Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why are you NOT playing Elite: Dangerous?

Comments

• klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    Asm0deus said:
    klash2def said:
    ...snip...
    This is how I know you just want to argue. I literally showed you where the guy says he wants to add item x and item a and you still say its hogwash.. why? Because its not happening in the time-frame you want it to?

I never said its happening right away. Stop creating that narrative. I never said all this is coming soon..  I said its happening, its in the works.. and its based on his word. I trust his word over yours when it comes to development of the game sorry.
    Practice what you preach otherwise your armor gets dull real quick. 
    That is all.

Anyways to get back on track:

Frontier Expo 2017

https://www.reddit.com/live/zpss9yz5ok3c

An even better practice I'm into is not lying and making up shit to fit a narrative. You should try it.

Also the topic is not Frontier Expo 2017.
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,389
    edited October 2017
    klash2def said:
    Asm0deus said:
    klash2def said:
    ...snip...
    This is how I know you just want to argue. I literally showed you where the guy says he wants to add item x and item a and you still say its hogwash.. why? Because its not happening in the time-frame you want it to?

I never said its happening right away. Stop creating that narrative. I never said all this is coming soon..  I said its happening, its in the works.. and its based on his word. I trust his word over yours when it comes to development of the game sorry.
    Practice what you preach otherwise your armor gets dull real quick. 
    That is all.

Anyways to get back on track:

Frontier Expo 2017

https://www.reddit.com/live/zpss9yz5ok3c

An even better practice I'm into is not lying and making up shit to fit a narrative. You should try it.

Really here's you caught in a lie,

klash2def said:
    ..snip...
    lol I like how you are putting all the ED players in 2 boxes.. either "They can do no wrong, best space game EVA" or "Pretty lame additions not well done."

I'm neither of those.. i'm more a "I want them to add all these things to improve it, but I can wait patiently because I'm patient and want a high quality product" type of person. 
    ..snip..
    This is a lie cause I never said there was two camp only, I made a comment about those two camps because they are the two polar extremes which is pretty clear to see if you read or quote ALL the relevant stuff in that same post.

Look at the same post again,

Asm0deus said:
    ...snip...

Basically there are some people than think FD can do no wrong and have built the bestest most amazing space game EVA and some that think what has been added is pretty lame and not well done.

It's up to everyone here to decide which camp they are in or hopefully like myself are not in either and think ED has lots of possibilities ...snip...

Oh look you have been caught lying by omission!

Oh and the expo is relevant because it will give us real information on what to expect in the "near future" of ED which is quite relevant to this thread.
    GdemamiShaddyDaddyklash2defKyleran

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

...snip...

But that's not a bad thing.  If they can deepen the core mechanics of the game then great. For example, exploration is acceptable right now, the places you can go are great, some are really impressive but the mechanics behind it are quite lacking, if they improve those things it only makes for a better game.

It'll be interesting to see what they discuss for next year at their expo later on today.

Indeed I think it is a good thing as pretty much what I have been saying is that the core gameplay is lacking.  I feel because the core gameplay is lacking the little other content they add is by default lacking as it relies on core gameplay.

Gdemami

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135
    Its a dull, superficial game. Only a shadow of what original was (at that time). And the price is not really appealing to jump into. I got it, expecting at least a trace of old feeling. Found none, not playing it any more. Wasted money, wasted dreams.
    GdemamiAsm0deusrpmcmurphyJamesGoblin

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

edited October 2017
    Asm0deus said:
    klash2def said:

klash2def said:
    ..snip...
    lol I like how you are putting all the ED players in 2 boxes.. either "They can do no wrong, best space game EVA" or "Pretty lame additions not well done."

I'm neither of those.. i'm more a "I want them to add all these things to improve it, but I can wait patiently because I'm patient and want a high quality product" type of person. 
    ..snip..
    This is a lie cause I never said there was two camp only, I made a comment about those two camps because they are the two polar extremes which is pretty clear to see if you read or quote ALL the relevant stuff in that same post.

Asm0deus said:
    ...snip...

Basically there are some people than think FD can do no wrong and have built the bestest most amazing space game EVA and some that think what has been added is pretty lame and not well done.

It's up to everyone here to decide which camp they are in or hopefully like myself are not in either and think ED has lots of possibilities ...snip...

Oh and the expo is relevant because it will give us real information on what to expect in the "near future" of ED which is quite relevant to this thread.
    Nothing I said is a lie and that's not even a nice try..you absolutely broke it down into two groups.. specifically two.

*confused face* 

Ok..I'm going to help you out using your  quote:

Group 1: "Basically there are some people than think FD can do no wrong and have built the bestest most amazing space game EVA"

GROUP 2: "and some that think what has been added is pretty lame and not well done."

Then you followed up.. solidifying your two group theory with:

"It's up to everyone here to decide which camp they are in or hopefully like myself are not in either and think ED has lots of possibilities"

Now what I said and please read slowly:

" lol I like how you are putting all the ED players in 2 boxes.. either "They can do no wrong, best space game EVA" or "Pretty lame additions not well done."

I'm neither of those.. i'm more a "I want them to add all these things to improve it, but I can wait patiently because I'm patient and want a high quality product" type of person. "

This is really funny because you think you are proving a point by quoting what you said.. but what you said supports my point exactly. 

tbh What are you talking about. I never lied. What I said is exactly what you did.

This is what I'm talking about..you and this failing narrative. Please stop responding. 

ShaddyDaddybwwianakiev
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

edited October 2017
    klash2def said:
    Asm0deus said:
    klash2def said:

klash2def said:
    ..snip...

..snip..

Asm0deus said:
    ...snip...

Nothing I said is a lie and that's not even a nice try..you absolutely broke it down into two groups.. specifically two.

*confused face* 

Group 1: "Basically there are some people than think FD can do no wrong and have built the bestest most amazing space game EVA"

GROUP 2: "and some that think what has been added is pretty lame and not well done."

"It's up to everyone here to decide which camp they are in or hopefully like myself are not in either and think ED has lots of possibilities"

" lol I like how you are putting all the ED players in 2 boxes.. either "They can do no wrong, best space game EVA" or "Pretty lame additions not well done."

I'm neither of those.. i'm more a "I want them to add all these things to improve it, but I can wait patiently because I'm patient and want a high quality product" type of person. "

This is really funny because you think you are proving a point by quoting what I said.. but what you said supports my point exactly. 

tbh What are you talking about. I never lied. What I said is exactly what you did.

This is what I'm talking about..you and this failing narrative. Please stop responding. 

Dude the very first sentence in my next paragraph was a direct qualifier of what I was meaning in the previous.  Is English not your first language?  The two "groups" are called "paragraphs". Just because a subject is split into paragraphs does not equal unrelated.

You lie by claiming I said there was two groups and that is it.

When what I was clearly saying was there's two extremes being such and such and that hopefully most people fall somewhere in between these two extreme polar opposites.

You are lying to try and fit me into YOUR narrative and have been caught red handed, man up already.
    Gdemamiklash2def

Asm0deus said:
    klash2def said:
    Asm0deus said:
    klash2def said:

klash2def said:
    ..snip...

..snip..

Asm0deus said:
    ...snip...

*confused face* 

This is really funny because you think you are proving a point by quoting what I said.. but what you said supports my point exactly. 

Dude the very first sentence in my next paragraph was a direct qualifier of what I was meaning in the previous.  Is English not your first language?

You lie by claiming I said there was two groups and that is it.

When what I was clearly saying was there's two extremes being such and such and that hopefully most people fall somewhere in between these two extreme polar opposites.

You are lying to try and fit me into YOUR narrative and have been caught red handed, man up already.
    lmaooo 

ok. sure m8........

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,071
    edited October 2017
    Kyleran said:
    Erillion said:
    Like Star Citizen it limits the players in every instance - a price you have to pay for visual fidelity.

So .. E:D is not a MMO in the sense that EVE is an MMO ... no 4000 players in the same spot at the same time in the same instance (and yes, I know, EVE uses all kinds of tricks to do that and it still is a lagfest deluxe).

It is a multiplayer game, but not a "massively" multiplayer game.

Have fun
     Is there preset limit or does the number of players vary situationally?

Any plans to try and increase the limits some or is 32 (or whatever it is) likely to remain the same going forward?

It varys situationally. The only reason 32 gets thrown around is because back in the beta they said they were upping the numbers to 32 (at that time), but there's plenty of videos where people go way past that. It does tend to get a bit laggy though seeing it's using a peer-to-peer setup.
    Could you link to one? I have yet to find a video where there are more than a handful of spaceships in the same "space" (this after YouTubing things like "big E:D battle").

This isn't about numbers for numbers sake. It's important because it affects things like "is it possible to set up a blockade, or will my target simply phase into the next instance?"

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,295
    edited October 2017
    Could you link to one? I have yet to find a video where there are more than a handful of spaceships in the same "space" (this after YouTubing things like "big E:D battle").

This isn't about numbers for numbers sake. It's important because it affects things like "is it possible to set up a blockade, or will my target simply phase into the next instance?"
    httpswwwrockpapershotguncomimages16febelitesagjpg

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/02/23/watch-a-huge-elite-dangerous-fleet-enter-hyperspace/

As mentioned upthread ... you will not find large E:D fleet battles. All these large player gatherings are event gatherings, without fighting. Often its a racing or exploration event.

Have fun

PhryJamesGoblin
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,071
    edited October 2017
    Erillion said:

httpswwwrockpapershotguncomimages16febelitesagjpg

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/02/23/watch-a-huge-elite-dangerous-fleet-enter-hyperspace/

As mentioned upthread ... you will not find large E:D fleet battles. All these large player gatherings are event gatherings, without fighting. Often its a racing or exploration event.

Have fun

Okay, why is that? Article makes it look like going above the regular limit is somehow tied to the group mechanic? Does this preclude combat? 

...if so, what is the regular limit? I refuse to believe combat just doesn't happen because E:D is a pacifist society. 
    Post edited by Phaserlight on

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• BeyornBeyorn Member UncommonPosts: 366
    I tried to land a ship ;D.
    Beyorn said:
    Dock in a station or land on a planet ?   Both are easy.

Docking is absolutely easy when using a docking computer - you hit a button and the computer is doing the rest.

Weeellll ... maybe you do it manually when you have a hot cargo and want to dump it at the Black Market of a station under the rule of  theocratic tyranny ;-)   But the profits ... ohhh.... the profits!

Have fun
    Phry
    Okay, why is that? Article makes it look like going above the regular limit is somehow tied to the group mechanic? Does this preclude combat? 

...if so, what is the regular limit? I refuse to believe combat just doesn't happen because E:D is a pacifist society. 
    I think you will find the answers faster if you ask the best:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Elite_PVP/wiki/index

https://www.vrheads.com/8-quick-tips-and-tricks-survive-pvp-combat-elite-dangerous

The limit is variable ... as this is a peer-to-peer network game, the limit is higher if the hosting computer is powerful. But you never know in advance.

Combat DOES happen and - as you can see from the list above - there are quite a few proud PvP experts in the game. They can train and teach you.

Have fun

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    edited October 2017

You can't really set up a blockade because where you warp in is not a predetermined spot, at least not like EVE's jump gates. If you were trying to restrict system access it would need to be done via interdictions in supercruise.

Phaserlight
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Beyorn said:
    First time can be a bit iffy, you have to be close enough before you can request landing/docking permission, you have a limited amount of time to actually land, and there are speed limits and other spacecraft doing the same thing, and your usually scanned for 'contraband' and criminal status at some point too, you can learn several lessons the hard way the first time you land :p
    rpmcmurphy
    Phry said:
    Beyorn said:
    First time can be a bit iffy, you have to be close enough before you can request landing/docking permission, you have a limited amount of time to actually land, and there are speed limits and other spacecraft doing the same thing, and your usually scanned for 'contraband' and criminal status at some point too, you can learn several lessons the hard way the first time you land :p

They could also train the landing on one of the smaller outlying stations.

They are non-rotating, have only 4 landing pads ... and they are on the outside of the stations, not the inside. The pads are visible from kilometers away.

It is also made easier by almost no traffic from player or NPC ships. No other ships cutting into your traffic lane as you try to pass the entry gate of a Coriolis rotating station.

Have fun
  • bwwianakievbwwianakiev Member UncommonPosts: 119
    LeFantome said:
    No one is playing?

I think a lot of people are. I constantly run into other commanders. What game are you playing?

You're not playing the same game as us, for sure. The game is empty. OP, I stop playing because there is not enough content and the grind is way to real for me.
    Yup. The grind is insanely bad. Engineers ruined it for me. Their solution to always have gains in engineer RNG is still bullshit. Basically loot chests. I'd rather watch Obsidian Ant play. Although it is probably the best VR game out there.
  • bwwianakievbwwianakiev Member UncommonPosts: 119
    klash2def said:
    Asm0deus said:
    klash2def said:

klash2def said:
    ..snip...

..snip..

Asm0deus said:
    ...snip...

*confused face* 

This is really funny because you think you are proving a point by quoting what you said.. but what you said supports my point exactly. 

You mad me lawl
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963
    Its a wonderful game. My dream game, in fact I pledged on kickstarter the moment it was announced.

But I am not playing, because its so empty. It is in fact single player game, with very limited networking.

And this is for some reason intentional - They could have made it more multiplayer , more MMO , more social , more connected - but they dont want , and constantly ignore every request to do so.

If they would at least implement guilds, mail, trading, auction house, - and most importantly chat.
    The game would change and be worth playing.
    Gdemami

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    edited October 2017
    Personally its because to reach any kind of fun part normally takes a while. Since it is at the end game.

If there were elements of the game that I could see being fun early on, then I would give it a try.

Which is why instances for pvp, or mini games such as racing or gambling, among other possible mechanics could be interesting quests are important for any game to hook their player. And that is what they should market at least on their webpage that early on the game is fun (and not just say it but have a list that I can use to entice me), and what to expect for end game.

So firstly I am not aware if those do exist (fun mechanics early in the game), and if they dont, then that is why.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    edited October 2017
    Its a wonderful game. My dream game, in fact I pledged on kickstarter the moment it was announced.

But I am not playing, because its so empty. It is in fact single player game, with very limited networking.

And this is for some reason intentional - They could have made it more multiplayer , more MMO , more social , more connected - but they dont want , and constantly ignore every request to do so.

If they would at least implement guilds, mail, trading, auction house, - and most importantly chat.
    The game would change and be worth playing.

I partly agree. The choice of networking and the reliance on the background simulation has constrained it in some ways, especially for those looking for a more 'traditional' MMO experience.

As for guilds and multiplayer, you'll be pleased to know this is something they are addressing next year, guilds (or squadrons as they'll be known in Elite) are going to be introduced, there will be guild management tools, I assume guild chat, permissions for various stuff and perhaps most importantly, you will be able to purchase a carrier as your guild base, you can then move it where you want, dock your ships, refuel, rearm etc.

They are also making wing missions for more social play etc.
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    The game looks interesting.  I bought it and realized I would have to put in way more effort than my interest meter had in store just to figure out the basics.  So I returned it. I'm very interested in complex rpgs, but I'm stuck on a much lower level of functionality when it comes to space fighting games.  Starpoint Gemini are the most advanced level of space sim my interest level lets me get involved in.

GdemamiJamesGoblin
  • PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    blamo2000 said:
    The game looks interesting.  I bought it and realized I would have to put in way more effort than my interest meter had in store just to figure out the basics.  So I returned it. I'm very interested in complex rpgs, but I'm stuck on a much lower level of functionality when it comes to space fighting games.  Starpoint Gemini are the most advanced level of space sim my interest level lets me get involved in.
    I tried playing too.  The game seemed awesome tho...

Samhael