommonPosts: 68
    I love Crucial, such a great brand