Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

10,000 Free Steam Games (SPONSORED) - General Developer Journals

2»

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,987
    MadBetty said:

Freezzo said:

As a critical consumer, my question is: what's the catch? Of course, nobody gives away free stuff, so I wonder: what happens with the data collected? What's the actual business model?

Also, I happen to find a lack of privacy policy disturbing, as it's mentioned in the terms and conditions. Also, there is no cookie disclaimer, which means the whole business is not compliant with EU laws.

The final point I want to make it the link to G2A pay and thus G2A, which is well-known for its 'legal' key controversies.

Is this something MMORPG really wants to affiliate with?

Hi, G2A Pay is just a payment processor, we do not have any additional links to that company. We do not purchase games or any other products from third party retailers - only direct/official publishers or distributors. The business model is simple - we promote games :) and award users who decide to spend their time on playing.
    That's actually not a business model.  That fact that you think it is... is honestly kind of scary.

XingbairongRexKushmanunfilteredJW

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

I got "Turn Around"... won't be playing. :D

Every now and then I get a little bit lonely
    And you're never coming round...

Anyway, too much work for a random free game which I probably won't like and might already have, especially given that I don't game much on PC these days anyway.
    BillMurphyConstantineMerus

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• DaranarDaranar Member UncommonPosts: 392
    edited October 2017
    It's funny how many people complain about Free stuff because it's too many clicks lol. I'm also confused at how many people are struggling to understand the business model. Game companies clearly seem to be paying this Banantic company to have their games promoted (including referral links). Then in order to build and keep a customer base, Banatic takes a small portion of their profits to run a reward system.

As far as not having a cookie notice pop-up, a ton of websites don't. You don't need one if you aren't 'operating' in EU, regardless if your site is accessible from EU. Not sure what is sketchy about that. Just a lot of odd comments. More than usual for the MMORPG community at least lol.

If I want a world in which people can purchase success and power with cash, I'll play Real Life. Keep Virtual Worlds Virtual!

• TaishiFoxTaishiFox Member RarePosts: 999
    *gives shifty eyed look at the video and walks away*
    TheScavenger

imageimage

• FighterPORFighterPOR Member CommonPosts: 1
    Too bad it only works in some countries. Portuguese people can't participate
  • SignexSignex Member UncommonPosts: 318
    Works in Holland.
    AMD Ryzen 5800X3D - Gigabyte Aorus RTX 3080 10G Master - 16GB RAM
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited October 2017
    This sort of stuff has been going on for some time now.

it is the use of various FAKE currencies,you know like the familiar bitcoin and others.in this case it is banana's.

I believe it is called "cryptocurrency".Although it can be said the idea of fake currencies are good because no one entity owns the rights,for how long and this case,an entity does own the banana's?The fact is stuff like that ,banana's are not real currency.
    This is actually feeding an epedemic that is tying millions/billions of users information to and from Facebook and linking into their friends of friends etc etc via trackers and cookies.

IMO very suspect,boderline legal.This operates exactly like those sites that say "make free money"
    So they have you go register on other sites ,then you have to play their game or likely purchase something in those games etc etc.This operates basically like referral systems,by hoping to get a million or so participants,they can ring up real money faster than you can ring up banana's.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• TofkeTofke Member UncommonPosts: 342
    Torval said:
    Tofke said:

jgDuffay said:

What is MMORPG.com devolving into.
    clearly says SPONSORED, tho ..
    Still... giving a platform to this nonsense.
    Then again, it also gives a platform for my nonsense... :P
    It's an advert. Paying to spout nonsense is exactly what ads and sponsored content is about. That's why it says 'sponsored'.
    Why would you assume that I didn't recognize it as an ad? One can still be selective about those...
  • AonevmAonevm Member UncommonPosts: 26
    needs a new account and only on certain games, so it has new user deals with those game companies ... that's how it makes money. and giving away $1 crap games nobody has heard of cost it really nothing :)
  • debialiendebialien Member UncommonPosts: 1
    useless system. never think about spending your precious time. Useless at all ! -1
  • dotdotdashdotdotdash Member UncommonPosts: 488

Wizardry said:

This sort of stuff has been going on for some time now.

it is the use of various FAKE currencies,you know like the familiar bitcoin and others.in this case it is banana's.

I believe it is called "cryptocurrency".Although it can be said the idea of fake currencies are good because no one entity owns the rights,for how long and this case,an entity does own the banana's?The fact is stuff like that ,banana's are not real currency.

This is actually feeding an epedemic that is tying millions/billions of users information to and from Facebook and linking into their friends of friends etc etc via trackers and cookies.

IMO very suspect,boderline legal.This operates exactly like those sites that say "make free money"

So they have you go register on other sites ,then you have to play their game or likely purchase something in those games etc etc.This operates basically like referral systems,by hoping to get a million or so participants,they can ring up real money faster than you can ring up banana's.

You believe wrong.

Further, the hate that G2A receives is entirely unwarranted within the grand scheme of things. Far more in the way of legitimate keys are sold through their marketplace than anything else. People happily use Amazon to purchase whatever products they wish, without every complaining about the endless forgeries, illegal weapons, counterfeit products and software, stolen goods, that move through their marketplace, so I have no idea why people complain so aggressively about G2A.

As for this being a scam? MMORPG have a long and colourful history of running sponsored content from untrustworthy and exploitative companies without any vetting or oversight. You just have to look at the website to realise that this is a nickle and dime outfit. From paying the worst game journalists in the industry, to running the cheapest and most archaic software to power a site that has effectively monopolised genre coverage, to running these sorts of sponsored content? Anything that MMORPG allows a sponsored spot for is likely a scam of some kind. The entire operation has been a scam for years.
    Kyleran
  • KyllsynKyllsyn Member UncommonPosts: 110
    I got Winexy.

Another game to sit in my steam library and collect dust.
    all derp'd out and nowhere to herpaderp.
  • BC_AnimusBC_Animus Member UncommonPosts: 115

DMKano said:

The last thing I need is more Steam games - my library is at 850+ games (havent checked as I just got 6 games from humble monthly on Friday)

Ive played less than 100 of those games.....

First world problems....right?

Check out https://steamdb.info/calculator/. Interesting stats.
  • TazdragoTazdrago Member UncommonPosts: 44
    How is that a FREE steam key, have you seen all the work you have to do to get the key ?
  • BananableBananable Member UncommonPosts: 194

We are not available in your country.... gg :/

Congratulations!You have been bananed!

P.S. Me too (sigh)
    ConstantineMerus
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Tazdrago said:
    How is that a FREE steam key, have you seen all the work you have to do to get the key ?
    Yeah kinda like going to work to get monies for free. 
    kryntok
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    I noticed that they are quite intrusive on your browser, at least on mine, always making random stuff pop up.
    Perjure
  • AnnaMcAvoyAnnaMcAvoy Member CommonPosts: 3
    I got "Bold New World".... fuck me. I want my time back, or a visually playable game, jesus.
  • SemuneSemune Member UncommonPosts: 15
    edited October 2017
    The "free games" are games that literally nobody buys anymore. It's the same scam that g2a peddles on their website. They aren't even "not very well known games", they're games that DON'T SELL AT ALL ANYMORE, if they ever did.

The site gains WAY more than you ever do with this, it's essentially contracting you out for a job where you work for free with a payout of not even a penny, because it's just a game that you never even wanted or will play.

People that say "why complain, it's free?" don't understand how businesses like this work. You work for them, they give you a pat on the back for your efforts. Is time not worth money? Last I checked, your time should be worth well more than a little bit of "working" for a $1 game that you will never play.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Some big names sites have started actually giving away their older games just for you to login and check out what they have. Also free timed trials for their newer games.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• AnnaMcAvoyAnnaMcAvoy Member CommonPosts: 3
    They gave me the same game, TWICE
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    edited October 2017
    @MadBetty "The business model is simple - we promote games :) and award users who decide to spend their time on playing."

Well... Someone is paying something somewhere... Cause bandwidth is not free.. Neither is hosting or having art assets created.... So... I guess it is the people who want to be promoted that pays you? I sure hope that is where the train stops. Because while facebook can get away with selling data.... You ain´t them and your "promoters" or what we should call the people who earn your crypto coin....will very likely be very pissed if it turns out that you just farmed them for user data.

"but they got free games"

Sure.. Games that could not make a blip on the radar to begin with... Not saying they are all bad, i am sure there are some true gems in there... But my guess is that there will be very few top line games given away.
    jackocomp

This have been a good conversation

• jackocompjackocomp Member UncommonPosts: 50
    Hmmm got Winexy as the so called FREE game. think I will call it a FREE LOAD of CRAP!

I would suggest people not waste their time or effort with this as there is a whole lot more than meets the eye going on with that bloody site. Have a GOOD look around the site, 75% of the buttons don't work or basically just refresh the current screen & that is it!

So I am not sure what the TRUE story is with this site but I won't be going back & I would suggest that others be careful if they are going to try it out....
  • IshkalIshkal Member UncommonPosts: 304
    SCAM