Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sparc (PS4) Review - New Balls - Not So MMO - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited October 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageSparc (PS4) Review - New Balls - Not So MMO - MMORPG.com

We’ve played space fighters and racing games, but how would a virtual reality sport stack up? Gareth Harmer pulls on his sneakers and heads courtside in our Sparc review.

Read the full story here

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Looks like crap.
    They try to toss in those realistic human characters in between shots but in reality the game characters look like cheap robots.You also seem to have the exact same model,so the game made one frigging model,that is about as lame cheap as it gets.

I saw some gaming website rate it up based on using it to get a workout,sorry but that does not rate a game up,you can do workouts without video games,matter of fact,i am about to head to the gym after i type this up.

The game surface is cheap,characters bad,gameplay is barely a step up from pong ,i wouldn't give this more than a 2/10 actually worse,it is a very good example as to why i can't take VR seriously,at least not yet.

If they put some effort into the models instead of using the futuristic idea to support one cheap model and upgraded them to look aesthetic i could upgrade the game to a 4/10 but it needs way too much work.

What i am looking at ,appears to be about 4-6 months worth of work by a very small team,yet i see it is CCP,pretty bad offering for CCP,i expect better.So i assume this is their rush job to get something into the VR market and that is what is wrong with gaming right now,too many studios are businesses cornering markets ,instead of being great game designers.

I would expect something like this from a "create something Unreal contest",it is actually very similar to what i have seen from that stuff and those were usually made by one person in less than a year.I noticed a golf game when i was checking his out on another site,the gold game actually at least looks pretty good and i can see some effort into the maps/course,i see little to no effort put into this game.

Gazimoff

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    I can't believe how come no one has made a game yet to wield swords and shields and crap. Even a For Honor version would do us a world of good. I mean if no one plans to, I'm willing to invest on such a concept. /Desperation
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • GazimoffGazimoff Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 225
    Wizardry said:

Looks like crap.

Wizardry, I don't often comment on the shite that you seem to spout with reckless abandon, but I feel the need to call you out on the utter bollocks you seem to think resembles intelligent discourse.

Let's start at the top:

You also seem to have the exact same model,so the game made one frigging model,that is about as lame cheap as it gets.

Wrong. Male and female models, plus you can change hairstyles, suits, clothing, etc and do different dyes. But even so, you're playing a human versus a human in a sports game. What did you expect - orcs versus bug-eyed monsters?

I saw some gaming website rate it up based on using it to get a workout,sorry but that does not rate a game up,you can do workouts without video games,matter of fact,i am about to head to the gym after i type this up.

Whoop de do, have a gold star for going to the gym. You can do many things without video games, doesn't mean we should criticise them just for doing something different. Next you'll be wanting to criticise historical documentaries for daring to educate you or some other such drivel.
    If they put some effort into the models instead of using the futuristic idea to support one cheap model and upgraded them to look aesthetic i could upgrade the game to a 4/10 but it needs way too much work.

Have you actually had a look at the technical specs of PlayStation VR? Here's a hint: https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/explore/playstation-vr/tech-specs/

With the low resolution (960x1080 per eye) and the level of 'screen dooring' that occurs, trying to do anything with high detail textures is a waste of time - it becomes an indistinct mush. There's much more focus on clear geometry and colour palletes, whether it's a sports game or something more traditional. What you're asking for is not suitable for the current technology. But you'd know that if you'd tried it.
    What i am looking at ,appears to be about 4-6 months worth of work by a very small team,yet i see it is CCP,pretty bad offering for CCP,i expect better.So i assume this is their rush job to get something into the VR market and that is what is wrong with gaming right now,too many studios are businesses cornering markets ,instead of being great game designers.
    And here's the biggest example of facts you just happened to pull straight from your ass. Sparc originally started out as a prototype called Disc Arena by CCP Atlanta back in March 2015. It was voted on by FanFest attendees as a game they wanted to see developed further, and you can read more about it here. http://www.pcgamer.com/hands-on-with-ccps-new-vr-prototypes/

A year later, CCP returned with Project Arena, which developed the concept further and got closer to the current aesthetic. It was incredibly popular with fans, and I had a go on it myself. You can read those 2016 reports below. So much for your '4-6 month rush job'.

http://www.mmorpg.com/previews/ccp-unveils-project-arena-1000010781
    http://www.mmorpg.com/previews/project-arena-hopping-around-with-my-vive-on-1000011118 

I like encouraging intelligent and thought-provoking discussion on this site but, if you're going to continue with such easily demonstrable tripe, maybe it's better if you just shout at a wall for a while instead.
    [Deleted User]Splattr
    Player of games, smither of words, former of opinions, and masher of keys. WildStar Columnist
    Currently playing: WildStar, Guild Wars 2, EVE Online, Vain Glory.
  • LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    I can't believe how come no one has made a game yet to wield swords and shields and crap. Even a For Honor version would do us a world of good. I mean if no one plans to, I'm willing to invest on such a concept. /Desperation

There is a rpg that was fantastic, one of the highest rated VR games and one of my favorite. Sadly its only about 2 hours worth of gameplay.