Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen - Alpha 3.0 out to Evocati player testers

ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
edited October 2017 in Star Citizen

Comments

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    About time :)

In other news, Will Leverett said that anyone who has spent over $1000 will get 1st access to the PTU.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    If you paid a thousand+ dollars, you should get first access to the PTU.

Plus, you are more likely to be a sympathetic audience. 
    kikoodutroa8

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Or you pay for a basic starter package (54 Euro), have a lot of time, write good player tester error reports and be a member of the Evocati, getting access even sooner than those with "Concierge" access to PTU.

Have fun
    Erillion said:
    Or you pay for a basic starter package (54 Euro), have a lot of time, write good player tester error reports and be a member of the Evocati, getting access even sooner than those with "Concierge" access to PTU.

Have fun

Kind of like saying you can buy a 50cc moped, practise in your driveway and enter the Isle Of Man TT.

I'd imagine there are limited numbers for the evcoati, most people in that group are going to be very protective of their evocati status so the chances of a newbie finding bugs that these guys are hunting for (to keep their place) is going to be rather slim.

>>>>
    Kind of like saying you can buy a 50cc moped, practise in your driveway and enter the Isle Of Man TT.
    >>>>

Completely wrong comparison.

Everyone has a chance to test and submit reports via Issue Council. If you consistently submit excellent test reports, you get an Evocati invite.

I even know people that joined CIG QA because they consistently submitted excellent test reports.

Have fun

• WedlenWedlen Member UncommonPosts: 146
    This is good to see. Depends on how this 3.0 version is I will either remain skeptical or this is will completely change my mind on if this game will release in the next 5 years or not.
    https://i.imgur.com/1aYOLBD.gif

Brace yourself, Miles ... the Evocati are comin

Have fun
    Patch notes Alpha 3.0

https://pastebin.com/ns8vTSp4

Have fun

• OrinoriOrinori Member RarePosts: 751

In other news, Will Leverett said that anyone who has spent over $1000 will get 1st access to the PTU.
    Erillion said:
    Completely wrong comparison.

Everyone has a chance to test and submit reports via Issue Council. If you consistently submit excellent test reports, you get an Evocati invite.

I even know people that joined CIG QA because they consistently submitted excellent test reports.

Have fun

Not at all. As a newbie you're "competing" against people with lots of experience, that's the comparison. The evocati know how to present their reports, what CIG are looking for to replicate them etc.

I even know people that consistently submitted excellent bug reports who didn't make it into evocati, let alone CIG QA.

/shrug
    Asm0deus
    Orinori said:

Stupid broken quote system. Anyway, by 'in other news' you mean really really old news for people who actually like and follow SC? PTU has always been rolled out in stages increasing the group of testers per stage. The crazy people who spent over 1k get a small perk of being in the first rollout wave after evocati testing, I think also they include how long you have been a backer in the selection process for these waves.
  • DXSinsDXSins Member UncommonPosts: 324
    Too early to say roll on 3.1? So i will be able to progress out of the starting ship :).

Also good to hear the new patcher is finally coming out... waited 2 years because how bad the last one was. Hopefully they fixed the max connections issues since i last tested the game, where the launcher would drain the entire network even when limiting the download speed.
    >>>>
    As a newbie you're "competing" against people with lots of experience, that's the comparison. The evocati know how to present their reports, what CIG are looking for to replicate them etc.
    >>>>

EVERYONE can see how to present a good bug report

That is what the Issue Council is for. It even shows it in a flow chart. With a step by step list what where how ....

And you can click on the reports sent in by other people e.g.

So there is no "sikrit best practice bug reporting". Anyone who can read can see what is a good bug report .. and submit his/her own.

Have fun

I even know people that consistently submitted excellent bug reports who didn't make it into evocati, let alone CIG QA.

/shrug
    I heard there is a built in safety system to prevent goons and others of ill intent from being able to participate. That could be the problem there. 
    rpmcmurphy
    Orinori said:

/shrug
    I heard there is a built in safety system to prevent goons and others of ill intent from being able to participate. That could be the problem there. 

No dear, this is a couple of friends in a gaming guild I used to be part of, they both have a few hundred in the game and remain upbeat and keen about it.
  • gir243gir243 Member UncommonPosts: 50
    Anyone else find it funny this news hits while Max is banned?  Probably making an alt account right now.
  • Kane72Kane72 Member UncommonPosts: 211
    Surely technology, trends, patience etc will all have moved on by the time this game gets released?  I cannot think of anything more painful.
    Kane72 said:
    Surely technology, trends, patience etc will all have moved on by the time this game gets released?  I cannot think of anything more painful.
    Anything more "painful" than a game taking a typical amount of time in development ? And technology evolving during this time, which is normal.

Games of this type typically take between 5 and 7 years development time (there was a famous picture in many threads here that listed typical development times). The Kickstarter campaign was in Oct/Nov 2012, now its Oct. 2017.

Personally i do not feel "pain" when considering those facts.  You do ?

Have fun
  • JakobmillerJakobmiller Member RarePosts: 674
    @Erillion I do not personally follow SC that much these days, but I appreciate what you do to back up everything that is being said and done around the development of the game. Nice to get all the sides of the coins shown. Thanks!
    Erillion
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    edited October 2017
    Erillion said:
    Kane72 said:
    Anything more "painful" than a game taking a typical amount of time in development ? And technology evolving during this time, which is normal.

Games of this type typically take between 5 and 7 years development time (there was a famous picture in many threads here that listed typical development times). The Kickstarter campaign was in Oct/Nov 2012, now its Oct. 2017.

Personally i do not feel "pain" when considering those facts.  You do ?

Have fun
    I knew I said I was done for awhile but this changes things.

But you fell for the trap. When this started 5 years ago it wasnt 'typical'. Thats why you guys continue to make excuses for them. But even by your estimations theyre way behind. Because they still dont have anything resembling an MMO yet. This little roll out which I am sure is nothing more than a few additions to the people they let have things early really is just a baby step. And quite frankly they should have had it months ago.

I also see how people say that when these guys get it its generally 2 weeks before its on the Ptu. I doubt thats the case here.

Once again you have to read what they say and dont say and figure out what they really mean. The key word in that is EARLY version. Whatever that means. But at least its something. But in the 'real' world I doubt what the avocados have has changes big enough to warrant a new number (as meaningless as they are). Because they even say in the final paragraphs its a 'modest' goal right now. But theyre also clear to state how massive it is (giving them wiggle room when it doesnt get delivered on time or with half the features).

So basically this is a pre emptive announcement. But at least theyre letting the testers actually test something. SO that at least leads me to believe they have something that actually loads.

But it still highlights the fact that 'the most open development ever' still had to resort to an NDA group of people to test the game ( do that sometimes its really a project still obviously)for them.
    bwwianakiev
    >>>
    But in the 'real' world I doubt what the avocados have has changes big enough to warrant a new number (as meaningless as they are).
    >>>

You COULD read the patch notes  ;-)

Have fun

Erillion said:
    >>>
    But in the 'real' world I doubt what the avocados have has changes big enough to warrant a new number (as meaningless as they are).
    >>>

Have fun

are they patch notes for what they actually put into the testers hands or generic patch notes CLAIMING what 3.0 is allegedly going to be?
    rodarin said:
    are they patch notes for what they actually put into the testers hands or generic patch notes CLAIMING what 3.0 is allegedly going to be?
    Find out. Read.

Have fun
    rodarin said:
    Erillion said:
    >>>
    >>>

Have fun

well I saw a document with 714 lines of patch notes. From what I can tell only the first 13 lines are things they added to this little bit the testers go. Of course there is the usual innocuous language in everything they 0present so its hard to tell.

But basically they added 3 moons and an asteroid.. 4 ships, and some missions. They also redid the launcher and patcher.
    rodarin said:
    rodarin said:
    Erillion said:
    >>>
    >>>

Have fun

well I saw a document with 714 lines of patch notes. From what I can tell only the first 13 lines are things they added to this little bit the testers go. Of course there is the usual innocuous language in everything they 0present so its hard to tell.

But basically they added 3 moons and an asteroid.. 4 ships, and some missions. They also redid the launcher and patcher.

They added A LOT more than what is listed in the first 13 of 714 lines. And it is in Alpha 3.0. They just asked the Evocati to concentrate on some specific topics first. See below.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Important:

Evocati Focus: New patcher, station traversing, ship spawning, Star Map app, quantum travel, landing, air traffic control (atc) system, quantum fuel usage/balance, hydrogen fuel usage/balance
        All the ships are flyable, but the following are the ships that have had the most attention and focus specifically for this wave of Evocati release: Gladius, Hornet Series, Sabre, Vanguard, Constellation Series, Freelancer, Cutlass Black, Caterpillar, Nox, Dragonfly, Prospector, Aurora series

We would like you to focus on the above for this initial wave of testing and bug reports.

NOTE: Other content and features are in and listed in the notes, but currently not the focus of this testing phase
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Have fun