Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why are you NOT playing Elite: Dangerous?

1235»

Comments

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    edited October 2017
    Same thing for me I was interested and then I watched a youtube video of some guy trying to land or take off not sure which and it looked too hard for me.
    Post edited by kitarad on
    Gdemami

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    edited October 2017
    Frontier Expo
    • We watch a video of four Thargoids chasing a Cobra Mark 3, before one of the Thargoids turns to us and initiates a scan.
    • Enthusiasm of working on the game in its 3rd year remains high.
    • Behind the scenes video of the ED team hard at work. This team clearly cares about their work and the content they’re delivering, as well as the passion the community has for the game.
    • 2018 updates will be focused on three areas- Core Game Improvements, Narrative Expansion, and new features which build on the first 2.
    • Season 3 of Elite Dangerous is called “Beyond”.
    • 2018 roadmap – Q1, Core improvements, followed by 2 more updates delivering new ships, missions, scenarios. More on Q4 in a bit.
    • Q1 – A bunch of QoL improvements.
    • Engineering improvement – when rolling a blueprint spin, that spin will always be better than the previous spin.
    • Improvements to system authority.  new improved crime and punishment system
    • Improved Trade Data. Traders rejoice!
    • Wing missions! Suppose to be harder than solo missions
    • Asset polish to planets in Q1 2018 (Shaders and Graphs).
    • Wide variety of planetary color variation. In Q1 2018 end to the great beigefication!
    • Narrative improvements.
    • Another video. SRV visiting Guardian base. Intercepted by Thargoid. Oh, it doesn’t like Guardian Tech! Example of narrative thread which Frontier will be expanding on.
    • Q1 will continue the Guardian story. New experiences, CGs, players working together.
    • Personal narrative will be expanded.
    • Ohh, new equipment! A new weapon, a gun of some-kind, and what looks like scientific equipment/sensors are on the way! Related to personal narrative.
    • Frontier not done with Guardians, not by a long shot.
    • Galnet update!!! New feature, Galnet Audio which will read out Galnet articles while you’re in flight in your cockpit.
    • New ships!!!
    • “A lot more ships in incoming updates”
    • New ship shown – the Chieftain– work in progress mesh shown. It’s an answer to a dangerous universe and return of Thargoids. It’s an Allance-Lakon vessel, a more military Lakon vessel.
    • More alliance ships on the way!
    • Another new ship announced - then the 1984 version of the Krait is shown! Cue biggest cheer of the night! Then 2018 re-design shown. Unique cockpit placement among with hardpoint placement.
    • Q4 will be largest update for 2018 – there will be a new organisation structure for player groups called Squadron (guilds). Create your own, featuring enhanced communication options regardless of what squadron members are doing in the game.
    • Squadrons can purchase their own fleet carriers! Large, mobile, dockable ships. Squadron members can refuel, rearm etc.
    • Mining improvements! Improvements to detection and extraction of materials. Frontier looking to improve Wild-West feel of prospecting.
    • Concept art of ice planet shown, enhancements coming to planetary surfaces and environments.
    • Improved lighting model, both space and planetary.
    • Improvements to scatter-rock planetary system to improve placements of rocks and other surface objects.
    • Improvements to localised ambient effects including fog.
    • Exploring improvements, to how you find stuff.
    • New feature – the Codex will log your discoveries. It will also serve as an encyclopaedia, and will hint at other potential discoveries for explorers.
    • For explorers, there will be new exploration content and new anomalies to go out and find.
    • There’s a lot more content to be revealed in ED: Beyond. And its all going to be free to Horizons players.
    • But what about 2.4? Sneak peek video!
    • Is that the Type 10? It could be a Type 9 to be honest. Typing and watching so I could be mistaken.
    • SRVs at deserted Inra base.
    • Thargoid ship destroyed in space. One of the human Commanders scoops up something (a Thargoid probe?) at which point 3 Thagroid Interceptors jumps in and unleash swarms of Thargons.

kitarad said:
    Same thing for me I was interested and then I watched a youtube video of some guy trying to land or take off no sure which and it looked too hard for me.

Not hard at all it just looks it.

1. Approach station
    2. open coms panel, go to contacts tab choose station ask permission to dock
    3. Once given take note of which landing pad you are given
    4. fly towards slot or landing pad, you can boost in but there's a speed limit of 100 so lower that to a little under 100 as you enter slot to avoid fine and lower landing gear
    5. look for your Landing pad number as you enter, big glowy yellow box
    6. land on pad.
    Post edited by Asm0deus on
    GdemamiErillion

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    Asm0deus said:
    This is going to sound awful, but I bought the game on Steam and got a refund shortly after trying it.  I tried to land at a space station and could not fucking master it.  The station was rotating and had one little slot that you were supposed find and line up perfectly with while everything was in motion.  On top of that, you had a limited time to do it, or, I believe, the station would blast you to bits.  This had me pulling my hair out in frustration.  For someone of my limited coordination, it was below zero fun.

Was this for a specific mission? Or in general? I would expect mandatory autopilot to dock at any space stations to prevent structural damage when the pilot is drunk or something :p
    You have to manual dock UNLESS you buy a docking computer which is a module that can be added into ships.

Docking is not that hard, unless you're not set up correctly, and just takes a little practice.
    It is maybe not that hard, but I just can't understand why not every spaceship has this option as default. It would make sense in a world where many spaceships dock with space stations every day.

For the situations when you have permission to dock anyway. In other situations like boarding an enemy ship or when your ship is damaged, manually docking could still be a feature. But otherwise it just does not make sense to me considering the theme of the game.

It is imo a pointless upgrade for the sake of having more upgrade choices.
  • HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    edited October 2017
    I think the game looks amazing, but I've never been a fan of games where you are the vehicle, especially in an multiplayer game.

Just don't feel I could have a connection to a ship or space buggy like I would with something that has human characteristics. I can in the sense of owning it, like a car or computer. If that makes sense lol

Babuinix
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    edited October 2017
    Asm0deus said:
    This is going to sound awful, but I bought the game on Steam and got a refund shortly after trying it.  I tried to land at a space station and could not fucking master it.  The station was rotating and had one little slot that you were supposed find and line up perfectly with while everything was in motion.  On top of that, you had a limited time to do it, or, I believe, the station would blast you to bits.  This had me pulling my hair out in frustration.  For someone of my limited coordination, it was below zero fun.

Was this for a specific mission? Or in general? I would expect mandatory autopilot to dock at any space stations to prevent structural damage when the pilot is drunk or something :p
    You have to manual dock UNLESS you buy a docking computer which is a module that can be added into ships.

Docking is not that hard, unless you're not set up correctly, and just takes a little practice.
    It is maybe not that hard, but I just can't understand why not every spaceship has this option as default. It would make sense in a world where many spaceships dock with space stations every day.

For the situations when you have permission to dock anyway. In other situations like boarding an enemy ship or when your ship is damaged, manually docking could still be a feature. But otherwise it just does not make sense to me considering the theme of the game.

It is imo a pointless upgrade for the sake of having more upgrade choices.
    It goes in a utility slot so it's like this so your choice to use it or not has consequences, as in if you can't dock yourself well you lose out on a slot that could be used for something that you might need/want more.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615
    Because I don't want to.
    Babuinix

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    Gdemami said:
    I am not sure if it would classify as making me not to play the game but there are 2 things that definitely hinder my enjoyment of the game:

1) bigger ship = better ship

ship selection is to my taste way too narrow and limited and so are ship fitting options

2) out of ship experience

planetary landings, commanders and alike that takes away from flying spaceships

This was a huge letdown to me.

The game is also bit too much to me of airplanes in space but that is I think I can live with. Overall the game is great though.
    Can't let this post go by without comment as it is truly momentous. 

It is the first time I've ever seen you specifically name a game you like or actually play.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Its a wonderful game. My dream game, in fact I pledged on kickstarter the moment it was announced.

But I am not playing, because its so empty. It is in fact single player game, with very limited networking.

And this is for some reason intentional - They could have made it more multiplayer , more MMO , more social , more connected - but they dont want , and constantly ignore every request to do so.

If they would at least implement guilds, mail, trading, auction house, - and most importantly chat.
    The game would change and be worth playing.
    Ahh..now I understand the draw of this game for @Gdemami...little focus on "silly" socialization mechanics. 

;)

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited October 2017
    Its a wonderful game. My dream game, in fact I pledged on kickstarter the moment it was announced.

But I am not playing, because its so empty. It is in fact single player game, with very limited networking.

And this is for some reason intentional - They could have made it more multiplayer , more MMO , more social , more connected - but they dont want , and constantly ignore every request to do so.

If they would at least implement guilds, mail, trading, auction house, - and most importantly chat.
    The game would change and be worth playing.

I partly agree. The choice of networking and the reliance on the background simulation has constrained it in some ways, especially for those looking for a more 'traditional' MMO experience.

As for guilds and multiplayer, you'll be pleased to know this is something they are addressing next year, guilds (or squadrons as they'll be known in Elite) are going to be introduced, there will be guild management tools, I assume guild chat, permissions for various stuff and perhaps most importantly, you will be able to purchase a carrier as your guild base, you can then move it where you want, dock your ships, refuel, rearm etc.

They are also making wing missions for more social play etc.
    OK, this is the sort of missing functionality which I consider to be part of the core of a multiplayer game. 

As mentioned earlier its focus (so far) has largely been on a single player experience with the socialization and multiplayer coming down the road.

Which is why I've always felt this game isn't finished yet and I keep waiting to try it once it reaches an acceptable MVP, based on what I'm looking for.

I didn't try EVE until 2007, well after it launched and had really been fleshed out quite a bit.

From what I've read in this thread and on the Exposition so far, won't likely be any time soon that I'll be trying this title.   

Besides, I'm still not sure Minimally Multiplayer Online  (MinMOs) games are my thing.

Thanks to all sharing this info. 

• BeyornBeyorn Member UncommonPosts: 366

Erillion said:
    Beyorn said:
    I tried to land a ship ;D.
    Dock in a station or land on a planet ?   Both are easy.

Docking is absolutely easy when using a docking computer - you hit a button and the computer is doing the rest.

Weeellll ... maybe you do it manually when you have a hot cargo and want to dump it at the Black Market of a station under the rule of  theocratic tyranny ;-)   But the profits ... ohhh.... the profits!

Have fun
    Dock on a station ;(.  I had no problems until I tried to land and I couldn't get the damn landing gear down.  I thought I might be bugged so I tried doing it again.  I tried the tutorial around 5 times and it got to frustrating to continue, also I had to replace the "L" key on my keyboard ;D.  I played some time ago so maybe it is better now
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Beyorn said:

Dock on a station ;(.  I had no problems until I tried to land and I couldn't get the damn landing gear down.  I thought I might be bugged so I tried doing it again.  I tried the tutorial around 5 times and it got to frustrating to continue, also I had to replace the "L" key on my keyboard ;D.  I played some time ago so maybe it is better now
    Sounds like a bug ... or a problem with key binding being non standard.

Suggestion: Uninstall. Restart computer. Install with default settings.

Have fun

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    The whole docking procedure seemed like a gamey substitute for actual gameplay.  For reals, the first time a ship plowed into a station, alternatives would be implemented.   Don't care for their non-abstraction there.
    Gdemamisomeforumguy

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498
    I put 20 hours into it... didn't grab me.  I liked the original better.  Gave my ED account away.
    Babuinix
  • sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    I like many other games better than it.  Its not one of the better games imo.
    Babuinix